View Full Version : mini 14 Pro Mag problems

06-07-2009, 5:56 PM
Very dissapointed. I bought a few pro mags 10 rounders for my new mini and NONE of them feed right! I am not new at the gun game and the factory 5r worked fine, even tried them in my friends mini, no go! Totally lame, and I have a feeling that I am going to have to send them back to promag cause the place I bought them from isn't going to take them back even with a "lifetime" warrenty on them!:mad: This sucks, anyone else had issues with promag and the mini 14?

06-07-2009, 6:11 PM
Mini 14s are picky with mags.I bought mine in 94 and right away bought some hi caps they were junk.I did end up with a couple of factory ones that work good.Before the ca ban i was able to pick up some PMI mags they too work very well.

But bottom line mag selection sucks and if you find one that works buy them all.

06-08-2009, 4:48 AM
Ruger is planning to come out with factory 10 round mags.
For all information on the MINI go to www.perfectunion.com,
the source on the rifle.
+1 on PMI mags. Mine have worked very well also.

06-08-2009, 5:10 AM
I believe that Promags have plastic feed lips, and that they need to be broken in. Keep shooting with them or hand cycle the action while watching reruns of the A-Team. They should improve.

+1 for www.Perfectunion.com any thing mini14

06-08-2009, 5:39 AM
Which promag mini 14 mag did you buy. Their metal ones are actually very nice. The plastic ones are crap.

06-10-2009, 5:56 PM
I got one of each, the nickle and the regular black steel. I didn't get the plastic.

06-10-2009, 7:57 PM
Lots of tricks you can try, if you are able to tinker.

You didnt give any description of just how things were hanging up, so tough to give any advice. And what sort of ammo were you using. Might be exacerbating the problem.

06-10-2009, 8:14 PM
I have a few ProMag mags for my Mini, and they seem to feed fine. Yesterday, though, I did have a problem getting the magazine to snap into the rifle. The top round ended up getting all buggered up, it was catching on something (no idea what/why), so I popped the top round out and the mag snapped in fine. Fired it till empty (as I've done many times) without issue after that.

06-10-2009, 8:14 PM
Some times getting Ruger factory followers will make bad mags run better.

06-11-2009, 12:21 PM
I bought a couple promag 10s too..I believe the magazine has trouble being inserted when there's an even number of shots..for example..
My 10 rounders are 9ers. I can"t load 8 but can load 7.. sucks huh..
I learned to live with it..
One thing I did find out is that if you load a promag 10 it will load perfectly if you open the bolt, then load. Pull back and it strips that hard to fit shot.
I think thats how they're intended to be used, because the last shot in a Mini causes the bolt to remain open, pop a new magazine in and presto, loaded and ready.

Hope this helps someone..

06-11-2009, 1:03 PM
get a few magpul or cproducts clone ar15 followers and springs. cut the followers to fit and they will feed right.

06-11-2009, 4:49 PM
Ok, I was using Remmington Green box ammo and I was loading them to cap. The rounds were not feeding into the chamber, getting hung up, denting the round. Also the mag was not snapping into place. I'll try the suggestions the next time I'm at the range, but it really sucks that these don't work right out of the bag. Thanks for all the help! I'll let you guys know the results.