PDA

View Full Version : Western States Police & Fire Games

Jonathan Doe
06-08-2009, 7:03 PM
Anyone participating in the games? I will be shooting high power rifle and smallbore matches. It will be nice to see some fellow Calgunner LEO's at the matches.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/SpringfieldM1A2Small.jpg
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/5topgun/MatchRiflesSmall-1.jpg

SVT-40
06-08-2009, 7:29 PM
Nice looking rifles, especially the Anchutz!! Where are the games taking place.

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 8:06 PM
Beautiful rifles. Maybe when I get my Garand I'll try it next year. Getting one from the CMP in a few months. Hopefully it will be a good shooter.

Jonathan Doe
06-09-2009, 5:16 AM
High power rifle is at Desert Marksman Club in Palmdale and the smallbore rifle is at the LASD Wayside range (DEA range).

SoCalDep
06-09-2009, 7:15 AM
I'm shooting action pistol. We had grand plans for extensive and frequent practice sessions. Of course, all four of us are on the same shift with different days off and live in different directions so or practice has been minimal. I think we'll be doing it to see how it is and have fun. Plus it gives everyone else someone to beat.

And who knows, maybe our ragtag band of desert misfits will actually do well...

Ron-Solo
06-09-2009, 7:32 AM
Anyone besides me miss the old LASD Charity Shootout that used to be held at Wayside at the traditional "High Noon" ?

fullrearview
06-09-2009, 8:45 AM
I was gonna go down with our basketball team, but I am too new and can't get the time off.

Next year I might do baseball and pistols, depending on where it will be.

yzernie
06-09-2009, 9:44 AM
I started my boycott of the games when they allowed the Hose Draggers to become involved in the Police Olympics. :D

Jonathan Doe
06-09-2009, 2:00 PM
Anyone besides me miss the old LASD Charity Shootout that used to be held at Wayside at the traditional "High Noon" ?

I used to work that event as a range officer when I worked at the range as an instructor. They had good burgers and hot dogs. And it was a fun event.

And I practiced a few times for action pistol events back in early 90's, but driving from San Fernando Valley to Lake Elsinor for a practice was no fun event. So, I concentrated on rifle events only.

Fjold
06-09-2009, 3:44 PM
Boarding Team Leader always competes in the smallbore and high power rifle events.

EDIT: My mistake, B-T-L only competes in the firefighter olympics

retired
06-09-2009, 4:16 PM
I started my boycott of the games when they allowed the Hose Draggers to become involved in the Police Olympics. :D

Shhh; did you forget you can't call it the Police Olympics.;) The "real" Olympic committee will come after you. Only the Special Olympics can get by using that name as it wouldn't be PC to go after that group.

I know they have been asking for volunteers from us retirees and I'd like to, but I live just too far away to drive back to L.A. County and help out.

I used to compete in racquetball in the 80s and 90s, before my back finally did me in.:(

yzernie
06-09-2009, 4:40 PM
You're right...I meant to say the Police Summer Games.

Jonathan Doe
06-09-2009, 4:57 PM
You're right...I meant to say the Police Summer Games.

No, No and NO, It is now Western States Police & Fire Games. They changed it to Police and Fire Games in late 90's and changed to WSPFG maybe couple of years ago. At least they may have different medals. I was kind of tired of receiving the same looking medals for a few years in a row.

hill billy
06-14-2009, 6:05 PM
I was there today collecting your scorecards. You had some nice guns. :D

Fire in the Hole
06-14-2009, 7:20 PM
Guess I'm kind of out of the loop. I use to shoot revolver in the Police Olympics. And shot revolvers in the California Combat League. Does that even exist any more? Last time I shot in the Police Olympics was in Modesto. So forgive me. It's no longer called the Police Oylmpics? I did not know that. I remember that the US Olympic Committe did sue the CA Police Olympics over a copyright infringement of their logo because we just inserted locked handcuffs to make the 4 circles of the licensed logo.

retired
06-14-2009, 7:26 PM
Yep, they changed that sometime back, tho I don't know the exact year. As I said, only the Special Olympics AFAIK, can still use that word. No way in you know what will the Olympic Committee go after the Special Olympics.:rolleyes:

Jonathan Doe
06-14-2009, 9:27 PM
I just won individual silver medal in Master class and bronze medal in team for the high power service rifle match at the Desert Marksman Range in Palmdale. About 70 shooters. Tomorrow is the small bore rifle event. I will see what happens.

Triad
06-15-2009, 7:43 AM
Skeet and Trap here.

Fire in the Hole
06-15-2009, 8:55 AM
Congratulations guys! That's great. My last participation pretty much let me know that I was now so outclassed, that I had no business being there. More likely qualified for the "Police Special Olympics."

hill billy
06-15-2009, 8:56 AM
There were a lot of first time shooters there yesterday, I thought that was cool.

retired
06-15-2009, 9:57 PM
Congratulations topgun7! Good shooting!

Question for you tho; doesn't master mean you are in the old age class.:D

Jonathan Doe
06-16-2009, 4:38 PM
Congratulations topgun7! Good shooting!

Question for you tho; doesn't master mean you are in the old age class.:D

"Master" in shooting event is a skill level. Ha! :D

I also won 2 Gold medals in smallbore 3 positions unclassified individual and team event. I guess I didn't do too bad shooting for the first time in 9 years. But, I discovered that I am not the man I used to be in 2000. Need to modify my position a little and practice more.:)

retired
06-16-2009, 4:45 PM
Congrats on the gold medals also. I was just pulling your chain on the age thing of course. I thought it was set up like it was in racquetball, but evidently not.

The had novice, open (the best), senior and masters. The last two, IIRC, were age dependent, so I figured that carried thru for all sport competition.

Just think of how many more medals you would have won if you had practiced more! You would have really embarrassed the new kids.;)

Jonathan Doe
06-16-2009, 5:08 PM
The next year's game is in Reno. I am trying to put a team together now and practice for it. Maybe we will have better results next year.:cool:

fullrearview
06-16-2009, 9:02 PM
I am def, going to reno....Closer, and family has a condo up there! :thumbsup:

NorCal MedTac
06-18-2009, 8:08 AM
A few years back I played paintball in the games when they were held in Stockton. What a great time that was.

gose
06-18-2009, 8:14 AM
Wish I could attend the PPC event, since that used to be my main event. Not worth joining a PD for though...
Darn, checked the scores from last year and now I really want to attend ;)

SoCalDep
06-18-2009, 4:55 PM
Well...Just got back from the action pistol team shoot/bbq/awards ceremony.

We had a great time and are already planning for Reno. Maybe this time we'll actually practice. I choked a bit on the team stages, but I finished better than I thought I would in the individual. I also got my short trigger put in my P226R for free, my used P229R got a free detail-strip/spring/pin replace and cleaning, and I won the full 8 DVD Thunder Ranch training set from the prize table!

Overall it was worth it, was great fun, and I'm really looking forward to next year!

(P.S...Most of us got KILLED by a "hose dragger"...Thankfully we had the ultimate match winner shooting on our squad or he'd have put us all to shame!

MKT
06-18-2009, 8:31 PM
Guess I'm kind of out of the loop. I use to shoot revolver in the Police Olympics. And shot revolvers in the California Combat League. Does that even exist any more? Last time I shot in the Police Olympics was in Modesto. So forgive me. It's no longer called the Police Oylmpics? I did not know that. I remember that the US Olympic Committe did sue the CA Police Olympics over a copyright infringement of their logo because we just inserted locked handcuffs to make the 4 circles of the licensed logo.

The CCA became the CPPA (California Police Pistol Assoc.), not sure when as it was CPPA when I started playing this game. I'm sitting in a motel in Santa Clarita tonight, prepping for the PPC and distinguished match tomorrow. It has been a couple years since I've shot the Games (last games I shot were in Stockton in '02 IIRC) and I'm looking forward to it. I'd surely love to hang a few more medals at my desk for the FNG's to ogle :D.

Good job on the medals topgun.

Jonathan Doe
06-18-2009, 8:56 PM
Whether you win a medal or not, the police and fire games is a good place to meet new friends. This was my first match since 2000, but many people remembered me, and I was glad to meet them again. If not for anything else, it is a good social event. Winning a medal is even better.:D

MKT
06-20-2009, 7:59 PM
Whether you win a medal or not, the police and fire games is a good place to meet new friends. This was my first match since 2000, but many people remembered me, and I was glad to meet them again. If not for anything else, it is a good social event. Winning a medal is even better.:D

You're absolutely correct topgun, its all aboutmeeting new folks (read: shooters) and making new friends and contacts. There was even a San Francisco team shooting PPC, I don't ever remember seeing/meeting anyone from SFPD before. The wife and I had a chance to shoot the bull with them for about an hour before they lit out for San Francisco yesterday. I'm hoping they'll join up with the CPPA and start shooting regularly. All four of them had never tried PPC before this weekend and they really seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then to make it all the better, my team mates and I held it together for a gold in the team match and I pulled a silver in the distinguished auto.

Jonathan Doe
06-20-2009, 9:02 PM
You're absolutely correct topgun, its all aboutmeeting new folks (read: shooters) and making new friends and contacts. There was even a San Francisco team shooting PPC, I don't ever remember seeing/meeting anyone from SFPD before. The wife and I had a chance to shoot the bull with them for about an hour before they lit out for San Francisco yesterday. I'm hoping they'll join up with the CPPA and start shooting regularly. All four of them had never tried PPC before this weekend and they really seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then to make it all the better, my team mates and I held it together for a gold in the team match and I pulled a silver in the distinguished auto.

Congratulations. There were SFPD guys for high power rifle and small bore rifle matches also. I wonder if they are the same guys.

MKT
06-20-2009, 9:10 PM
Congratulations. There were SFPD guys for high power rifle and small bore rifle matches also. I wonder if they are the same guys.

I believe they were. These four said they'd shot the high power and something else, possibly small bore. I thought it great that SFPD was represented in the shooting sports.

Jonathan Doe
06-21-2009, 3:13 PM
I missed a lot of peple I used to shoot against in the past. I guess 9 years of absence brought many changes. Many people retired and some just didn't show up, especially good shooters from CHP Sacramento and Sac Co SD people. I hope to see them again next year in Reno.

sergeantrex
06-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Sometimes I do the half marathon road race. Over 40 Clydesdale!

gose
06-24-2009, 10:32 AM

I know of at least one guy from SFPD who used to shoot the PPC matches at Chabot, but it sounds like he wasn't part of that team.

Jonathan Doe
06-24-2009, 6:44 PM
It was good to see several new shooters from different agencies at the matches.

03-22-2010, 2:59 PM
I know it's an old dead thread, but anyone going to Reno this year?

Anyone know about specific shoot schedules?

I'll be shooting small and large bore rifle as well as the Action Pistol.

fullrearview
03-22-2010, 3:52 PM
Thinking about it....Its a short drive for me this time! I want to play some hoops, but our department will not be getting a team together....No one would be on patrol!

Jonathan Doe
03-22-2010, 4:54 PM
I know it's an old dead thread, but anyone going to Reno this year?

Anyone know about specific shoot schedules?

I'll be shooting small and large bore rifle as well as the Action Pistol.

So, you will be my competition in rifle shooting, eh? :)

I am thinking about it, but not certain at this point. I have 3 private college tuition bills coming in May. I will see how it goes.

Thinking about it....Its a short drive for me this time! I want to play some hoops, but our department will not be getting a team together....No one would be on patrol!

You have no excuse not to go if it is close to your town. :) If you don't have a team, you can request a pool team, which I did last year for the smallbore rifle.

fullrearview
03-22-2010, 9:03 PM
You have no excuse not to go if it is close to your town. :) If you don't have a team, you can request a pool team, which I did last year for the smallbore rifle.

OK. I had no idea they did that! Only my second year as a cop, and last year I had to work during the event.

Sespe
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Well, as a 'hosedragger' I feel compelled to respond. Last year in SoCal was my first P&F Olympics. I'd done pretty well at the FF ones before. But these were right next door to me (Ventura) so I had to try.
Holy Cow, it is waay more fun with multiple agencies / viewpoints. I sucked ***** in the 'practical' competition, but I don't think I've ever had more fun at an event. Everybody was there for fun. Much friendly teasing was enjoyed by all (Do you really think we sleep through lunch every day?) And I didn't embarrass myself too badly.
Reno is a bit far, but you move it back down south again and I'm coming.

retired
03-23-2010, 5:12 AM
Well, as a 'hosedragger' I feel compelled to respond. Last year in SoCal was my first P&F Olympics. I'd done pretty well at the FF ones before. But these were right next door to me (Ventura) so I had to try.
Holy Cow, it is waay more fun with multiple agencies / viewpoints. I sucked ***** in the 'practical' competition, but I don't think I've ever had more fun at an event. Everybody was there for fun. Much friendly teasing was enjoyed by all (Do you really think we sleep through lunch every day?) And I didn't embarrass myself too badly.

I was always told you guys got a recliner when you graduated from your academy. It must be true since everytime I went into a fire station in my patrol area they were there and they were all occupied.:p:D

Actually, most of us had a great relationship with the firemen in our patrol area and had free access to the station for use of the restroom, table to write our reports and if there was room, we were allowed to park our radio cars inside when raining.:thumbsup:

03-23-2010, 6:14 AM
I'm trying to get a pistol team together and need to know some more specifics about the schedule. It appears as though it is a 3 day shoot which would activate wife problems for some of my guys. Anyone know when the specific schedule info will be available or should I just write the individual organizer.

So, you will be my competition in rifle shooting, eh? Match Rifle or Service?

We need as many LE shooters at this thing as possible. It is hard for me to believe we don't get a bigger turn out than we do. If your a cop and have a gun, come on out and bring all of your friends!!!

SoCalDep
03-23-2010, 8:23 AM

Were you the one who put all us cops to shame but shot the wrong colors on that one stage? If so, you were smokin'!!!

SoCalDep
03-23-2010, 8:27 AM
I'm trying to get a pistol team together and need to know some more specifics about the schedule. It appears as though it is a 3 day shoot which would activate wife problems for some of my guys. Anyone know when the specific schedule info will be available or should I just write the individual organizer.

Match Rifle or Service?

We need as many LE shooters at this thing as possible. It is hard for me to believe we don't get a bigger turn out than we do. If your a cop and have a gun, come on out and bring all of your friends!!!

If you're talking about action pistol, there's three days because half shoot the first, half the second, then the team event on the third day. Last year they tried to set it up so that if you were from out of town, you could shoot the second and third day. I'm sure if you contact them they can make arrangements.

I wish I could go. Our team from last year was going to do it, but we're all broke and since the department killed OT, it's going to be a problem for all of us to get the time off. I'm pretty disappointed because I had a great time last year. We're already planning for Ontario next year.

Jonathan Doe
03-23-2010, 4:00 PM
Match Rifle or Service?

I shoot serivce rifle with M-1A. Only way to go. Those guys shooting match rifles are not real hard core shooters.:D

Actually, most of us had a great relationship with the firemen in our patrol area and had free access to the station for use of the restroom, table to write our reports and if there was room, we were allowed to park our radio cars inside when raining.:thumbsup:

I totally agree with it. (Station 38, 58 and 110).

desmark6
03-24-2010, 8:56 PM
I was really hoping to go shoot the action pistol but it falls on my 2 week Army reserve "summer camp" darn!!

Jonathan Doe
03-28-2010, 6:45 PM
I was really hoping to go shoot the action pistol but it falls on my 2 week Army reserve "summer camp" darn!!

It has happened to me before when I was in the USMCR.

james s
03-30-2010, 6:52 PM
"Were you the one who put all us cops to shame but shot the wrong colors on that one stage? If so, you were smokin'!!!"

SoCalDep,
Hello! That was me. It was funny, my front sight has a red fiber in it so I was thinking "I'd really like to shoot the blue plates" and when I drew the red card I brain farted and shot the blue ones anyway! Ha what a moron I am.

See you all in Reno.
\
James

Jonathan Doe
04-01-2010, 7:06 PM
I have cross fired on a wrong target before. The cross fired rounds always hit 10's and X's.

Maybe I should get some people together and train for the next year's Games.

jdsons
04-01-2010, 8:15 PM
If you're talking about action pistol, there's three days because half shoot the first, half the second, then the team event on the third day. Last year they tried to set it up so that if you were from out of town, you could shoot the second and third day. I'm sure if you contact them they can make arrangements.

I wish I could go. Our team from last year was going to do it, but we're all broke and since the department killed OT, it's going to be a problem for all of us to get the time off. I'm pretty disappointed because I had a great time last year. We're already planning for Ontario next year.

SoCalDep,
Got off the phone with the coordinators this afternoon. The only thing they can commit to is the team shoot on Monday. They will not know how the format with be until sometime in May. I wanted to know what day my individual was so I can make travel arrangements. The guy on the other end of the phone said, "just come up here for all three days." Well, like you, without O.T., and burning Comp/Vac I am trying to effient. They talked about the half day thing, but that can change. I signed up early, just so I could pick my individual day. Hope you can go. I am with an agency of 350ish and can't get a fouth, to the pool we go. Last time our pool shooter had a AD on the first team stage and we were disqualified 30 seconds into the team event. Our Captian is still pissed. See you soon.
jdsons

f250sd
04-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Its been a couple years since I've gone, but really thinking of going this year. I know it was talked about the last few times I went, about going away from the requirement on retention gear(holster and mag pouches). Anybody have any info about this?

Jonathan Doe
05-07-2010, 8:02 AM
It's been a year already since last year's Games. Anyone going this year in Reno? I cannot make it this year. My yougest is graduating high school and will be going to college this year. I will be free from next year.:)