PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226, how is the trigger supposed to be? plus new question on grips

OofieXD
06-11-2009, 3:26 PM
So I just picked up my new to me P226 after the 10 day wait. I got it as a trade for my G34.

Anyway, I was playing with the gun (with snap caps and no live ammo near) and noticed that at SA mode, there is about a 1cm creep from the trigger. The DA mode also has about 1/2 cm creep before I feel any load on the trigger. Now on SA mode, like I mentioned before, there is about a 1cm creep where the trigger is very light and without any resistance. Is this normal for the P226?

*I refer to "creep" as the trigger being very light, no load at all. Probably can also be described as "play". I'm not even sure if I'm using the term properly.

OofieXD
06-11-2009, 4:25 PM
Thanks HK45! So this "travel" is normal for DA and SA? I wonder if I can purchase the SRT or do I need to send it to Sig?

cineski
06-11-2009, 4:28 PM
Definitely check out SIG Forum. I believe there are times when SIG makes avail items like this (and others like SIG logo CT grips). Usually when they're gone they're gone. You might check the info on there or post a WTB add.

drunktank
06-11-2009, 4:47 PM
Also refered to as "take-up".

(Just an FYI in case you post on other boards. Some people are anal/a-holes about it)

Anyhow, for what it's worth, the sig's I've handled seemed about the same although my fuzzy memory tells me it was a tad less than 1cm. Then again, it's not like I got out a ruler!

OofieXD
06-11-2009, 4:59 PM
^ There's the term I was looking for, thanks. Anyway, I measured it although not very precise and the take-up on DA and SA modes were about 4mm and 8mm, respectively. I did the measurement from the tip of the trigger and pulling back on it.

mtenenhaus
06-11-2009, 5:25 PM
I absolutely agree with HK45 GUY, Mr. Bruce Gray (grayguns.com) does the best trigger work i've ever felt. He's extremely good at working with you to optimize the gun according to your needs, safety etc.

ccr
06-11-2009, 6:02 PM
I have to agree Bruce Gray is very well known for his action work on Sigs

echang86
06-11-2009, 6:13 PM
I have work done by Bruce Gray on my Sig, and there still is the take-up you're talking about. But the short reset is awesome. Stop playing with snap caps, and take your gun out and shoot it! Trust me you won't regret it. You made a good trade.

shoupdawg
06-11-2009, 6:48 PM
SRT's are hard to come by on Sigforum. I say Bruce as well. My gf loves the SRT.

rumblebee
06-11-2009, 7:03 PM
I can tell you that on my P220 combat, the travel\take up is more in SA mode than in DA mode. It seems to travel a good bit more in SA, but if you press lightly, you'll also feel some light resistance before the hammer drops in SA.

I think what you are seeing, is normal Sig. :)

fastpowerstroker
06-11-2009, 7:38 PM
I only have one sig (229). DA pull is smooth as butter but the sa mode has a little take-up or creep as mentioned before. I have the out of box trigger also.

Rob360
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM
As someone who is very seriously considering the purchase of a SIG 226 9mm due to the fact that it is one of the most comfortable guns I have ever felt in my hands (truly feels like a natural extension of my hand) I am concerned about this take-up and reset issue.

The guy at the gun shot also mentioned this to me when I asked him about the pros and cons of the SIG. He loves the SIG, but that was one feature he doesn't like.

I really wish I could rent a P226 somewhere so I could shoot it before purchasing.

Arteel
06-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Mine has just as much if not more take up. It doesn't bother me at all though, as I still shoot very well with it. Why does it bother you guys so much?

aplinker
06-12-2009, 12:00 AM
creep is not take-up. Creep is a LONG break, take-up is before resistance is met.

hybridatsun350
06-12-2009, 2:37 AM
I got it as a trade for my G34.
The trigger pull on a Sig cannot be compared to that of a Glock. I like shooting both guns, but they are both completely different when it comes to the trigger.

OofieXD
06-12-2009, 5:12 AM
I have work done by Bruce Gray on my Sig, and there still is the take-up you're talking about. But the short reset is awesome. Stop playing with snap caps, and take your gun out and shoot it! Trust me you won't regret it. You made a good trade.

Lol. I plan on shooting the gun today, just didn't have time yesterday after I picked it up.

I really wish I could rent a P226 somewhere so I could shoot it before purchasing.

If you ever come down here in San Diego, I can let you shoot mine.

Mine has just as much if not more take up. It doesn't bother me at all though, as I still shoot very well with it. Why does it bother you guys so much?

It doesn't really bother me, its just that I bought the gun used so I wasn't sure if this was normal or if there were parts that needed to be replaced.

The trigger pull on a Sig cannot be compared to that of a Glock. I like shooting both guns, but they are both completely different when it comes to the trigger.

Well, I didn't compare the two triggers per se, I just wasn't sure if the take-up was normal because like I said, I bought it used and wasn't sure if there are parts that need replacing.

OofieXD
06-12-2009, 5:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied by the way!

Anyway, here's a problem for me. I bought the gun used with Hogue wrap around grips, which I personally don't like. I was also able to buy some factory P226 grips from another member here, but the grips don't fit my gun at all. The guy who sold me the grips said they were take offs from a P226 but no matter how hard I try, the "factory" grips just won't fit.

Are there any variations on the factory grips? The Hogue that came with the gun fit perfectly, and the "factory grips" are labeled Sig Sauer on one side and P226 on the other side. Help?

Voo
06-12-2009, 6:30 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied by the way!

Anyway, here's a problem for me. I bought the gun used with Hogue wrap around grips, which I personally don't like. I was also able to buy some factory P226 grips from another member here, but the grips don't fit my gun at all. The guy who sold me the grips said they were take offs from a P226 but no matter how hard I try, the "factory" grips just won't fit.

Are there any variations on the factory grips? The Hogue that came with the gun fit perfectly, and the "factory grips" are labeled Sig Sauer on one side and P226 on the other side. Help?

Oofie,
Which side isn't fitting? The Sig P226 has a couple of 'evolutions' meaning they changed things a little here, a little there. For the most part, it's the same gun but in regards to your grips, the newer style trigger bar return spring can keep you from using the older, checkered style grips. So, "yes", they have changed the grips a bit as well as some other part* that may keep you from using them. There's a couple of ways to address it but it sounds like you might require a new spring.

I'm planning on going to the range today sometime to test out some ammo. I'm going to American shooting Center. If you're interested in meeting, send me a PM later and I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

As for the SRT and trigger work, Bruce Gray is TOP NOTCH. I know him and have taken a few of his classes. Really great guy. He's a bit pricey, but his triggers are really nice compared to the stock setup. I've gotten to shoot quite a few Sigs that he's worked on, he definitely knows as much, if not more, about Sigs than literally anyone out there. There are however a couple of DIY type things you can perform to the gun that are very simple that 'may' help the trigger pull. Nothing more than cleaning it and using lube on the right spots. You can also try changing a spring as well* but doing this carries some caveats though. All simple and nothing that requires you to file, sand, polish. Just lube and a ,simple swap.

In any event, a G34 for a P226 sounds like an awfully good deal. Congrats! Hope you enjoy it man.

OofieXD
06-12-2009, 6:39 AM
Yeah, I'm up for a meet since I haven't fired this one yet. I'll send you a pm in a bit.

Rob360
06-12-2009, 8:14 AM
If you ever come down here in San Diego, I can let you shoot mine.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Unfortunately I don't see myself making it down there any time soon. I love San Diego though. Lived there for four years and miss it a lot. :cool:

rumblebee
06-12-2009, 9:28 AM
Does not bother me at all...! :) Sig = Great gun...go shoot it and if you want, trigger job it if you need to. Have fun

ontmark
06-12-2009, 6:37 PM
*I refer to "creep" as the trigger being very light, no load at all. Probably can also be described as "play". I'm not even sure if I'm using the term properly.

The Creep is
Firing Pin Safety
Located within the slide, a firing pin safety blocks forward motion of the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. When the trigger is pulled, the (unfortunately named) "safety lever" pivots upward and disengages the firing pin safety.
To demonstrate the function of the firing pin safety, unload and field strip your SIG-Sauer as described in the manual, separating the barrel from the slide. Place the slide upside down on a table in front of you. Press on the rounded end of the firing pin where it emerges from the breech block and observe that the firing pin does not emerge from breech face. Repeat, this time while pressing downward on the firing pin safety, and observe the firing pin protruding from the breech block. Lastly, examine the frame and locate the stamped steel safety lever located just forward of the hammer. The safety lever pivots upward and disengages the firing pin safety when the gun is fired. Since SIG-Sauers should not be dry fired when field stripped, cock and hold the hammer back while pulling the trigger. Observe the safety lever pivoting upward.

walter
06-12-2009, 9:31 PM
I hate it too