PDA

View Full Version : Man shoots attacker at Oakland home

Steyr_223
02-26-2005, 2:59 PM
Defending his turf
An Oakland man, after enduring harassment from drug dealers for years, decides to 'take my safety in my own hands' and shoots an attacker

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/26/MNGKVBHHQ11.DTL

Steyr_223
02-26-2005, 2:59 PM
Defending his turf
An Oakland man, after enduring harassment from drug dealers for years, decides to 'take my safety in my own hands' and shoots an attacker

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/02/26/MNGKVBHHQ11.DTL

redhead
02-26-2005, 3:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> McCullough was arrested on suspicion of felony assault and is free on $15, 000 bail. Prosecutors are deciding whether to file charges against him or any of his assailants. McCullough has no criminal record and does not need a permit to keep the gun, which he purchased legally, on his property. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, that's standard procedure. Arrest the person who defended himself.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Lt. Lawrence Green, who oversees patrols in North Oakland, is urging prosecutors to charge the wounded 17-year-old and some of his friends with felony assault. Green said the family of the 17-year-old has urged prosecutors to charge McCullough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How special - the family of the perps want the man who defended himself to be charged. I'm sure he's a nice boy, though. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Green and other officers have advised McCullough to move away. But he and his wife, Daphne, refuse, saying they can't afford to buy a new place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sort of thing just leaves me speechless.

Charliegone
02-26-2005, 5:30 PM
You know these kind of things are happening in England too and still gun control advocates keep saying "ban em' all look at England and their crime rates." By the way do look at them according to the Home office crime is up 8%?!? Hey wait I thought gun control was suppose to work? Oh yeah the criminals have guns. Duh! Why didn't we think of that! Now on a serious note, seriously these people (gun control adv.) will ruin American life if we don't stop them, so lets vote as many as we can out of office!

LongBch_SigP226
02-26-2005, 6:18 PM
I'm in a similar situation as the guy on the article so I know how he feels. I've reported drug activities to local Police maybe a year ago. Police did some raids on the neighboring property but they are back at selling dopes on the street again. I don't know if it was retaliation but couple kids hopped the fence and came into our property and vandalized cars here. I don't think these guys are hardcore gang members, just couple kids trying to make some money. But still, as a property owner, I can't tolerate that in my neighborhood.

It's hard to keep up with the California housing market. My income is not going up 20% per year but real estate here in SoCal is. Being a single male in the early 30s, I don't make crap in terms of income. My current place is all I could afford. If cops told me to shut up and just move, I would be extremely upset. Here i am busting my *** off, working long hours to pay the bills to go after that American dream. I could've continued renting and living in better part of the city but I made more money owning a house than working or renting that's for sure.

Why do perpetrators become victims in this country? We should be doing better job of punishing those that commit crimes, making them feel miserable, making them feel cornered, making them leave this state or country. We need to set up convicted gang members and dope dealers database like Megan's law database for pedophiles. They all are not welcomed in my neighborhood. We should also setup a system so that "good people" are rewarded, such as issuing more CCW permits, and laws preventing countersuits by perpertrators turned victims.

I sleep sound knowing that I got a 12 gauge, .45acp pistol, and a big dog to protect me when needed. Better days are yet to come.

Turbinator
02-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Well said, Ding. We've definitely come to a sad state of affairs in today's society. It's a shame to say, but it's almost easier to be a criminal, because you know that if you ever get arrested or are caught, you have rights that are upheld. The honest citizens here apparently have no rights.

Turby

redhead
02-27-2005, 4:23 PM
Mr. McCullough will be interviewed this afternoon on Barbara Simpson's show on ksfo 560 am. If you'r not in the Bay Area, you can stream the show at ksfo.com. Her show runs from 4 pm to 7 pm Saturdays and Sundays, and she announced it a few minute ago, but I didn't catch what time Mr. McCullough was going to be on. I'll post an update when I hear it.

redhead
02-27-2005, 6:09 PM
Mr. McCullough is on now.

KSFO 560 am

Draven
02-27-2005, 9:15 PM
I bet the parents of the 17-year-old punk he shot are maintaining on all the Bay Area TV stations how their son is a saint....

6172crew
02-27-2005, 9:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Draven32:
I bet the parents of the 17-year-old punk he shot are maintaining on all the Bay Area TV stations how their son is a saint.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the parents should look in to a law that protects eveyone who steals firearms, property, or takes from thers. Then we would be safe and have no need to defend ourselves.

Semper Fidelis= All ways faithfull
Semper Gumby= All ways flexable

As a Old man of 2 Id have to say the law should be on the side of me and my .223

redhead
02-28-2005, 6:52 AM
IF I heard Mr. McCullogh correctly, the punk that he shot isn't being charged for assaulting him because "he already has a hole in him", and apparently, the powers that be think that is adequate punishment for his behavior.

redhead
02-28-2005, 8:02 AM
Neighbors, cops back "snitch" in shooting (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1352390/posts)

This url goes to FreeRepublic.com. I wanted to post the link to the Oakland Tribute story, but for some reason, the link wouldn't open. You can read the story at this link. Here we have a situation where the punk is being supported against the homeowner.

Oakland Tribune (http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_2587783)

While I was typing the reply, the Tribune story opened, so I posted that link, as well.