PDA

View Full Version : 1911 vs. SIG P226

Rob360
06-12-2009, 7:42 AM
I'm in the market for a new gun, but I am having a hard time deciding between a 1911 and a SIG P226.

The P226 fits in my hands perfectly. I've never held any gun that feels like such a natural extension of my hand as the SIG. I've not been able to shoot one though, and I am a little concerned about the take-up and re-set that this gun is known for. How big of a deal is it?

Also, I'm not quite clear on how the DA/SA works.

It seems that a 1911 would be better in some ways since they are only SA. I love the looks of 1911's, but I don't know how much sway that should have in my decision.

The 1911's that I have held feel good, but not as good as the P226.

How would a 1911 compare to the P226 in terms of reliability? Would the 1911 require a lot more maintenance?

If I go with a 1911, it will be a 9mm version, which limits my choices.

I sum, what are the pros and cons of each of these? Thanks in advance! :cool:

Black Majik
06-12-2009, 7:59 AM
My P226 is, without a doubt, my most reliable handgun. Times when my Glock has failed (my fault really for changing/testing spring weights and such) my P226 has always kept ticking.

DA/SA would be double action first (hammer down), single action for subsequent shots. It should be carried decocked (located on left grip) in double action. After the first shot, the gun cycles, and cocks the hammer. The rest of your shots will be in single action. The shooter can decock the weapon at any time in his course of fire.

For the range, DA isn't necessary. The shooter may choose to shoot in SA only. Load magazine, chamber, the gun is cocked. At this point the shooter can either choose to decock the gun into DA, or leave in SA. Never carry it in SA however.

SIGs are great guns. Well... for the most part. Some are weary of current production SIGs (I'm one of them). Chances are, the SIG will beat the 1911 in reliability. The longer slack and reset isn't really too big of a deal once you become used to it. I (I'm sure many others as well) still prefers the shorter slack and reset.

1911s are fun as well. One mode to carry (condition 1). Cocked hammer, safety on. Point, safety off. For the most part it'll have a more user friendly trigger. Short slack, non-hinged trigger, very short reset and for the most part a cleaner break.

They're really two different guns. Best thing would be not only to try a P226 and a 1911, try out many brands and models the 1911s have to offer. They're all different as opposed to the one maker for P226s.

Good luck.

Noobert
06-12-2009, 8:00 AM
Sig>1911

will227457
06-12-2009, 8:10 AM
two totally diffrent syle of guns...

It's like comparing apples and oranges....

go with the one that fits your hand better

Scorpiusdeus
06-12-2009, 8:11 AM
This seems like a real no brainer to me.

The 1911 is a wonderful weapon and it shoots a respectable round. Nothing wrong with it....

The Sig however is simply handgun perfection. Your first comments are really what a gun is all about all other things being equal.

Most modern day 1911s come out of the box ready to rock and roll. Older models sometimes required some fine tuning for reliability.

The Sig Sauer P226 has ALWAYS been out of the box reliable. You can shoot 9mm, .40 S&W (my favorite) or .357 sig in one gun. I have owned at least 5 P226s, I still own two in .40 S&W and I have a Bar-Sto barrel for 9mm.

Nothing against the 1911, but really the Sig is a modern day combat weapon that is as good or better than all others.

IMHO,buy a P226 in .40 S&W, then buy the .357sig barrel and a BarSto 9mm conversion barrel and you'll have 3 SUPERIOR guns in one.

The DA/SA, like so many other concerns, thing is a non issue once you train on it.

IMHO the P226 is easier to break down and clean.

Ammo cost and availability may or may no be considerations for you, but the 9mm and .40 S&W are less expensive than the .45. If you go the three caliber route that I've suggested, you'll almost always be able to find one of those caliber somewhere.

cineski
06-12-2009, 8:12 AM
Rob, what do you shoot now? This can play heavily on a few things. Not as much, though, as what this new gun will be used for. Range use? Self defense? The SIG 226 is a stellar gun. I'll assume you mean to get a 9mm for any of these choices? The 1911 is a great gun, too, but much more specialized if you intend to use it for self defense. For target use, it's really hard to beat a 1911. Especially in 9mm and I'd like to get one someday myself.

mike452
06-12-2009, 8:50 AM
You just need to handle a nice 1911 before making your decision. You have limited options for a 9mm. My Kimber 9mm is great. You may like the fat grip of the P226 vs. the single stack of the 1911. Try to handle double stack models if you can find one.

You have to shoot them both! Don't make your decision base on the grip feel!
I really dislike the HK USP45 because it jumps too much. Now I have the Expert and it is much better.

Maintenance for the 1911 is simple. I clean it once every 3 trips to the range and more often on the expensive models. Just need someone to show you how not to make the idiot mark the first time and you are set. I will get my first P226 in 11 days.

Warning: Don’t start on the 1911s if you don’t want to start an addiction!

Black Majik
06-12-2009, 8:52 AM
Warning: Donít start on the 1911s if you donít want to start an addiction!

Wise words. :)

Rob360
06-12-2009, 8:53 AM
Thanks for all the great replies thus far, it is appreciated. I'm new here, and I think I'm going to like this place. :cool:

Rob, what do you shoot now? This can play heavily on a few things. Not as much, though, as what this new gun will be used for. Range use? Self defense? The SIG 226 is a stellar gun. I'll assume you mean to get a 9mm for any of these choices? The 1911 is a great gun, too, but much more specialized if you intend to use it for self defense. For target use, it's really hard to beat a 1911. Especially in 9mm and I'd like to get one someday myself.

Good questions, and I should have mentioned more of these issues in my original post.

I currently shoot 9mm (an older Ruger P85) and that's what I want to stay with. But this next gun purchase will be used largely for target practice, although it will also serve as home defense. I will not be carrying.

BossHog
06-12-2009, 8:55 AM
My P226 is, without a doubt, my most reliable handgun. Times when my Glock has failed (my fault really for changing/testing spring weights and such) my P226 has always kept ticking.

Exactly my experience as well.

Rob360
06-12-2009, 8:56 AM
You just need to handle a nice 1911 before making your decision. You have limited options for a 9mm. My Kimber 9mm is great. You may like the fat grip of the P226 vs. the single stack of the 1911. Try to handle double stack models if you can find one.

You have to shoot them both! Don't make your decision base on the grip feel!

The hard part is finding a way to shoot a 1911. The gun ranges don't rent them!

I've already tried a Glock 19 and Beretta 92. Both were fine, but neither fit my hands nearly as well as the SIG 226. I have not shot the SIG yet either.

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:09 AM
Well, a 226 is perfectly adequate for target practice. But any platform that's used for home defense should be well thought out. I never recommend 1911's simply because it's a specialized platform that you must dedicate yourself to in order to use successfully while under stress. A 1911 is meant to be cocked and locked. Every time you draw a 1911 you flip the thumb safety off. Unless you're going to train exclusively with a 1911 for self defense, you're much better off getting a DA/SA or DAO platform for home defense. Even a DA/SA semi auto takes a bit more training than DAO. Gotta remember to decock. Easy enough at the range, but remember that in a home defense situation you're going to be pumping with adrenaline.

Thanks for all the great replies thus far, it is appreciated. I'm new here, and I think I'm going to like this place. :cool:

Good questions, and I should have mentioned more of these issues in my original post.

I currently shoot 9mm (an older Ruger P85) and that's what I want to stay with. But this next gun purchase will be used largely for target practice, although it will also serve as home defense. I will not be carrying.

cineski
06-12-2009, 9:10 AM
Springfield XD. Problem solved. They're the best polymer for people who don't like Glocks. Much cheaper, too. Will leave you some money for ammo, weaponlight, training.

The hard part is finding a way to shoot a 1911. The gun ranges don't rent them!

I've already tried a Glock 19 and Beretta 92. Both were fine, but neither fit my hands nearly as well as the SIG 226. I have not shot the SIG yet either.

Boo_Radley
06-12-2009, 9:32 AM
You know, it's funny because I felt the same way the first time I held a 226; it fit like it was designed for my hand. On this particular range trip, I was trying out my friend's HK USP & Sig226, both in 9mm.

What made me purchase the HK USP instead was determined after I fired 100 rounds through each handgun. Although the 226 felt perfect to me, at the end of the trip, my groupings were much tighter with the USP than the 226. Now, I wouldn't call this the perfect scientific case study, because I kept alternating between the two every 10 rounds, and perhaps there is a learning curve for each make/model. But for me, I think I felt an instant connection with the USP. Your results may be different, but I highly recommend renting a 226 (and a USP) at a local range before you make your decision.

Rob Roy
06-12-2009, 9:52 AM
Springfield XD. Problem solved. They're the best polymer for people who don't like Glocks. Much cheaper, too. Will leave you some money for ammo, weaponlight, training.
I tried to like XDs, but couldn't convince myself; there is something in them that I feel falls short from Glocks.

gregshin
06-12-2009, 9:58 AM
to me theres nothing like how the 1911 fits in your hand. the grip, the angle of the grip, the trigger, the safety, and the mag release...its so easy to manipulate for me. the p226 feels bulky to me.

i own a p226 combat w/ SRT and 2 1911 one ed brown special forces /w rail and a nighthawk 10-8. i prefer the 1911's all the way...that includes the mil specs, my colts, and even my norincos.

cineski
06-12-2009, 10:02 AM
:D I'm just the opposite! I've tried so hard to like Glocks. Just can't. My XD45c is an awesome gun.....to me.

I tried to like XDs, but couldn't convince myself; there is something in them that I feel falls short from Glocks.

tonelar
06-12-2009, 10:11 AM
You're pitting my two fave 9mms against each other.
I enjoy shooting my Colt Govt Model and Sig Sauer P226. Get the one that you feel fits your hand the best. They are both super capable 9mm handguns.

If it makes any difference, I like the 1911 a little more at the range, while everywhere else, I favor the P226.

If possible; find a nice West German made Sig. You will not regret it.

wildhawker
06-12-2009, 10:23 AM
A 1911 in 9mm is a tough platform to beat for fun, target shooting and some styles/class. of competition.

The P226 in .40, as perceived by both me and my wife, delivers a sharper recoil than even our .45 1911s (likely due to the alloy frame and mass distribution/proportions of the P226). That said, I love the P226 for its ability to eat near anything, grip feel and smooth action, not to mention the option to DA/SA.

If ammo costs and availability are a factor for you, a non-.45 1911 or a P226 may be your better options. Also, you may wish to consider reloading if you haven't already.

All that having been said, however, I am more accurate with a 1911 and truly enjoy many aspects of the design. I see many more 1911s going into the safe; I would doubt many Sigs will become long-term residents.

John Browning created some very costly addictions.

Tho_Sun
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
So when I bought my first gun, I did as much research as I could and ended up buying the Sig. The Pro's seem to out shine all others. I even went to L.A. gun club and shot a bunch of different brands and came up with the same conclusion. The problem was the only single action I shot was a revolver. It was great and I thought the trigger was unique to revolvers. 3 Years later, a friend introduces me to the 1911. Damn, I shoot much better with the cleaner trigger break and short reset. It's something my Sig will ever be able to do. No gunsmith will be able to do that to a Sig. Since my girl and I bought the Sig together, I can't sell it due to sentimental reasons. On the topic of fitting your hand, for popular guns like Sig's and 1911's, don't worry too much about the fit. There are low profile and wider finger grooved grips you can change around to make the fit absolutely perfect. That's also the fun of owning your own fire arm. It's all about customization. There maybe 100k P226's out there, but this one is unique to me.

Oh and to give you an idea of of what I mean about the clean trigger break.

When I begin to pull the trigger on a P226 in SA mode, first comes the slack... then the bang. As the finger slowly returns to the reset, it goes pretty far forward before the reset then the slack comes as you pull again then bang. If you have a short reset installed for a costly amount, then the slack from the pull is still there but the slack from the reset is pretty much gone.

The 1911 goes like this.

Place finger on the trigger, bang.... reset.... bang.... easy~

This may not seem like much, but it means a lot for me~

windsheer
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
to me theres nothing like how the 1911 fits in your hand. the grip, the angle of the grip, the trigger, the safety, and the mag release...its so easy to manipulate for me. the p226 feels bulky to me.

i own a p226 combat w/ SRT and 2 1911 one ed brown special forces /w rail and a nighthawk 10-8. i prefer the 1911's all the way...that includes the mil specs, my colts, and even my norincos.

Comparing custom 1911's to a Sig 226 just aint fair, who wouldn't like a hand fitted 1911 thats only almost 3 times the price.

Sig for the price is as reliable as one can get for the money. The hammer down with a round in the chamber is my favorite way to hide a loaded gun. Whether on me or in a safe or laying around under a newspaprer or whatever.
I have 3 sigs & 5 1911 and if I ever need a gun for defense it will be my Sig 220. I would get a sig first then get 2 or 3 1911"s asap.

Hopefully never but if you ever use a gun in a real self defese situation it will be a year or much longer If you get it back .

dilligaffrn
06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
WTS SIG 226R in 40
WTB Colt, Kimber, S&W, Springfield, Brown, Baer, Wilson, SVI, STI, Para...1911a1 in .45 ACP

LOL!

JMHO

both are good guns, JMB's 1911 design is the classic!

Butter
06-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Get both! You know you wanna. :) In any case, I really wanted to like Sigs. I have shot several of them, but in each case except for the P239 and the P225/P6, the grip is too wide for my hands to accomodate the standard trigger pull. I always have to cant my hand to the side so I can deposit the right amount of finger pad from my index finger on the trigger so I can fire the first double action shot.

In any case, that's why I own 1911s and XDs. :)

Though I know several people who love and enjoy their Sigs. Good guns.

Rob360
06-12-2009, 12:14 PM
You know, it's funny because I felt the same way the first time I held a 226; it fit like it was designed for my hand. On this particular range trip, I was trying out my friend's HK USP & Sig226, both in 9mm.

What made me purchase the HK USP instead was determined after I fired 100 rounds through each handgun. Although the 226 felt perfect to me, at the end of the trip, my groupings were much tighter with the USP than the 226. Now, I wouldn't call this the perfect scientific case study, because I kept alternating between the two every 10 rounds, and perhaps there is a learning curve for each make/model. But for me, I think I felt an instant connection with the USP. Your results may be different, but I highly recommend renting a 226 (and a USP) at a local range before you make your decision.

I would like to shoot a p226 before buying, but my local range (Riverside Magnum) does not have a 226 in 9mm.

Anyone know of a range fairly close to Riverside that rents a P226 in 9mm?

snowdog650
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
The P226 fits in my hands perfectly.

There's your answer.:cool:

gregshin
06-12-2009, 1:23 PM
these are production guns from nighthawk and ed brown. i never had these customized in any way or form. so im comparing a production 1911 vs production p226. comparing a p226 to any 1911 is actually apples to oranges.

you really want the best 9mm for the money? i'd say look into a cz-75 or cz-75 sp01. i got $400 cz's that put my sig p226 to shame.

Comparing custom 1911's to a Sig 226 just aint fair, who wouldn't like a hand fitted 1911 thats only almost 3 times the price.

Sig for the price is as reliable as one can get for the money. The hammer down with a round in the chamber is my favorite way to hide a loaded gun. Whether on me or in a safe or laying around under a newspaprer or whatever.
I have 3 sigs & 5 1911 and if I ever need a gun for defense it will be my Sig 220. I would get a sig first then get 2 or 3 1911"s asap.

Hopefully never but if you ever use a gun in a real self defese situation it will be a year or much longer If you get it back .

trinydex
06-12-2009, 1:30 PM
I'm in the market for a new gun, but I am having a hard time deciding between a 1911 and a SIG P226.

The P226 fits in my hands perfectly. I've never held any gun that feels like such a natural extension of my hand as the SIG. I've not been able to shoot one though, and I am a little concerned about the take-up and re-set that this gun is known for. How big of a deal is it?

Also, I'm not quite clear on how the DA/SA works.

It seems that a 1911 would be better in some ways since they are only SA. I love the looks of 1911's, but I don't know how much sway that should have in my decision.

The 1911's that I have held feel good, but not as good as the P226.

How would a 1911 compare to the P226 in terms of reliability? Would the 1911 require a lot more maintenance?

If I go with a 1911, it will be a 9mm version, which limits my choices.

I sum, what are the pros and cons of each of these? Thanks in advance! :cool:

i don't think a 1911 in 9mm will ever be as reliable as a sig226 which is built to fire 9mm.

tonelar
06-12-2009, 6:52 PM
gregshin makes a very valid point;

Have you shot a CZ75? They're great 9mm pistols.

Tho_Sun
06-12-2009, 6:54 PM
Actually, Springfield's 1911 are built on a 9mm frame. What your thinking of is the Kimber 1911 9mm which is built on a .45 frame.

Tho_Sun
06-12-2009, 6:56 PM
Forgot, CZ 75 sp-01 changed into a SA with a trigger job is my second choice over my Sig p226.

bohoki
06-12-2009, 7:17 PM
a sig is to a 1911 is what a 1911 is to a peacemaker just a different generation

i like my 1911 i like my sig

i keep my sig close

Rob Roy
06-12-2009, 9:11 PM
I shot Sig and 1911 side by side and felt more comfortable with Sig. Although, I have this urge to have 1911 in my collection no matter what. Go figure...

chefdude
06-12-2009, 9:21 PM
I own both, a Sig P220 Combat and a Kimber Custom TLE 2.....I have never had a FTF or a FTE on the Sig, I get them a little more frequent in the 1911. The trigger is great on both but the 1911 wins on trigger break. I have to say I enjoy shooting the Sig more and I feel it is more reliable. The 1911 sits in my safe the Sig is in my night stand.......

JJ1911
06-12-2009, 10:28 PM
My 1911 is for range use, great target gun. I actually use a Springfield XD .40 for defense, but between 1911 and SIG i'd pick SIG everday of the week and twice on Sunday.

GoodEyeSniper
06-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Does sig make any models with safeties? I just really don't like the idea of carrying on DA, I find cocked and locked much more to my taste. Though I haven't actually carried in everyday situations, but it just sits better with me.

That said, try out a CZ 75. I did, and fell in love :D DA/SA WITH a safety, which is the only thing I don't like about sigs. Though I got the compact .40, and I'm already hankering for a full sized 9mm, whether it's another CZ, browning Hi Point(REALLY want one of these, but can't find any deals, $900 for a 20 year old gun??), 1911 in 9mm, 92fs, etc...

Oh, and my range rents around 5 different 1911 models last time I checked. To whoever said theirs doesn't rent any.

kennmark
06-13-2009, 12:25 AM
it's like comparing a sports sedan and a sports coupe.... both sports haha.

i have both. P226 Blackwater edition (never failed) and Kimber Tactical Ultra Carry II also a reliable 3" barrel 1911.

MarioS
06-13-2009, 1:59 AM
The P226 fits in my hands perfectly. I've never held any gun that feels like such a natural extension of my hand as the SIG.

This seems like one of the most important things, IMO. Get out and shoot one as soon as you can to see how you like it.

The trigger can be adjusted as needed, the feel of how a gun fits in your hand cannot, unless you go with a different model/frame size.

Edit: The slight take-up in the p226 trigger can be somewhat beneficial in some cases...especially in a LE sense. If you have your finger on the trigger and twitch slightly, you may not have pulled it enough to fire it. There are a good number of videos out there of officers getting twitchy and discharging their weapons into the ground accidentally. This can be made up for with better technique though, IMO. It really shouldn't be a problem. I, for one, do not like take-up in my triggers.

Midian
06-13-2009, 5:27 AM
I have both. Love both. That Sig engineering is pretty sweet, though.

thefurball
06-13-2009, 5:43 AM
The P226 fits in my hands perfectly. I've never held any gun that feels like such a natural extension of my hand as the SIG.

You answered your own question. :)

jdl
06-13-2009, 1:01 PM
I had the same question as the original poster. I decided to get them both. I'm trying to order a Sig 226 in .40 and 30 days later should have a Colt 1911. I have a G19 so my needs in 9mm are taken care.

leitung
06-13-2009, 2:28 PM
Both are super guns, I own a Kimber, and I tell ya it's sweet.

Come October, when I get my Investment money back, I am going to get a P226R in .40S&W

Rob360
06-13-2009, 5:30 PM
I had the same question as the original poster. I decided to get them both. I'm trying to order a Sig 226 in .40 and 30 days later should have a Colt 1911. I have a G19 so my needs in 9mm are taken care.

Man, I wish I had the funds to do that. Things are a bit tight.

smittty
06-13-2009, 5:37 PM
[QUOTE=Rob360;2621139]I'm in the market for a new gun, but I am having a hard time deciding between a 1911 and a SIG P226.QUOTE]

Very easy choice, Sig 226 without question!

Rob360
06-13-2009, 5:43 PM
[QUOTE=Rob360;2621139]I'm in the market for a new gun, but I am having a hard time deciding between a 1911 and a SIG P226.QUOTE]

Very easy choice, Sig 226 without question!

That is the way I'm leaning, but why do you feel this way?

Kali_M14
06-13-2009, 5:54 PM
both are great guns but my choice is still the 1911...I just don't like the long DA pull on the first round. I have noticed that most of the instuctors that I have had like the 1911 hands down. In the two cases that I know of in training at front sight, I know that on both ocassions where an ND has occurred it has been with a Sig ( forgot to decock.). Also, I had a friend who loved his sig until he went to class and noticed the big difference in shot placement and speed when compared to others who had glocks and 1911s. He has since gone to a xd and has gotten his DG at frontsight after 3 tries with his sig. food for thought....I'm still getting a sig but it won't be my primary go to gun

Rob360
06-13-2009, 6:07 PM
both are great guns but my choice is still the 1911...I just don't like the long DA pull on the first round. I have noticed that most of the instuctors that I have had like the 1911 hands down. In the two cases that I know of in training at front sight, I know that on both ocassions where an ND has occurred it has been with a Sig ( forgot to decock.). Also, I had a friend who loved his sig until he went to class and noticed the big difference in shot placement and speed when compared to others who had glocks and 1911s. He has since gone to a xd and has gotten his DG at frontsight after 3 tries with his sig. food for thought....I'm still getting a sig but it won't be my primary go to gun

After saying all of that and you are still going to get a SIG? Why?

shoupdawg
06-13-2009, 6:53 PM
I never had handguns before so when I decided I wanted a handgun, my preference was a clean slate...in other words...I wasn't leaning towards any gun and let the Internet and the boards do the talking to me. After careful research, I decided to go with Sigs.

I like...
...that it's not polymer (I am now into stainless as the extra weight helps with the recoil and I'm not a leo nor do i ccw carry so weight is not an issue)
...that it's easy to break down (that was a big thing for me)
...i like the DA/SA (there are different "safety" systems and i liked this one)
...i like it's overall (current porduction runs notwithstanding) reputation
...i liked the feel. i have a 220 and p6 (both w. german) single stacks and a stainless 226 double stack and they all feel great

I could probably shoot better with a 1911. longer barrel, sweeter trigger. But i went with the sigs. Although get a short reset trigger job and you have a pretty darn good trigger.

I also wanted to get 4 specific rounds on one platform and i did:
sig 220 - .45 acp
sig p6 - 9 mm
sig 226 - .40 s&w, .357 sig

If you go with a 226, I would second what others here have mentioned...get the .40 s&w so you can have 3 guns in one...buy the .357 sig barrel and 9mm barsto barrel and there you go.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/shoupdawg/IMG_0861.jpg

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo120/shoupdawg/IMG_0868.jpg

BlackViper
06-13-2009, 6:59 PM
I have a 226 in 9mm, its actually an ex LEO gun with holster wear and everything (adds character). It runs like a clock and I prefer the lack of a safety for my HD gun.

That said, I'm leaning heavily towards a 1911 in .45 to have something different. Although I also really want a 220 combat, and I'm intrigued by the new 250 too (my dad lives out of state and the roster isn't an issue for me).

Life is short, so as time/budget allow I say own one of each :)

Kali_M14
06-13-2009, 8:04 PM
After saying all of that and you are still going to get a SIG? Why?
Variety my freind. Iwill never use it for class though

223Dude
06-13-2009, 9:32 PM
Just my opinion here, but I have several 1911's and 1 Sig. My only Sig is a P226-X5 in 9mm which is super accurate and very easy to shoot. It fits my hand like it was made for it. As much as I love my Sig, I still favor my Springfield MC Operator over it. I just shoot it better. You really need to try them side by side to see what you really prefer. Everyone is different. Either way though, you will be getting a great firearm. Good Luck to you.

BunnySlayer
06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
You might as well be asking a bunch of car guys if you should get a Corvette or a Crown Victoria. Different cars, different purpose, different answers. Pick which one suits you, then buy em both! remember this though, I sig is a tool, a 1911 is a hobby.

Gem1950
06-14-2009, 6:36 AM
sig is a tool, a 1911 is a hobby.

You got that right!

DeLaSeoulRZN
06-14-2009, 7:22 AM
remember this though, I sig is a tool, a 1911 is a hobby.

funny...i was thinking the same thing. was running through the same exercise with glocks so picked up a 21sf and kimber and figured 'may the better pistol win'. fast forward several months later. have since sold the glock and picked up several 1911's. Throw in the smithing and 1911 related books, and an obsessive amount of doo dads later, I AM HOOKED.

Chromedragon
06-14-2009, 8:30 AM
I think the general gist of this thread is correct you need to handle and shoot the guns before you buy.
I know several ranges in norcal that rent both some even will give you rental credit towards the purchase of some of the 1911's

i own both cause im silly that way and the sig is just as you described it a natural feeling extension. I love my 1911 (Springfield Armory Operator MC) but the thing kicks like a mule so my groupings are not as tight but it is a lot of fun to shoot. My sig is the 226 Blackwater and it is beautiful and shoots very nicely and the trigger is just different you will get used to it the more rounds you put down range.

just .02

Rob360
06-14-2009, 8:31 AM
You might as well be asking a bunch of car guys if you should get a Corvette or a Crown Victoria. Different cars, different purpose, different answers. Pick which one suits you, then buy em both! remember this though, I sig is a tool, a 1911 is a hobby.

That's probably a good way to put it.

What I really have to answer for myself is what I want: a tool or a hobby? Since I am just getting back into shooting after a long hiatus, I don't know how deep into the 1911 hobby I would want to get. With the SIG, I can basically just go out and shoot when I want to. I see myself spending more on a 1911 if I go that route.

I went to another shop yesterday, and played around with a 229 and a few 1911's. The SIG still feels better in my hands. ;)

JTROKS
06-14-2009, 8:32 AM
Is this going to be a range gun or defense?

Rob360
06-14-2009, 8:46 AM
Is this going to be a range gun or defense?

It can be either/both, but mostly a range gun.

I already have a Ruger 9mm that I will not be selling, so I can rely on that for home defense.

KegCommando
06-14-2009, 8:52 AM
If I'm reading things correctly.

The Sig will be the wife you can neglect but will always be there.

The 1911 will be the sexy girlfriend you have to keep sinking money into.

What happens if you get a Sig made 1911?

If you can afford it, get a nice girlfriend.

Rob360
06-14-2009, 8:57 AM
If I'm reading things correctly.

The Sig will be the wife you can neglect but will always be there.

The 1911 will be the sexy girlfriend you have to keep sinking money into.

What happens if you get a Sig made 1911?

If you can afford it, get a nice girlfriend.

:D

I'm loving these analogies!

avidtest
06-14-2009, 7:01 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the P226 DAK. DA, but w/ light trigger pull. Just ordered one yesterday. Hope it feels as good as a standard P226.

Sam
06-14-2009, 9:36 PM
I really enjoy the 1911 platform and although I've never fired the Sig, the P226 has never felt that good in my hand.

I love my 1911 (Springfield Armory Operator MC) but the thing kicks like a mule so my groupings are not as tight but it is a lot of fun to shoot.

What is your grip and stance like? I think the .45acp round is a very manageable round in a full size 1911. If your groupings are large because you are flinching before pulling the trigger mix in some dry fire practice during range visits.

Rob360
06-15-2009, 6:58 AM
I really enjoy the 1911 platform and although I've never fired the Sig, the P226 has never felt that good in my hand.

Interesting. If I get a SIG, it will largely be due to the fact that it feels nearly perfect in my hands.

drunktank
06-15-2009, 7:33 AM
I didn't read all 7 pages, but you mention several times how good it feels in your hands.

It might be mentioned already, but this could be misleading. For example, I could have bought a Beretta for half the price of my HK. I got the HK cause it felt better in my hand. Hindsight being 20/20 I realize I can shoot more than twice as good with the Beretta, even though the HK felt better in my hand at a gun shop. Shooting it is different and I know I'm not the only one's who's experienced this. So, try before you buy if at all possible is what I'm saying!

Hope this helps you any.

Rob360
06-15-2009, 8:40 AM
I didn't read all 7 pages, but you mention several times how good it feels in your hands.

It might be mentioned already, but this could be misleading. For example, I could have bought a Beretta for half the price of my HK. I got the HK cause it felt better in my hand. Hindsight being 20/20 I realize I can shoot more than twice as good with the Beretta, even though the HK felt better in my hand at a gun shop. Shooting it is different and I know I'm not the only one's who's experienced this. So, try before you buy if at all possible is what I'm saying!

Hope this helps you any.

I agree with this. You don't get a feel for the trigger action (and other things) until you actually shoot the gun.

This is what I am trying to do, but it is a challenge as the local range doesn't have 1911's to rent. Also, they do have SIG's, but not in 9mm. :(

drunktank
06-15-2009, 6:37 PM
Magnum Range in Rancho Cucamoga as both if I remember correctly. I'll check next time I'm there. If you decide to go with a USP, you're welcome to try mine out.

Joe in Dublin
06-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Take a look at a 220 Elite...

TenSeven
06-16-2009, 1:35 AM
I read most of the pages in this thread...

I have a 2008 Kimber 1911 and a P226.

After X-rounds thru each and when it comes to "what gun would I grab in a SHTF situation"?

Without a second thought, it would be the P226.

300 thru the Kimber, nothing but FT-x's.

500 thru the sig P226, flawless.

Oh, and after ~200 rounds thru the Kimber the right-side (I'm a lefty) safety decided it was done and had to be replaced.

Yeah... 1911's are the greatest... or not...

Rob360
06-16-2009, 7:18 AM
I read most of the pages in this thread...

I have a 2008 Kimber 1911 and a P226.

After X-rounds thru each and when it comes to "what gun would I grab in a SHTF situation"?

Without a second thought, it would be the P226.

300 thru the Kimber, nothing but FT-x's.

500 thru the sig P226, flawless.

Oh, and after ~200 rounds thru the Kimber the right-side (I'm a lefty) safety decided it was done and had to be replaced.

That's not good regarding the Kimber. Disappointing to say the least. Sadly, I have read quite a few posts like this at various forums regarding the newer Kimbers.

Rob360
06-16-2009, 7:27 AM
Take a look at a 220 Elite...

I want to stay with 9mm.

Sam
06-16-2009, 7:56 AM

Maybe you should get to know a 1911 that isn't a lemon.

BunnySlayer
06-16-2009, 12:47 PM
I have three 1911's. Two Colts and a Smith. The Smith is box stock and shoots great. I use it for HD as I dont want to loose one of my $2,500.00 custom guns to an evidence locker should I have to use it on a $2.00 idiot. All however feed flawlessly with any factory ammo I have put through them and of coarse the more $ you put into a 1911, the better it performs. Kind of like a G string in that regard.

Midian
06-16-2009, 1:07 PM
Just buy the bloody Sig. Then get a 1911 after the new buzz wears off.

Everybody wins!

Midian
06-16-2009, 1:09 PM
the more $ you put into a 1911, the better it performs. Kind of like a G string in that regard.

Now that's funny.

Joe in Dublin
06-16-2009, 3:43 PM
if u want the 9, get the new wilson

Rob360
06-16-2009, 6:51 PM
if u want the 9, get the new wilson

I'd love to.

Can I borrow some cash? :eek:;)

woodibly
06-16-2009, 8:06 PM
Have you thought about the felt recoil? Most 1911s are full steel as most 226s are full aluminum.

Personally, I would get a 226 in your case. I have yet to find a pistol that felt like an extension of my hand and if I did, it'd be mine.

Also, the 226 is pretty much set it and forget it. There aren't too many mods to go crazy about, but if you want you can send it to grayguns to make it feel even more amazing-er. I want both guns, but when I get my 1911, I know I'll be spending hours a day looking at cool parts and modifications.

Lawrence

Rob360
06-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Well, right now I am leaning towards the P226. It probably makes more sense for me. A 1911 may be in my future though.

cmace22
06-19-2009, 1:28 PM
Ive owned an HK usp 40, G22, G21sf XD45 and a Kimber 1911. The Kimber has out lasted them all.

The feel accuracy and dependability of the 1911 is what keeps it around. I have aprox 2k rounds in it.

I have had some malfunctions but all can be atributed to early break in problems, yes it took about 500 rounds to get to running right, and not so good ammo (wolf) being run through it.

I have also been thinking of geting a sig 226. But I do already have a 1911 and a G21sf.

The only way I would ever sell my kimber is to fund another 1911.

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 5:39 PM
If money is more of a concern - then purchase the sig.

But, if you are able to spend a little more money, then I'd highly recommend a 1911.

Nothing beats a crisp trigger that breaks like glass on a high quality SA pistol.

Highly recommend you look at an Ed Brown Special Forces. When you rack that slide back it'll feel like ball bearings on glass.

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 5:42 PM
Ive owned an HK usp 40, G22, G21sf XD45 and a Kimber 1911. The Kimber has out lasted them all.

The feel accuracy and dependability of the 1911 is what keeps it around. I have aprox 2k rounds in it.

I have had some malfunctions but all can be atributed to early break in problems, yes it took about 500 rounds to get to running right, and not so good ammo (wolf) being run through it.

I have also been thinking of geting a sig 226. But I do already have a 1911 and a G21sf.

The only way I would ever sell my kimber is to fund another 1911.

I'm with you brother.

I own a Kimber custom 2 TLE - (same gun used by LAPD Swat). There's no way I'd sell my Kimber.

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 5:50 PM

That's just your opinion dude.

cmace22
06-19-2009, 5:55 PM
I'm with you brother.

I own a Kimber custom 2 TLE - (same gun used by LAPD Swat). There's no way I'd sell my Kimber.

Ya love it. I got the TLE/RL.

Rob360
06-19-2009, 7:18 PM
If money is more of a concern - then purchase the sig.

But, if you are able to spend a little more money, then I'd highly recommend a 1911.

Nothing beats a crisp trigger that breaks like glass on a high quality SA pistol.

Highly recommend you look at an Ed Brown Special Forces. When you rack that slide back it'll feel like ball bearings on glass.

I have a membership at a range and have fired all the range rental 9s, keep in mind these are rentals that are abused. They all shot about 2" groups at 20'. Then I picked up the range abused sig 226, damn near same hole groups at 20'. There is a reason elite military and police forces around the world issue the sig 226. The G17 was the only one that I could double tap faster with.

Well, you guys really make this an easy decision.

Not.

;)

EdBrownie
06-19-2009, 7:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8a_n3phvb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Hey bro,

I know that IPSC, and things like that are completely not what your into. but if you watch these competitors in competitions - the most advanced shooters and competition levels all involve Single Action pistols - the 1911 (or the 2011).

Just buy a 1911 man. you know you want one.

Rob360
06-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Great vids. Yeah, that does kinda make me want one. :D

BunnySlayer
06-19-2009, 10:40 PM
That's just your opinion dude.
Of coarse it's just my opinion. Thats what forums are for. In fact thats what he was asking for, an opinion. Dude.

Texwanders
06-19-2009, 11:16 PM
They are, (duh :D ) different guns, designed decades apart.

The Sig was designed by...umm, we don't really know who designed it, probably a committee of talented engineers who worked for Sig. It is a gun that was intended for threat management, and to answer the concern about Condition One carry of the 1911 - which some administrative types find objectionable. It is a well designed and well made pistol. Compared to carrying a 1911 with an empty chamber, it is faster to bring into action, when it is carried in a decocked condition. The ergonomics are nice, and it is easy to transition from revolver to the Sig DA/SA action.

The 1911 was designed by one of the greatest mechanical geniuses who ever lived, John Browning. By that point in his career he was already very successful, and no doubt had much help in making the actual designs and prototypes, but everyone acknowledges that it's his design. It was, as one collector put it, designed as an uncompromising close quarter battle implement, to save its owner's life in life and death situations. It was designed with excellent ergonomics, long before anyone ever coined the word. It was designed for guys who would later say things like, "...if it wasn't dangerous ma'am, I wouldn't be carrying it...".

1911's have their quirks - partly because the patents have long expired, and many folks make them now. When well made, they are as reliable as anything else out there. I have never found anything as accurate in rapid fire. In .45 ACP, they can reliably hold 8+1 shots. In 10mm, they can hold 9+1 shots, and go head to head with the .357 magnum in power. 98 years after its birth, it is not obsolete.

The Sig is a very nice pistol, but I collect 1911's. :D

snaggletooth
06-20-2009, 12:54 AM
Very well said. Honestly you can't really go wrong with either. I say you go with what you feel is best in your hands. Maybe later down the line, you will pick up the other gun. Feel for what is natural to you. Both guns are carried by Texas DPS, so its good to go there.

EdBrownie
06-20-2009, 3:37 AM
Of coarse it's just my opinion. Thats what forums are for. In fact thats what he was asking for, an opinion. Dude.

Easy :). First I want to say that I respect your posts and contributions - it sounds like your an experienced shooter with excellent contributions.

When I first read what I thought you categorized people that use 1911s have them exclusively as a hobby.

I just felt that there are many people who use 1911s for more than just a hobby (take LAPD swat, or the SIS for example, as well as other civilians who carry 1911s and depend their lives on it).

I must also say that you post has a lot of truth to it as well - 1911s are definetely a hobby for me and probably all 1911 owners.

One thing I want to mention - again this just MY opionion -
1. the 1911 is both form and function.
2. the sig is function only.

The post I pictured is an example of a beautiful gun - also a very expensive gun - but is one hell of damn good shooter that I believe would outperform a Sig P 226. Just my opinion.

Peace - I'm out. Good luck with your decision.

BunnySlayer
06-20-2009, 3:57 AM
Easy :). First I want to say that I respect your posts and contributions - it sounds like your an experienced shooter with excellent contributions.

When I first read what I thought you categorized people that use 1911s have them exclusively as a hobby.
No, not just a hobby. Perfectly functional in any role! I just meant they're addicting! Just ask me I put gunsmiths kids through college feeding my addiction. :D:D:D

Rob360
06-20-2009, 9:14 AM
It would appear that the easiest way for me to resolve my difficult decision is to own both!

Since I can't afford to do that, I will be accepting donations to fund this decision. I think it is only fair, since the opinions here have been fairly evenly split. :D

Please send me a PM asking for my paypal info so you can contribute to my fund.:jump:

cmace22
06-20-2009, 1:03 PM
Well after seeing the vid's posted above and reading some of the post's here, Im gonna buy another 1911!

Variable2147
06-20-2009, 2:18 PM
It would appear that the easiest way for me to resolve my difficult decision is to own both!

Since I can't afford to do that, I will be accepting donations to fund this decision. I think it is only fair, since the opinions here have been fairly evenly split. :D

Please send me a PM asking for my paypal info so you can contribute to my fund.:jump:

That's what I plan to do is buy both but its going to take a long time on a students budget. FWIW I have a 226 2T, I plan to get an elite in .40, a 239 or 229 for carry...then start in with the 1911s. I hope to end up with a custom 1911 in .40 on a caspian frame.

walter
06-20-2009, 3:22 PM
I would pick a 1911 over a 226 any day and twice on Sunday. I hate sig triggers. Feels like a pretty girl you're anxious to bang and then when you put it in all you initially feel is slop

MT1
06-20-2009, 4:09 PM
I would pick a 1911 over a 226 any day and twice on Sunday. I hate sig triggers. Feels like a pretty girl you're anxious to bang and then when you put it in all you initially feel is slop

:rofl2:

Rob360
06-20-2009, 7:16 PM

:eek: