PDA

View Full Version : Colt complete upper in 38 automatic (super)

RP1911
06-06-2009, 8:07 PM
I was offered a complete Colt 38 super upper (slide, barrel and bushing).

It's an older one but not sure how old. It has the Hartford on one side with dates and on the other it has Colt 38 automatic and below that the following: RM Adden or maybe RMadden

I have not seen it yet. The blueing is worn and will need a re-blue or hard chrome etc.

This means i will end up buying a couple of extra mags amd find a frame to build one up.

I can get it for $200. :)

Texwanders
06-06-2009, 8:14 PM
Is it a gov't model, or Commander?

s281c
06-06-2009, 8:20 PM

It's an older one but not sure how old. It has the Hartford on one side with dates and on the other it has Colt 38 automatic and below that the following: RM Adden or maybe RMadden

I have not seen it yet. The blueing is worn and will need a re-blue or hard chrome etc.

This means i will end up buying a couple of extra mags amd find a frame to build one up.

For $200 if you don't want it I'd take it...........I just paid almost that much for a stripped Kimber Gold Match Slide.....

aplinker
06-06-2009, 8:52 PM
buy it

JTROKS
06-06-2009, 9:11 PM
Just the slide is about that much. I wonder if the barrel headspaces on the rim or casemouth?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
06-06-2009, 9:41 PM
Buy it!

JTROKS, if the barrel is stock Colt and older than 1988 (sounds like it is from the description), it headspaces on the rim.

RP1911
06-07-2009, 8:34 AM
Everything is stock Colt and it's standard 5".

I'll buy it today and post up pictures later.

B Strong
06-07-2009, 9:20 AM

Buy it NOW!

brassburnz
06-07-2009, 9:36 AM
For $200 that's a good deal. Buy a 9mm barrel and mags. Forget the .38 Super unless you have a reason to go with that caliber (already reload for it, inherited a ton of ammo, etc.). The money you save shooting 9mm instead of .38 super will pay for the slide.

RP1911
06-07-2009, 9:38 AM
For $200 that's a good deal. Buy a 9mm barrel and mags. Forget the .38 Super unless you have a reason to go with that caliber (already reload for it, inherited a ton of ammo, etc.). The money you save shooting 9mm instead of .38 super will pay for the slide.

Have a few hundred rounds of 38 super already. I'll get a 9 mm barrel for it at some point.

RP1911
06-07-2009, 2:41 PM
I bought it.

I met the seller whom I've known for over 10 years at Jamba Juice at the corner of Watt and Peacemaker/Roseville rd.

Sat outside and opened the box and looked at everything. 20 feet away inside Jamba Juice was a female CHP officer on her break with a male friend.

He was facing me and said something to her. I had the slide in my hand and was looking at it and could see she was looking at us intently.

I made sure she saw that it was just a slide. I pulled the barrel out of the slide and looked inside while pointing it upward.

Then put everything back together and back in the box. By this point she was no longer interested and wasn't evem looking our way.

She left after another 10 minutes while my friend and I kept talking.

No drama.

The slide needs a good cleaning and a bead blast. there's some pitting next to the ejection port. but overall very slavageable and would make a good shooter.

trashman
06-07-2009, 3:16 PM
Good snag!

Fantasma
06-07-2009, 8:37 PM
Where are the pictures..

aplinker
06-07-2009, 11:58 PM

I love 9mm 1911s.

brassburnz
06-08-2009, 12:35 AM
Have a few hundred rounds of 38 super already. I'll get a 9 mm barrel for it at some point.

The older Colt .38 Supers headspace on the case rim. You'll see the tiny ledge on the barrel. Most factory ammo will have an inconsistent headspace because of it, leading to the stories of poor accuracy.

Barsto, .38 Super barrels headspace on the case mouth. I know there are others, but I'm sure about the Barsto. Great accuracy potential from these barrels.

RP1911
06-08-2009, 5:53 AM
Where are the pictures..

I'm on the road. Did not have time to take pictures. Sorry, I'll do that when I get back.