PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 1911 or Springfield Armory 1911 GI

bfriz07
06-10-2009, 1:56 PM
I am in the market for a 1911 and I am right now able to get a Rock Island 1911 for about $450 and a slightly used Springfield GI 1911 for around $550. Is the extra $100 worth it? Any comments will be greatly appreciated

Black Majik
06-10-2009, 2:03 PM
Hehe..

Rock River > Springfield Armory > Rock Island.

You're thinking of Rock Island.

maschronic
06-10-2009, 2:05 PM
i own 2 springfield 1911 and they are my favorite. i also own kimbers, para ordinances.

i have not shot or held a rock river arms 1911 so i really can't say anything about them.

Black Majik
06-10-2009, 2:09 PM
i own 2 springfield 1911 and they are my favorite. i also own kimbers, para ordinances.

i have not shot or held a rock river arms 1911 so i really can't say anything about them.

Won't find a RRA here in CA. Not on the DOJ list and they're discontinued. ;)

MILLITIAof1
06-10-2009, 2:14 PM
Won't find a RRA here in CA. Not on the DOJ list and they're discontinued. ;)

are you sure about that?;)

Ninja45
06-10-2009, 2:18 PM
I really think the OP is referring to Rock Island 1911, Made in the Philippines.

Although I do not own a RI pistol, I heard a lot of good things about it. If you are just looking for a shooter that you will not upgrade into a competition-thousands-of-dollars-later pistol, get the RI. If you plan on upgrading (and upgrading and upgrading), SA pistol is a better foundation pistol.

Just my 2 cents. Be gentle on the flame...I don't have a suit.

Pistolwhipped
06-10-2009, 2:33 PM
If possible hold them both and give them a good feelskie. You should ba able to tell right off the bat that the springfield is a little tighter the RI. For the money they are both good pistols though.

Gary13
06-10-2009, 3:34 PM
I am looking at this as well. I wish I could find a Rock Island to try. I did look at a used SA Milspec for $475, and may go that direction. If I was going for a Rock Island, I would get Milspec or Tactical.

There is a recent post about someone who just took their RI to the range and liked it.

bigjack_mc'b
06-10-2009, 4:04 PM
i have a Rock Island in nickel it's just like the Tactical i love it
so far it hits anything i aim at i had 2 FTF's in 200 rounds
with blazer brass but anything other thin that it feed's just fine
as for the Springfield GI i was going to buy one tale i found the rock
i just like the "Tactical" set up better thin the "GI" set up
but i wood say both are good pistols for the money
hold em' both and see witch feel's better to you

Black Majik
06-10-2009, 4:45 PM
are you sure about that?;)

Hook me up. I'll buy one. :D

Once you return from being banned

Futurecollector
06-10-2009, 5:00 PM

BM, is that your pistol in your Avatar?

Black Majik
06-10-2009, 5:01 PM
BM, is that your pistol in your Avatar?

Yes, it is.

Knauga
06-11-2009, 7:55 AM
I am in the market for a 1911 and I am right now able to get a Rock Island 1911 for about $450 and a slightly used Springfield GI 1911 for around $550. Is the extra $100 worth it? Any comments will be greatly appreciated

$450 is a little high for a RIA GI, you can find them for less. If you can afford the Springer, buy it. It is a much better quality gun than the RIA. I've had both, I like my RIA, but I loved my Springer. $550 for a Springer GI is about right.

SCMA-1
06-11-2009, 8:11 AM
I would recommend getting the RIA Tactical model; costs a little more than the standard 1911 but still less than the Springfield GI. Unless you have a thing for a 1911 with the old GI look, the updated beavertail grip safety and bobbed hammer is must IMO for recoil management (and won't bite your web) as it locates your grip much higher on the frame and closer to the bore axis and enhances the distribution of recoil loads over the web of your hand.

SCMA-1

Oldnoob
06-11-2009, 8:23 AM
With $450, you can fine RIA in Tactical model if you spend some time looking for it.

RIA while being a great pistol for their price, SA make a great GI. With the difference only been $100, I personally will go with SA GI.

evidens83
06-11-2009, 8:26 AM
For the features and price, the RIA Tactical is very hard to beat for $499. Customer service is top notch as well! I love my Rock :thumbsup:

RAMCHARGER
06-11-2009, 4:16 PM
One thing is Springfield 1911s are forged not cast. I had a S.A. milspec and the only issue I had was that the barel bushing became sloppy fitting on the slide with only less than 1000 rounds and that really opened up my grouping. However it did save my *** when I stumbled across a couple coyotes eating some road kill while looking for firewood in the boonies. There was a wall of super tall brush along the dry river bed and when I jumped through I popped out maybe ten yards from them. They didnít run away either. With a Boom! Boom! Boom! and a "THUMP! THUMP! THUMP" there were two more road kills on that day.

Kelvrick
06-11-2009, 9:35 PM
You can get a rock island tactical for 445 shipped to california and still have some money left over compared to a gi springfield.

Give bellshire a call for the rock island tactical. He also posts on gun broker.

CHUCK-E
06-11-2009, 9:38 PM
+1 on the RIA tactical. Love mine. Shoots as well as my Springer loaded.

makav3li
06-11-2009, 10:36 PM
i guess itll be my next handgun when i get more money (maybe xmas since i spent all my summer money)

ArnFromVA
06-13-2009, 11:17 PM

I think I saw a few of them over at Stockade a couple of weeks ago.

As far as RIA vs Springfield, there are quite a few members on the m1911.org forum that own both and say they are every bit the equal of the Springfield GI and Mil-Spec in terms of quality.

IIRC, STI puts their internal components into the RIA frame and slide to make the Spartan, their base model. I owned one briefly when I lived in FL, only selling it unfired NIB because I thought the adjustable sights would have been easy to replace for fixed, but it was tighter and smoother than any base model Springfield I've ever handled. I sold it to a member of m1911.org, and he's very happy with it. I believe his 1911 collection is in the double digits, including SA, Sig, and Colt, so I think that says something.

xs2k
06-14-2009, 12:30 PM
Get the RIA....spend that extra $100 to buy ammo.

mk19
06-14-2009, 7:01 PM
rock islan are ok in ca i work at target masters west in milpitas and we sell them..... springfield are better i think but rock island are friendly in price.

cookmonsta
06-14-2009, 7:11 PM
my rock island 1911 has been flawless thus far. I took it to the range 3 times and put over 300 rounds with no problem. very accurate also out the box. +1 xs2k and spend extra $100 on ammo.:Ivan:

eflatminor
06-14-2009, 8:30 PM
I'd definately go with the Springfield. Better steel. WHEN you decide to have custom work done on the pistol, you'll be glad you had the better quality platform.

xs2k
06-14-2009, 8:38 PM
I'd definately go with the Springfield. Better steel. WHEN you decide to have custom work done on the pistol, you'll be glad you had the better quality platform.

I had a fully upgraded RIA and never had any issue with parts fitment or problems.

MR.R
06-14-2009, 8:50 PM
springfield no question

cryptkeeper
06-14-2009, 9:25 PM
I'm looking for an SA 1911 Mil-Spec. They're running a little thin in the supply department. That might be a factor in determining what you buy.

quickcf
06-14-2009, 9:30 PM
SA all the way

Blwnbwtie
06-16-2009, 8:29 PM
I have a RIA tactical and a SA Gi model. IMO i think the RIA is a way better deal. Fitment seems about the same, but it has better parts for less money. Ever since i got my RIA the SA has just been sitting in the safe. The sights on the rock are way better. I have shot mine and my buddies $900 kimber and did not notice a different at all. IF you are located anywhere around SFV send me a PM i will let you shoot both.

thomasanelson
06-17-2009, 8:04 AM

I am not sure Imbel Brazil makes "better" steel than Armscor Phillipines, but Springers do cost more than RIA. I had a RIA and it was great. Never had an issue and wish I didn't need to sell it. FYI, I sold mine RIA 19 months ago for $325 in very good condition. :eek: Not likely to find one at that price anytime soon. One good thing about springer is the warranty, but it may be void if you make any alterations to the gun.

Blwnbwtie
06-17-2009, 11:29 AM
From what i have heard on the m1911.org forums the warranty and customer service is great for the RIA.

gun_noob
08-08-2009, 2:21 AM
I have a RIA and Kimber and for the money I will take the RIA any day I love it. I have shot para, wilson, springers, ect but for the money the RIA is an exceptional firearm.

Rekrab
08-08-2009, 2:29 AM
I dub thee, "forum_noob!"

mgalvez
08-08-2009, 7:18 AM
I just got my RIA tactical yesterday. Its a nice tight gun, finish is good. Sights look a little poorly made but are definitely are a million times better than GI sights. I haven't shot it yet, but I am very impressed so far. Got it DROSd and everything for under $475.

onikage
08-08-2009, 8:10 AM
I just got my RIA tactical yesterday. Its a nice tight gun, finish is good. Sights look a little poorly made but are definitely are a million times better than GI sights. I haven't shot it yet, but I am very impressed so far. Got it DROSd and everything for under $475.

Gasp! Where at? Every one I find and calculate out tax, FFL fees, and DROS always comes out to $550 or more.

hawk1
08-08-2009, 8:27 AM
If the difference in money is no big deal, get the Springfield.
I have both and both and happy with each.
You can have a RIA modified just as much as a Springfield if thats your desire.

rp55
08-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I did exactly that. I checked out a SA GI 1911 at Outdoor World in Monterey and it was ok but not impressive. I was up in the Bay Area at Reed's and was just scoping out handguns when a clerk talked me into holding a RIA 1911. I was very impressed with it, along with the salesmanship that went with it which is so lacking in guns these days, that I bought it on the spot. I have since discovered that part of it may have been cosmetic appearance due to the way they roll the markings on the slide of Brazilian SA 1911s. They are both fine weapons. But in my opinion the SA was not worth a premium over than the RIA.

If possible hold them both and give them a good feelskie. You should ba able to tell right off the bat that the springfield is a little tighter the RI. For the money they are both good pistols though.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-08-2009, 1:46 PM
I bought a RIA Tactical... and regretted it. Sent it back to the factory as it had a severe slide/barrel alignment issue. Received a replacement pistol complete with tool marks/gouging in the rifling at the muzzle, causing 6" or greater groups at 25 yards. I didn't give them a 3rd chance to screw it up worse.

RIA? Never again. Spend the extra money and get the Springfield.

gdr_11
08-08-2009, 8:17 PM
I have both and find then equal in quality, however, the finish of the SAA is better IMHO. As noted by an earlier poster, I also do not recommend a GI model in anything unless you are planning on replacing the hammer.

RIA gets a bad rap at times, but they are solid guns and they offer a great value. We can't all own Wilsons.

Blue
08-08-2009, 8:21 PM
I'm happy with every Springfield that I own.

J-cat
08-08-2009, 8:44 PM
RIA is made out of investment castings. Springers are forged. Forged beats cast. There you go.

Maplewood
08-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a RIA GI model and I love it, it is a very pure copy of the original 1911 cast slide and all, just like what they gave me to qualify with in the Corps. If you want a fancy schmancy nancy 1911 with beavertail, skeleton everything then your not really looking to get a GI. Look for a Kimber or Springfield with forged slide and dovetailed sights and let the modifing begin. Maybe Clint can help you decide............

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:GT-M1911A1-2.jpg

AT'sGCSRT8
08-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I love my springer GI, and with SA's excellent customer service you can't go wrong.

Pryde
08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
RIA is made out of investment castings. Springers are forged. Forged beats cast. There you go.

That's your answer right there.