PDA

View Full Version : First Trip to the Range with MY Gun

Rekrab
06-10-2009, 9:31 PM
Went to the range with my first gun for the first time.

PX4 Storm in .40 S&W. Blew through 200 rounds of an assortment of PMC, Miwall's and Federal Eagle. Shot very nicely, not too strong, not a lot of kick and absolutely none of the reported trigger bite.

The only problem I had with the gun was that the first round wouldn't always feed and I had to give the slide a bit of a push. No matter how hard back I pulled the slide, sometimes it just didn't chamber the round.

It was a lot of fun finally shooting my own gun rather than a buddy's or a rented gun.

Now I'm ready to get my next gun >.>

cal3gunner
06-10-2009, 9:53 PM
The only problem I had with the gun was that the first round wouldn't always feed and I had to give the slide a bit of a push. No matter how hard back I pulled the slide, sometimes it just didn't chamber the round.

Should have bought a Glock.

Just messing, congrats on the new gun.

Dangerous1
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Try using the slide lock to chamber the first round next time.

Rekrab
06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Should have bought a Glock.

Just messing, congrats on the new gun.

I have to admit, I've never heard anything bad about a glock.

My only problem is every time I look at one I just think "Bleh!"

Try using the slide lock to chamber the first round next time.

I'll try that, thanks.

rivviepop
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
On your first round -- is the magazine you're feeding it really tight when you put that 10th round in? Does the problem still happen when you only put 9 in the mag?

The barrel/locking/recoil assembly design of these PX4 Storms intrigues me, played with them at the shop and really like to take one out shooting sometime. They look like they'd really reduce muzzle flip and shoot flat...

eijjie33
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
congrats on the new toy...

Rekrab
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Happens with 1 or 10, doesn't matter rivviepop. It's a really sweet gun, I just hope the whole rotating barrel doesn't bite me in the *** reliability-wise.

RolinThundr
06-11-2009, 2:10 AM
Happens with 1 or 10, doesn't matter rivviepop. It's a really sweet gun, I just hope the whole rotating barrel doesn't bite me in the *** reliability-wise.

Did you clean it after you bought it, before you took it to the range? A lot of problems disappear when a gun is properly cleaned. Some guns perform great right out of the box, others do not. Make sure when your loading that you firmly insert the magazine- don't worry about being gentle- and let the slide move itself forward- don't try to guide it. Check your mags as was mentioned before.

rivviepop
06-11-2009, 8:32 AM

I did a little Googling last night, there's a bunch of folks on PoliceLink.com (apparently they've been issued the 40 PX4 as a duty weapon) who love it, but also a bunch who complain of the same problem -- it appears the barrel fails to turn all the way sometimes, causing the slide not to go into battery. Lemme see if I can find that link....

There's a bunch of threads, poke around a little:
http://www.google.com/search?as_q=px4+storm&as_sitesearch=policelink.com

Hope this helps...

Rekrab
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Well, after the range I cleaned it pretty thoroughly. Fortunately my room mate knows guns so I had him to check it for me. Hopefully it's just some particulates left from the manufacturing process and nothing serious. It also never had a problem once the first bullet was fired, only chambering the first round. Other's have reported failure to feed mid-magazine.

It is possible I wasn't pushing the magazine in hard enough. I noticed when the mags are empty that there's a small click left if I don't push them in really nice and tight. So it's possible that's the issue.

Think I'm going to take it back to the range this weekend and take better notes. I'm also going to mark my mags to see if it only happens with a certain mag. I'm really hoping this isn't a major issue because I love the looks and the feel of this gun when I shoot; very, very comfortable. Pity I can't have the 17 round mags :kest:

I'll probably pop over to the Beretta forums and see what I can find out over there as well.

jimmythebrain
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Use a good gun grease on the locking block interface. I use Tetra Lube and have not had this problem.

I would shoot through @500 rounds before calling this a big problem. Most of my 1911's needed a break in period. Of note, my PX4's (9MM and 40 S&W) have tighter chamber dimensions than my Sig Sauers, Walthers, CZ's in the same calibers. This can cause some out of spec ammo to not load as easily.

Also make sure that you are not following the slide forward at all with your hand when you release the slide. Just pull back all the way then let go.

shoupdawg
06-11-2009, 5:56 PM
Don't use it for HD until you work out this issue. Congrats and good luck.

punisheryayarea
06-12-2009, 9:38 AM
Went to the range with my first gun for the first time.

PX4 Storm in .40 S&W. Blew through 200 rounds of an assortment of PMC, Miwall's and Federal Eagle. Shot very nicely, not too strong, not a lot of kick and absolutely none of the reported trigger bite.

It was a lot of fun finally shooting my own gun rather than a buddy's or a rented gun.

Did you clean and oil it befor you used it for the first time????? if not you should have...... anyways Congrats