View Full Version : Looking to become a LEO

06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
So I just graduated from UC Davis and I'm looking to be a LEO with SJPD. Any tips/advise? I'm going to take the written test this saturday. Can any of the current LEOs fill me in for the whole process? I'm kinda confused by it all. Thanks for the help

Fire in the Hole
06-12-2009, 4:07 AM
Start out with the search button, as your question has been answered a few hundred times. After you've exhausted that first option, we can fill in any blank spots.

Jonathan Doe
06-12-2009, 6:29 AM
If you decided to become an LEO, just apply it and go throught the process. You will have to go through written test, physical agility, medical, psych eval, back ground etc. Back when I applied for my agency, I didn't even know how much I was making. I found out after I got hired that the salary and benefits are okay.

06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I highly recommend going on some ride alongs with the dept. and perhaps also the Sheriff's dept. also. One of the questions the oral board will ask is, "What have you done to prepare yourself for employment here."

Most depts. want to hear that you have gone on ride alongs with their depts and even other ones. If your intent is to only hire on with SJPD and they know it, they might ask why ride with the Sheriff or any other dept.

A simple answer would be to gain as much insight as possible into how officers handle various situations. Try to ride on different shifts, both in one man/woman or 2 man/women cars. If you have a friend on the dept., do not restrict yourself to riding with them only as it may limit any leo input.

Also, be in good shape prior to any physical agility and if hired, be in excellent shape prior to beginning the academy. The academy is no place to start getting into shape as you will never make it and probably will be terminated.

If you have watched the recent Fox cable show, "The Academy," based on LASD, you will have seen that some cadets failed to be ready before hand and they were terminated. Some for other reasons, but many for not being able to complete the physical requirements such as running, etc.

If your writing skills are poor, along with your spelling, punctuation and grammar, you should take a remedial course to prepare yourself. Many people attempting to enter le, don't realize the inability to put the incident on paper in a concise, well written manner is a very important aspect of the job.

I wish you good luck and please return here with any questions as there are plenty of us willing to assist you if needed.

06-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm scheduled to take the PELLETB in about 7 hours. And I'm attending the orientation class for ride alongs on July 1st. My only concern is that I leave for BOLC in August and do not return till mid-January. I've also e-mailed SJPD to see if I can work/volunteer at the station until I leave. Any other pro-active things I can do?

06-12-2009, 10:58 PM
After the written (which should not be a problem for you) your looking at an oral board. Basically your interviewed by 3 to 5 other people (not neccicarily cops). Essentially they are looking at your life experience and trying to get a 10-20 minute picture of your personality and your morality. Best way I can describe it.

Next your looking at a physical test. Nothing someone who isn't in fairly decent shape can't complete.

You get this far, they are going to hand you a packet of information they want you to fill out. The background investigators are going to want to examine every part of your adult (and some of your teenage) life up to this point. Be 100% truthful and honest. If you lie and they catch you, good luck getting a job for ANY LEO agency.

Next will probably encompass a lie-detector test. Pretty self explainatory.

Then a Cheif's/Captain/ECT Interview.

Conditional Job Offer.

If your serious about becoming an LEO, don't worry about reading books or increasing your cop knowledge. They will teach you how to be a cop in the academy. My advice? Start running now. And then run some more.

06-13-2009, 1:42 AM
If you don't already speak it, start learning Spanish or Vietnamese.