PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Amendment Quotes

ThisHero
06-04-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm writing a paper about the 2nd-A, and I've been sorting through quite a few to end with. Something relatively short, poignant, and powerful. Do you guys have any suggestions? My leading candidate so far goes, "The second amendment is the only amendment that protects all the others". I can't trace who said it, only that I remember reading it somewhere here in someone's signature.

Oh, I'm aiming for a quote that's a little more diplomatic sounding than the typical "From my cold dead hands!" type quote. I have to present this thing, so I want to come across as rational as possible.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

sorensen440
06-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Its a bit long but I like it

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
-- Thomas Jefferson
If your willing can you post the paper you wrote ?

Sobriquet
06-04-2009, 12:40 AM
"The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize congress
to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable
citizens .... from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

"Only an armed people can be truly free.
Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look
upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. - Thomas Jefferson

"Our peculiar security is in the possession of a written Constitution.
Let us not make it a blank paper by construction." ~ Thomas Jefferson

My personal favorite:

"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficent... The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well meaning but without understanding." - Justice Louis Brandeis

TheDM
06-04-2009, 2:49 AM
This is a great list someone has put on their home page.

http://home.comcast.net/~klodowski/quotes.html

Mulay El Raisuli
06-04-2009, 5:54 AM
I'm writing a paper about the 2nd-A, and I've been sorting through quite a few to end with. Something relatively short, poignant, and powerful. Do you guys have any suggestions? My leading candidate so far goes, "The second amendment is the only amendment that protects all the others". I can't trace who said it, only that I remember reading it somewhere here in someone's signature.

Oh, I'm aiming for a quote that's a little more diplomatic sounding than the typical "From my cold dead hands!" type quote. I have to present this thing, so I want to come across as rational as possible.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Well, its not short, but there might be something in this link that fits what you are looking for.

The Raisuli

http://www.catb.org/esr/guns/gun-ethics.html

Untamed1972
06-04-2009, 7:01 AM
This is a great list someone has put on their home page.

http://home.comcast.net/~klodowski/quotes.html

It is amazing reading those quotes that anyone, including judges of all the land, can try and argue that the framers intended 2A to ONLY be a state right for the forming of formal militias.

Their words and the intent of their words are so simple and clear. To argue anything else but an individual right is just choosing to ignore the plain truth in front of your face to serve your own purposes.

gregorylucas
06-04-2009, 7:57 AM
A little off topic but not much:

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

Is probably one of my favorite of the founding fathers quotes.

GenLee
06-04-2009, 8:31 AM
It is amazing reading those quotes that anyone, including judges of all the land, can try and argue that the framers intended 2A to ONLY be a state right for the forming of formal militias.

Their words and the intent of their words are so simple and clear. To argue anything else but an individual right is just choosing to ignore the plain truth in front of your face to serve your own purposes.

I couldn't agree more!!

bodger
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM

I second that! Well said.

In my opinion, the Second Amendment is plain and simple. And to interpret, alter, second-guess or otherwise denigrate what it says is tantamount to treason.
We're lucky that there are still many states that have not trampled on the rights of the people to the extent that California lawmakers have over the years.

DDT
06-04-2009, 1:06 PM
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -Benjamin Franklin

One of my favorites too.

also, Heinlein's "An armed society is a polite society."

ColdDeadHands1
06-04-2009, 7:52 PM
"They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands!"

SimpleCountryActuary
06-04-2009, 8:00 PM
"They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands!"

That's C.H., also known as Mr. Heston.

oddball
06-04-2009, 8:05 PM
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
"By calling attention to 'a well regulated militia,' the 'security' of the nation, and the right of each citizen 'to keep and bear arms,' our founding fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the Second Amendment, will ever be a major danger to our nation, the Amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic civilian-military relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of his country. For that reason I believe the Second Amendment will always be important."

John F. Kennedy, 1960

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/oddballphoto/jfklttr0561lrg.jpg

jamesob
06-04-2009, 8:48 PM
here is my favorite " you got to ask yourself, did he fire 6 or only 5? well do you feel lucky punk, well do you?" not verbatim but close. lol.

djm315
06-04-2009, 9:10 PM

7x57
06-04-2009, 9:14 PM
Some of the most popular quotes are fiction. Take the time to check your quotes here (http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-8.html) to make sure you don't accidentally use a quote that isn't a quote.

7x57

Deadred7o7
06-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Its kind of to late for this one but it gets to the point.

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380.

A nother good site to look around at is http://www.guncite.com/index.html

Model X
06-05-2009, 3:18 AM
::edit:: never mind, too stupid to read the thread before i post.

lomalinda
06-05-2009, 4:50 AM
Make sure to verify the quotes that you're using. There are many "quotes" that are either inaccurate or simply made up. This ultimately gets found out and lessens the credibility of the whole 2A movement.

Good luck!

Midian
06-05-2009, 5:07 AM
"an armed man is a free man, an unarmed man is slave"

me

or maybe someone earlier

Mulay El Raisuli
06-05-2009, 5:50 AM
Some of the most popular quotes are fiction. Take the time to check your quotes here (http://www.thegunzone.com/rkba/rkba-8.html) to make sure you don't accidentally use a quote that isn't a quote.

7x57

Thank you! Regrettably, I see many false quotes from the Founding Fathers are used as tag lines here.

But, I did see one real quote worth repeating:

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government

Lets compare this with an exchange during the oral arguments in the Chicago gun case:

"Judge Posner: What does ordered liberty mean?

Judge Easterbrook: (chuckles)

Benna Solomon: It means the ability of people to live together in society considering the rights of all of them, in the way that the legislature determines it to be most appropriate at any given time."

Totally aside from 2A issues, the Chicago city fathers have no problem at all in "determining" what is an "appropriate" way of life for people. I think that Chicago is already at the point that Ayn Rand feared. I hope that this doesn't spread any further.

The Raisuli

Glock22Fan
06-05-2009, 7:32 AM
You can find some here (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/quotes.html). I have to admit I haven't checked them all against the sources linked above, but they all came to me from reasonable authorities.

If anyone recognizes a dubious one, please notify me (politely) and I will correct.