PDA

View Full Version : 922r question AK

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 7:33 AM
I have a Romy AK and FEG SA-85 that are pre-AWB and registered as such what applies to these rifles if I want to put collapsible or folding stocks on them. Do I need to change out other parts, the whole 922r section confuses me. The Romy came with a pistolgrip stock set on it from factory and the FEG has a bunghole stock. Help/advice please.

Thank you

SJgunguy24
06-07-2009, 9:16 AM
If you have AW reg paper I believe you can molest your rifles at will. The 922r "thing" is all about importation. If said firearm cannot be imported in the configuration you want, you need to replace enough parts to bring he count to 10 or less.
Example, a Saiga 7.62X39 has 14 parts that count for 922r. So if I want to use standard AK mags, i'll need to replace at least 4 parts in order to be legal. Here's a write up on the 922r. Now I.I.R.C. you have aw reg papers your exempt, do to the fact that the firearms were imported like that.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 9:31 AM
What about the FEG with the bunghole stock?? What is I.I.R.C., SJgun? The link only really talked aboput converting Saigas, still confused or I'm just stupid.

69Mach1
06-07-2009, 9:43 AM
If I Remember Correctly. IIRC

Romy's were never pre-1989 ban rifles. Importation limitations and bans started in 89 for foreign rifles. There were some Hungarian AK's that are pre-89 and are exempt from 922r. Does your's come with thumbhole stock and minus a bayonet lug and muzzle threading? Then it's a post ban and is subject to 922r. Others may argue that that law is only for manufacturers, but CYA...

jas000
06-07-2009, 9:43 AM
Here's the general 922r page at GunWiki:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

Here's for regular AK styles:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance

The Saiga gunwiki page linked to in the post above is a subset / special type of AK.

Rukus
06-07-2009, 9:44 AM
If I remember correctly.

I believe SJGun is correct, because you have RAW it doesnt matter what you do to them.

SJgunguy24
06-07-2009, 9:46 AM
Thats the way it works with AR's, you got paper? Do as you please as long as NFA regs are followed.

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 10:29 AM
SJgun ARs were never imported so it is a different set of rules. The Romy since it came from the factory with a pistol grip stock set I don't think that it would matter what stock is put on it, it is more for the FEg because it did come from the factory with the thumbhole stock to make it importable (my word) then I would agree that the 922r would come into play.

bohoki
06-07-2009, 10:40 AM
is it illegal to use a standard ak magazine in imported mak-90's

SJgunguy24
06-07-2009, 12:53 PM
SJgun ARs were never imported so it is a different set of rules. The Romy since it came from the factory with a pistol grip stock set I don't think that it would matter what stock is put on it, it is more for the FEg because it did come from the factory with the thumbhole stock to make it importable (my word) then I would agree that the 922r would come into play.

I was referring to the AW status when I brought up AR. If you have a RAW AR or AK the law is the same. 922r only applies to imported firearms.

Not sure about the Mak, I guess if you really wanted to use standard mags, start swapping the furniture. Ironwood designs makes USA wood for Chinese receivers. Swap out the FCG and the gas piston and add a MMG. Not 100% sure the count on the MAK but it shouldn't be hard.

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the help guys

PolishMike
06-07-2009, 1:44 PM
AW is STATE. 922R is FEDERAL. Please do not forget this.

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 2:25 PM
Okay next question I was looking at some parts for the SA-85, does anyone know where to get a gas piston for this rifle? Ones that I saw specifically said not for use with the SA-85 doe it have a different length gas tube?

1siktkt
06-07-2009, 2:28 PM
Also should the Romy already have 922r compliant parts since it was sold with the PG stock set from the manufacturer? How can I tell just disassemble and see if it has made in USA on the parts both of these guns were bought in the mid to late '90s