PDA

View Full Version : So I held a Ruger LCP today...

matrix056
06-06-2009, 9:06 PM
One of my co-workers bought a Ruger LCP from J&R Sports in Livermore. She picked it up today. It is amazingly small, it is so light it feels like a toy. I am interested to see how reliable they are. I know they cant be much good past 10 yards out, but they are meant to be CQB guns. It would be nice to put a laser on it, since the sights are not really useable.

I was able to stick the gun in my vest straps (unloaded & safe), which held it perfectly. It is small enough to fit in a uniform shirt pocket and there was no printing! Great little gun for back-up or front jeans pocket for off-duty. At $330, I might pick one up.

Has anyone shot the LCP yet? Not just a range report/ballistics but how does it feel in your hands when you shoot? does it seem reliable? I have a 5-shot S&W j-frame and the LCP is much lighter and hold 7 rounds. Thanks for your input.

And yes, I know about the recall. That seems to be Ruger's M.O.

itchy finger
06-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Have one and I got it just due to the size and ease of concealment. Took it to the range and expected it to feel like a toy. Was I surprised how it shot. Very accurate and has a pretty good kick for a .380 auto. If you can get one, I would recommend.

5shot
06-07-2009, 11:28 AM
I've got a couple. They are very nice guns. I put the lasers on them because the sights are pretty small. They shoot real well, no FTF's. The recoil is very noticeable after 15-20 rounds. But that's the trade off for the light weight.
Accuracy is pretty good, even with the heavy trigger pull. But again it's made for very close range use. I like them a lot. And the price is very reasonable for the quality and size of the piece.

Unit74
06-07-2009, 5:41 PM
I have one and love it. I was carrying a S&W M&P 340 357 before and it has since been parked.

BigDogatPlay
06-07-2009, 9:32 PM
Can anyone say how the LCP compares (obvious price point differences aside) with a Kahr in a more potent caliber? I used to carry a SiG P230 as a backup, and always drooled over a buddy of mine's Kahr .40. I also like the idea of something with a little more pop than a .380. My SiG is great, but it was a little bulky tucked inside my body armor and is too big, I think, for an effective ankle carry although I've seen them carried that way.

I've got an itch for a Kahr . 40 or .45, even though I don't have a work related reason to have one anymore.

SVT-40
06-07-2009, 10:40 PM
The LCP is much smaller and lighter. .380 is really only a last resort round though. Probably great for a back up gun.

My wife has a Kahr CW9. Neat little purse pistol.

pummel
06-08-2009, 2:05 AM
I got one strictly as an easy to conceal off duty weapon. This thing has no profile at all when carried in my IWB holster, even in gym clothes. I've actually taken it jogging!
As someone already said, you can really feel the kick after about 2 mags, but it's manageable. I'm not keen on the sights, but I don't know about paying half the guns cost for a laser.
Overall, I'm quite happy with the LCP. However, I still use my S&W 642 Airweight as my back up, per advice from some of the vets.

Unit74
06-08-2009, 3:23 AM
The Kahr is 3 times the price of the LCP... And heavier. For daily carry, the LCP is great though.

But, for ultra reliable, can't beet the j frame revolvers.

Ron-Solo
06-08-2009, 8:55 AM
This gun was designed as an "up close and personal" defense weapon, not something you want to go to the range and bust off a couple hundred rounds (if you can find them) on a range day.

It's concealability is great. It slides into a pocket and isn't much bigger than a cell phone.

It doesn't have the knockdown power of a 9mm, but at close range you should be able to put 7 where it counts to make a tactical withdrawal and call for backup.

It's small size allows you to carry off duty when your mode of dress (summertime shorts & t-shirt) doesn't allow for carrying a larger piece of equipment. Better to have one that has slightly less power, than have nothing at all. Some of the newer .380 rounds have pretty good balistics no days. It isn't like the old days where there was nothing but ball ammo out there. The LCP has eaten anything I've run through it.

I bought mine for retirement, which is 2 years away.

erik18
06-09-2009, 1:35 AM
I have one and use it as my BUG in a uncle mikes vest holster...I can barely tell it's there. Shoots pretty good too for such a small gun.

Orange County Peace Officer Association store in Orange off of Katella has it for 275 I believe...At least that is what I paid a few months ago.

ivanimal
06-09-2009, 1:37 AM
Mine is so small you forget it is even there. Pretty accurate for a belly gun. Use good ammo and never any problems.

Unit74
06-09-2009, 5:14 AM
I have one and use it as my BUG in a uncle mikes vest holster...I can barely tell it's there. Shoots pretty good too for such a small gun.

Orange County Peace Officer Association store in Orange off of Katella has it for 275 I believe...At least that is what I paid a few months ago.

Pro force was doing $289 so that's a deal for sure/.....