PDA

View Full Version : Should I be concerned?

rumble phish
06-07-2009, 9:42 PM
I, like many, started to buy AR's after the Nov. elections. I had been interested in them for a while but figured that I'd have time to wait and save my pennies. When the election results were announced I immediately said "I need to by some NOW, while I can!". So the buying began. In the process of purchasing several lowers, I had friends come out of the woodwork asking if they could buy one off of me. I decided to sell a couple off then regretted that decision and purchased a few more. I started to build the rifles I wanted but the wife and I began to have disagreements on how much I was spending. So, I sold a couple more off. Now mind you, I didn't make any "profit" from these sales other than to cover shipping and DROS fee's. So now I've purchased eight lowers and sold off five of them. Some as just stripped lowers and two as complete rifles. I ended up keeping three. In the meantime I also purchased a WASR-10, decided I didn't like it and sold it off for what I had invested in it. So that makes 6 evil rifles I've sold off since last December. Keep in mind that this wasn't my intent and that I just kind of went on a buying spree that almost cost me my marriage. I've since slowed wayy down but still have one more AR to sell. Here's my question.... my FFL recently received a visit from the BATFE and was audited and all was clear. He said that the BATFE was not interested in "assault weapons" as there was no more Federal ban on them. They were primarily concerned with his record keeping procedures. Now he has an appointment with the CADOJ for an audit. I've heard that the DOJ at times will take a look at customers who have had an inordinate amount of transfers of "black rifles" and may come knocking on their door. Should I be concerned with this? I realize that there is no "limit" on how many long guns I sell, but I'm afraid they may think I've been "manufacturing" these for the sole purpose of making a profit. I have not made one red cent on these sales and in most cases I've lost a few bucks. Should I be concerned or not?

Desert_Rat
06-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I say No

SVT-40
06-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I, like many, started to buy AR's after the Nov. elections. I had been interested in them for a while but figured that I'd have time to wait and save my pennies. When the election results were announced I immediately said "I need to by some NOW, while I can!". So the buying began. In the process of purchasing several lowers, I had friends come out of the woodwork asking if they could buy one off of me. I decided to sell a couple off then regretted that decision and purchased a few more. I started to build the rifles I wanted but the wife and I began to have disagreements on how much I was spending. So, I sold a couple more off. Now mind you, I didn't make any "profit" from these sales other than to cover shipping and DROS fee's. So now I've purchased eight lowers and sold off five of them. Some as just stripped lowers and two as complete rifles. I ended up keeping three. In the meantime I also purchased a WASR-10, decided I didn't like it and sold it off for what I had invested in it. So that makes 6 evil rifles I've sold off since last December. Keep in mind that this wasn't my intent and that I just kind of went on a buying spree that almost cost me my marriage. I've since slowed wayy down but still have one more AR to sell. Here's my question.... my FFL recently received a visit from the BATFE and was audited and all was clear. He said that the BATFE was not interested in "assault weapons" as there was no more Federal ban on them. They were primarily concerned with his record keeping procedures. Now he has an appointment with the CADOJ for an audit. I've heard that the DOJ at times will take a look at customers who have had an inordinate amount of transfers of "black rifles" and may come knocking on their door. Should I be concerned with this? I realize that there is no "limit" on how many long guns I sell, but I'm afraid they may think I've been "manufacturing" these for the sole purpose of making a profit. I have not made one red cent on these sales and in most cases I've lost a few bucks. Should I be concerned or not?

Probably not. If I were you I would be sure to have all the information on who you sold the rifles or lowers to so if in the future either the BATFE or DOJ came knocking you would have all the relevant information for them. Plus you might just make a few notes about the heat given by your wife, and your financial situation also.

I hope you have receipts or copies of the DROS paperwork for the sale of the rifles or lowers. Always a good thing to keep.