PDA

View Full Version : Anyone register an OLL after you purchased it?

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 2:03 PM
I bought a Colt a couple weeks ago and was wondering if their is anyway to register my OLL build with department letterhead? It's built with a prince 50 now but I would like to register it. Who would the letter be made out to? DOJ?it's been more than 90 since I bought the lower but it's never been an AW. Would you date the blue sheet the date I pulled the prince 50 out after I got the letter? Who would I put in the dealer info? The dealer I purchased the lower from? Thanks for any info. If I have to I will just buy another colt but I would like to convert this one because it's done and it's a nice S&W

GenLee
06-10-2009, 2:26 PM
WTF? :svengo:

sorensen440
06-10-2009, 2:26 PM
you cant

ETA : I didnt realize this was in the LEO forum till now

What colt did you buy ?

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 2:34 PM
I bought a 6940 and I'm on the wait list for a 6920. I don't see why you can't register a lower you already have. If I order the same stripped lower and have it shipped to a AW dealer I can. I guess I can sell my OLL builds and just buy complete colts

ke6guj
06-10-2009, 2:36 PM
you would think you woulld be able to just register the lower and build it up as an AW, but IIRC, CADOJ isn't allowing them to be registered if done that way. Seems that when you put down the dealer you got it from, if that dealer is not an AW, CADOJ is trying to assume that you bought it as an AW from that dealer illegally. Gene or Bill may have more info on that issue.

GenLee
06-10-2009, 2:41 PM
I bought a 6940 and I'm on the wait list for a 6920. I don't see why you can't register a lower you already have. If I order the same stripped lower and have it shipped to a AW dealer I can. I guess I can sell my OLL builds and just buy complete colts

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php

This is not a test, But is required reading. :thumbsup:

ke6guj
06-10-2009, 2:43 PM
This is not a test, But is required reading. :thumbsup:the same could be said to you:D

OP is posting in the LEO forum and is talking about department letterhead. Sounds like he may be LE and can legally register an AW.

ke6guj
06-10-2009, 2:45 PM
To the OP, I'd suggest your email or PM hoffmang and bwiese about this. One of them did mention some issues about trying to registered an OLL and then turn it into an AW.

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 3:20 PM
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/search.php

This is not a test, But is required reading. :thumbsup:

Sir with all do respect, pull your head out of your rump and look what forum you are posting in! Department letterhead don't come from the sporting goods department at walmart. Thanks for the replies from you guys that read the post before you reply. I get the same kind of people when I'm at the range that eyeball me at the range and feel obligated to tell me I need a maglock on my colt and can't have it in CA. The best is when they say "you can't put those 30rd mags in there!" and I say "sure you can! They fit just fine" LOL

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 3:27 PM
To the OP, I'd suggest your email or PM hoffmang and bwiese about this. One of them did mention some issues about trying to registered an OLL and then turn it into an AW.

Thank you sir I hope they respond to the post in a day or so. If not I will give them a pm. Thanks again for your reply. If anyone else has info on this please post it.

sorensen440
06-10-2009, 3:28 PM
Sir with all do respect, pull your head out of your rump and look what forum you are posting in! Department letterhead don't come from the sporting goods department at walmart. Thanks for the replies from you guys that read the post before you reply. I get the same kind of people when I'm at the range that eyeball me at the range and feel obligated to tell me I need a maglock on my colt and can't have it in CA. The best is when they say "you can't put those 30rd mags in there!" and I say "sure you can! They fit just fine" LOL
Lighten up,
most of the people posting in the leo forum are not leo

Many people come here to ask legal questions (horrible idea) and you did not mention you were leo in your OP

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 3:41 PM
Department letterhead, that should sum it up. I posted in the LEO forum as an LEO for an LEO responce or info from someone who would know, not to be schooled on basic CA law and be talked down to like a response of "WTF" or be told to read up on laws. As an LEO I respond with same attitude I recieve.

paladin4415
06-10-2009, 3:44 PM
Most agencies will not write letterhead for a stripped receiver. The reason being is that a stripped receiver is not an AW.
I know you can register an off list rifle as an AW, but I believe it would have to have been transfered to you by a California AW dealer (most FFL's are not) and within the last 90 days.

TRICKSTER
06-10-2009, 4:14 PM
I just spoke with a LEO department range master and he said that he doesn't know of any departments in the area that allow their officers to use home builds due to liability issues. Check with your department range master and if they allow it, they should be able to guide you through the DOJ process. Now if DOJ allows it, that he didn't know.

GenLee
06-10-2009, 4:40 PM
Department letterhead, that should sum it up. I posted in the LEO forum as an LEO for an LEO responce or info from someone who would know, not to be schooled on basic CA law and be talked down to like a response of "WTF" or be told to read up on laws. As an LEO I respond with same attitude I recieve.

Sir with all do respect. :rolleyes: If you had read the links I provided

1) You would understand whether or not YOU were illegally in possession of an AW or not.

2) If you by chance you were in possession of a LISTED or ILLEGALLY CONFIGURED AW you could understand how to rectify your situation.

[QUOTE=dennis1979gm;2612069]I bought a Colt a couple weeks ago and was wondering if their is anyway to register my OLL build with department letterhead? It's built with a prince 50 now but I would like to register it. Who would the letter be made out to? DOJ?it's been more than 90 since I bought the lower but it's never been an AW. Would you date the blue sheet the date I pulled the prince 50 out after I got the letter? Who would I put in the dealer info? The dealer I purchased the lower from? Thanks for any info. If I have to I will just buy another colt but I would like to convert this one because it's done and it's a nice S&W[/QUOTE

The "WTF" I posted was do to the complete incoherent babble in your OP, So excuse me for trying to enlighten YOUR obviously confused and misunderstood understanding of the AW laws.

Your unregistered, listed receiver by the way with a prince 50 IS an AW. I highly recommend you and your "above the law with a department letterhead" attitude do some serious research before posting further.

dennis1979gm
06-10-2009, 5:26 PM
My colt is a registered AW my s&w is a OLL build with a prince50 to make it legal because I know the AW laws, Im not sure on registering my smith build. Please don't let your posts out pace your brain sir. I'm done responding to your post that in NO way answer my original question. I say GOOD DAY to you sir!

Ron-Solo
06-10-2009, 5:37 PM
Sir with all do respect. :rolleyes: If you had read the links I provided

1) You would understand whether or not YOU were illegally in possession of an AW or not.

2) If you by chance you were in possession of a LISTED or ILLEGALLY CONFIGURED AW you could understand how to rectify your situation.

[QUOTE=dennis1979gm;2612069]I bought a Colt a couple weeks ago and was wondering if their is anyway to register my OLL build with department letterhead? It's built with a prince 50 now but I would like to register it. Who would the letter be made out to? DOJ?it's been more than 90 since I bought the lower but it's never been an AW. Would you date the blue sheet the date I pulled the prince 50 out after I got the letter? Who would I put in the dealer info? The dealer I purchased the lower from? Thanks for any info. If I have to I will just buy another colt but I would like to convert this one because it's done and it's a nice S&W[/QUOTE

The "WTF" I posted was do to the complete incoherent babble in your OP, So excuse me for trying to enlighten YOUR obviously confused and misunderstood understanding of the AW laws.

Your unregistered, listed receiver by the way with a prince 50 IS an AW. I highly recommend you and your "above the law with a department letterhead" attitude do some serious research before posting further.

GenLee,

I still think you are misunderstanding the original post. He has a COLT with he obtained & registered by virture of his LEO status and department letterhead authorizing him to do so. His Colt does not have a Prince 50 on it, nor does it need one because it is a legally possesed and registered AW.

He is talking about a 2nd rifle, and avenues to register it with DOJ as an AW.

He has a OLL with a Prince 50 device, making it NOT an illegal AW. He wants to kow if DOJ will let him register the OLL if his Chief will give him a letter authorizing the OLL receiver for use after he already has purchased the OLL. (Wish I could get any letter from our Sheriff, but that's another story)

My guess is that DOJ will say no, but it is an interesting concept, since a lot of agencies are going to non-colt versions of the AR. Our department is retrofitting all of our old Colt ARs with RRA uppers and EoTech 512's.

I agree with the OP that your initial 'WTF' and links to flowcharts could have been worded better. They were less than complementary, even though I believe you meant well.

Lets not turn this into a 'personal slam fest' if we can avoid it. There wa obviously a misunderstanding and a few later posts cleared that up pretty well.

Aloha,

Ron

For what it's worth, the HK416 is an awesome rifle built on an AR style lower. Got to shoot one recently.......sweet. :cool:

nobody33
06-10-2009, 7:22 PM
When I first read the thread I thought you had a 6940 which you bought as an OLL and had a prince 50 on it. There was a thread a couple weeks ago where people were debating if the 6940 was an OLL. One guy claimed that there was at least more than one FFL out there that would (and had) sold the 6940's as an OLL. I would say the 6940 as not an OLL as it is the same exact lower as a 6920. I would arrest anyone with an unregistered 6940.

I bought a couple CMMG lowers I wanted to build up for practice and get them registered. Not going to happen it looks like. I could have probably gotten away with it during the first 90 days, but I learned it wasn't legit after reading about it here. Oh well. Thankfully I can just sell them for what I paid... or better yet wait and hope the AW gets overturned.

GenLee
06-10-2009, 7:28 PM
[QUOTE=GenLee;2612812]Sir with all do respect. :rolleyes: If you had read the links I provided

GenLee,

I still think you are misunderstanding the original post. He has a COLT with he obtained & registered by virture of his LEO status and department letterhead authorizing him to do so. His Colt does not have a Prince 50 on it, nor does it need one because it is a legally possesed and registered AW.

He is talking about a 2nd rifle, and avenues to register it with DOJ as an AW.

He has a OLL with a Prince 50 device, making it NOT an illegal AW. He wants to kow if DOJ will let him register the OLL if his Chief will give him a letter authorizing the OLL receiver for use after he already has purchased the OLL. (Wish I could get any letter from our Sheriff, but that's another story)

My guess is that DOJ will say no, but it is an interesting concept, since a lot of agencies are going to non-colt versions of the AR. Our department is retrofitting all of our old Colt ARs with RRA uppers and EoTech 512's.

I agree with the OP that your initial 'WTF' and links to flowcharts could have been worded better. They were less than complementary, even though I believe you meant well.

Lets not turn this into a 'personal slam fest' if we can avoid it. There wa obviously a misunderstanding and a few later posts cleared that up pretty well.

Aloha,

Ron

For what it's worth, the HK416 is an awesome rifle built on an AR style lower. Got to shoot one recently.......sweet. :cool:

When I first read the thread I thought you had a 6940 which you bought as an OLL and had a prince 50 on it. There was a thread a couple weeks ago where people were debating if the 6940 was an OLL. One guy claimed that there was at least more than one FFL out there that would (and had) sold the 6940's as an OLL. I would say the 6940 as not an OLL as it is the same exact lower as a 6920. I would arrest anyone with an unregistered 6940.

I bought a couple CMMG lowers I wanted to build up for practice and get them registered. Not going to happen it looks like. I could have probably gotten away with it during the first 90 days, but I learned it wasn't legit after reading about it here. Oh well. Thankfully I can just sell them for what I paid... or better yet wait and hope the AW gets overturned.

Thank you for saying that apparently more clearly than I did.

I was just trying to help just to get flamed by the enlightened question askers and their defenders? :rolleyes:

bronco1500
06-14-2009, 3:38 PM
deleted

SByota
06-24-2009, 1:52 PM
I am a CA LEO and have 4 registered AW's. Two were purchased complete from AW dealers on Agency Letterhead, the other two were purchased as bare lowers from a non-AW dealer. So it can be done, I will not share how I did it in an open forum, but if you are a fellow LEO, I would be happy to explain it to you via department email.

AGOD
06-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Lighten up,
most of the people posting in the leo forum are not leo

Many people come here to ask legal questions (horrible idea) and you did not mention you were leo in your OP

I agree, horrible idea, but at least people are trying to be in compliance with AR's.

Oh...One might also just tell people at the range, that they are LEO's instead of being a tool.....Don't be a TOOOOOL.

sac550
06-28-2009, 3:00 PM
It can be done, it has been done and it is always a violation of PC 12280(a). There is no exception in PC 12280(f)(2) to manufacture an assault weapon. Just because it has been slipped by DOJ doesn't mean it is legal. IF you remove your BB or Pric50 you just manufactured.

Now there is a legal way to build your own AR. You can buy a stripped lower or complete lower then buy the upper you want. It is not an AW until you put the upper on the lower. Again, once you put the upper on the lower you manufactured an assault weapon (4-6-8 years SP). So how do you get around it? Find a FFL that has an assault weapon manufacturing permit. The permit is not the same as the assault weapon permit that allows a FFL to sell AW. You take the lower and upper to the FFL with the manufacturing permit and have them put the upper on the lower and then they give it back to you. Then they (FFL) manufactured the AW not you and you can take legal possession of it with a letter from COP and register it with DOJ within 90 days. The date you acquired it for the blue reg card is the date the FFL put it together.

Now the trick is to find a FFL with a manufacturing permit. In Northern CA I only know of one store near Sacramento. Remember 12280(a) is a straight felony and can't be 17b. All it takes is for a wife orGF scorned to dime you off to IA or CA DOJ. Or even a neighbor or one time friend to rat you out. The statute of limitation is 6 years for 12280(a) not 3 like most felonies.

If for some strange reason you got caught you could at most be easily convicted of a felony 12280(a) or at least get banged by your IA. The IA case will follow you to court every time there is a Pitches motion done and you will look like an A** on the stand when the defense brings it up. The gun isn't worth getting in trouble over. Do it right even if you have to make a trip to the Sacramento area to get the gun "manufactured" into an AW.

Also for those that have gotten away with registering your AW after you built it, remember that AW reg only protects you from a possession charge 12280(b). It doesn't protect you from a 12280(a), if you are the one who built it, even if now registered with DOJ.