View Full Version : California to ban hunting over Internet

05-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Looks like us Californians will have to get off our butts to hunt and not sit in front of our computers to hunt.

From CNN:

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- Wildlife regulators took the first step Tuesday to bar hunters from using the Internet to shoot animals, responding to a Texas Web site that planned to let users fire at real game with the click of a mouse.

The Fish and Game Commission ordered wildlife officials to prepare emergency regulations to ban the practice. A period of public comment will follow.

"We don't think Californians should be able to hunt sitting at their computers at home," said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the state Department of Fish and Game.

A bill passed by the state Senate two weeks ago would prohibit use of computer-assisted hunting sites and ban the import or export of any animal killed using computer-assisted hunting. The measure now moves to the state Assembly.

At least 14 other states and Congress are considering similar bills.

Groups including the California Sportsmen's Association, Safari Club International and the Outdoor Sportsman's Coalition of California support the ban, saying hunting over the Internet is unethical and unsporting.

Supporters have suggested the remote hunting could be beneficial for hunters with disabilities and questioned why Californians should be barred from patronizing a legitimate Texas business.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

05-09-2005, 2:29 PM
Although words like "regulation" and "legislation" annoy the crap out of me, this I actually understand.
If you want to shoot stuff using your computer, then get a video game.

05-09-2005, 3:07 PM
Personally I would never "Hunt" over the internet. And I really can't see a big market for this. All laws like this do is great the "I gots to get me one of dose things" factor.

However I don't see where the state has any business telling me what to do in the first place. This is just another Hippy BS law.

05-09-2005, 5:58 PM
Does this mean I have to give back my Predator drone?

05-10-2005, 2:43 AM
On a more serious note, can an argument be made to let the severely disabled hunt over the internet?

06-06-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't think there would be much interest for severely disabled folks to hunt over the internet in the first place, much less needing an argument to allow it.

I see it this way - if a person starts out life healthy and normal, learns to appreciate hunting and partakes regularly, he or she has a deep involvement in the activity. I believe it is from this deep involvement that the pleasure of the hunt is derived.

Now, let's suppose years later, along comes an accident that disables our hunting hero or heroine. Let's assume the accident precludes this person from ever getting out into the field again, and let's assume there is an internet hunting site available to allow this person to "hunt" again.

My argument would be that any person who truly enjoyed hunting probably enjoyed every aspect of it - from planning the excursion, to selecting equipment, and going out into the field to smell the air, feel the sun, and see the foliage sway in the breeze. Internet hunting takes away all of that, pretty much not really making it hunting at all.

A true hunter, I think, would frown heavily upon this idea and would shun it completely - pretty much making this internet hunting appeal non-existent to true hunters.

In a way, it would become a self-regulating business - it would go away due to a lack of interest.

Just my opinion..