PDA

View Full Version : Federal Agent with AR

RolinThundr
06-08-2009, 12:29 AM
Can a Federal Agent, moving to CA for assignment (3-4 yrs but not intending to be a resident), bring his/her personal AR into CA as is or would they have to adapt it to CA legal?

mr.elite
06-08-2009, 8:41 AM
It depends on the department. Most time its ok. If your a Fed then CA legal doesn not apply.

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 8:45 AM
If it's a listed weapon, he will have to comply with the California laws just like anyone else, but if he gets a letter from his agency, he can register it as an AW when he moves here. Since many federal agencies use variants of the AR, my guess is that it wouldn't be too hard.

If it's an OLL, he could just Bullet Button it with a 10 rd mag and be good.

Or, he can store it out of State until he moves on to the next assignment.

RolinThundr
06-09-2009, 1:15 AM
If it's a listed weapon, he will have to comply with the California laws just like anyone else, but if he gets a letter from his agency, he can register it as an AW when he moves here. Since many federal agencies use variants of the AR, my guess is that it wouldn't be too hard.

If it's an OLL, he could just Bullet Button it with a 10 rd mag and be good.

Or, he can store it out of State until he moves on to the next assignment.

Would an agency provide a letter for an agent if the AR was not to be used for duty?

trendar5
06-09-2009, 2:31 AM
If you live in a state for 3-4 years, and work full-time in that state, you are a resident of that state. The AW does not have to be for "duty" i.e. on-duty use for State peace officers to get a letter and register the AW. Ask your Federal agency if they will give you such a letter. I'm guessing that some do, some don't. Might depend on who is in charge of your station/division etc.

veeklog
06-09-2009, 9:26 PM
Can a Federal Agent, moving to CA for assignment (3-4 yrs but not intending to be a resident), bring his/her personal AR into CA as is or would they have to adapt it to CA legal?

If you are lucky, Uncle Sam gives you your personal M-4 to keep and carry. It all depends on your agency; DEA gives RRA Rifles. Everyone else has true Colt M-4's, not Colt 6920.

If it an off list rifle, if you want to bring it to Cali, just put a bullet button on it.

MIB
06-10-2009, 8:08 PM

Here's the deal...if the gun is on your list, ie approved for duty, its considered Govt Property and you do not need to register. If it is your "personal" gun, you gotta register it...:(

snowdog650
06-12-2009, 1:37 PM
Would an agency provide a letter for an agent if the AR was not to be used for duty?

Yes, they would ... and do.

HotRails
06-12-2009, 2:56 PM
If you are lucky, Uncle Sam gives you your personal M-4 to keep and carry. It all depends on your agency; DEA gives RRA Rifles. Everyone else has true Colt M-4's, not Colt 6920.

If it an off list rifle, if you want to bring it to Cali, just put a bullet button on it.

Hmm. Doesnt the AWB only pertain to SA weapons only? Select fire are NFA and not under the general AW definition correct?

bootcamp
06-12-2009, 3:52 PM
If it's a duty weapon register it as an assault weapon.

If it's a personal weapon you'll have to comply with ca law.

If there is a minute chance you'll be using it as a duty weapon, definitely get it registered. You don't wanna have to tell the bad guy to "wait" and stop shooting at you while you whip out your bullet button tool and swap mags to reload like us civilians.

Remember, our OLLs are sporterized AR15s. I would never use my ar as a home defense or riot gun with a friggin bullet button. I would've emptied and dropped multiple mags with my handguns before I had the chance to "whip" out my bullet button tool for the 2nd mag.

joe schmoe
07-13-2009, 7:30 PM
Yes, they would ... and do.

It really depends on what position you're in. A Special Agent/1811 regardless of agency, I would venture to say most likely yes as I have heard of 1811's from REALLY small literally unknown agencies getting letters. CBP Officer or BoP...no