PDA

View Full Version : Hi power thoughts

slowjon
03-24-2005, 9:05 AM
My dad, who lives in arizona has taken an interest in Hi Powers. What are the thoughts on which era guns were desireable as far as function/ reliability go? I have heard that the german ones during the war were not all that great. The inglis and "T" series are the ones that I see touted as being desireable. Also how are the current production browning Hi Powers? I might pick one up for myself. Thanks, Brian

slowjon
03-24-2005, 9:05 AM
My dad, who lives in arizona has taken an interest in Hi Powers. What are the thoughts on which era guns were desireable as far as function/ reliability go? I have heard that the german ones during the war were not all that great. The inglis and "T" series are the ones that I see touted as being desireable. Also how are the current production browning Hi Powers? I might pick one up for myself. Thanks, Brian

slowjon
03-24-2005, 9:09 AM
One last question, are older Hi Powers C&R if over the 50 year mark?

Mike Searson
03-24-2005, 9:23 AM
ANY gun that is over the 50 year mark is a C&R gun, regardless of what the list says.

Turbinator
03-24-2005, 9:51 AM
I'm a big fan, myself.. but have yet to own an FN HiPower! Wouldn't mind picking one up but they are always quite expensive at local stores. From all the reading I've done, some of the Inglis HP's are desirable because they come slotted for a shoulder stock, which you can legally use because of the age of the gun.

In SGN, the latest craze seems to be the Argentine HP's, with the Detective model apparently being very popular. This is the model with the shorter slide & barrel for CCW.

Turby

icormba
03-24-2005, 10:28 AM
I've got 2 & LOVE them!

1 FN HiPower with the SFS safety system
1 FEG (Hungary) Hi Power (made like the original)

Both are outstanding, I got both on Gunbroker "new" FN for $450 & got the FEG for $200. Had them for a few months now.

Thing thing that really sucks is that CDNN sells them BRAND new for just $429, but they won't ship ANY handguns to California http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif
But your dad lives in Az & he shouldn't have our issues.

xsquid
03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slowjon:
My dad, who lives in arizona has taken an interest in Hi Powers. What are the thoughts on which era guns were desireable as far as function/ reliability go? I have heard that the german ones during the war were not all that great. The inglis and "T" series are the ones that I see touted as being desireable. Also how are the current production browning Hi Powers? I might pick one up for myself. Thanks, Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pre '44 or so WWII German examples are some of the better ones, the late war ones became increasingly less desireable because of manufacturing problems due to Allied bombing of factories and sabotage by slave laborers. I have a '43 Hi-Power complete with matching SN#s and Waffenampts stamps, tangent sights with no cut out for a stock. Excellent fit and finish.

The Canadian Inglis made ones are usually parked and not blued. And most of the ones you see were made under a Chinese contract.

T series are desireable because they were both manufactured and assembled in Belgium.

You do see many that were manufactured in Belgium but assembled in Portugal.

Great article on the Hi-Power here. (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_199904/ai_n8844829)

bwiese
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Turby...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">some of the Inglis HP's are desirable because they come slotted for a shoulder stock, which you can legally use because of the age of the gun </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that may be Federally legal, is that legal in Calif???

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Turbinator
03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
While that may be Federally legal, is that legal in Calif??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent question, I won't purport to know the answer either - does anyone know?

Turby

icormba
03-24-2005, 11:36 AM
I remember someone talking about this before?
I actually thought it was Bill & it made a lot of sense at the time...
as long as the stock was original to the C&R gun, then it was ok? no after market replicas. which leaves you with trying to find some "hard to find" stuff and being able to tell the difference! yikes

I could be wrong though... maybe I saw that somewhere else? But I did see one selling at The Gun Exchange in San Jose a few months ago for about $1500-$3000 (can't remember the price, but it was in that range)

p.s. xsquid, GREAT article!

slowjon
03-24-2005, 6:14 PM
Thanks for all the input guys!

simonp
03-24-2005, 6:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
Turby...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">some of the Inglis HP's are desirable because they come slotted for a shoulder stock, which you can legally use because of the age of the gun </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While that may be Federally legal, is that legal in Calif???

Bill Wiese
San Jose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes they are legal, bought one with the shoulder stock last year.....

You cant go wrong with a Wartime, Inglis, T or Mark III Hi power. The T is the prettiest of them but if you pick up a Mark III and send it off to Yost it will come back as pretty as a T series. All of them shoot exceptionally, all of them will need a trigger job and to remove the magazine disconnecter otherwise they are some of the best out of the box guns.

-hanko
03-24-2005, 8:47 PM
+1 on dumping the magazine disconnect.

I rate HP's right up there with the CZ-75 as the two best 9mm's ever, and with no close contenders. An HP makes an ideal gun if you already have a 1911 as the manual of arms is identical.

All-Belgian guns have a nicer finish than later Belgian-Port guns, but the shoot just as well. Argentine FM's lack the lightening cuts on the sides of the slide and dust cover, and are nowhere near as graceful.

You won't regret getting one (or more). http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-hanko

Bongos
03-24-2005, 9:29 PM
69xxxx Serial numbered ones are rare since this was the year least hipowers were made. Forged frame HP are more desireable than the current production cast ones (you can tell by the bottom behind the mag well..if it is smooth,it forged, if it has little wiggly lines..it's cast) Don't get me wrong , the cast frames are fine, just that the forged ones are more desireable.

CraigC
03-24-2005, 10:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Khanh:
Don't get me wrong , the cast frames are fine, just that the forged ones are more desireable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How are the forged frames more desireable, other than collectors value? The reason why FN went to cast frames is because when they introduced the HP in .40, the forged frames they had been making could not withstand the added abuse that the .40 puts on the frame. They started making cast frames for the .40 that can withstand the higher battering, and as a cost-saving measure, made ALL of their frames the same way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">From http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/HiPowerComments.html

The cast frame is harder and tougher than the forged frame in the Hi Power. It has been reported that after about 2500 rounds of .40ammo, the forged frames would warp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>