PDA

View Full Version : Revolver cutting your fingers at front of Cylinder.

cyrus
06-12-2009, 9:32 AM
Revolver cutting your fingers at front of Cylinder. I heard on myth busters this was provening to be true. Do all Revlolvers have gas escaping between the wheel cylinder and barrel?

Black Majik
06-12-2009, 9:35 AM
One of the admins on the RX7 forum blew off his thumb for shooting "thumbs forward" on his S&W500/460(?)

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:38 AM
There's actually a video on YouTube I've seen where a guy was holding a gun thumbs forward and mashed his hand. I can't find it now, but if anyone's got a link? So, to answer your question: Yes. And at great force.

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:39 AM
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-not-to-hold-revolver.html

X-NewYawker
06-12-2009, 9:40 AM
to answer your question -- gas escapes at the barrel/cylinder gap. It's hot enough to erode the inside of the topstrap of revolvers. It can do a number on your flesh.

ke6guj
Do all Revlolvers have gas escaping between the wheel cylinder and barrel?

Yes, with one or two exceptions like the Nagant revolver and that custom revolver that Knight made so that a suppressor could be used on it.

sorensen440
not sure if it happens with small revolvers but your fingers don't belong along side there anyway

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:41 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=502_1201038490

RedRocket
06-12-2009, 9:50 AM
Revolver cutting your fingers at front of Cylinder. I heard on myth busters this was provening to be true. Do all Revlolvers have gas escaping between the wheel cylinder and barrel?

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt291/redrocketAG/38FLASH.jpg

maxicon
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes, gas escapes from the cylinder to barrel gap.

How badly it can hurt you depends on the caliber and load, and gap size.

I've seen several new shooters mildly burned with revolvers shooting .38 special range loads from having their thumb up there. It didn't draw blood or create blisters, but was mildly painful and left black residue.

.357 would probably be worse, but the only serious injuries I've seen have been from mega-caliber revolvers.

bohoki
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
yea i say sue they should have some kind of guard on that thing

or at least a nice big warning along the barrel and on the cylinder

Black Majik
06-12-2009, 10:39 AM

I'm not sure Ruger's revolvers have any more space on their gun for more warning labels.

Rob Roy
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure Ruger's revolvers have any more space on their gun for more warning labels.
LOL:laugh:

tonelar
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
just keep your thumb and fingers behind the front of the cylinder...

another exception is some of the SAA buntlines had a sizeable hole in their top strap to minimize the gas blowing out the sides of the gap.

JTROKS
06-12-2009, 11:33 AM
This is an excellent way of gripping revolvers
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGgrip_0925C.jpg

A lot of shooters that learned and ingrained holding an auto pistol in this manner have felt the wrath of gas escaping from the barrel-cylinder gap of a revolver.

http://www.steelchallenge.com/media/Downloads/Photos/Steel%20Challenge%20Images/SC05-DanielHorner-2.jpg

SteveMartin
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, it happens. Mythbusters did an episode on this very thing. They made a hand analog out of chicken parts and rubber gloves, then wired it to the gun and remotely fired it. The results were not good for the chicken.

As a kid I improperly held a Ruger single six 22 wheelgun and had several minor burns and embedded black marks on my left hand. Lucky for me it was only 22.

doc540
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Model%2036/boom.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/Revolver_gunshot11.jpg

B Strong
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM

High pressure gas exiting the cyclinder gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone will defintely get your attention.

Davo Frostbite
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
I smartly burned my hand by having my palm over the top of a .357 while 'fanning' it with the trigger held down. The pressures involved here can give you anything from a forgettable powder burn to finger dismemberment.

dilligaffrn
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I had a .44 mag that was out of time just a little, I hung my thumb a bit forward, I had unburnt powder and jacket shavings embedded in my thumb for months.

LOL (felt like my left thumb got hammered and baked).

Won't ever do that again!

Live and learn.

kazman
06-12-2009, 2:18 PM
Was just at the range yesterday with my son shooting a 357 (GP100) and he got a little chip in his thumbnail from holding his thumb too close to the cylinder

MasterYong
06-12-2009, 2:47 PM
I stood too close to my GF once at the range and got hit with pretty hot gasses. I was shooting a .45 automatic pistol, and had stepped closer to her to allow the spent casings to go over her head, instead of getting ejected towards her shoulder.

Everything was fine until she switched from .38 special to .357 magnum... OUCH that gas was HOT. Don't stand next to those things- let alone get your hands near them! I didn't have any serious injuries but it startled the hell out of me to have hot gas and what felt like small particles blasted into the side of my face...

cyrus
06-12-2009, 6:09 PM
Ok so part 2

Does a revolver have a lot less power because of this? Especially a 22?

hybridatsun350
06-12-2009, 6:16 PM
Ok so part 2

You do lose some power/velocity, but obviously it's not a huge issue or we all wouldn't still be shooting revolvers! :D

Rekrab
06-12-2009, 6:27 PM
You do lose some power/velocity, but obviously it's not a huge issue or we all wouldn't still be shooting revolvers! :D

I always figured we still shot revolvers because, if all else fails, we can still smack our assailants with them! :D

epetrillo
06-12-2009, 7:24 PM
[QUOTE=JTROKS;2621834]This is an excellent way of gripping revolvers
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/HGgrip_0925C.jpg

I grew up with revolvers, using a hold very similar to this. The first time I shot an autoloader the slide sliced the thumb on my left hand to the bone.

tonelar
06-12-2009, 7:25 PM
I always figured we still shot revolvers because, if all else fails, we can still smack our assailants with them! :D

Cause getting pistol whipped with a 1911 is no deterrent at all.

I grew up with revolvers, using a hold very similar to this. The first time I shot an autoloader the slide sliced the thumb on my left hand to the bone.

So very similar= pretty much different. The above hold wouldn't jeopardize your thumb with either type.

BigDogatPlay
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Ok so part 2

Not at all. There are single action revolvers chambered in .45-70... a rifle cartridge that no semi auto pistol could come anywhere near being able to chamber. The amount of gas effort lost at the cylinder barrel gap is in many ways neglible. Bear in mind also that the constriction of the gap, while a release point for pressure, concentrates the flow of the expanding gases.

Even a .22... keep your booger hooks away from the front of the cylinder.

cassius
06-13-2009, 12:00 AM
yea i say sue they should have some kind of guard on that thing

What? All it takes is having a clue. And READING THE MANUAL.

Like the big glaring warning about the dangers of the cylinder gap on page 14 of this Ruger Redhawk manual
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/16.pdf

Similar warnings are in all the revovler manfs manuals.

It's a symptom of our deliberately erased heritage that so many foolish young folk are running around without any early exposure or guidance re firearms, shallowly following fads like the thumb-forward grip, misapplying it to revolver shooting. Not having any clue what a mistake they are making. And not even bothering to read the plainly stated warnings in the manuals.
I saw that dude at arfcom who blew the end of his offhand thumb all to hell with a S&W500. He'd never shot a revolver before, yet chose that to start with. He too ignorantly spoke of suing for his foolish mistake.

NSR500
06-13-2009, 12:12 AM
I still like revolvers because I don't have to go searching for my brass. :)

mat19er8
06-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Should link this to the "What is the best gun for CCW so if you need to you can shoot it in your pocket?" thread.

taloft
06-13-2009, 1:04 AM
In addition to the hot gas escaping, you run the risk of being hit by lead shavings. I've been nailed by a slightly out of time revolver while standing to the side. It wasn't fun.

JTROKS
06-13-2009, 7:13 AM
I still like revolvers because I don't have to go searching for my brass. :)

+1 on that.