PDA

View Full Version : Getting bored shooting at the range?

Fjold
06-09-2009, 9:16 PM
All you guys who regularly shoot at regular ranges are you getting bored standing there shooting one shot every 2-3 seconds at a stationary target?

How do you improve your shooting skills? How do you make it more fun and more realistic?

Think about competing in an USPSA/IDPA match.

If you worried about competing against the world class shooters that you see in all the magazines, don't be intimidated, all of the competitors are divided into classes depending upon the shooter's skill and you move up in class as your skills improve

Don't have the latest and greatest 38 Super Comp with optical sight and 30 round magazines? If you shoot a production gun with 10 round magazines you're only competing against people shooting the same type of equipment.

All the matches welcome new shooters and all they care about is that you're safe gun handler and have fun. The only equipment that you'll need is a safe holster, ear and eye protection, magazine holders and about 150 - 200 rounds of ammunition.

You can shoot run and gun as fast as you can pull the trigger and you will definately be challenged as the courses are designed to make you shoot fast and accurately. Most courses will be a mix of steel and paper targets and a lot of time there will be swingers and other moving targets to really test your skills.

Once you shoot a match, it will ruin you for any other type of range shooting.

Here in Bakersfield, the local club shoots on the first Saturday of the month starting about 8:30 AM out at 5 Dogs range. If you don't have anyone to shoot with PM me and I'll be glad to give you a ride out there and explain what's going on. I just started competing again after taking 16 years off and three other guys I know shot their first match last weekend and they're definately coming back.

In SoCal there's a club shoot just about every weekend of the month, so I hope that some of the guys who shoot at those matches will post here to tell you when and where they shoot.

Think about it guys, it can only help you be a better shooter and it's a heck of a lot of fun.

rumble phish
06-09-2009, 9:20 PM
Interesting. I'll have to find a range up here in Nor Cal that does this....

Buddhabelly
06-09-2009, 9:24 PM

Richmond Hots Shots, Chabot...

http://www.tasc-ipsc.org/

get2now
06-09-2009, 9:39 PM
Go to this site USPSA (http://www.uspsa.org/) and put in your zip code in the "FIND a CLUB" box on the right side. There's plenty clubs around.
If you want to watch some good shooters click the USPSA Video link.

G

sorensen440
06-09-2009, 9:40 PM
To liven things up and improve my ability's I have lately started lowering my gun then pulling up to the target and shooting as soon as I get the sights lined up with the target

Its fun and I'm getting better at fast target acquisition

GoodEyeSniper
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
I'd like to do this. Looks like my CZ isn't on the approved list on the USPSA site though :(

Rudolf the Red
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Try using the Winchester/NRA Qualification courses for fun. They help you set goals and give you something to do at the range. It took me 2 months and 2000 rounds to obtain Expert on the Bullseye Pistol course. It's one-handed and quite challenging if you never do that sort of thing. Here's the link: http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/marksmanship/index.asp

D53
06-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I agree with you 100%, I am tired of paying $15 to shoot at a stagnant target and having to wait 2-3 second between rounds. I was recently luck enought to go to my first IDPA match up here in Sacramento and I had a blast. It was a spur of the moment thing, but by far one of the most enjoyable things I have done in a long time. I would follow the link above and see if there is a club in your local area. Here is a link that I posted from this last weekend at my first IDPA match:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2602434&posted=1#post2602434

SuperSet
06-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Fjold, this is a really good post and I can easily see it jump-starting future shooters into the sport.
You know what the irony is? When traveling, I check with local clubs to scope out their USPSA/IDPA/3-Gun matches and nothing compares to California as far as match quality and quantity! We have some of the strictest gun laws in the country but there's more shooting going on here than just about anywhere.

rivviepop
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd like to do this. Looks like my CZ isn't on the approved list on the USPSA site though :(

Your CZ is fine to use; depending on the model you end up in different divisions. The most common 75B 9mm will put you in Production which is a great place to start.

Legasat
06-09-2009, 10:13 PM
They have IDPA matches down here in Oceanside at Iron Sights. I have been thinking about attending one, just for the heck of it.

I'm sure I will soon.

GoodEyeSniper
06-09-2009, 10:14 PM
I have the CZ75 compact .40. Didn't see it on the list

cal3gunner
06-09-2009, 10:15 PM

If its not approved for Production, which I didn't bother to look it up, you can always shoot it in Limited or Limited 10 if you don't have high cap mags.

If your gun is 9mm or larger and safe, you'll find a division you can shoot it in.

GoodEyeSniper
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
If its not approved for Production, which I didn't bother to look it up, you can always shoot it in Limited or Limited 10 if you don't have high cap mags.

If your gun is 9mm or larger and safe, you'll find a division you can shoot it in.

ooooh, I gotcha. Didn't realize it was just for the production class. Might have to head out one of these weekends and spectate.

ThatFishGuy
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I did just this. I was definitely tiring of just hitting paper, so i participated in my first IDPA match this past weekend. man it was fun...i just want to do another one now. I actually took 3rd place in my pistol class/division (CDP uncertified). I think i'll do even better next time now that i know what to expect. For the first time it was $10 for all day fun. i pay almost that much to shoot at the local range. Everyone is friendly, dont be scared. I went by myself and still had a great time.

cal3gunner
06-09-2009, 10:18 PM

Also, for many monthly matches that are not prize matches, the match director and other shooters won't care what you use for your first match so just bring what you have and shoot it.

My first match ever was an IDPA match and I was using a crappy $10 holster and drawing mags from my pockets.

D53
06-09-2009, 10:19 PM
They have IDPA matches down here in Oceanside at Iron Sights. I have been thinking about attending one, just for the heck of it.

I'm sure I will soon.

Do it, you will have a blast.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoqDYcCDOTg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JoqDYcCDOTg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Glock Fan
06-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I would try an IDPA match before USPSA. I have shot both and IMO IDPA is a bit more first time match shooter friendly so to speak. The competition is still there but it's more of an even playing field. Lots of big boys in USPSA with very expensive 6k $$ guns. But I would highly recomend doing both

rivviepop
06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I have the CZ75 compact .40. Didn't see it on the list

Yeah, I can see why -- that specific combo puts you at an extreme disadvantage in the USPSA world, not a lot of folks would choose to use it. I'm sure the NROI would certify the gun if you went through the steps but it's hardly worth it - what you really want is a larger 9mm (like a Glock 17 for example) for Production. Heck I own two CZ 9mm compacts (both on the list) and won't even use those. :)

GoodEyeSniper
06-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Yeah, I can see why -- that specific combo puts you at an extreme disadvantage in the USPSA world, not a lot of folks would choose to use it. I'm sure the NROI would certify the gun if you went through the steps but it's hardly worth it - what you really want is a larger 9mm (like a Glock 17 for example) for Production. Heck I own two CZ 9mm compacts (both on the list) and won't even use those. :)

Well I don't have any interest in the competition itself. At all. I'm one of the least competitive people you'll meet. So as long as it's something that I can go have fun with and improve MYSELF, then it should be alright.

Why is it at a disadvantage though? Scored differently than 9mm? Plus shorter barrel? Not really sure how any of that works.

CHS
06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
If you want to have a real blast and improve your shooting, check out SSA (Steel Madness) down here in SoCal.

http://www.ssashooter.net/

There's a lot less competitiveness, and it's a BLAST. Always something different, and can't be "gamed".

I shoot with my AR-22 to save on ammo cost.

3GunFunShooter
06-10-2009, 7:20 AM
When I first started shooting IDPA it was not to compete, but to be a better shooter in stressful situations, have targets set up in different ways and I was also bored with just range shooting. My goal was to be able to shoot better than 99.9% of the people shooting at me. Once I started shooting it became addictive, now it is IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 gun.

SCMA-1
06-10-2009, 7:26 AM
If you want to have a real blast and improve your shooting, check out SSA (Steel Madness) down here in SoCal.

http://www.ssashooter.net/

There's a lot less competitiveness, and it's a BLAST. Always something different, and can't be "gamed".

I shoot with my AR-22 to save on ammo cost.

dang......didn't know they were still around. I started shooting action pistol with SSA and Ron Jung in Long Beach back in the 80's. Good to hear they are still active.:thumbsup:

SCMA-1

SCMA-1
06-10-2009, 7:35 AM
Here are some helpful instructional videos for those who are interested in trying out action shooting. The instructor is none other than USPSA Grand Master Todd Jarrett who covers some of the basic skills required to participate in IPSC/IDPA type matches. Check them out:

ysa50-plo48

fOExrxtKvio

OmNjcubxfQA

Ic826JrwiBs

G2zYvMpTeqI

iZjr7TmtIVU

JTROKS
06-10-2009, 7:38 AM
IPSC is really fun. Look at it this way, you get to learn how to improve on your shooting while having so much fun. You'll also meet lots of nice people too.

mastadonn
06-10-2009, 7:45 AM
Bianchi Cup also in Bakersfield/5 Dogs Range - 3rd Saturday

MJG - Bianchi Cup - Pistol Match
3rd Saturday - 6/20, 8/15, 10/17
New Shooters Welcome! .22 Rimfire OK
TIME: KSS HP Range will be closed for set up the morning of the match
9am

RULES : NOT a Registered NRA AP match – Shooting For Fun
1. Any Pistol. Separate class for Optics, Iron Sights and Rimfire
2. NRA Action Pistol/Bianchi. Practical (Turners), Plates, Runner & Barricades
3. Practical/Barricades (AP1 Target) 2X10, 15, 25 yd.
Plates/Runner=10, 15, 20, 25 yards
4. 196 rounds minimum. Each stage will involve 48 rounds fired.
5. Draw from a secure holster is normally required.
6. New Shooters w/o holster may start gun drawn low ready position
7. Cold range. No loaded firearms except on the firing line.
8. Once relay starts. Shooters on the line are responsible for
reloading promptly. The firing line is considered “Hot” until the “Unload and Show Clear” call is given.
COST: $10 KSS members $15 Guests
RECOMMENDATIONS
1. Sight in before the match.
2. Bring 200 rounds minimum of ammo + spare for practice
3. If possible, bring extra magazines or speed loaders and a belt pouch for empties.

Come on out and get in some practice with your favorite pistol!
Sponsored by Kern Shooting Sports for Members and Guests – Funding Provided by the NRA Foundation

NRA Action Pistol-Bianchi Cup Rules: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/Action/act-%20index.pdf

5 Dogs Range 20238 Woody Rd Bakersfield, CA 93308
Phone #: (661) 399-7296 fax: (661) 399-8183

PS: We are also looking into getting Steel Challenge matches set up next year.

glock_this
06-10-2009, 7:53 AM

I'm sure I will soon.

yeah but IS is an indoor range.. I would rather be outdoors or it seems just more of the same

anyway.. I want to do this & will do it. I posted up in another thread about this weeks ago, but I missed the match. I am very competitive, and would love to hone some shooting skills - but I would attend with what I have but have no idea of the process or what exact gear I need (I think I have it all). 100% newbie I would be. if I did it 1 time I know I would be hooked.

I would love to find something regular, outdoors, in San Diego area maybe within 50 miles or so.

sargenv
06-10-2009, 8:01 AM
Some of this stuff must be sinking in.. We're as busy as we've ever been at the Richmond Hotshots range. Last month we had a match with over 90 (!!) shooters.. On a nice day with no other major matches in the region, we hover around 55-70 ish shooters.. the 90+ match was surprising. Imagine 5 squads of 18... (We only have 5 bays). I couldn't believe that we were done by about 3:30.

SCMA-1
06-10-2009, 8:03 AM
yeah but IS is an indoor range.. I would rather be outdoors or it seems just more of the same

anyway.. I want to do this & will do it. I posted up in another thread about this weeks ago, but I missed the match. I am very competitive, and would love to hone some shooting skills - but I would attend with what I have but have no idea of the process or what exact gear I need (I think I have it all). 100% newbie I would be. if I did it 1 time I know I would be hooked.

I would love to find something regular, outdoors, in San Diego area maybe within 50 miles or so.

Getting started:

http://uspsa.org/dw/gettingstarted.html

Clubs near you:

Use the "Find a Club" tool in the upper right: http://uspsa.org/

SCMA-1

glock_this
06-10-2009, 8:07 AM
Getting started:

http://uspsa.org/dw/gettingstarted.html

Clubs near you:

Use the "Find a Club" tool in the upper right: http://uspsa.org/

SCMA-1

yep, already did this based on the previous post of how to.. found some. for me, it is absolute not an issue of desire, it is timing. on weekends, I am often off racing - triathlon/duathlon/running races - and that is when matches take place. so, it will either be off season for me - winter months - or just the right timing.

I wanted to do a recent one on Pala as I could then go workout on Nate Harrison Grade.

eflatminor
06-10-2009, 8:10 AM
I shoot 5-6 IPSC matches per month and have recently started shooting the Steel Challange. It's a BLAST! Also, while shooting IPSC won't really help you get good at Steel Challange (it won't hurt certainly), shooting Steel Challange will help tremendously in your IPSC skills. Indexing your whole body, quick target acquisition and transition are part of what the Steel Challange teaches you. Also, there is less running than in IPSC, which is great for beginners or anyone that has any sort of physical imparment.

The next Steel Challange match is at Raahauge's in Corona on July 12. Starts about 8:00am. You can shoot with your standard IPSC rig or bring a .22. With a .22 you won't use a holster; you'll just start from the ready position. My lady never shoots IPSC but she shoots her .22 at the Steel Challange every time. It's a very family friendly match whereas IPSC is a little more intense.

Anyway, I hope you check out the Steel Challange.

Frostbite
06-10-2009, 8:32 AM
I was with you until you said we'd need 150-200 rounds of ammunition. That's unpossible! :eek:

Gary13
06-10-2009, 8:52 AM
I have not read the other websites yet, but a quick question. How many mag's do you need for most of these matches? I have 4 now for my Ruger 22/45, do I need more?

Fjold
06-10-2009, 9:20 AM
I have not read the other websites yet, but a quick question. How many mag's do you need for most of these matches? I have 4 now for my Ruger 22/45, do I need more?

For IPSC/USPSA the minimum caliber is 9mm and generally they say to have at least 4 magazines. For the Steel Challenge 22 matches I don't know.

kmca
06-10-2009, 9:44 AM
For IPSC/USPSA the minimum caliber is 9mm and generally they say to have at least 4 magazines. For the Steel Challenge 22 matches I don't know.

For steel challenge, you run 5 strings per stage, so I would suggest at least 5. If your local club will let you run a 22 in run and gun matches, I would have at least 4. BTW, speed reloading with a 22 is not pretty.
Edit to add: You're probably good with the 4. I'm sure someone will volunteer to load a mag while you're shooting.

JTROKS
06-10-2009, 9:50 AM
Steel challenge formats aren't as popular up norCal as in soCal, I'm hoping Richmond Hotshots will set up one.

CHS
06-10-2009, 9:58 AM
For steel challenge, you run 5 strings per stage, so I would suggest at least 5. If your local club will let you run a 22 in run and gun matches, I would have at least 4. BTW, speed reloading with a 22 is not pretty.
Edit to add: You're probably good with the 4. I'm sure someone will volunteer to load a mag while you're shooting.

For Steel Madness (SSA), 4 mags should be ok. 5 would be better.

When running my AR-22 I use 25rd Black Dog Mag's, and rarely have to use a 2nd mag on a stage. The only exception is sometimes there are mandatory mag changes, in which case I use my 15rd'er shorties and carry 3-4.

Greg-Dawg
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
All you guys who regularly shoot at regular ranges are you getting bored standing there shooting one shot every 2-3 seconds at a stationary target?

How do you improve your shooting skills? How do you make it more fun and more realistic?

Think about competing in an USPSA/IDPA match.

+1 IDPA.

Or what about signing up for a self defense handgun class so you can go to the range with a purpose?

kmca
06-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Steel challenge formats aren't as popular up norCal as in soCal, I'm hoping Richmond Hotshots will set up one.

Sacramento runs Steel Challenge matches on the 3rd Sunday from March thru October, except August which is on the second Sunday.

I know it's a long way for you, but Mariposa has a Steel Challenge match every 2nd Sunday of the month. There's also a 2nd Saturday of the month match that I could tell you about, if you're interested.

GoodEyeSniper
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Some of this stuff must be sinking in.. We're as busy as we've ever been at the Richmond Hotshots range. Last month we had a match with over 90 (!!) shooters.. On a nice day with no other major matches in the region, we hover around 55-70 ish shooters.. the 90+ match was surprising. Imagine 5 squads of 18... (We only have 5 bays). I couldn't believe that we were done by about 3:30.

I think Richmond is the nearest location to me. Do they have the beginning classes that you're supposed to take, or can you just show up and do it?

1st and 3rd sundays of the month, correct?

walter
06-10-2009, 11:00 AM
i go to jackson arms where rapid fire is allowed so that helps.. its less boring if you go with a couple girls

Gary13
06-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Well, there is another reason why I want a 9mm.....thanks, wonder if the wife will go with that.....

Actually, does 38 work as well, or only 9mm? Do most use 9mm? I want to get a 1911 one day, but think 45 might get expensive since I don't plan on reloading.

rivviepop
06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

We just shot one 2 weeks ago! :) (or was it 3?) But you're right, it's only once a year. :( (we had a good time)

SCMA-1
06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I think Richmond is the nearest location to me. Do they have the beginning classes that you're supposed to take, or can you just show up and do it?

1st and 3rd sundays of the month, correct?

No classes are necessary; learn as you participate. Of course, you should already be fairly proficient in basic gun handling, safety and marksmanship.

SCMA-1

rivviepop
06-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Why is it at a disadvantage though? Scored differently than 9mm? Plus shorter barrel? Not really sure how any of that works.

(re 40 vs 9, etc)

Yes, a 38 is fine to use -- sargenv is a big revolver shooter and I try it a lot too, you need to shoot 158 +P though in order to make the minimum threshold (a by-the-book 158 load isn't enough). Shooting a revolver is, to me, a lot of fun but a lot more challenging than a semiauto at our club matches due to target arrays (many stage setups like to put 7 or 8 shots in one location). You do a lot more reloading of course.

In both IDPA and USPSA Production (which is the best place to start, no "gear race" like other divisions) there is no Minor & Major based scoring; it's only Minor. Shooting a factory 40 S&W round (which is usually a 175,00 to 185,000 power factor) is an extreme disadvantage when you're competing against 38sp and 9mm shooters using a 135,000-ish (factory loads) power factor. The minimum load is a 125,000 (muzzle velocity * bullet grain) -- the only way 40 S&W works here is if you hand load them down. One of the guys we shoot with has his own minor load 40 in a Glock 35 that has less recoil than most 9mm. :) sargenv here even makes his own lead bullets now for handloads.

The other issue then, coupled with the snappy recoil of a 40 S&W, is your compact frame CZ. Shooting them myself I know how much muzzle flip they have even at 9mm, I can only imagine how much more with 40 S&W it will be -- this makes your second shot on paper (followup double-tap shot) really hard to control quickly. But, as you point out you will definitely become much, much better at your recoil and trigger control and front sight use if you do decide to use that gun. :) You'll be manhandling that gun the whole match keeping it under control.

Anyways don't let it discourage you -- just grab your gear, find a match and go have fun. I'm by no means a great shooter but I have a good time every match, practice my skills and just try to be better. You spend only 7 minutes shooting and 5hrs, 53mins helping out and talking with everyone. :)

Gary13
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I also recently read about the Glock competitions with GSSF. I see that there will be one in Richmond in August, and one in socal later. Anyone have input on these?

JTROKS
06-10-2009, 11:40 AM
We just shot one 2 weeks ago! :) (or was it 3?) But you're right, it's only once a year. :( (we had a good time)

Thanks for looking out, man. ;)

I don't have the resources to shoot a match anyway, primers are running low and I'm saving up some just incase the hoards of zombies come. :D

rivviepop
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't have the resources to shoot a match anyway, primers are running low and I'm saving up some just incase the hoards of zombies come. :D

I used a bunch of that 9mm Frangible ammo that I've had sitting around and could never figure out quite what to do with (besides basic range plinking). Made a complete mess inside my CZ but otherwise seemed to work out fine.... I wonder if a Glock would eat it?

BamBam-31
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Or you can simply rent a bay at Burro and run your own USPSA courses, like we do:

2DIcqe6qUNU

CGNers who have participated, off the top of my head: Me, Black Majik, TBoliv, Voo, Beetle Bailey, ChessRatz, Hairballs, Bruce3, Glock30....(I'm sure I'm forgetting someone).

If you wanna run in an official match in SoCal, I highly recommend Norco (http://nrg.jvdynamics.com/nrg/). Jojo runs a top notch match, w/ some of the best shooters in the country.

JTROKS
06-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I highly advice going out there with the gun you currently have taking into account it meets minimum requirements, be it a 9mm auto or a revolver. Just go out and learn the basics, get acquainted with your gun and later on an idea will come to you on what your ideal rig will be. I've seen folks buying G35/34s, CZ Sports and other stuff just to find out they would rather have a Limited/10 class 1911. You don't have to go out there fully dressed up like the guys that's been doing for 10+ years. Walk or crawl before you run, you're not going to be TGO or TJ in one week. The best thing to do is have fun learning, and you will have fun - lots of it.

SuperSet
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
Nice run! Sounds like a fun way to spend an afternoon.
One question..do you have to be Asian to be on the squad? :shuriken:

BamBam-31
06-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Our thing? Nah, click on "Andy2nd" on the bottom scroll, and you'll see our big token Mexican. TBoliv is Caucazoidal, as is Glock30 ("Eric2nd" in the bottom vids). We don't discriminate....much. :p

ETA: Okay, maybe we do. Below is TBoliv's run, complete w/ racial commentary. :43: (Vu, our best shooter by far (USPSA A Class), is explaining things to a first-timer we had w/ us that day.)

xqHP3poj8_8&feature=related

Anyways, as the OP states, it's definitely a nice change-up from static shooting at the range (which is it's own form of joy, I might add).

dwtt
06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
I highly advice going out there with the gun you currently have taking into account it meets minimum requirements, be it a 9mm auto or a revolver. Just go out and learn the basics, get acquainted with your gun and later on an idea will come to you on what your ideal rig will be. I've seen folks buying G35/34s, CZ Sports and other stuff just to find out they would rather have a Limited/10 class 1911. You don't have to go out there fully dressed up like the guys that's been doing for 10+ years. Walk or crawl before you run, you're not going to be TGO or TJ in one week. The best thing to do is have fun learning, and you will have fun - lots of it.

I second this advice. Just use the gun you have and like to shoot. As long as it meets the minimum power factor, you'll find a class to shoot in and you'll learn a lot about shooting.
I started a few years ago with TASC at Chabot and took their new shooter class with my 9mm Hi-Power. I shot OK for a new shooter, and I was the only one on the range who had to stick in an empty magazine to drop the hammer after the course of fire. Even after getting a glock and shooting in Production, and a 1911 in .45 for Single Stack class, I still prefer shooting the single action 9mm Hi-Power in Limited 10. Just go out and shoot the gun you have and don't worry about trying to keep up with the Master shooters.

M47_Dragon
06-10-2009, 1:09 PM
Another great place to shoot in So Cal is the ISI Range(s) near Lake Piru (http://www.isishootists.com/).

Schedule:

1st Saturday: Steel Challenge

2nd Saturday: Compact/Tactical Revolver *

3rd Saturday: USPSA/IPSC

4th Saturday: IDPA

* The compact/revolver day is really just another IDPA match, but to accommodate compact autos (4" and smaller) and SSR or ESR revolvers. You don't have to shoot these guns, you can shoot a regular gun as well, you just compete in a "Non-Compact, Non-Revolver" class.

Really friendly people, good stage design, nice setting. There is a monthly meeting held on the 4th Saturday with drawings for prizes and award ceremony for previous months' events.

$25 fee for match.

hybridatsun350
06-10-2009, 1:43 PM

Where are you located?

Fjold
06-10-2009, 3:40 PM
For you revolver shooters:

Revolvers are in their own class so you don't compete against all the autoloaders. Speed loaders are recommended and since they hold fewer rounds it would be best to have a bunch of them.

ept000
06-10-2009, 4:21 PM

How far north? Ukiah has matches.

SickofSoCal
06-10-2009, 4:32 PM
How about going into the national forest?

GoodEyeSniper
06-10-2009, 6:57 PM
I second this advice. Just use the gun you have and like to shoot. As long as it meets the minimum power factor, you'll find a class to shoot in and you'll learn a lot about shooting.
I started a few years ago with TASC at Chabot and took their new shooter class with my 9mm Hi-Power. I shot OK for a new shooter, and I was the only one on the range who had to stick in an empty magazine to drop the hammer after the course of fire. Even after getting a glock and shooting in Production, and a 1911 in .45 for Single Stack class, I still prefer shooting the single action 9mm Hi-Power in Limited 10. Just go out and shoot the gun you have and don't worry about trying to keep up with the Master shooters.

I was just going to ask about hi-powers for this, haha. For some unexplainable reason I'm very drawn to the BHPs. Never even held one, let alone shot one.

cal3gunner
06-10-2009, 9:14 PM
How about going into the national forest?

In the national forests you can shoot as fast as you want and for the most part shoot whatever you want to bring out there as long as you clean it up.

But you won't be competeing with lots of great guys and shooting well thought out stages that are meant to push.

I have brought out target stands and IPSC targets out to the national forests to practice classifier stages. Its fun but not the same as shooting a real match where there is people watching you.

FS00008
06-10-2009, 9:23 PM
Here's a question... What about mil-surp handguns? I don't see mine on the list but would love to shoot a few matches with my mil-surps (Sov-Bloc). Is that even possible?

CHS
06-10-2009, 9:30 PM
Here's a question... What about mil-surp handguns? I don't see mine on the list but would love to shoot a few matches with my mil-surps (Sov-Bloc). Is that even possible?

It's totally legal for SSA :)

I love SSA for that! If it's something new that they haven't seen anyone shoot before, they just make a new class!

cal3gunner
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM

As long as its 9mm or larger and in safe working condition I don't see why not. Just because you don't see it legal for production doesn't mean you can't shoot it. You will be able to shoot in Limited, Limited 10 or Open depending on how the gun is set up

FS00008
06-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Aw... it has to be 9MM? :-(

7.62x25 wouldn't work? They make a blanket limit for 9MM or larger?

SVTNate
06-11-2009, 12:35 AM
I haven't read the thread as it seems you guys are pretty well into it, but yes range shooting is boring to me and has been for a few years now. When I got my CCW, I looked into training more, and it opened my eyes as to how little you learn about fighting with a gun when you're standing there punching paper. I've taken courses from Suarez International and some other trainers, and found it to be much more challenging, fun, while developing a useful set of skills. IMO if you see guns as tools of self defense just as much if not more than sporting fun, it's the essential next step beyond basic marksmanship. It's not cheap to take a 2 day course, especially considering the cost of ammo, but it's a great learning experience and unlike any other shooting you may have done before. It will also show you why most "gun games" are poor training aids for learning how to use a firearm defensively.

RetroPhit
06-11-2009, 1:32 AM
I was with you until you said we'd need 150-200 rounds of ammunition. That's unpossible! :eek:

I was thinking that too

SuperSet
06-11-2009, 7:36 AM
Almost everyone reloads to shoot more for less. And if you think that 150-200 rds is unpossible, wait till you catch the 3-gun bug. ;)

cal3gunner
06-11-2009, 7:58 AM

It would have to make the minimum Minor power factor of 125. What that means is bullet weight x velocity equals 125,000 or more. For example, a 125gr bullet at 1000 fps or a 115gr bullet at 1087 fps.

It wouldn't be fair if someone was using a heavy gun with little 380 ammo that recoils like a 22. They would have an unfair advantage.

The whole idea behind USPSA is Speed, Power and Accuracy. You get the speed from your time, the accuracy from the number of points you earn on a stage, power from either Minor or Major power factor, mix all those together and you get your Hit Factor which is how you are ranked on each stage.

rivviepop
06-11-2009, 9:41 AM

Technically they list it as ".38 caliber" (to accommodate 38 +P), but yes. So while you could should a higher velocity Tokarev (S&B or Wolf, e.g.) to make 125,000 power factor, your 85gr .30 bullet won't make minimum size limit. Your case length though is fine.

A 9x18mm Makarov is also disqualified because case length must be 19mm or longer (well and it also doesn't make power factor, usually).