PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question RE; Auctions

Bruce
03-01-2005, 7:07 AM
A friend of mine is looking for a 2" for off duty. He doesn't have a Gun Broker account, and doesn't want to get one.If I find him a CA legal one,can I legally pay for the auction as long as he is the one who does the DROS, 4473, etc.. at the dealer????

Bruce
03-01-2005, 7:07 AM
A friend of mine is looking for a 2" for off duty. He doesn't have a Gun Broker account, and doesn't want to get one.If I find him a CA legal one,can I legally pay for the auction as long as he is the one who does the DROS, 4473, etc.. at the dealer????

shooterx10
03-01-2005, 12:37 PM
That shouldn't be a problem. As long as someone pays for the item and someone is there to have the DROS to be run on them. However, let the CA FFL holder know that your friend will be coming in for the DROS. The seller might send the weapon with your name on it since you're the one who paid by check, M.O., credit card, etc.

bwiese
03-01-2005, 3:21 PM
Explain the situation in detail.

IIRC, BATFs 'don't lie for the other guy' campaign warns about straw purchases where one guy is doing paperwork but another guy forks over the cash. Let the CA FFL and remote shipper know this is not the case and the background/reasoning for it.

Bill W
San Jose

jnojr
03-01-2005, 5:46 PM
Just send the seller a money order. The "Payor" is optional on a MO or cashiers check... you can just fill in your friends name.

A "straw purchase" is where one person is filling out the paperwork so someone else can get a gun. Nobody cares who pays for a gun so long as the person who's getting it is the one who's name is on the paperwork.

Bruce
03-27-2005, 6:56 AM
An Update: After stewing about the situation in the original post, my friend found a local "police supply' place that had the 442 he wanted. He purchased it there even though they charged him over $30 more than they quoted him on the phone, and $20 more than if we'd done the auction as described. http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif Thanks for the legal opinions. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif