PDA

View Full Version : Legality of ammo

matrix
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM
No gun just plain ammo. Is it illegal to stash them in my car or sell them to anyone else beside my immediate family?

Ron-Solo
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
No gun just plain ammo. Is it illegal to stash them in my car or sell them to anyone else beside my immediate family?

Not yet, but there are people in Sacramento who are trying to make it that way.

If you are selling to persons who can't buy ammo, or are carrying on an unlicensed business or something like that, it is another story.

SVT-40
06-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Not yet, but there are people in Sacramento who are trying to make it that way.

If you are selling to persons who can't buy ammo, or are carrying on an unlicensed business or something like that, it is another story.

What he means is you are not supposed to sell ammo to felons, parolees or illegal aliens. There are a few others who are prohibited also, I can't recall them right now.

matrix
06-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Ah so how can you be sure that the person you sell ammo to on the Private Ammo & Reloading Sales are not criminal or felon? By the way, lets just say someone in my family decided that he know the laws better than I do and take it as his destiny to dispose of my three ammo can worth at least $500 of goodies inside. That person took all my ammo receipts and said that he had returned all the ammo back to the store and when I told him that all ammo sale are final, he proceeded to say that he got the police to come with him and the store bought it back. I know the story doesn't make sense and I bet he either hide them or threw them away. Damn I should of taken his threat seriously.

All this started because he thinks that one of these day some random police for no apparent reason will go into the house and search for ammo. He argues that police will take whoever in possession of the ammo to jail because as he put it," Why would any law abiding citizen keep ammo or gun unless they intends to commit evil deed. I explained to him that people have the right to defend themselves and their home from criminal and that the police will not arrive fast if something serious was going to happen. This person just automatically assumed that a gun is just a weapon to commit criminal acts or murder and nothing else. And get this, he said the sight me of me carrying the ammo cans even if empty is enough of a reason for the cops to stop and question me. I guess no amount of explaining will ever get thought to him.

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 8:48 AM
It is almost impossible to tell who is restricted from pruchasing ammo, which is why I never do it.

Plain and simple, it sounds like you got ripped off.

paul0660
06-08-2009, 9:03 AM
There is no law against selling ammo to felons, mental defectives, people on Restraining orders, etc. You may not sell any ammo to someone under 18 years old, and pistol ammo to anyone less than 21 years old.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12316.php

retired
06-09-2009, 5:52 PM
Matrix, why don't you contact the le agency who this family member said assisted him and verify the claim. If no such thing occurred, you might want to contact the family member and ask for the cash reimbursement for the value of your ammo.

If the person refuses and you desire to pursue this further, you can advise them if they do not do so, you will be contacting that same agency to have them take a report of grand theft. Let the family member know they will be listed as the suspect and you will also take him to small claims.

It all depends on how far you want to pursue this. Since this involves family, this may present some real difficulties. Also, I realize you wrote he took your receipts, so it would be a case of "he said, he said," but if this person realizes you are serious in following thru, he might give you the money.

No matter how you handle this particular incident, I would strongly advise that if you intend to purchase any ammo in the future, you secure it in a safe that he doesn't have access to.

Good luck.