PDA

View Full Version : NorCal camping areas?

PrudentGT
06-01-2005, 1:18 PM
Okay, I know this is last minute, but I'm planning on going camping tomorrow and the next day. Originally I was thinking of going to Big Basin, but I doubt seriously that they'd let me do random plinking out there. Anyone know of any good BLM spots in/near the Bay Area that are reasonably accessible (i.e. park car, hike an hour or so)? Driving directions & GPS coords would be helpful!

-hanko
06-01-2005, 4:19 PM
Head toward Cherry Lake from hiway 120 & try the large meadow near the rock quarry by Jawbone falls. Good roads all the way but out there far enough that you'll usually be by yourself. You can get directions at the ranger station in Oakdale. Shooting definitely possible in the quarry.

-hanko

PrudentGT
06-01-2005, 4:59 PM
Cool! Thanks for the reply. Looking at the 'teaser' maps from BLM, I see there's an area around SE San Benito, which might be a little closer. I know this is really a stretch given the *extensive* planning I've given this, but anyone have any info on that area?

TonyM
06-01-2005, 6:06 PM
Originally posted by PrudentGT:
Cool! Thanks for the reply. Looking at the 'teaser' maps from BLM, I see there's an area around SE San Benito, which might be a little closer. I know this is really a stretch given the *extensive* planning I've given this, but anyone have any info on that area?

My friend goes down there, as he lives in Hollister. We called the Hollister BLM office and they told us it was closed for shooting until sometime late this year due to it being fire season.