PDA

View Full Version : A CALL TO ARMS (OFFICE)

Texas Boy
06-04-2009, 1:24 AM
After reading the very excellent thread on "Why do we fight for 2A rights" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=190389&page=4) and watching the series "John Adams" I've decided that we must do more than file lawsuits and call legislatures.
We need Calgunners to run for office!

Judging from the writings I've seen in this forum, there are some excellent minds here who understand the true meaning of liberty, people who understand that a state who can take our 2A rights can take everything, people who realize government left unchecked will grow and control all aspects of our lives. We need people like this in office - to reign government in and constrain it to the bounds and ideals set forth by our founding fathers. And we need these people at all levels of government - from city counsels to the President of the United States of America.

I'd like to dedicate this thread to identifying offices we can win and the people who can win them. Make no mistake, this is a long term goal, but I firmly believe there is enough talent and determination on this forum that we can elevate some of our people into office. Just imagine having one of our own in the state assembly on a key committee. Until we change the makeup of the legislature we will be fighting an endless battle of law suits and creative assaults on our freedoms.

So how about it? What seats are most vulnerable? Where do we have the highest concentration of callgunners? Who among us is best qualified to be elected? Lets discuss ideas for organizing and move forward!

nick
06-04-2009, 1:31 AM
The problem is that the people we'd like to see elected due to the great qualities they possess are unelectable because of these very qualities; whereas the people who are likely to be elected are so electable precisely because of the qualities we wouldn't want to see in a public official :)

How do you elect a decent person?

SnipeShot
06-04-2009, 1:32 AM
A whole new non corrupt government would be a nice start.

phamkl
06-04-2009, 2:12 AM
It's going to be tough to be a Calgunner in CA running for office but you ought to do it like most good, honest, hardworking people - start from the ground up. City council to mayor/assembly person to state senate, to governor...

Man, imagine having a Calgunner as governor! Things would get real ugly real fast. Forget about the tax problems we're having now - there'll be legislature that mandates state government paid AR variant(s) (or AK... depending on whoever gets there first) in every household.

383green
06-04-2009, 2:19 AM
Man, imagine having a Calgunner as governor! Things would get real ugly real fast. Forget about the tax problems we're having now - there'll be legislature that mandates state government paid AR variant(s) (or AK... depending on whoever gets there first) in every household.

Not if y'all elect me. I'm an anarcho-libertarian. I wouldn't mandate that anybody does anything, and my idea of a balanced budget is "nothing in, nothing out". Buy your own danged ARs or AKs, ya danged hippies :D

thatrogue
06-04-2009, 2:24 AM
Not if y'all elect me. I'm an anarcho-libertarian. I wouldn't mandate that anybody does anything, and my idea of a balanced budget is "nothing in, nothing out". Buy your own danged ARs or AKs, ya danged hippies :D

:):):):)... Ahh freedom

Bugei
06-04-2009, 8:45 AM

Put that in the election pamphlet as your candidate statement and you got my vote. Make sure to add "Alias 383green" so I'll know which anarcho-libertarian I'm trying to vote for.

PatriotnMore
06-04-2009, 8:54 AM
I actually think this is a good idea.

Will Calguns will get behind this, is another issue.

Yes it will be tough, but lets not let that keep us from trying.

We do have some excellent people here, we are diverse in which parts of the State we live in, we have people and resources to help, and we can be a source for support financially, and physically for campaigns.

In addition, what better time to start then now? The State and country are in a financial mess, and there are many who want a return to Constitutional principals of government.

Sowing the seeds now, will reap the bounty latter.

M. D. Van Norman
06-04-2009, 9:18 AM
I would consider it once my daughter is a few years older, though I don’t particularly like the idea of spending large amounts of time in Sacramento or D.C. I am a fair diplomat, but I’m probably not electable. I’m sure my positions on the issues would offend too many “liberals” and “conservatives,” and I’m not willing to play the games necessary for major party support.

popeye4
06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Won't happen in my area (Santa Cruz county). You have to pass through the local Politburo for approval before they'll put you on the ballot. Got to start at dog catcher, then if you are pure, you get to move up gradually.

Up here in the mountains, the Demoncats get 65% of the votes, the Libertarians get 25% of the votes, and the Republicrats get 10% of the votes....

I look at local politics for its entertainment value, but have no hope that sanity will ever prevail here.

KCM222
06-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I nominate Gene for emperor of California.

But seriously, the key to winning local elections is to have a specific plan or vision about a local issue.

From what I have seen local government elections aren't about abortion, gun rights, or any other hot national topic. Local elections are about what your position is regarding the proposed development on "X" street.

Keep the platform specific and don't divulge anything related to the 2A.

Davidwhitewolf
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
It's going to be tough to be a Calgunner in CA running for office but you ought to do it like most good, honest, hardworking people - start from the ground up. City council to mayor/assembly person to state senate, to governor...

Stepping to the plate here.... My wife serves on a local City Council Advisory board, and I recently applied for a position on a different such City Council advisory board. They're unpaid positions, and require a few hours each month, but they can be stepping stones eventually.

What's impressed me about the Calguns community the most is the emphasis on long-term views and strategies. This thread is a great idea. Just think, if 100 Calgunners all volunteered in their local government bodies tomorrow, then five years from now we'd have a pretty good bench of folks with enough experience that a few would be able to mount credible campaigns for county supervisor or maybe even Assembly.

7x57
06-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Buy your own danged ARs or AKs, ya danged hippies :D

:rofl:

Though, truthfully, the actual US system isn't that Libertarian. Very early, perhaps before the Revolution (I don't feel like checking), there were provisions for providing a duty weapon to those too poor to purchase a weapon for militia duty.

Here is my stab at the reasoning: first, in real terms a gun was far more expensive then than a tricked-out AR now. Guns were made by skilled craftsmen, who did things we can't afford to do in mass-market guns like hand-lapping the barrel (I don't know how widespread lapping was, but I suspect very wide because it's a huge win for blackpowder arms because of fouling and because it's probably a much smaller part of the total cost of an entirely handmade weapon. Second, this was not an arm of right but one of duty; you were *required* to own it (and ammo), care for it, and show up for militia duty with it. A requirement for a poor man to own a weapon that could easily be a year's wages is itself oppressive.

Note that I am specifically distinguishing between duty and right. Your duty weapon and training is at the state's discretion, and after the Constitution was ratified ultimately at the Federal government's discretion.

However, I'm entitled by the 2A to buy any *other* weapon I want, and *that* is at my own expense and would merit a "get a job, hippie" response if I want something I can't afford.

You may now start throwing eggs for giving a serious answer to an amusing flip remark. But as long as we're campaigning for office, I hereby declare my candidacy.

Don't vote for my opponent 393green; he plans an illegal taking of your salary for your duty weapon. Like any anarchist, he will allow the militia to fall into neglect as it did in our early history! We don't need neglect--we need to invigorate the gun culture! I am that man, ladies and gentleman, and my esteemed opponent, for all his many admirable qualities, is not.

If elected, I promise to carefully and slowly (so as not to compromise the fighting strength of the army at any given time) to draw down the regular army in peacetime to a training corps for the militia, provide elite units, and the like, and to decentralize training so that there is a facility in every town, probably combined with local National Guard armories where feasible (the Navy and AF are not well-suited to the militia system--I envision a much more limited program there). The National Guard, being a select militia, shall be regarded as part of the standing army and not of the general militia. Every able-bodied male (the question of the female draft is still under study) will be required to enlist in his county militia when he is eligible to vote (both being precisely the definition of a full citizen) and undergo mandatory weekend training. Men above mandatory service age shall have the citizen's right to serve voluntarily in a position appropriate to their physical condition as long as they are members of the unorganized militia, which shall continue until at least age forty. Legal residents on a path to citizenship shall remain militiamen in good standing as a condition of citizenship.

Each militiaman will have to privately purchase, own, and maintain his complete infantry kit, which shall include the standard issue weapon specified by the army. However, in cases of hardship the army will provide financial assistance. This shall initially consist of temporary issue from army stores, however militiamen who demonstrate appropriate discipline and behavior will in time receive assistance toward purchasing his rifle in the form of low-interest loans, grants, or other assistance deemed best fit by the four-star general in charge of the militia (and who always chairs the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as the militia is the most important arm of the military).

Training shall be done on a city-by-city or county-by-county basis and shall take place, when feasible, in a park or town square in full view of the citizenry. Militiamen in good standing and in uniform (whether on duty or off) shall receive the same honors and privileges as regular army soldiers.

The Department of Defense shall be renamed the Department of War, as namby-pamby euphemisms are for the oppressed slaves of foreign tyrrany and not for plain-speaking honest citizens. No troops in excess of one hundred combat soldiers shall be committed to action on foreign soil without express authorization by Congress, as provided in the Constitution. To be clear for the hard of thinking, police actions are defined as an act of war and require Congressional authorization. While taking no position on the moral status of preemptive action without Congress' authority, there is no Constitutional mechanism enabling it.

All military actions of the United States shall include elements of the general militia; as the primary combatants, when possible, with the standing army providing oversight and a leavening of elite troops, but in any case as trainees and support troops at a minimum. Wars too politically risky to commit citizen soldiers to are too politically risky to be engaged in by the United States. When part of the militia is called up it shall be a random selection among all those militiamen who meet any unambiguous operational criteria (such as minimum length of training) from the entire population covered by the governmental unit raising the militia (i.e. county activation is county-wide, state activation is state-wide, etc.). The first pool shall consist of immediate family members of elected officials and politicians of the United States, then of the states, then of the local governments. Should the ranks still not be filled the remainder shall be called at random from the general militia.

I have some pretty choice campaign planks about non-duty arms and about how precisely the Constitution shall be interpreted by the Department of Justice and by nominees to the bench, but I think the above is enough to ensure I lose any election so perhaps they are irrelevant. :rolleyes:

7x57

HunterJim
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I recommend using Robert A. Heinlein's Take Back Your Government as a handbook if you want to work the political system. The real heavy lifting as the political class term it begins well before running for an elective office.

Some of the book is dated now, but the "how to" will still work.

jim

http://www.amazon.com/Take-Back-Government-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0671721577/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244145375&sr=8-1

Davidwhitewolf
06-04-2009, 2:46 PM
Good point; that's a great book.

Texas Boy
06-04-2009, 4:14 PM
Thanks HunterJim! Looks like a must read.

Judging from the posts so far, looks like at least some share the vision, and others like Davidwhitewolf have already started down the path. Yes, this is not a quick fix nor are we likely to win the next Governor's race - but we can get there one day if we lay the groundwork now. The first step is building a network here within Calguns of people interested in making this happen. Only by pulling together and sharing ideas can we formulate successful strategies.

Perhaps we could convince Gene to open up a new section on Calguns - say the political action area. We could have threads for different areas, and people who decided to run for office - or who decided we needed to support or oppose a particular person in a particular office could announce there. The key is organizing. How else are we going to know that we have a significant membership in an otherwise hostile district? We could also have highly qualified people that were already considering a run for office and just need our support to get going. Or perhaps there is a great candidate already in the race who we could support.

So lets keep the ideas coming, but focus on the first steps. How do we organize and harness the energy and talent among us?

command_liner
06-04-2009, 4:57 PM
Running for office -- and winning -- is just like any other job or task.
You need a plan, time, budget, strategy and a team.

I ran for office once, and tried to get appointed a bit later, so I have
first hand experience. I ran for Fountain Valley City Council and lost
by wide margin. But, I got the best cost-per-vote by a wider margin,
and could have won if I spent more.

For a small city, consider the minimum budget $5000. You need to
write your strategy piece for the sample ballot, and that costs $500.
Filing fees are fairly low. Campaign literature and signs will run a few
thousand dollars. Then come the "slate mailer" people. They will
hit you up for $ and promise the world. Forget it.

Instead, film a series of YouTube commercials, and put references to
the commercials on fliers you hand out yourself. Go meet everybody.
Put a flier on every door. This will take you months. You will need
to walk a few hundred miles carrying fliers and looking good. Get good
boots. Practice a short speech and say it any time anybody answers
the door.

**Very Important** Work with the NRA to get your name on the orange
card that gets sent out before the election. Join your local MC. Spend
time with your zone coordinator. Thousands and thousands of orange
cards go out per zip code.

Have a web site, but keep it simple.

You will get questionnaires from every wacko group on earth. Answer
them all truthfully. This will take tens of hours. You can write a good
response if you work at it. Consider these responses carefully and do
a good job, as they will be published and will be around forever. If you
refuse to answer any wacko group, they will publish that you refused
to answer, and will just publish what somebody there thinks you think
about some issue.

Well, that is the budget, time and strategy. The team is whoever
you can round up. The team has to help you with the fliers, honest
review of speeches, prep for the questionnaires, mailing, looking good,
smiling and timing.

dwa
06-04-2009, 5:00 PM
ive got to finish college get my commision retire and then im your man.

GuyW
06-04-2009, 5:03 PM
.... My wife serves on a local City Council Advisory board, and I recently applied for a position on a different such City Council advisory board. They're unpaid positions, and require a few hours each month, but they can be stepping stones eventually.

Exactly, Dave.

I spent many years on a City Building Advisory and Appeals Board (legally mandated by the International Building Code and Uniform Building Code), was a LAFCO public member, and then became a City Planning Commissioner.

There are typically also Library Boards, Personnel Boards, Traffic Commissions, etc. that may dovetail with your interests or talents. Counties also have these boards and commissions (so you may have 2 shots at a board/commission).

A BIG advantage is that these boards and commissions allow you to meet and learn about your local politicians and local issues in a way that's impossible via TV and newspaper.

That interaction can lead to the ability to really talk with these folks in a way that is sometimes not available to the average voter. That means that you have actual input (whether its followed or not...) It also makes it easy to get involved in political campaigns, and learn the ropes....

Further, you can learn much more about how local government functions, and knowledge is always good.

Don't forget that there are also Water Districts, Fire Districts, school districts, hospital districts and other agencies with elected officials and various volunteer boards.

Get involved - its really not that scary, and you can help shape your community.

The world is run by those who show up...

Theseus
06-04-2009, 7:11 PM
Theseus for LA County Sheriff! Haha!!

I wanted to run for something in Alhambra. . . Figure what is the point of merely being an outside activist?

Plus I think it will be fun to use my Federal lawsuit funds to run for public office. .. haha.(I know, pipe dream.)

wolf13
06-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Planning on trying to run for a city position once I am done with college, and have a job lined up.

Davidwhitewolf
06-05-2009, 2:23 PM
Good for you! If you're planning on staying in Davis, though....

I'll put it this way as a former resident of Davis: If you want to be elected with pro-gun views, be prepared to keep them low-key as you work your way through various city positions until you can run for a Yolo County office and tap those non-Davis voters.