View Full Version : Inheriting guns in California

Dr. T
08-02-2005, 10:47 AM
My wife's father died in 1998. He left a number of guns to his kids, which have remained in his home. They were all purchased before 1980, and pre-date current laws. None is an AW. Most are handguns, mostly ca. 40 years old.
Can anyone tell me what the legal issues are with inheriting these? And secondly, about passing them on to our own children?

08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Handguns have to be registered to the new owner, assuming they live in California, and have the registration fees paid ($19/gun). The current owner may be considered to be the executor of the estate for purposes of transfer.

The form is here:

If they don't live in California, they usually have to be transferred through an FFL, but there may be an exception for bequests.

Any magazines with greater than 10 round capacity can't be transferred with the guns in California, and would have to be sold out of state, destroyed, thrown away, or disassembled and sold as parts.

The same applies to passing them on to your own children:

Long guns more than 50 years old can be handed over to anyone legally able to possess them without any FFL involvement.

08-02-2005, 9:25 PM
I actually did this this year.
They've changed it a little bit, it's now only $19 for all handguns - as many as are being transferred. I transferred 4 from my father's estate for $19.

PS And DOJ sends you a seperate letter for each handgun so you have some proof of it happening.

08-02-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm very glad to se it's $19 for any number of handguns. As my father is getting older and has health problems, I know one day when he unfortuantely passes away I will have to transfer maybe like 40-50 handguns to my name and if it was $19 each that would get mighty expensive or not worth it for a few of the guns like Ravens.