PDA

View Full Version : Picking a stick in Cali

RobsterCraw
05-09-2005, 8:48 PM
Well I'm shiney new to the whole california gun scene so I had no idea about all the legal nonsense out here. I just seperated from the military and I only intend to shoot for sport (keep my skills up) and not for hunting or home defense. I'm only really comforable with military style rifles. As in rifles with a pistol grip. I recently ordered a FN FiveSeven USG and and thought I might get the FN FS2000 to compliment it. Or at least go with the tried and true civilian equivalent of my old M4. I was a tactical team instructor in the service and now I find that I can't get my usual kicks with CQB suitable weapons in Cali. If I had know it was going to be like this I would have taken up that offer to roll to Sniper School. Then I could just plug away with bolt action all day long and be happy with that. I suppose maybe this would be a good time to figure out this whole long range marksman stuff.

Anyway I'm trying to decide on a rifle and I would like one that I would be comfy with. Since my usual carbines and subguns are a no go, I figure I need the closest thing to it without buying something rediculous like a pump action AR. Otherwise I might just get a heavy barrel M14 or a Remmington700 and get into the long gun stuff.

I guess a mk 19 is out of the question. I guess I need to reenlist to play with the real toys.

RobsterCraw
05-09-2005, 8:48 PM
Well I'm shiney new to the whole california gun scene so I had no idea about all the legal nonsense out here. I just seperated from the military and I only intend to shoot for sport (keep my skills up) and not for hunting or home defense. I'm only really comforable with military style rifles. As in rifles with a pistol grip. I recently ordered a FN FiveSeven USG and and thought I might get the FN FS2000 to compliment it. Or at least go with the tried and true civilian equivalent of my old M4. I was a tactical team instructor in the service and now I find that I can't get my usual kicks with CQB suitable weapons in Cali. If I had know it was going to be like this I would have taken up that offer to roll to Sniper School. Then I could just plug away with bolt action all day long and be happy with that. I suppose maybe this would be a good time to figure out this whole long range marksman stuff.

Anyway I'm trying to decide on a rifle and I would like one that I would be comfy with. Since my usual carbines and subguns are a no go, I figure I need the closest thing to it without buying something rediculous like a pump action AR. Otherwise I might just get a heavy barrel M14 or a Remmington700 and get into the long gun stuff.

I guess a mk 19 is out of the question. I guess I need to reenlist to play with the real toys.

6172crew
05-09-2005, 9:09 PM
"What the Fvck is a Robstercraw?"

Great movie!

As far as carbines available in .223 or .308 you can go with the Fal, M1A, FAB10,Robinson Arms(without the pistol grip),Mini 14, SU16 and probably somthing else but those are a good start.

imported_DULLYJAY
05-09-2005, 9:12 PM
You can get a M1A like this one.
http://calguns.net/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/332609466/m/52710354221

RRangel
05-09-2005, 9:16 PM
Kel-Tec SU16CA maybe? It's cheaper than the M1A. They use AR mags. People are saying they're near the same accuracy of the M4 or AR.

The RA M96 is nice only there's no grip on it and they won't sell you one. For $1500 you may want to pass.

Mk 19? They don't sell HEDP at the ammo stores here in California.

esskay
05-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Given your background, if you want a semi-auto rifle I'd go straight to the M1A/M14 rifles. A nice LRB build would do the trick!

delloro
05-10-2005, 8:34 AM
for a gun with a PG, get a CA-legal FAL. you will have to reload 10 rds at a time with stripper clips, but they are made for that.

Rascal
05-10-2005, 8:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Technical Ted:
Get a job with a police or sheriff's department whose chief will sign off on an individual LEO purchase for an AR15 http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Instructor's credentials couldn't hurt or shouldn't go to waste. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like Teds idea