PDA

View Full Version : FN Five-Seven IOM...

monkey
04-10-2005, 3:58 PM
Now that these are legal in CA, I have a question about them. I'm seeing 2 types around the internet: One version has a rounded trigger guard just like the standard Five-Seven and the other has a squared trigger guard. Both are IOMs, but obviously one is a newer version than the other. Anyone know which is which?

monkey
04-10-2005, 3:58 PM
Now that these are legal in CA, I have a question about them. I'm seeing 2 types around the internet: One version has a rounded trigger guard just like the standard Five-Seven and the other has a squared trigger guard. Both are IOMs, but obviously one is a newer version than the other. Anyone know which is which?

uzigalil
04-10-2005, 6:38 PM
i THINK THE SQUARE TRIgger guard model is called the FN USG model, and I dont think that model is approved. plzz correct me if im wrong.

monkey
04-10-2005, 7:01 PM
Interesting. Check out Gunbroker.com and do a search on IOM, you'll get several that are being called specifically "IOM" but have square trigger guards. Certainly don't want to order an IOM and have a USG show up...

monkey
04-10-2005, 7:31 PM
It also begs to be asked why FN would submit a handgun into the CA system that they are now discontinuing. The IOM is by all accounts no longer being made.

uzigalil
04-10-2005, 8:07 PM
Monkey , I agree. I wonder if it has to do with the IOM being made during the ban on hicaps and those guns came with 10 rnd mags. I also heard that some people you bought USg models had a old IOM sticker on the box that the gun was shipped in.

leelaw
01-26-2006, 11:06 PM
I don't know why they're discontinuing the IOM. Personally, I prefer the IOM over the USG, which had an ugly magazine release button, and was overly aggressive on the texturing.

Rumpled
01-27-2006, 12:03 AM
First, FN made a tactical model, very few and for M&P only - some have made it to US civilian market.

Then the IOM with the rounded trigger guard for gloves.

Then, the USG with squared guard and different checkering. This, is to replace the IOM as I understand it.

I got a USG and the box had labels stating both IOM and USG. I think during the transition to the USG, FN used up all their stock of labels and such.
I ordered a IOM the day after they were listed, vendor couldn't get it and got USG. I was real worried, but by the time it was shipped the USG was listed as safe for me to use (/sarcsm off).

When I DROS'd it, the state computer didn't have either model, a bit of a quandry for the FFL until he called DOJ -that was a really long lunch (couple of) hour(s)

For full info on 5.7's check out www.fivesevenforum.com

Now, where to get cheap SS192, SS195LF or SS197 - and when do Fiocchi and others get in the game? A .50 is almost cheaper to shoot!

zefflyn
01-30-2006, 3:28 PM
i THINK THE SQUARE TRIgger guard model is called the FN USG model, and I dont think that model is approved. plzz correct me if im wrong.

They are both on the list. I just happened to be looking up FN's HiPowers yesterday, and noticed both models of FiveseveN listed.

uzigalil
01-30-2006, 4:21 PM
you woke up a dead post.... we have learned a lot in the last year

www.fivesevenforum.com

Jeff Rambo
01-30-2006, 4:46 PM
The IOM and USG are both on the list, but unless renewed, the USG will fall off on April 12th, 06. This will give me approximately 6 days to acquire a new one. Great.

Rumpled
01-30-2006, 5:59 PM
That seems kinda odd. I thought the IOM and USG were approved pretty close to each other, not nearly the year that it seems to be from the DOJ sight.

FN might not be renewing the IOM since they apparently don't make it any more.

There's always PPT.

Jeff Rambo
01-30-2006, 6:17 PM
That seems kinda odd. I thought the IOM and USG were approved pretty close to each other, not nearly the year that it seems to be from the DOJ sight.

The IOM expires 3/23/07 and the USG expires 4/12/06. Check the DOJ web site for confirmation.

There's always PPT.

Good point, but then it might be price & demand scenarios.

Rumpled
01-30-2006, 6:29 PM
Yeah, I looked at the DOJ site before my post. But my memory was that they were listed only a few weeks or a month apart.
Maybe my memory sucks.

MidnightSon117
02-01-2006, 5:59 PM
The IOM and USG are both on the list, but unless renewed, the USG will fall off on April 12th, 06. This will give me approximately 6 days to acquire a new one. Great.

Why would you only have 6 days left to acquire one?

Jeff Rambo
02-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Turn 21 on April 7th, gives me 6 days to acquire a NEW one, if they fall off the list as planned.

I received my first handgun (HK USP .45 Compact) via operation of law, but do not want to go thru that process again. So I'll just wait.

MidnightSon117
02-03-2006, 5:05 PM
Turn 21 on April 7th, gives me 6 days to acquire a NEW one, if they fall off the list as planned.

I received my first handgun (HK USP .45 Compact) via operation of law, but do not want to go thru that process again. So I'll just wait.

That's horrible...is FN really gonna let the USG fall off the list? They already have the devices installed to fulfill both of California's laws, so I wouldn't think they'd let it go but who knows. Hope you get it.

rips31
02-06-2006, 3:11 PM
i doubt fn would allow the usg to fall off the list. the iom's discontinued, so the usg is the only commercially available gun in this chambering.

hope u get yours, tho.

phobos512
02-07-2006, 12:38 PM
...so the usg is the only commercially available gun in this chambering.

...in California.

rips31
02-07-2006, 12:59 PM
...in California.
well, yes, in kali, we'd only be able to get the usg, once the iom is no longer on the list (assuming the usg stays on the list). move outside of kali and there's maybe 3-4 other fn 5.7 pistols available for varying prices, not to mention the ps90 smg.

check out:
http://fivesevenforum.com/

for more info.

xenophobe
02-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Now, where to get cheap SS192, SS195LF or SS197 - and when do Fiocchi and others get in the game? A .50 is almost cheaper to shoot!

$22.95 a box http://www.gunexchange.com

In stock and we've got plenty....

We don't have any more pistols in stock, but we have more on the way!

rips31
02-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Now, where to get cheap SS192, SS195LF or SS197 - and when do Fiocchi and others get in the game?
i believe that natchez ss will sell ss197 for ~$18/box (n/i shipping), if you order on the phone.

fiocchi is currently producing ss197. wolf is supposed to start later this year. fnh supposedly ramped up their production of ss195.

leelaw
02-08-2006, 1:03 PM
i believe that natchez ss will sell ss197 for ~$18/box (n/i shipping), if you order on the phone.

fiocchi is currently producing ss197. wolf is supposed to start later this year. fnh supposedly ramped up their production of ss195.

Sweet. I'd be willing to put Wolf through my IOM.. sure beat going to the range now:

Plink!
<cringe>
Plink!
"$1.00"
Plink!
<cringe>
Plink!
"$2.00"
Plink!
<cries a little inside>
Plink!

:D