PDA

View Full Version : New Lady in the Bunch

renay
06-09-2009, 4:23 PM
I just wanted to say hello to all the sisters on Calguns. I live in So Cal and I've been to a range once but I would like to start educating myself on guns so that I can safely make my first purchase. One of the guys from the Pink Pistols suggested that we look over here because there is a wealth of information here on Calguns. I'm excited to start participating in the forum.

goober
06-09-2009, 4:32 PM
Welcome, renay! :cheers2:

PatriotnMore
06-09-2009, 4:35 PM
Welcome, nice to have you on board.:mnl: Don't be afraid to ask any question, the only stupid ones, are the one not asked.

wildhawker
06-09-2009, 4:52 PM
Welcome, and glad you've joined THE most fun, educational and tight-knit group of gunnies both online and off.

Don't be shy, and please do post your thoughts, experiences and questions all over (General, Handguns, Rifles, 2A- whatever you enjoy).

Again, welcome!

renay
06-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Thank you everyone. I've spent an evening at an indoor range. A couple of ladies I know who shoot took me with them to the range one evening. These girls have gunsafes and rifles and handguns! After some safety tips and learning how to load the magazine, I shot a Glock 9mm and it was my first time firing a weapon. I'd like to own a 9mm and I am partial to the Mossberg 500 12 ga. I'll have questions and I can see I have a wealth of knowledge at my disposal. I was never into guns or owning them for that matter but as of late, my thought process has changed in this day and age, I want to be a responsible gunowner.

rimfire17
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Welcome!

Going to the range and trying things out is an excellent way to begin.

Don't let old guys in gun stores convince you that what you need is a .38 revolver. Unless you've tried it and actually liked it. I detest them. I see no point in having a gun I wouldn't want to take out for a day's shooting.

The Glock 9mm has much good to say about itself. They're reliable and very simple to clean and reassemble. They don't have weird little parts that jump into oblivion. They're also a quality product in their price range.

Another good aspect of the Glock is the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit. It's a little pricey, but for around $300 you can convert your 9mm into a .22 for some inexpensive shooting.

The Sig Sauer pistols have much to commend themselves, too. However, they tend to be more expensive than Glocks.

As for shotguns, I'm a Remington-girl. :-) However, take a look at some of the Benelli tactical shotguns. They're attractively priced and I'm considering one.

Ladyfox
06-10-2009, 8:05 PM
Welcome to the forums just do know that after awhile it becomes VERY addicting to read and post frequently here. Heck, I have to restrain myself from checking posts while at work. -_^

BTW, just wished to make my own semi-intro post here as well while I'm at it. Meant to do it sooner but just never got around to it since there are so many other areas in here to rummage thru for facts and other interesting topics.

Richie Caketown
06-10-2009, 9:07 PM
not only is this place addicting but once you stroll into the FOR SALE section you know you can start kissing your income good bye

movie zombie
06-10-2009, 9:22 PM
not only is this place addicting but once you stroll into the FOR SALE section you know you can start kissing your income good bye

that's the truth!

mz

wildhawker
06-10-2009, 9:41 PM

Amen, when other members start PMing you an update of what may be coming up for sale, there's your sign...

Ladyfox, I see you're in Sunnyvale- I'm sure Mrs.Wildhawker would love to meet up for some range time one of these days if you're interested. Any time she can meet new friends (especially Calgunners) and shoot the toys go into the range bag.

armygunsmith
06-10-2009, 9:48 PM
Good Start and welcome.

AlliedArmory
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome Aboard! Lots of great people here.

forgiven
06-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Welcome:)

Futurecollector
06-11-2009, 4:05 AM
Welcome,

+1 on not letting old guys tell you that you need a .38 revolver!

try them all and buy them all, lol

If you ever want any of the guys to let you try there firearms just let us know most of us have let other people try out guns so they can see what they like, or if they want that gun.

anyways welcome aboard!

ENTHUSIAST
06-11-2009, 4:42 AM
Welcome renay, the Glock 9mm & Mossberg 500 12 GA are 2 MUST HAVE guns In My Humble Opinion...

I love mine!!! :wub:

May I also recommend trying .45 handgun in "1911" style and America's other FAVORITE gun... the "AR-15" OLL type rifle.

These 4 guns are celebrated and loved by almost all firearms enthusiasts and make up the quintessential Top 5 in many collections.... and as mentioned try BEFORE you buy is ALWAYS a good rule of thumb.

P.S. I also would encourage you to attend any of the upcoming CalGuns shoots or just ask and I am sure one of the members here could arrange a range trip to shoot whatever gun that peaks your interest!!!

P.P.S. You could be more of an "AK-47" style OLL type of a woman than a "AR-15" OLL type of lady... you never know until you try! :)

Welcome to CalGuns ENJOY,
ENTHUSIAST

blkrifle223
06-11-2009, 5:07 AM
welcome to calguns.....:party:

CSACANNONEER
06-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Welcome to Calguns! I think everyone needs at least one .38/.357 wheelgun! In an emergency, wheelguns don't fail to feed or stovepipe and, if there is a failure to fire, there's no need to think about working the action. You just pull the trigger again! I don't recommend a semi-auto for SD unless you spend a lot of time and money training with it. In a high stress situation, you need to rely on muscle memory and a quick reaction time instead of having to think about what to do. With a revolver, it's just easier to learn what to do and less likely that there will be a problem. To anyone who tries to argue that their pistol has never had a failure to feed, failure to fire, stove pipe, etc., you just haven't shot it enough. The time will come and you can only hope that it doesn't happen when you are betting your life on your guns preformance. Yes, I shoot and have carried both pistols and revolvers and both have their merrits and weaknesses. But, I'd rather know that I will have 5 rounds of .38 work than have a full 17rd mag drop to the ground because the mag release got bumped, have a failure to fire, or stovepipe when I need it most. Really, a shotgun is a better tool to use to protect your life with. Oh, this old guy will tell you that you need a few .22lrs to go with your .38s, semi-auto pistols, rifles and shotguns.

Stormfeather
06-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Echoing all these other great members comments, welcome to my home while im in Iraq! This is the only thing that keeps us sane over here! m sure you will make lots of new friends, and as most have said, dont be afraid to ask questions and feel free to join us at any Calguns shoot, theres tons of people here who have no issue with letting new firearms owners try out their stuff!\
oh, and kiss any free time or income buh-bye. . . this place is addicting!

Ladyfox
06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Amen, when other members start PMing you an update of what may be coming up for sale, there's your sign...

Ladyfox, I see you're in Sunnyvale- I'm sure Mrs.Wildhawker would love to meet up for some range time one of these days if you're interested. Any time she can meet new friends (especially Calgunners) and shoot the toys go into the range bag.

I'd be up for that and it sounds like fun! Let me know when would be a good weekend to try for and let's see about making it work. ^_^

BTW, I saw some monthly shooting going on over at the San Jose Municipal Firing Range that looked interesting. Problem is that I've been frustrated so far over not really being able to find any quantity of TMJ ammo that is required there. Got plenty of FMJ but for the life of me I can not find any decent source for TMJ. :(

Ladyfox
06-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Welcome to Calguns! I think everyone needs at least one .38/.357 wheelgun! In an emergency, wheelguns don't fail to feed or stovepipe and, if there is a failure to fire, there's no need to think about working the action. You just pull the trigger again! I don't recommend a semi-auto for SD unless you spend a lot of time and money training with it. In a high stress situation, you need to rely on muscle memory and a quick reaction time instead of having to think about what to do. With a revolver, it's just easier to learn what to do and less likely that there will be a problem. To anyone who tries to argue that their pistol has never had a failure to feed, failure to fire, stove pipe, etc., you just haven't shot it enough. The time will come and you can only hope that it doesn't happen when you are betting your life on your guns preformance. Yes, I shoot and have carried both pistols and revolvers and both have their merrits and weaknesses. But, I'd rather know that I will have 5 rounds of .38 work than have a full 17rd mag drop to the ground because the mag release got bumped, have a failure to fire, or stovepipe when I need it most. Really, a shotgun is a better tool to use to protect your life with. Oh, this old guy will tell you that you need a few .22lrs to go with your .38s, semi-auto pistols, rifles and shotguns.

I 100% agree with this and I pretty much say the same whenever someone asks me about advice over such matters. While a revolver may not be as, well, interesting as a semi-auto it is a much more forgiving beast in that it really is as simple as point and squeeze the trigger.

And nicer still is that, while it may be a bit harder, you can find revolvers chambered for just about everything from .22LR to .45 ACP so you do have options.

Trapper
06-12-2009, 9:29 AM
Accuracy should be your first concern and shooting with a .22lr or .38 revolver is the best way to develop good shooting habits. Some shooters increase their skill level fast enough to move on to larger firearms quickly, others just burn gun powder. In competition or the real world, you simply can't miss fast enough to win!
If you'd like to shoot any of my revolvers or .22's I'd be glad to meet at Project 2000 or South Bay Rod and Gun.

renay
06-12-2009, 2:38 PM
Echoing all these other great members comments, welcome to my home while im in Iraq! This is the only thing that keeps us sane over here! m sure you will make lots of new friends, and as most have said, dont be afraid to ask questions and feel free to join us at any Calguns shoot, theres tons of people here who have no issue with letting new firearms owners try out their stuff!\
oh, and kiss any free time or income buh-bye. . . this place is addicting!

Any "windfall" I've gotten lately went into photography equipment. It use to be my Just Empty Every Pocket that kept my pockets empty with all the aftermarket parts. I always say I have too many interests.

renay
06-12-2009, 2:40 PM
You guys/girls are the best. Thank you for the love and advice. Seems like a great place to hang around. Would you ever believe that I was never a gun person and hated guns? I believe in the right to bear guns, but I didn't see myself ever owning a gun. When you get older, your willing to try new things for whatever reason. I never liked trucks or Jeeps but that is all I have ever owned. Never see myself owning a "car".

Steyrlp10
07-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the Dark Side.

... and reading posts during work time is considered going on break -- indefinitely -- lol

PonchoTA
07-08-2009, 5:42 PM
If you ever make it up here to Ventura, you've got a standing invitation to Shooter's! Range time is on me!

Welcome, and hope you enjoy!

:cheers2:
Paul