PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Shooting Near Lancaster?

Adventurer_96
04-06-2005, 8:53 PM
I'm moving to the area outside of Edwards and I'm looking to find a good rifle range in the area. I'd be shooting a lot of evil AWs (registered of course), and I know that a lot of ranges frown on that sort of thing. Service rifle highpower would be a plus.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!

04-07-2005, 5:09 AM
Let me know when you get here, I live off 15th St West by the hospital.

The closest range is Desert Marksman, you have to be a member www.dmrpc.org (http://www.dmrpc.org) They do open to the public for their matches. Or you could just drive out into the desert and go shooting. Being that your already in the high desert it doesn't take very long.

imported_Telpierion
04-07-2005, 6:47 AM
Originally posted by 50_Shooter:
Let me know when you get here, I live off 15th St West by the hospital.

The closest range is Desert Marksman, you have to be a member www.dmrpc.org (http://www.dmrpc.org) They do open to the public for their matches. Or you could just drive out into the desert and go shooting. Being that your already in the high desert it doesn't take very long.

There is also "Place to Shoot" off San Francisquito Canyon Road. But I think they are still closed from the flooding and rain. They have a variety of ranges for pistols rifles and shotguns with metal and paper targets, and for shotguns clays. But personally I drive a little further north to the Tehachapi Sportsman Club. It's like $50 a year and you just come and go as you please. They have rifle, pistol, archery and trap ranges. The trap range is organized activity only though.

Now I have a question. As far as just going out in the desert and shooting away, what are the laws/rules concerning this. Can you point me to something that definitely says doing this is OK?

04-07-2005, 7:46 AM
Being that most of the desert is BLM, that's the first place to check. There are certain areas that are off limits or limited to shotguns only. The off limits areas are mostly desert Tortoise habitats (near Cal City) and El Mirage (lakebed) that I can remember. The shotgun only area is south of Hwy 58 near Kramer Jct/Hwy 395. There use to be a link on the home page here for the BLM, it also had the link that had the internal memo from the BLM stating that AW's are okay on BLM land.

I've been shooting in the desert since I was a kid, never been hassled. If/when a Ranger/Sheriff comes out, just be curtious. It also helps to put your guns down/away so their more at ease. Most will tell you to pick up your trash when you leave or to keep an eye out for hunters. Yes, there is hunting in the desert but I still haven't seen any Deer, Antelope or Chuckers that they talk about.

Also if you go out locally, make sure your not on private property. It might get you into trouble if you piss off the owner.

There have been a few posts of guys that have gone out by Jawbone and Red Rock Cyn. Just be sure not to shoot the aquaduct pipes that run through the mountains. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif There's also alot of dirtbike riders and 4 wheelers out that way, so keep an eye out for them. There's a Ranger/desert info station at the mouth of Jawbone Cyn, you can stop in and ask them. If your gonna camp out there you might want to pick up a campfire permit.

The best advise I can give is to GET OUT of L.A.County and into Kern or San Berdo.

imported_Telpierion
04-07-2005, 7:59 AM
I wasn't implying there was anything wrong with it. I was just asking for my own piece of mind. I've looked around the BLM website but I couldn't find any thing. That doesn't mean it's not there though. As far as getting out of L.A. County goes, that's not a problem. I live on the other side of the Kern county line in Rosamond.

04-07-2005, 8:28 AM
Hope I didn't come off that way, didn't mean to.

Here's a link for BLM, http://www.ca.blm.gov/caso/hunting.html

Have you ever gone shooting off Backus Rd? How about the area off Frontage Rd. that Mauserlady use to post?

m2hbvic
04-07-2005, 9:03 AM
A personal friend of mine is a Kern County Sheriffs officer at the Rosamond office/station (I think he recently got promoted to the head of the Rosamond station). I ran into him at Harbor Freight last month and while we were talking I asked him about which areas are okay to shoot at around the Rosamond area??? He basically told me that it's okay just about anywhere (while using good common sense and being safe) as long as nobody calls and complains about it! If someone calls in a complaint of shooters near their house then the KCSO will have to tell you to leave.
Vic

imported_Telpierion
04-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Have you ever gone shooting off Backus Rd? How about the area off Frontage Rd. that Mauserlady use to post?

I have not been to either area. I'll have to check them out some time.

04-07-2005, 11:54 AM
When A_96 get's out here, maybe we'll all have to meet up and do some shooting.

bagdrag
04-11-2005, 1:28 AM
There is a place that I go shooting out by Garlock. It is east of Red Rock on Red Rock Road. I take the EP11 trail out to a mining shack. You can get about a 1000 yards out there. If you have any questions PM me.

Tony

imported_Telpierion
04-11-2005, 6:32 AM
I agree with 50_Shooter. When A_96 arrives we should organise an AV shoot.

Adventurer_96
04-11-2005, 5:16 PM
Guys, thanks for the replies, when I moved to Utah I posted a similar question and ended up running into a bunch of shooting buddies. Not too bad of a deal in the long run. I'll be out in mid-June, and probably shooting in the cool months (July, August) once I settle in.

m2hbvic I'd like to find out if your Sherrif's officer friend has anything to say about concealed carry in Rosamond. It's my intent to apply when I'm out there, I just need to find out where to start and if there are any considerations to the area. Any info you might have would be appreciated.

I look forward to getting to meet you guys! I'm busy stocking up on AWs to register for the move!

imported_Telpierion
04-11-2005, 6:20 PM
m2hbvic I'd like to find out if your Sherrif's officer friend has anything to say about concealed carry in Rosamond. It's my intent to apply when I'm out there, I just need to find out where to start and if there are any considerations to the area. Any info you might have would be appreciated.

Well if you live in Rosamond you will be in Kern County and generally have a better chance than if you live in L.A. County. But since my only pistol is a 60 year old TT-33 atm I've never tried to apply myself. Rosamond is a nice small town community and would be a bit closer to the base, especially if you will be working up at North Edwards. But if you live in Lancaster there will be more stuff closer to home. Any way in spite of all our silly repressive laws California is still a nice place to live and you will probably enjoy it. I look forward to meeting you.

m2hbvic
04-12-2005, 12:53 AM
Hey A96! I'll ask my KCSO buddy about concealed carry permits in Kern county/Rosamond the next time I go to Rosamond. I'll make sure to ask him if he can sign off on the LEO portion of the paperwork. Heck, now I'm wondering if he could do the sign off for me if I applied for a CCW license, even though I live here in Lancaster, on the other side of the L.A./Kern county line??? My KCSO buddy lives here in Lancaster (L.A. county) but works as a KCSO officer in Rosamond! Go figure?

BTW, I always like going to Karl's Hardware on Diamond Street in Rosamond! They have a nice little gun shop in the rear of the store, the prices aren't too bad, and the gun department guys (Eric, Don, and Tom) are great guys to deal with and can order what you want and will usually even do layaways/"easy payment plans" if you ask them!

Also, if you work at Edwards AFB, you might be able to use their firing range at their Rod & Gun Club on base. I'm not sure if they still allow civilian gov employees/gov contractor employees to use the range, especially after 9-11. I know they used to allow it back in the early 1990's.
Vic

Mike
04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
A_96, feel free to email me (addy is in my profile) with any questions as you should be transitioning here just after I leave. I have been there/done that with what you are going through now.

Vic, only shotgun ranges are open to civvies at Rod & Gun, A, B and C ranges are permanently suspended for civvie use.
Good luck.

TimG
04-12-2005, 2:05 PM
Sounds like another time for an informal shoot at "the desert spot" when A 96 gets here

double_action
04-12-2005, 2:17 PM
I look forward to getting to meet you guys! I'm busy stocking up on AWs to register for the move!

Am I the only one who missed this???

If you're "stocking up", good luck! You can't bring any AW into the state from another state. If you didn't register them by Jan. 2001 (I think that's right) you're out of luck.

Mike
04-12-2005, 2:56 PM
I thought I was the only one, too--but deleted my earlier post after searching A-96's previous threads--he intends to bring his AW's into CA AFTER his MAWP is signed off, and only after it is signed off. I am also wondering if Brig. Gen. Bedke will be signing off on it as well.
It's not fair for military members here on orders to be subjected to unconstitutional laws. Hence the MAWP.

double_action
04-12-2005, 3:37 PM
Thanks Mike. I didn't even know there was a MAWP. Only us civilans are subjected to unconstitutional laws, I guess. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

TimG
04-12-2005, 4:03 PM
WTF is a MAWP ?

double_action
04-12-2005, 4:08 PM
I was guessing "Military Assualt Weapon Permit"…

Mike
04-12-2005, 5:35 PM
It is exactly that.

Adventurer_96
04-21-2005, 1:57 PM
I'm lucky that they allow that, it's too bad that the CA DOJ doesn't have a good web page listing this program.

This is proving to be a bit challenging logistically, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile. I'm glad to be moving back to the desert.

Any AK shooters among you guys?

bwiese
04-21-2005, 2:26 PM
Hi, Adventurer...

However you've managed to (legally) acquire your AWs in CA, do realize that your permit still doesn't remove some restrictions on it.

(Legal) AWs can only be shot in CA in areas where they're expressly allowed. So this means it's OK on most gun ranges and on BLM land. You should NOT shoot AWs in California-controlled areas even if other hunting/shooting is allowed unless you can get express permission.

Also, in CA your AWs have to be transported unloaded in a locked case, and just directly to/from your destination. You can't drive around for a week with an AW thrown behind your truck's seat.

I also again encourage you to really really look into hicap mag issue. I don't think you can import them into CA even if you have your MAWP!! From what I've seen the regulatory/legal support of MAWP makes no mention about hicap magazines, and the relevant law supporting the 2000 hicap magazine ban offers no exemptions for military personnel w/MAWPs. I believe a lawyer would agree with me. This is something that DOJ 1st-level phone staffers will not likely answer correctly or even comprehend that there IS an issue.

If you don't believe me, talk to a CA attorney. I think he'll tell you to tread with caution here.

I'd talk to Tim Riegert (asst. head of Cal DOJ Firearms Div.) and ask for details. Outline the concerns I've listed in above paragraph.
During a recent NRA Members' Council meeting in San Jose, he told folks he could be reached for special questions, and seemed to be quite helpful... you might have to leave a message and schedule a phone call with him.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

04-23-2005, 8:53 AM
AK, check. 75 rd drum, check. Lots of 30 rounders, check.

Adventurer_96
04-25-2005, 9:04 PM
Bill:

I am looking into the mag issue very closely, as I've indicated, and I have no intent of breaking any law in moving to CA. My point is that if I listened to the first responses I'd received on these forums, I wouldn't have found out that I can register my AWs with a MAWP and bring them with me.

The letter to the CA DOJ is in the mail, we'll see what they have to say about mags & military.

Adventurer_96
05-04-2005, 10:26 PM
m2hbvic, PM sent.

Six weeks and counting...

m2hbvic
05-05-2005, 7:18 PM
Hey A96! Got your PM. Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you. Been too busy with too many projects and honey-do's. Sent you a reply w/ the info that you needed. Hope it helps you out.
Vic

05-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Hey Vic,
When are we going shooting?

m2hbvic
05-06-2005, 1:41 AM
Hey Shawn! I sure wanted to go blasting with all of you guys out in the desert this month and not miss out on the potluck dinner, but.......just like last May, I'll be back in Florida visiting family and friends during that weekend. Well, either the next desert shoot (in July?) or sometime before then (barring anything else like a good airshow, concerts, more hand surgery, or those f^cking honey-do's!!!). I sometimes go out to a buddies place in Rosamond for a "quickie" shooting session in the AM before work to try out a new ammo load and to stop by Karl's Hardware to check out their new gun selections. That's how I came across the LAR Grizzly pistol in .45 Win Mag. It's a blaster!!! Made all the guys pack up and leave when I shot it at the indoor range in Van Nuys!

Give me a call or I'll call you sometime this week. Got a question to ask you.
Vic

Adventurer_96
05-24-2005, 10:05 PM
They just put up an LAR for sale at the shop I frequent, and I've seen them shot before which is why I didn't get it! Too much BOOOOM for me. I'm excited to see Karl's, I think I'll become a regular based upon how my habits have been formed out here in Utah.

Now I've got to find 10 round AK, AR, FAL and G-3 magazines for the move. What a pain!!!

Vic, thanks for the info, I dropped you a reply to the message.

Three weeks and counting...

imported_Telpierion
05-25-2005, 6:11 AM
Hey A_96, what base are you coming from and what do you do in the AF? When you get here 10 round AR mags shouldn't be too hard to find since the Keltec SU-16CA is fairly popular here and it takes AR mags. As for AK mags check out Sante Fe Gun in Palmdale if anybody has them he will.

Mike
05-25-2005, 1:36 PM
Originally posted by Telpierion:
Hey A_96, what base are you coming from and what do you do in the AF? When you get here 10 round AR mags shouldn't be too hard to find since the Keltec SU-16CA is fairly popular here and it takes AR mags. As for AK mags check out Sante Fe Gun in Palmdale if anybody has them he will.
My WAG would be Hill http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
I never even heard of 10 round AK mags, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. And Sante Fe would likely ask more than top dollar for them anyways! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

ETA: A-96--are you planning on staying on or off base?

imported_Telpierion
05-25-2005, 1:55 PM
I never even heard of 10 round AK mags, but that doesn't mean they do not exist. And Sante Fe would likely ask more than top dollar for them anyways!

Well I know they make them for those CA legal Pump AK's. I know Sante Fe can be on the high side but I still like the shop.

Mike
05-25-2005, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by Telpierion:
Well I know they make them for those CA legal Pump AK's. I know Sante Fe can be on the high side but I still like the shop.

I'd much rather support Jeff Storm's High Desert Storm or even Karl's..Sorry, but LC XM193 for $9.99 a box? A fab-10 for $1,500? http://www.calguns.net/laughroll.gif

And I'll never forget that little midget and what he told--absolutely all Springfield 1911's are total junk and only mec-gar mags are any good--all others, especially Wilson mags, are total junk.

It doesn't matter, it's all good, and even better once we are out of here.

Adventurer_96
05-27-2005, 9:33 PM
Hill is right, and I know it may sound crazy but I'm involved in the flying business... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Only a few weeks now...

imported_Telpierion
05-28-2005, 5:35 AM
Originally posted by Adventurer_96:
Hill is right, and I know it may sound crazy but I'm involved in the flying business... http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm actually in Roy visiting a friend stationed at hill this weekend. Are you actually a pilot or are you in something not directly related to flying?