PDA

View Full Version : Paint in dots on pistol front and rear sights

ronas
06-04-2009, 4:19 PM
Pistol is a Beretta 92 FS Front sight has red dot in it and rear has two red dots. I just can not focus on or even see the sights very well anymore.

What is the advisability of painting the red dots a different color, like white for example? If it might help to paint them what should I use? Nail polish?

Gryff
06-04-2009, 4:29 PM
I painted the dots on my XD45. Blacked out the rear and changed the front to red.

I used Testor's Model Paint. Worked out pretty well.

There's a thread on here somewhere where a poster details the color mix he used to get the brightest "red" (something like fluorescent orange, pink and white), but I can't locate.

The good news...if you don't like it, you can always remove the paint.

The bad news...not overly rugged. You'll probably have to touch it up every six months or so if you use the Testor's paint.

uxo2
06-04-2009, 4:57 PM
try these
http://nitesiters.com/

motorhead
06-05-2009, 7:27 AM
i read an article years ago about poor man's night sights. crack open a cheap glow-in-the-dark compass. surgically extract dots with an xacto knife. superglue on sights. i haven't tried this put it sounds doable.

crob241
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I have been using nitesiters for a couple years, they come in two sizes, dots or bars and dots. They are very visable in low or no light. Another good product is from Brownell`s called site cote. The nice thing about it is that it has a needle tip applicator and comes in red, white or orange, costs $12.95, I mill a small 1/8 dot on front and rear sights so there is a good indent for the paint to go into.

motorhead
06-06-2009, 9:05 AM
got a link for nitesiters?
someone on the 'files did a test of the paint on night sight stuff. results were mediochre.

ThatFishGuy
06-06-2009, 11:05 AM
I just painted the sights on my 1911 and XD9. they were all white before. (the white background helps the colors seem brighter). did the 2 rear dots green and the front red. It is MUCH easier for me to find the front sight and get it on target. I used acrylic paint i had lying around from old classes. the green is just bright enough but the red is super bright. i just used a tiny paint brush and a q-tip to wipe the paint that got outside of the dots. a toothpick would work too. If you care the exact colors are LIQUETEX Napthol Crimson (red) and Light Green, Permanent (green). both can be had at any art supply store or Michaels craft store. PM if you need to, i might be able to send you some.

Suvorov
06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
Really, I just use Testors enamel flat white. Degrease the sight before you apply and then apply with a fine point brush or even a tooth pick and let dry. I don't know what kind of paint they use at the factories, but the Testors enamel should hold up to minor brushes with cleaning solvents, just be careful not to get too much solvent on them.

Do you have a 92 INOX? Every single Bruniton or Blue finish 92FS I have ever seen has white front sights. The INOX have a red dot on the front sight because the white does not contrast as well with the stainless steel as red. If you do have an INOX, one option I would consider is to paint the front sight black before coloring the dot white.

ronas
06-11-2009, 6:00 AM
Do you have a 92 INOX?

I do have an INOX.

So you're saying to paint the front sight, black and then put white paint in just the dot?

Also my rear sight has two red dots. Should I just leave those alone?

ronas
06-12-2009, 7:10 AM
I used testors. Painted blade part of sight flat black and used sublime green for dot. Looks good. I am going to wait 3 or 4 days for the paint to cure. Hopefully it will be durable.

RANDO
06-12-2009, 10:48 PM
use a paint pen, just wipe the sights with alcohol to clean them first. and dont push too hard

motorhead
06-14-2009, 5:43 PM
I used testors. Painted blade part of sight flat black and used sublime green for dot. Looks good. I am going to wait 3 or 4 days for the paint to cure. Hopefully it will be durable.

i like it.