PDA

View Full Version : How does one become an LEO?

tuna quesadilla
06-08-2009, 1:51 PM
Say I just graduated high school and I'm set to attend a community college with a major in business, hoping to eventually transfer to a university to get a bachelor's degree. What would I need to do from here if I wanted to become a law enforcement officer? Also where can I go for more information about a career in law enforcement? Thanks! :thumbsup:

imtheomegaman
06-08-2009, 1:54 PM
be born July 23 to August 22

sorry, couldn't resist

ilbob
06-08-2009, 2:03 PM
Say I just graduated high school and I'm set to attend a community college with a major in business, hoping to eventually transfer to a university to get a bachelor's degree. What would I need to do from here if I wanted to become a law enforcement officer? Also where can I go for more information about a career in law enforcement? Thanks! :thumbsup:

You might want to add some more information like what kind of cop you might want to be? There are a bunch of varieties - city, county, state, about 40 kinds of feds. There are all kinds of other governmental entities that have their own cops.

Jonathan Doe
06-08-2009, 2:55 PM
The requirement is a high school diploma, no medical problem, able to carry out the duty, not sure about criminal backbround, pass psych. Not much requirement all in recent years.

I remember back in 80's, I knew a guy who was disqualified for smoking 1 pot in high school. Now? I don't even know.

paladin4415
06-08-2009, 3:17 PM
Stay away from drugs and keep your credit in good shape. Those are two big things with most agencies. A degree, while not required, is a good thing to have. Like was asked before, what type of agency are you looking at?

SVT-40
06-08-2009, 4:26 PM
Every agency will have their own requirements. Most only require a H.S. diploma. Some require a AS or AA degree. Most federal agencys require a BA or BS degree.

The largest issue some male officers have is their writing skills. Go to Jr College and take basic english. Police reports are nothing more than short stories. If you can write well it will be one less thing to worry about.

Many agencies hire "cadets" these guys are non sworn and have not yet reached the age of 21. They carry out various tasks in the dept. It's a good way to see if you like police work. It's also good for the agency as they get to see what type worker you are. Pay is usually around $10.00 to $15.00 per hour.

Many agencys also allow cadets to ride along with officers. It's a good way to gather experience before you attend an academy.

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 8:18 PM
Continue your education and make sure your writing skills are solid. Look at the various agencies around you. Go on ride alongs to see if it is what you want and compare agencies.

Keep your background clean and your credit good. NO DRUGS ! They will only lead you to problems with your career, law enforcement or not. There are ways to have a good time without them.

Some web sites to check out: www.lasd.org and www.joinrsd.org

Good luck and make an informed decision.

tyrist
06-08-2009, 8:36 PM
Apply an don't give up...for most people it takes a long time depending on the department. Also keep yourself physically fit.

1911su16b870
06-08-2009, 8:42 PM
Apply an don't give up...for most people it takes a long time depending on the department. Also keep yourself physically fit.

+1 Desire and commitment to accomplishing that goal.

scr83jp
06-08-2009, 9:36 PM
Say I just graduated high school and I'm set to attend a community college with a major in business, hoping to eventually transfer to a university to get a bachelor's degree. What would I need to do from here if I wanted to become a law enforcement officer? Also where can I go for more information about a career in law enforcement? Thanks! :thumbsup: Instead of a business degree try administration of justice there are law enforcement majors in colleges all across the country.My degree was a BS in Wildlife Management with a minor in botany/chemistry but in the 60's departments were taking anyone with a 4 year any degree.My field was closed so a friend told me the local probation department was seeking employees so I applied thinking this was an interim job until my field opened up,I spent approx 6 yrs in NYS as a probation officer & 32 years in CA as a deputy probation officer .My salary was higher than the conservation dept employees I attended college with.

tuna quesadilla
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey guys, thanks very much for all the input! Let's see...

No drugs -- Check, I'm not into that kinda stuff
Writing skills -- You know how some parents force their kids to take piano lessons? I vividly remember being forced to go to youth-oriented writing classes at Cal State Fullerton when I was in elementary school. I shur can rite gud! :P
Good credit -- You bet!

I'm still trying to do my homework and learn about the different types of law enforcement officers. I understand there are different types of departments, such as municipal police departments, county sheriff departments, California's infamous CHP, et cetera. I need to do more research and find out which would be best for me.

Ride-alongs seem like a good idea. Can I just call up my local police department and ask if I can go on a ride-along?

Also, what effect has the recession had on this career field? I'm guessing it's a lot harder now to become an officer/deputy/patrolman/etc than it was before the recession hit.

SVT-40
06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
be born July 23 to August 22

sorry, couldn't resist

Good one!! I had to read this post twice to get it!! :smilielol5:

586L-Frame
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Here is a link to CHP's Recruitment website.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/recruiting/index.html

586L-Frame

Ron-Solo
06-09-2009, 7:40 AM
The recessin has slowed things down considerably, but many agencies are still hiring, just now as much.

Riverside County Sheriff's is hiring if you want to work in the low desert areas (Palm Desert, Indio, Blythe) and you can go to patrol straight out of the academy. If you want to work in the western county, things are kind of on hold.

With hiring slowing down, the competetion gets tougher. Be persistent and apply to as many agencies as you can. COMPARE RETIREMENT PLANS now,they are not all the same. It may seem a little early to think about that, but it is important. Some fringe law enforcement agencies such as community college police departments, special district police, hospital police,etc. may or may not be in a "Safety" system, which is REALLY IMPORTANT !

Good Luck