PDA

View Full Version : Female Friendly Gun Stores

rimfire17
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
You've all been to the gun store where there's a couple of guys in the corner all talking with one another and avoiding new customers. It's especially common when a woman enters the store. You get ignored or treated like the "little lady."

I'd like to start a review of stores in California. What are your experiences? What stores are friendly and open to women? Which ones should we avoid?

I'll start with the Bay Area. J&R in Livermore is friendly. Sportsmen Supply in Campbell is also a winner. Avoid Castro Valley like the plague. The owner (seldom there) is a good sort, but one of the guys he has working there is a jerk. He treats nearly anyone who isn't a regular like they've got a disease. He's especially unfriendly to women and minorities.

How about your experiences?

PatriotnMore
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
^Welcome to the forum, glad to see more women participate.. Great review idea for the Ladies.

renay
06-09-2009, 4:08 PM
That sucks and I hate to hear crap like this. I drive a Jeep offroad and fish and sometimes I get guys who think no women should be allowed in the treehouse. The first time I went shooting was at an indoor range here in San Diego called Discount Gun Mart. The guy was funning and laughing/joking and asked why four women were coming to the range and how he was getting worried. The guy was genuinly joking and the staff was very nice. I would only hope every shooting establishment would be like that.

wildhawker
06-09-2009, 4:55 PM
Up here in NorCal, I can recommend Irvington, J&R, Reeds (rental side- Yancy is truly a wonderful and patient human being) and BAGV without hesitation. Irvington has been a favorite of Mrs.Wildhawker (Reeds is her fav indoor range), but she's had positive experiences with all of the above folks. I'm sure there are others, but I thought I'd share some of our positive experiences.

06-09-2009, 5:34 PM
For the most women-friendly gun store I recommend Glenn Quagmire's Gun Exchange.

Giggity, giggity...Allright! :D

On a serious note...Ammo Bros in Cerritos has a nice selection and outstanding customer service.

PonchoTA
06-09-2009, 7:09 PM
Sooo, glad to hear that more women are interested in guns, shooting sports, and protection.
Sam (sam.38) and I are (were, at least) trying to put together an all female Utah CCW class sometime this year, I'd be happy to try and arrange it again if there was enough interest. Between her and guruwes (her hubby) doing a wonderful job of hosting, and Matt's lecture, and even having a notary right in the class too, the last class was a great success!
I think we'd both like to see how many ladies would be interested in participating in this.

I know that Matt said he would be happy to do that class, would tailor the lecture better, etc.

gotgunz
06-10-2009, 2:02 AM
I have a small 38/357 revolver; does that make me less of a man?

LOL!

liketoshoot
06-10-2009, 7:42 AM
The Gun Store in Lancaster will treat you like a customer no-mater if you are female or male, they even like me!

Dirtbiker
06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Riflegear in Costa Mesa is everyone friendly. One of the shop owners is a woman (Eiko not sure on spelling) she has a pink Hello-Kitty AR-15.

D53
06-10-2009, 3:42 PM
I know I am way up here, but like I have said millions of times before and its even in my signature, but the guys at River City Gun Echange are great. When my wife went in to buy a Kimber 1911, Paul took his time to answer all her questions, there was no push to sell her a gun at the time. He must have shown here about 8-9 guns before they settled on the Kimber.

I have also been in there many of times and have watched other employees take the time to answer all questions and not hesitate to let a female hold a firearm to make sure thats what they really wanted.

And no I do not work for them or get any special treatment for mentioning them, I do it because out of all the guns I have purchased through them and all the guns I just fondled while at their store, I have always recieved great service.

Khram
06-10-2009, 4:31 PM
Ade's gun shop is owned by a woman.

gadjeep
06-10-2009, 6:14 PM
I keep reading negative things about Castro Valley's service but I had just the opposite experience. My wife who is anti-gun but understanding of me being pro-gun went in to buy me a 1911 for my birthday. She had nothing but good things to say about the experience (aside from comments on the decor "very manly"). I have since directed a female friend there to buy a pistol and she had a similar outcome. Sorry to hear about these situations but I can't corroborate them.

Ladyfox
06-10-2009, 8:01 PM
Bay Area Gun Vault would be a another good place in the Bay Area to visit. Just about everyone there is very knowledgeable and very friendly even for first-time buyers.

I'd also give another vote to J&R up in Livermore if you are up for the drive. Nice people, great prices, and very friendly atmosphere.

Stormfeather
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I definitely give J&R in Livermore a huge thumbs up, as well as Irvington Arms, and Bullseye right across the bridge, these places get great marks from myself and the wife,

HOWEVER, theres a gun & knife shop in Dublin that will never get my business ever, due to the snobby elitest counter people. Its so bad, my wife refuses to go there and shes as big of a gun nut as I am. I dont remember the name of it, its on Dublin Blvd and Hopyard I think.

rimfire17
06-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I keep reading negative things about Castro Valley's service but I had just the opposite experience. My wife who is anti-gun but understanding of me being pro-gun went in to buy me a 1911 for my birthday. She had nothing but good things to say about the experience (aside from comments on the decor "very manly"). I have since directed a female friend there to buy a pistol and she had a similar outcome. Sorry to hear about these situations but I can't corroborate them.

I think it depends on who is in the store that day. There's one guy in there who was just a total jerk. I don't remember his name, but he was the former owner. Light colored hair and thick glasses.

He's supposed to be gone now. I'm planning on going back into to verify.

When I was served by the owner, I thought the place was terrific. It's been cleaned up a lot and there's much better inventory. The owner has assured me that treating all customers regardless of gender or race has been a topic of discussion.

Andreotti's, not too far away, is tiny and treats everyone who is not a regular with apathy. The place reeks of stale tobacco smoke, too.

rimfire17
06-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Dom's Outfitters, Livermore

I went into Dom's Outfitters today looking for a Browning Buckmark and they were great. They didn't have any Buckmarks in stock, but that wasn't their fault. It seems Browning has experienced high demand lately.

In any event, I give them good marks for female friendliness. They checked the back for a possible pistol and brought out the catalog to discuss ordering. I can't fault them for service.

Their selection is rather small, but seemed to have a respectable number of Sig's. They seem to be more hunting-oriented.

forgiven
06-14-2009, 6:22 AM
Every experience I have had over 28 yrs, when I've seen women in gun shops have been positive. Any joker who would ignore, give a hard time too, etc. needs to be run out of town.
Any man with a brain should know that women and children hold the key to our gun future. Common courtesy is a must for anyone, especially women. Besides, women are funner to talk too and look at.:)

rimfire17
06-14-2009, 8:57 AM
My goal is to visit every gun store in the Bay Area and possibly as high up as Napa and Sonoma and over into the closer parts of the San Joaquin and report.

Bass Pro Shop - Manteca

They're a busy bunch on the weekend, but I've been in a few times (mostly in search of ammo). I've had positive experiences, however, when going to the counter to check out their guns. Yesterday, I broke down and bought a Beretta Neos. (Yeah, I need another .22 like I need a hole in my head, but it had a picatinny rail that would fit one of my red dots).

I have to say the experience was very positive despite it being a big chain and busy.

Next, I went to Hook, Line, and Sinker in Oakley. I'll have to go back when they're less busy to give a report. There was only 1 or 2 guys working and a pretty big crowd. They did have a lot of 9mm ammo, so I may go back during the week!

Next, I hit Triple A in Vallejo. You have to be buzzed in at this store, but I've seen that in other places and it's no big deal. If you knew the neighborhood, it wouldn't surprise you. The guys were also friendly.

I just mentioned that they had a High Standard and the guy was pulling it out for me to look at. I'd give them a thumbs up, too.

Lyte-
06-16-2009, 1:29 PM
I went to Ammo Bro's in Cerritos to do a purchase and they were great. They where very helpful and did not talk down to me when I was in the store.

I was not judged because I was a female nor because I am African American.

So I would reccomend them.

On Target In Laguna was also very friendly when I went in there with another Female friend. Quite helpful and answered all my questions with out any additude.

Firing Line in Huntington Beach is also great.
Now my first impression of that place was not very good because one of the guys who worked there was very short with my friend and my self, how ever I let a friend talk me back into going there and my self experience was much better. Now I have a membership there and I have nothing but praise for them.

ChibiPaw
06-16-2009, 2:51 PM
Irvington hands down. I walked in there one day, full on sweet lolita. Bunny ears and all and bought a gun. Never an issue with them giving you to real 411, and the respect a paying customer expects.

Bullseye, a popular place for those who not so season. You can try out many things from the rental selection.

Castro Valley has two gun shops. First one is the Castro Valley gunshop, now has been acquired by Bullseyes. My experienced was just post acquisition. Walked in there same day as I visited Irvington. They didn't treat me seriously, and gave me FUD about OLL. The business went to Irvington that day.

Andreotti. He's not ignoring you, he's is ignoring everyone. Equal opportunity grumpy old guy. jumped on OLL band wagon quite late. Sells featureless BB set up. :shrug:

J&R. Friendly place to shop, good all around. Too bad it's far from me.

Triple A. Arias is the owner. He's good guy, get to know him. Lots of evil stuff to sell, and about the only place that sells evil AK's up in the northbay.

allanodell
06-18-2009, 1:08 PM
Castro Valley Gun Shop on Redwood is great; friendly, just gives you a hard time in a joking manner. J&R too is really helpful.

Disagree with other about Reed's, great place to shoot indoors, but don't spend your $$$ there. I have had multiple purchases there and always made feel like I am imposing on them. Dont go there unless you know exactly what you want to buy

Steyrlp10
06-18-2009, 1:57 PM
My goal is to visit every gun store in the Bay Area and possibly as high up as Napa and Sonoma and over into the closer parts of the San Joaquin and report.

Bass Pro Shop - Manteca

They're a busy bunch on the weekend, but I've been in a few times (mostly in search of ammo). I've had positive experiences, however, when going to the counter to check out their guns. Yesterday, I broke down and bought a Beretta Neos. (Yeah, I need another .22 like I need a hole in my head, but it had a picatinny rail that would fit one of my red dots).

I have to say the experience was very positive despite it being a big chain and busy.

Next, I went to Hook, Line, and Sinker in Oakley. I'll have to go back when they're less busy to give a report. There was only 1 or 2 guys working and a pretty big crowd. They did have a lot of 9mm ammo, so I may go back during the week!

Next, I hit Triple A in Vallejo. You have to be buzzed in at this store, but I've seen that in other places and it's no big deal. If you knew the neighborhood, it wouldn't surprise you. The guys were also friendly.

I just mentioned that they had a High Standard and the guy was pulling it out for me to look at. I'd give them a thumbs up, too.

I liked Bass Pro too... my problem is that I can only push one cart and pull the other behind me. Drives my husband bonkers when I tell him the carts are too dang small - lol (You can NEVER have enough guns/ammo and tackle!)

Sweenys in Napa is a nice shop if you haven't been there before.

Fjold
06-18-2009, 2:05 PM
Excuse me for butting in (unapologetically male) but Ten Percent Firearms in Taft is very female friendly. The full time person there in the store is female.

dexter9659
06-20-2009, 12:27 AM
You may try Diablo Valley Gun Works, in Pleasant Hill (behind Casper's). If Robin is working, she is perfect for finding arms for women. You could ask her husband Ken... but he will refer to her. If I am in (look for the youngest looking kid in the shop) I love helping everyone find what works for them, even if it is at a different shop.

RubberBandDeadEye
06-23-2009, 10:00 PM
I am new to guns and to this forum, but I have been to two shops in the area (besides Big 5 and Walmart) so here are my reviews...

Fowler Gun Room located at 358 S. Tustin Ave in Orange has a huge selection of firearms, ammo, and accessories. They buy, sell, and trade. I memorized the ammo I needed so I wouldn't look like a know-nuthin' little lady, so I was chanting the two kinds I needed in my head over and over. There were quite a few people in the store considering it was a weekday and mid-afternoon. I immediately noticed I was the only female. I was greeted when I first came in, but was left alone to look (I hate it when salespeople breathe desperately down your neck when you just want to look in peace), and when I looked like I needed help, someone approached me. The salesman was very nice, and treated me like a customer, so I felt comfortable enough to share that I was new to guns, and wanted to look at a few 22's. He was very knowledgeable, and so were the other salespeople I encountered. They even offered to order a couple Crickets so I could compare them before I decide what to get for my son, and they also have a layaway program. As I left, I noticed a woman was in there shopping around, and she seemed quite at home there, and I had a great experience as well. I'd definitely go back, and I get the feeling their prices are negotiable.

masameet
06-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Triple A Sporting Goods in Vallejo is my go-to local store. Aris is a great guy -- he even offered me some of his BBQ once (and laughed when I said, No, I'm not taking off my helmet) and Herman's not bad either (when he's not tossing one of my motorcycle gloves to the floor). Don't know the name of the other guy who helps out on occasion, but he, like Aris and Herman, have always accommodated me in trying out firearms there. And whenever I have a firearms question, Aris is more than willing to answer my call. But sometimes he's not in and that kinda annoys me, if you know what I mean. lol

I've also been to Bullseye in San Rafael, Canyon Sports in Martinez and Diablo Valley Gun Works in Pleasant Hill. I've had only good experiences at these places. The men have never talked down to me or not answered my questions, and have always been willing to show me whatever pistol I was interested in gripping. I called that gun shop in Vacaville once or twice and maybe J&R in Livermore once or twice as well, and each time the guys answering the phone were pleasant, helpful and willing to check their inventory for me.

Honestly I do not understand why some women feel they are mistreated at gun shops. But then again, I've learned not to take offense at the things some men do and say because I usually know what I want and I don't let stupid people bother me. For when I ask a question, I usually already know the answer. What I'm looking for is honesty and sincerity, as well as a good deal, and if I don't get any of that, well, then no sale.

rimfire17
06-25-2009, 7:32 PM
[QUOTE=ChibiPaw;2640638]
Andreotti. He's not ignoring you, he's is ignoring everyone. Equal opportunity grumpy old guy. jumped on OLL band wagon quite late. Sells featureless BB set up. :shrug:

Oh, you're right here! Andreotti's is just a cranky, stinky hole in the wall where no one who isn't one of his pals gets noticed.

mig4444
06-26-2009, 6:02 PM
you might also want to check out nicks gun works theres a lady there that knows her stuff too and there all very nice good people to deal with..
just picked up my rockisland 38 super from them and they gave me excellent service..

jnojr
06-27-2009, 2:21 PM
I'll start with the Bay Area. J&R in Livermore is friendly. Sportsmen Supply in Campbell is also a winner. Avoid Castro Valley like the plague. The owner (seldom there) is a good sort, but one of the guys he has working there is a jerk. He treats nearly anyone who isn't a regular like they've got a disease. He's especially unfriendly to women and minorities.

Write a letter to the owner.

kajvid
06-27-2009, 2:36 PM
Howdy Ladies-

My girl is not a member here but I'll chime in with her report. She gets the "Little Lady" treatment a lot. She is a grad of Tactical Handgun Phase III (her 4th class after taking Level II twice to feel like she had a better grasp of those tactics) at WTS in Jamestown.

Irvington Arms. The BEST! They treat everyone the same. She has bought and transferred there and says she never feels "Talked down to". Lisa says; "If I was taking a friend to buy her first gun it would be at Irvington. I would make my recommendations and then turn her over to their expertise!"

Old West Gun Room. A lot of people complain about the old dude running the place but Lisa reports nothing but respect from him and said "He seems figure you out real fast". No problems.

Triple A's in Vallejo; Not great. She was there to meet someone to do a PPT. She showed up first and while waiting they crapped on the gun she was buying and the price she was paying. They kept trying to tell her what was "Too much gun" for her (her regular firearm is a 4" Kimber 1911 .45acp). When the other party showed up the guys in the guys in the shop knew him and changed their tune! She hated the whole experience there.

She loved Trader's in San Leandro but they are out of the gun biz.

rimfire17
06-29-2009, 6:32 PM
Write a letter to the owner.

I did and he assured me the problem was taken care of. So I checked back in the other day. The same misogynistic bigot is working there. So I'm going to write another letter.

Anyone who says that it's always "open season on pigs and n***ers" shouldn't be working there anymore. This isn't being "politically incorrect; it's downright inflammatory. If you knew the guy it was said to, you'd be freaking pissed off, too. CM is one of the nicest, most mellow, gentlemen I know and a damned fine range safety officer, too.

I might have been able to pass on being treated like some nitwit female, but advocating killing people because of their race is beyond the pale.

Vectrexer
06-29-2009, 7:42 PM
I sent my wife over to City Arms in Pacifica.

Took her test to get her Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC).
Did the paperwork for the pistol she now owns.

I did not go with her. She came back with a smile and a good story.

You can't attain a better review of a gun shop than the return of a happy wife. Err yeah, that could read a little weird. Let's just say she had a good experience.

I'll echo the comment about Irvington Arms. The few times I was there were women customers present. Treated as well as anyone in the store as far as I could tell.

Cowtown44
06-29-2009, 9:41 PM
Guns, Ammo and Other stuff in Vacaville seems to do a pretty good job. I see lots of women purchasing guns upstairs and they seem to be treated pretty well.

randy
06-30-2009, 3:09 AM
In Los Angeles/ So Cal Oaktree Gun Club. They'll take all the time you need so you can make an informed decision.

Werewolf1021
06-30-2009, 5:35 AM
you might also want to check out nicks gun works theres a lady there that knows her stuff too and there all very nice good people to deal with..
just picked up my rockisland 38 super from them and they gave me excellent service..

+1 on that. They are extremely helpful and willing to go the extra mile. My mom did business with them on my behalf since I was down in SLO and she had nothing bad to say about them.

Edit:They are in Lodi by the way.

TA1911A1
07-03-2009, 8:54 AM
Ladies,

Don't waste your time at Wild Sports in Orangevale. I give their treatment of my wife who was attempting to do a PPT on her 1911 a big F. The manager at the counter was demeaning and really put a negative aspect to my wife's first actual purchase of a pistol. I have purchased several guns from them over the years without issue but, when my cute little blond wife wants to have them do a PPT for her 1911, they have nothing but attitude. We wouldn't purchase anything from them ever again even if they were the last gun store left in Northern Kalifornia.

They have lost a customer.

WyldWendy
07-05-2009, 3:20 PM
I've been to Grant Boys in Costa Mesa and found them to be nice and friendly, there is some females that work there, but mainly in the camping ad clothing areas.

missiondude
07-05-2009, 4:05 PM
My wife and I shoot regularly at Iron Sights in Oceanside. No problems at all ever. All the staff is always professional every time. They even have ladies night with free range time. I believe it is tuesday after 6:00 PM

WyldWendy
07-07-2009, 6:39 PM
My wife and I shoot regularly at Iron Sights in Oceanside. No problems at all ever. All the staff is always professional every time. They even have ladies night with free range time. I believe it is tuesday after 6:00 PM

They did or do have a female employee as well. I shot there a few times with a Marine I used to date.

missiondude
07-07-2009, 6:52 PM
They did or do have a female employee as well. I shot there a few times with a Marine I used to date.

Yes they do, one of them seems to run the place when she is there. Female employees do not gurantee a female friendly range/shop, but in this case as I said, all the employees have been professional to everyone any time I have been there.

gregshin
07-07-2009, 8:08 PM
in socal independent armament in san fernando will do you right

bombadillo
07-07-2009, 8:46 PM
Its kind of a sad world that this even has to be posted but unfortunately the ignorance of my sex is that way. I have a few stories of first time women shooters out gunning the guy "teaching" them. You'd figure that they'd love to see a lady in there buying guns and knowing what she's doing. It is just such a male dominated sport that women tend to get neglected as dainty girls that don't know what to do. They should invite all women in just to keep it from being such a sausage fest in their shop.

cedew
07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules here, but just wanted to comment...

I went into a store yesterday (big5 - davis) to buy some 12ga shells, and the lady behind the counter knew waaay more than I did, she might have even been a little condescending at first. I didn't mind though, I was just happy to get some information from her. We chatted it up for a few minutes, super cool gal.

Separate subject, I've been riding motocross for over twenty years, and this young woman is just amazing, Ashley Fiolek. She's deaf and has an amazing connection with her motorcycle, she shifts by feel, no indicators, just an awesome athlete.

Video of her ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_UarCpHV0M

Anyways, I think her name is Linda, very knowledgeable, I would add the store to the female friendly list. Unfortunately, they don't have much stuff. :(

Musclemom
07-29-2009, 9:42 AM
I've always had good service at Alquist Arms in Turlock. Friendly knowledgeable bunch and they usually have the best selection of stuff in stock in the valley. They can be busy at times and it's a small place, so you just have to be patient on those days, or come back at a better time. But on the slow days nearly everyone there has taken time to chat guns and never once assumed I didn't know what I was talking about.

Not so much of a great experience with Barnwood in Ripon. They've always kind of treated me with an elitist attitude, but the same goes for their treatment of hubby. When I'm there alone there is NO service without really having to work for it, and if a man walks in the door, that service is immediately directed toward him. Using their range alone one day was a pain too. They kept asking me what I wanted to rent and I kept telling the guy I had 2 guns in my locked case. Then they kept grilling me over hearing & eye protection, targets, ammo etc. This never happened when I was there with my husband. Neither of us has been back in about a year.

johnny_22
07-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I did and he assured me the problem was taken care of. So I checked back in the other day. The same misogynistic bigot is working there. So I'm going to write another letter.

Anyone who says that it's always "open season on pigs and n***ers" shouldn't be working there anymore. This isn't being "politically incorrect; it's downright inflammatory. If you knew the guy it was said to, you'd be freaking pissed off, too. CM is one of the nicest, most mellow, gentlemen I know and a damned fine range safety officer, too.

I might have been able to pass on being treated like some nitwit female, but advocating killing people because of their race is beyond the pale.

My wife and I stopped in the CVGS last month. We got to listen to the foulest language coming from the back. I thought, "oh, he'll stop after a while". No, it just went on and on. Meanwhile, at the front counter, we could not get the counter guy's attention. Finally left. Hope there is a change.

Squawfish
07-29-2009, 11:45 PM
I think the service in gun shops in general isn't all that great.

That said, my wife and I have been looking for a gun for her for a few months now and when we get help, Bass Pro has been good. However, there is one guy at "Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff" in Fairfield that is fantastic. Their range service is bad, but the guys upstairs in the shop are helpful, friendly, and honest. They really like the XD's and push them like crazy, but when my wife said she wasn't interested in an auto, they backed off and gave their opinions (to her, not me while I was standing next to her) about the revolvers she was looking at. I highly recommend Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff.

mosinnagantm9130
07-30-2009, 1:28 AM
I know I am way up here, but like I have said millions of times before and its even in my signature, but the guys at River City Gun Echange are great. When my wife went in to buy a Kimber 1911, Paul took his time to answer all her questions, there was no push to sell her a gun at the time. He must have shown here about 8-9 guns before they settled on the Kimber.

I have also been in there many of times and have watched other employees take the time to answer all questions and not hesitate to let a female hold a firearm to make sure thats what they really wanted.

+1. When I bought my enfield from them, there was a lady buying her first handgun. I overheard some of the conversation and it was female friendly.

nagorb
07-30-2009, 1:38 AM
cityarms in Pacific

hawk81
08-07-2009, 9:28 PM
Annie's get your gun in Corona, is a female friendly gun store. The owners wife works the gun counter with her husband.

asnlady
08-18-2009, 4:14 PM
I've had lots of luck at gunnrunners duarte. I knew exactly what I wanted, though and didnt have to sit and chat too long.

hawk1547
08-25-2009, 3:26 PM
Annie's get your gun in Corona, is a female friendly gun store. The owners wife works the gun counter with her husband.

+1...I would also recommend Bright Spot Pawn at Riverside.

LadyShooter
08-27-2009, 9:24 AM
Bullseye in Marin is great. Circle S gun range, also in Marin, yells at everyone indiscrimanently, lol.

rangebee
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I've been an 'outdoorsy' girl all my life (except for those twentysomething years where I was chasing young fun). Our family owned farms in the Fresno area and grew up shooting my dad's guns (pistols/rifles)- targeting fruit and vegetables in the line-up was common summer fun.
As a thirty-something adult- I have found myself returning to my roots... Living in So Cal, my experiences are limited to the few shops that I've been to:

Best experience:
-Insight Shooting Range, Artesia- These guys are nice, informative, and always available to me from the first time I stepped foot inside. Grreat guys and space.

Good Experiences:
- Turners in Long Beach- Nice crew and i believe a lady works there too. No BS and always friendly... (there is 1 know it all that has been there in the past, but even the employees roll their eyes at him)
- Turners in OC- Only been here once and was treated with respect and good service.
- Ades in OC- Friendly and to the point folks... not as "browser" friendly (it's a small shop), but they are available and informative.
- Shooters Paradise, Oxnard- Nice folks, but incredibly expensive (ammo and pistols). Good selection of gear (Military base is nearby) and very informative! $30 for a box of PMC FMJ .380 acp is a bit much... but they DO have it in stock.
- Fowlers, OC- Nice folks, plenty of staff to help you out. In here, you have to ask for what you want. They'll say "Hi" when you walk in, but after that your on your own until you initiate a need. BUT, once initiated, they'll do loads to help you out.

I plan on getting out to other shops and ranges and will update accordingly.

RBee

8-Ball
09-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Interesting topic...

Reminds me of when I go into Victoria's Secret. The women there just assume I know nothing of bras (of course, they would be right). But the point is that their first question might be what my experience level is with bras regardless of my gender...

Regarding gun shops, I had the opposite problem. After Katrina, my wife decided we needed to look into getting a gun for protection so I started my research. I hadn't had a gun since my early 20's and never a semi-automatic.

The guys in the gun shop assumed, possibly due to gender, that I wanted a semi, but I wasn't comfortable with them, the safeties, clearing jams, etc. I just wanted reliability and for it to go bang when I pulled the trigger regardless of my maintenance rituals or lack thereof... I had to back them off and insist on a revolver.

I look at experience being the determining factor on handgun format regardless of gender. My wife loves to shoot the XD, but can "handle" the J-frame. That is the reality at this point so that is her go to gun. I've become comfortable with both now and I'm sure she will get there. We go to the range together and practice. She has yet to demonstrate that she can rack the slide effectively (not sure if it is strength, technique, or interest level). I don't tell her what she can shoot, but observe and comment. We plan to do some training soon. If the need arose, it would be her call as to what to grab.

I notice that when I walk into a gun shop wearing crocs as opposed to tactical combat boots, that the salespeople tend to continue their corner conversations... just sayin'...

movie zombie
09-02-2009, 9:02 PM
the sign of the liberal devil: crocs!

mz

GraveTrain
09-02-2009, 11:52 PM
+100 Bullseye Precision Indoor Range, San Rafael.

Took my 12 y/o daughter there for her first time shooting. Every member of the staff were gentlemen at all times, attentive, and very accommodating. There were two other women there shooting and they were treated like every male customer in the shop.... with the utmost respect.

Bought my pistol from them and plan to buy others. Their level of service has earned a customer for life. Great bunch of guys.

UrbanFool
10-15-2009, 9:52 AM
I can recommend Jones' Fort in Redding.

Am I too big of a hillbilly if I don't know what croc's are?

gsbaum
10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Mike and Patrick at OC Armory in Laguna Hills are "female friendly", and not in a weird way, either!

TurnersGunslinger
10-26-2009, 9:34 PM
Im not a lady so I am sorry if I am intruding but I am the Store Manager at West Covina Turners and I will ensure that my store is very friendly and considerate to all sex's, pro's and novices alike. Give us a shot!

redneckshootist
10-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Irvington hands down. I walked in there one day, full on sweet lolita. Bunny ears and all and bought a gun. Never an issue with them giving you to real 411, and the respect a paying customer expects.

Bullseye, a popular place for those who not so season. You can try out many things from the rental selection.

Castro Valley has two gun shops. First one is the Castro Valley gunshop, now has been acquired by Bullseyes. My experienced was just post acquisition. Walked in there same day as I visited Irvington. They didn't treat me seriously, and gave me FUD about OLL. The business went to Irvington that day.

J&R. Friendly place to shop, good all around. Too bad it's far from me.

Triple A. Arias is the owner. He's good guy, get to know him. Lots of evil stuff to sell, and about the only place that sells evil AK's up in the northbay.

you can add Norse Armory in Woodland to that list of female friendly shops;)
after all chibipaw is the general manager :43:

Sportsmans_Arms_Gabe
11-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma. My wife and I own it...she's definitely as outgoing as I am and the women that come in here always call us back thanking us for making them feel comfortable.

Anyone that doesn't cater to the women in this business is truly losing out...most of our best customers are females!

JaMail
11-04-2009, 5:56 PM
ive watched the way the guys at signal hill turners treat women and they are cool, they are also EBR friendly.

if you really want to get some reveiws going, use yelp, im all about the yelp experience.

mmartin
11-04-2009, 8:14 PM
iron sights in oceanside is female-owned and there are a LOT of women shooters in there. the setup is kind of industrial, but the respect and attitude is right.
megan

KylaGWolf
11-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Here in San Diego I have gotten good service at both California Police Equipment and Discount Gun Mart. I refuse to do business with American Shooting Center after the way I was treated by one of the employees. I have had no problems with South California Gun but others have had issues with them (male). Big 5 blew me off but then again that seems to be the store in general and not just the gun section.

NorCalMama
11-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I actually had a great experience at The Gun Room in Elk Grove. The guys in there were really helpful and treated both my husband and I the same. And the man at their range was really helpful without treaty me like a "little lady"...

JaMail
11-25-2009, 11:53 AM
depends on what your buying, most EBR sellers are cool with women, if your looking for a handgun, go to Turners, ive watched how they treat women and seem really cool.

MsJamie
12-27-2009, 10:38 PM
I've been around the south SF Bay area shops over the past few years, and my experiences have been mixed.

Gun Vault (Sunnyvale) - Between home and work. I stop in once a month or so to see if they have any 7.62x54R surplus in stock (never do; always "sold out and on order"). I check the used rack, and spend a few minutes chatting with the people there. Wish they carried magazines (the printed kind); would give me more reason to spend $ there. Never felt put down.

Reed's: Mixed. Never a problem at the range; went regularly when Ladies' Night meant I only had to pay for ammo. The shop in SJ was a different story. Largely ignored, and pretty much blown off when I had questions about specific handguns. Was actually laughed at when I asked if they carried Hi-Point.

Kerley's (Cupertino) - Depends on who's there. Ranged from completely ignored (not even a hello) to very helpful.

The bottom line is that it really depends on who's working at a given place when you walk in.

mswanson223
12-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Why would gender matter in the sale of a firearm? Whatever some people are A-holes.

Sportsmans_Arms_Gabe
12-30-2009, 4:33 PM
^I've seen it first hand. That's why I've always paid attention exactly to whom the gun is for and never treat women as if they don't enjoy guns just as much as males. It's plain foolish to think otherwise.

gunace89
12-30-2009, 8:13 PM
Why would gender matter in the sale of a firearm? Whatever some people are A-holes.

Some people are A-holes, its unfortunate, but true. Ive seen some men behind the counter treat women with the utmost respect, with that being said ive seen others act like jovenists, and others just hit on them. As a guy it makes me mad, I feel like saying to them, "they are buying your product, shut up and be polite." or "she's not hitting on you back, she obviously thinks your ugly.":D

AGrey
12-30-2009, 8:36 PM
For those of you who live in San Diego, Wholesale Guns is a great female friendly store. Its a small mom and pop type store located in Santee. Sheri and James own and work there. Everytime I've been in there I've dealt soley with Sheri. She is fantastic to deal with. Great prices too. Infact, both of my 2009 purchases has been through Sheri.

7.62x54R
12-30-2009, 10:18 PM
I recommend T&A Armory i have been there many times and i have never seen them treat any customers unfairly since i have noticed they have alot of new gun owners. I think any female gun buyers should put them on the list when searching for a new hand gun or AR15.

http://www.tandaarmory.com/

3boyzmom
01-09-2010, 7:44 PM
I have bought all of my guns at The Gun Trader in Reno. I know this isn't convenient for some of you, but for many of you NorCal people, it's not too far. They have always treated me with respect, and I didn't get any of that "maybe you ought to buy a .22" crap you sometimes get other places. One of the owners is female too. She helped me pick out a holster that works really well for me.
I always thought a smaller shop couldn't compete price-wise with the 2 "larger stores" in Reno, but I was SHOCKED when I walked into Cabela's and they had my M&P 9mm priced $175 dollars more than what I paid at The Gun Trader! :eek:

yacqueli
01-18-2010, 1:07 AM
As a thirty-something adult- I have found myself returning to my roots... Living in So Cal, my experiences are limited to the few shops that I've been to:

Best experience:
-Insight Shooting Range, Artesia- These guys are nice, informative, and always available to me from the first time I stepped foot inside. Grreat guys and space.

Good Experiences:
- Turners in Long Beach- Nice crew and i believe a lady works there too. No BS and always friendly... (there is 1 know it all that has been there in the past, but even the employees roll their eyes at him)
- Turners in OC- Only been here once and was treated with respect and good service.
- Ades in OC- Friendly and to the point folks... not as "browser" friendly (it's a small shop), but they are available and informative.
- Shooters Paradise, Oxnard- Nice folks, but incredibly expensive (ammo and pistols). Good selection of gear (Military base is nearby) and very informative! $30 for a box of PMC FMJ .380 acp is a bit much... but they DO have it in stock.
- Fowlers, OC- Nice folks, plenty of staff to help you out. In here, you have to ask for what you want. They'll say "Hi" when you walk in, but after that your on your own until you initiate a need. BUT, once initiated, they'll do loads to help you out.

I plan on getting out to other shops and ranges and will update accordingly.

RBee

I can agree with a LOT in this post. I love going to Insight to shoot indoors and the staff are usually very friendly.

I just went to the Turners in Signal Hill for the first time a couple of weeks back and was extremely (and pleasantly) surprised by the firearm selection and the kindness of the staff there. Although my favorite Turners is the one on Tustin in Orange, the one in Fountain Valley is good as far as I can tell with service but lack a little in the firearm department.

I haven't been to Shooter's paradise, but I have been to Ade's which I can agree on; although at Fowler Gun Room, I think maybe because I am a younger female, I feel as though they were sort of wondering why I was there even though I was just browsing.

To add another OC store, Stockade in Westminster, has a large selection and helpful staff but I also feel like I'm being watched a bit suspiciously in there.

I need to start going in to stores more by myself to get a better grasp of the atmosphere, but for the most part I've had good experiences.

Also, I love going to Lytle Creek Shooting range. The staff there is so incredibly nice and they keep conversations casual and fun a majority of the time.

Hope my first post was helpful!:D

yacqueli
01-18-2010, 2:25 AM
And to add to the above, I almost forgot about Ammo Brothers by the 91 and 605 intersection. They have a lot of accommodating staff that are very friendly and eager to help. You have to be let in, like at Ade's; and the store is always kept extremely organized.

delisle
01-29-2010, 7:53 AM
Ade's gun shop is owned by a woman.

It is owned by a woman, but it really doesnt matter. I took my wife in there three days ago and had the WORST experience in there with an employee named Pat. When we walked in and started talking about the PPT with him he was immediately smug and incredulous about my little blond wife wanting to buy a .45 ACP revolver. She was mad as hell! My wife is a shooter and scary good shot at that. I wanted to find her the perfect pistol for her to have as HD. Ades gun shop is the most un-female friendly store. After the ten day wait period is over I am going to have a sit down and talk with this Pat character and the owner.

Stay awway from Ades Gun Shop in Orange CA!

dragonfli415
02-05-2010, 4:56 PM
High Bridge in San Bruno

360 El Camino Real
San Bruno, CA 94066
650 588 8886

a female works there too

six10
02-06-2010, 4:36 AM
UG Imports in Fremont. Specialty line of firearms and by appointment only, but the owner is a great guy to deal with: efficient, smart, personable, and he does FFL transfers for half what other bay area dealers charge. PPT, too. And UG Imports is a member of Calguns.

http://www.ugimports.com/shop/

Rotting
02-06-2010, 5:33 PM
For the ladies in the Pasadena-ish area, I highly recommend Bain and Davis in San Gabriel. My wife bought her first gun there (Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm), and the older gentleman (Dave, I believe?) was OUTSTANDING in helping her and answering her questions. He did not condescend or make her feel stupid for not knowing everything about the gun, ammo, maintenance, etc. It's as if he really wanted a happy, returning customer that was satisfied with her purchase and experience in his shop!

Highly recommended, top-notch.

Purdue
02-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Independence Armory in Petaluma is very welcoming. Sales and gunsmithing in one shop. Very friendly, low key, and if you like AR's you will enjoy going here.

BroncoBob
02-12-2010, 9:21 PM
Come on out to Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy on Saturday 2/27/10 for our grand opening

AwakeAware1016
03-02-2010, 11:56 PM

And no I do not work for them or get any special treatment for mentioning them, I do it because out of all the guns I have purchased through them and all the guns I just fondled while at their store, I have always recieved great service.

I witnessed the same service, Ijust purchased my first OL Rifle and the day I went pick it up, there was a lady speaking with one of the salesmen and she was explaining how she has had some young men harrasing her after she gets home for work. He was very respectful, helpful, and knowledgable, and she purchased a S&W .357 revolver that day. She mentioned to me that she had been there three times trying to decide what gun and also whether or not to get it at all. The salesman also reccomended some training classes and the range in ELK Grove to rent a couple and see how they feel. And no I do not work for them either. Just a fan.