View Full Version : Is this story too much like a Michael Connelly/Harry Bosch "Cold Case" story?

06-09-2009, 6:01 AM
A 23-year-old murder gets solved by LAPD:
As part of an ongoing effort to solve thousands of old homicides, detectives revisited the case in February, testing blood or saliva samples from the crime scene thought to have been from the killer. DNA tests suggested that the attacker was a woman, contradicting the detectives' theory that she had been killed by a man. The cold-case detectives contacted [Neil] Rasmussen and asked if he knew of any women with whom his daughter might have clashed. Rasmussen once again voiced his theory about [Stephanie] Lazarus. This time detectives looked into it.

An undercover officer followed Lazarus to a store, where he secretly recovered a plastic utensil or similar discarded item with her saliva, police sources say.

The DNA extracted from the saliva matched the DNA evidence from the murder scene, police say.

The twist? Lazarus is an LA cop.

The rest of the story is here (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-detective-murder9-2009jun09,0,5694957.column).

Since DNA evidence points to this LAPD detective, is her guilt incontrovertible?

At least no man was convicted in her stead and is currently serving an undeserved sentence.

06-09-2009, 2:27 PM
My guess is they have a pretty tight case on her to go that public. Wouldn't want to be her.

06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Some more info from LAPD published by the LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-detective-arrest13-2009jun13,0,786537.column):
A highly secretive four-month investigation ensued in which an undercover officer followed Lazarus as she did errands and collected a utensil or cup she had discarded. Lazarus' DNA profile extracted from the saliva on the object matched DNA evidence from the crime scene, police allege.

On the day of her arrest, Lazarus was lured from her third-floor desk to the jail at LAPD's downtown headquarters under the ruse that a suspect had information to share with her. She is being held without bail.

LAPD got her cold.