PDA

View Full Version : CHP questions

WokMaster1
06-07-2009, 6:41 PM
What do CHP motorbike officers do when it rains? Do they have to patrol in a cruiser?

What do the officers driving the pickup trucks do? Is their primary duty enforcing trucking laws?

MR.R
06-07-2009, 6:44 PM
they get wet!!!!

paul0660
06-07-2009, 6:57 PM
question 2: yes, they are called trucker****ers.

cortayack
06-07-2009, 7:06 PM
I have never seen a CHip out in the rain............;) I see them all the time during the work week commute.........

paladin4415
06-07-2009, 7:24 PM
What do CHP motorbike officers do when it rains? Do they have to patrol in a cruiser?

What do the officers driving the pickup trucks do? Is their primary duty enforcing trucking laws?

To answer your questions:
Yes they patrol in cars when the weather makes it unsafe to ride their motors.

The officers in the pickups are "commercial enforcement", and primarily work semi trucks and buses.

REDHORSE
06-07-2009, 7:55 PM
Rain doesn't stop me, that's what rain riding gear is made for.

I prefer commuting on the bike when it rains. Traffic is usually at least double/ triple as bad than on a normal day. I can get around/ through the jams on a bike.

Beside California 'rain' is super mild compared to other parts of the country. It's usually only patches of rain for a few miles. Rarely is it a constant downpour throughout my commute.

The CHP motorbikes are probably at a scene of an accident. They're usually first to arrive (through traffic). Maybe that's why you don't see them patrolling.

Fire in the Hole
06-08-2009, 8:52 AM
guys, i'll try to answer this, but i fell 8 ft. off a ladder last night, and landed on some rocks. cut my head pretty bad, and broke both bones in my right arm in two places. i have free floating bone segment in both bones. i had to call an ambulance to get me. i'm pecking this out on 1 finger, so i can't hit the capital key. i'm schuduled for ortho surgery this pm. i'm in so much pain i'm crying. wish me luck please. chp motors take their motors home. when it rains, they just double up with a car cop. the pickup trucks carry portable weighing scales. their primary function is commercial enforcement. they are not only chips, they are tits. truck inspection team. i'm going to take my percodan now. i'll be away for a bit.

paul0660
06-08-2009, 8:54 AM
Holy CRAP fire, good luck! you are due!

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 9:02 AM
Hang in there Fire

QuarterBoreGunner
06-08-2009, 9:36 AM
The officers in the pickups are "commercial enforcement", and primarily work semi trucks and buses. I always wondered about that.

SVT-40
06-08-2009, 11:56 AM
guys, i'll try to answer this, but i fell 8 ft. off a ladder last night, and landed on some rocks. cut my head pretty bad, and broke both bones in my right arm in two places. i have free floating bone segment in both bones. i had to call an ambulance to get me. i'm pecking this out on 1 finger, so i can't hit the capital key. i'm schuduled for ortho surgery this pm. i'm in so much pain i'm crying. wish me luck please. chp motors take their motors home. when it rains, they just double up with a car cop. the pickup trucks carry portable weighing scales. their primary function is commercial enforcement. they are not only chips, they are tits. truck inspection team. i'm going to take my percodan now. i'll be away for a bit.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Take it real easy and get well soon.

7222 Hawker
06-11-2009, 4:13 PM
Most motor riders go out in a car. You won't see much proactive enforcement on rain days. Too dangerous to be out writing tickets with cars sliding out all over the place. And... chippies are almost always slammed with calls when it rains. No time to do anything but head to the next call or write. The truck guys are called MRE's. They specialize in commercial stuff and they are pretty good at it. Commercial codes get much more technical that your standard moving violation things.

Fire in the Hole
06-11-2009, 8:36 PM
Dr. says that my two bones were so pulverized, that he won't be able to find a sound purchase to screw into. He couldn't work with the saw dust and toothpicks I left for him. I went under the slice and dice 0600 yesterday. Dr. had to remove 6 inches from both forearm bones, and graph in two 6 inch cadaver bones to make it work. He used a dremel tool to make mortise and tendon joints in the bone ends. He lyposuctioned 4 thimbles of fat from the hollow of my navel to us as glue at the 4 sections, then screwed 4 toe-ins at 45 degreee angles to lock them. I'll be in a cast for 2 months. My neighbor says I was unconscious for over 5 minutes. An MRI and CAT scan of my brain showed no injury. But I've got 4 stitches in my scalp, and a big goose egg. Lots of rock abrasions on my face and legs. I wasn't too concerned about my brain because it's a non-vital organ that I really don't use for much, except to keep my skull from imploding and collasping in on itself. Percoset and Kesslers is just taking the edge off the pain. I have a hand ball tournmeant on Saturday.

CaliTheKid
06-11-2009, 9:55 PM
Feel better bro-- just take it easy and rest.

heyeugenio
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Hang in there Fire

+1!!!!

FNG TJ
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
There is a phrase that floats around our office:

"A good chippy never gets hot and never gets wet." ;)

Spoken like a true salty dawg!!!

retired
06-12-2009, 6:20 PM
Dr. says that my two bones were so pulverized, that he won't be able to find a sound purchase to screw into. He couldn't work with the saw dust and toothpicks I left for him. I went under the slice and dice 0600 yesterday. Dr. had to remove 6 inches from both forearm bones, and graph in two 6 inch cadaver bones to make it work. He used a dremel tool to make mortise and tendon joints in the bone ends. He lyposuctioned 4 thimbles of fat from the hollow of my navel to us as glue at the 4 sections, then screwed 4 toe-ins at 45 degreee angles to lock them. I'll be in a cast for 2 months. My neighbor says I was unconscious for over 5 minutes. An MRI and CAT scan of my brain showed no injury. But I've got 4 stitches in my scalp, and a big goose egg. Lots of rock abrasions on my face and legs. I wasn't too concerned about my brain because it's a non-vital organ that I really don't use for much, except to keep my skull from imploding and collasping in on itself. Percoset and Kesslers is just taking the edge off the pain. I have a hand ball tournmeant on Saturday.

I'm thinking you can probably forget about the handball tournament on Sat.:D

Man oh man! You are one lucky guy. Did your neighbor discover you or was it a family member. I can't believe you were able to even be on here typing this out in the condition you were/are in.

Take care and rest. When you start PT, just remember to keep trying even if seems like you are not making progress. Some people get depressed while getting therapy when they don't see a lot of progress right away. They also compare themselves to others getting therapy. Everyone is different and everyone progresses at their own pace. Hang in there.

masameet
06-12-2009, 6:37 PM
Well, the good thing is you're still around. And even though handicapped, can still express yourself, Fire in the Hole, pretty darned well. What I like about thinking and forming replies on the internet is the process allows the mind to stop minding physical pain. Well, sorta. lol

P.S. When I had a hairline fracture that required a soft cast, the physical therapist had me follow a regimen of 15 minutes soaking in very hot water followed by a 1-minute dunking in ice water. The hot water allowed the blood to circulate better and the ice water stopped the swelling. Did this procedure 3x/day for at least two months. I was amazed at how quickly my muscles/ligament healed (compared to the usual rest-and-wait Rx). When your wounds heal, maybe you could follow a similar heat/cold procedure.

Fire in the Hole
06-12-2009, 7:24 PM
The Dr. Has not brought up PT with me yet. I've been through it before in 2003 when I got pushed down a cliffside for a 50 ft. fall back in 2003. I was off work 6 months., with a fx L-5,and sciatic nerve damage. I should have taken off more but the boss kept reminging how he needed my stats to turn into HQ. I would be almost remiss if I did't add that I know there are some good 647(f's) and some bad 647(f's) in the world. As this is the prevalent way to begin a thred in the LEO forum. And that a few of the bad ones give the majority of the good ones a bad repuation. It's just so refreshing to hear. Constantly.

I'm doing my own PT by bending my fingers back and forth within the cast. God it hurts though. It was just my own stupid fault for it to happen. I thought I could just lean a little bit more to prue that last branch. I hereby nomiate myself for the Darwin Award.

O

Steveo8
06-13-2009, 11:35 AM
I hereby nomiate myself for the Darwin Award.O
Can't you're still alive :)

Fire in the Hole
06-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for all the well wishes guys. They do mean a lot. Yesterday was not a good one for me. The weather was bad, pain was bad, yadda, yadda, yadda. Today is a nice day though, slept good. What is depressing though is that I have a very nice organic fruit tree orchard. I put a lot of time and money maintaining through the year. I raise Almonds, Arkansas Black Apples, Golden Delicious Apples, Stella Cherries, Bartlett Pears, Moorepark Apricots, Nectarines, Peaches, and Purple Plums. I also grow Sequoia Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Boysenberries, Gooseberries, and Top Hat Blueberries. My wife makes the best pies and jams around. This time of year I usually sell them Sundays at a local farmers market. When they've had their fill they say thanks by delivering the coupe-de-graise of bright red poop on top of my head as they fly off well nourished. Now I sit here watching the birds just decimating my cherry crop. For obvious reasons, me and ladders are not a good match-up at this time. My wife is short and afraid of heights. So it looks like I'm going to loose the crop. It's too bad to, because these are the best cherries you'll ever eat. Anybody want to come pick some free fruit?