View Full Version : What are laws / pitfalls of holding weapons for Navy friend?

06-03-2009, 10:45 PM
He's doing recruiter duty in a small town a few hundred miles away and living in a crappy area. Until he's got better permanent quarters and arrangements, he's asked and I've agreed to hold his firearms. They're secured in my RSC and I have his verbal permission to use them whenever I wish.
Should I get some sort of signed letter stating I hold them with his permission? I imagine that would would be something worth keeping with them on a range trip in case of a potential traffic stop or other occurrence where I'd need to show ownership (or guardianship).
I believe CA allows a 'loan' of a firearm for IIRC 30 days, but don't have a cite handy.
And is this even considered a 'loan'? Not as far as I'm concerned, I've got equivalent arms to all of his.
They are all long guns.

06-04-2009, 6:28 AM
Yes, it would be considered a loan unless he locked them up in a container that you didn't have access to. 30 days is correct. Unless he did a voluntary registration, they wouldn't show up in the system. You don't need a letter but, it couldn't hurt.

06-04-2009, 8:13 AM
I would just get the letter so someone who does not know the law does not give you a hard time.

06-04-2009, 10:42 AM
You could just make him sign a lease agreement to use X number of cubic inches for $1 per year in your RSC for the storage of his firearms and then you should be good to go.

06-04-2009, 11:23 AM
You would also be liable for their loss from fire, theft, etc.

06-04-2009, 1:18 PM
You would also be liable for their loss from fire, theft, etc.

Hence the lease agreement would have a waiver releasing you from the responsibility for their loss due to fire, theft, act of god, etc. :)

06-04-2009, 2:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I'm not worried about any trouble from the friend whatsoever. I'm more concerned with keeping The Man at bay.
Now I'm wondering if I should just have him sign several letters, each post-dated for a subsequent month to cover the 30 day aspect, or just trouble him for a fresh one each month, or just have him do one that's undated.
Very low-order probability that it would ever be needed. Just want the coverage in case.