PDA

View Full Version : .40 S&W Opinions

overlord
02-18-2005, 8:53 AM
There are a few different .40 S&W guns that I've been considering right now and I was wondering if anyone had shoot all (or most) of these and had an opinion. The guns up for discussion are the Sig P226 vs. HK USP vs. Glock 22/22C vs. Steyr M-A1.

I've shoot the HK and was very happy, but I own a Sig Pro 9mm that I REALLY enjoy. I have tried a Glock 21 once and was quite pleased. Just looking for any thoughts.

Thanks

overlord
02-18-2005, 8:53 AM
There are a few different .40 S&W guns that I've been considering right now and I was wondering if anyone had shoot all (or most) of these and had an opinion. The guns up for discussion are the Sig P226 vs. HK USP vs. Glock 22/22C vs. Steyr M-A1.

I've shoot the HK and was very happy, but I own a Sig Pro 9mm that I REALLY enjoy. I have tried a Glock 21 once and was quite pleased. Just looking for any thoughts.

Thanks

bwiese
02-18-2005, 9:48 AM
Love my USP40 (fullsize). Fits my fairly large hand nicely.

I've shot the SigPro in .357Sig/.40SW and they're VERY nice, esp the newer ones w/improved decocker and slide latch stampings (easier on the thumb).

Really can't go wrong either way. Of course I'm keeping my USP40 since I got some preban hicap mags for it in 1998...

Bill Wiese
San Jose

tcdrennen
02-18-2005, 5:25 PM
Try a Springfield XD in .40S&W. 5", 4" and 3" versions available, very comfortable and "ergonomic" shooters.

If they made one in .45 ACP I'd buy it (i will NOT buy a .45 GAP http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif )

andytothemax
02-20-2005, 12:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by overlord:

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recommend the .45-- either the USP .45 or the Glock 21. in these guns .40 doesn't offer anything that .45 doesn't, because the capacity limit is 10 rounds. To me the only reason to go .40 instead of .45 is higher capacity...

wheelgunner
02-21-2005, 5:51 AM
Slightly off topic.
What was there a reason that Ruger discontinued the P91?
I have one and the only thing I can fault is that you could easily install the recoil spring backwards and jam the gun, I have done it. The spring is not easy to see which end goes forward. Other than that my P91 has functioned flawlessly.

MrBubba
02-21-2005, 8:33 PM
I own the Glock and the Sig.
I like the Sig's ergonomics a bit more.
I also like the single action aspect of its
DA/SA trigger.
Reliability wise, the Glock seldom fumbles,
the Sig has occational failures to feed and extract.
For pure self-defense, I'd take the Glock,
for a range gun, I'd take the Sig.
I've never shot the other two.

Technical Ted
02-21-2005, 8:46 PM
In .40 Smith and Wesson I own an HK USP 40 Fullsize and a Walther P99.

Both are accurate enough for me.

The grip of the USP is large for my medium sized hands. The pyramid(?)cuts in the front and rear straps tenderize my hand after twenty rounds.

I prefer the ergonomic fit of the Walther.

Bongos
02-21-2005, 10:29 PM
I have the G22 and very happy with it. I've owned both sig P229 and Sigpro in 40 and for some reason it was very snappy type recoil...didn't like that much...but then again that was when 180grn was the standard. I only shoot 165grn through my G22 and the snappiness is gone with the 165grn. The USP for some reason,to me, seems too boxy and bulky. Can't say much for the Styer.

My next gun will be a G34, later possibly the G35. Glocks are very inexpensive to customize.