PDA

View Full Version : letter to state reps: cut BOF & others

HunterJim
06-03-2009, 3:16 PM
I sent this to my state reps this afternoon. I know they will be happy to hear my ideas...jim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear (politician),

I am very concerned that our Legislature cannot get our state's spending under control. I suggest that you folks in Sacramento could start by: eliminating support for illegal immigrants; by eliminating state programs that duplicate federal programs; and contracting out some functions.

Our state spends too much money on benefits for illegal immigrants and their children. I understand that this may be as much as $16 billion a year. Please eliminate any such spending.

Our state duplicates federal functions such as OSHA and EPA and many others. Please take a look at cutting the duplication as we have to pay for the feds anyway.

Also the state's Bureau of Firearms duplicates function done for free by the federal government such as background checks for buying guns. Please have the BOF budget and mission adjusted to eliminate this duplication to no good benefit to us.

I was President and CEO of a private business in San Diego when we bid on and won the opportunity to provide administrative services for a local agency. We were able to provide more responsive service while saving 30% to 40%. My company still does that work although I am retired.

thank you...LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
Constituent

Hanniballs
06-03-2009, 3:26 PM
Not gonna happen..

elenius
06-03-2009, 3:27 PM
Do you have a source for the $16bn figure? I've been wondering how much that costs myself...

HunterJim
06-03-2009, 5:27 PM
I heard it from Glen Beck, but I don't have a source.

I am sure my electeds will correct me if it is wildly off...jim

HunterJim
06-06-2009, 4:34 PM
Arnie is in the news today (Saturday) saying our illegals are worth the $4 Billion California spends on supporting them.

jim

halifax
06-06-2009, 7:08 PM
It's not a bad idea but it ain't going to happen. No one has the will or authority to eliminate all the waste that has accumulated through poor legislation over the last 40+ years. Laws, agencies, boards, and commissions are created with the best of intentions by less-than-clear-thinking lawmakers. Once created, they bloat and take on a life of their own. Like Frankenstein's monster, it will take the people marching with pitchforks and torches to kill it. But this is CA, so that ain't going to happen either.

Satex
06-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I believe that our State representatives are so out of touch that they have decided to shut their ears and avoid listening to us subjects. Has anyone tried to send Senator Hollingsworth a fax in the last several months. ALL of his fax lines have been offline.

HunterJim
06-07-2009, 8:26 AM
If Arnold admits to $4B to $5B, I would go with $12B. Obviously overspending caused the budget problem, but illegal immigrant caused spending would be a nice chunk to eliminate...jim
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Governor blasts budget 'myth'
Don't blame deficits on services for illegal immigrants, he says.
Published online on Saturday, Jun. 06, 2009
By Kevin Yamamura / The Sacramento Bee
SACRAMENTO -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has disputed claims that illegal immigrants caused California's $24.3 billion deficit, while he praised their economic contributions and said he is "happy" they have access to services.

The Republican governor, answering wide-ranging questions from The Sacramento Bee's editorial board and its readers, also vented about roadblocks to his authority posed by political foes and warned that government can't sustain the current level of "unbelievable benefits" for public-sector workers.

In response to dozens of questions from readers who say the state ought to wipe out the deficit by eliminating services for illegal immigrants, the governor said it is a "myth" that those immigrants are to blame.

He said the cost of services to illegal immigrants, which has been estimated at $4 billion to $5 billion annually, is a "small percentage" of the deficit California faces.

"Yes, it is something that ought to be dealt with, but the fact of the matter is, I think it's an easy scapegoat for people to point the finger and say, 'Our budget is out of whack because of illegal immigrants.' "

"It's not," he added. "Our budget is out of whack because we have self-inflicted wounds that the Legislature and this state has never really sat down and had the will to go and make the necessary changes that have to be made."

The governor noted that the federal government requires California to provide emergency health care and education to illegal immigrants.

Schwarzenegger in 2006 renounced his 1994 vote for Proposition 187, the initiative to block most services for illegal immigrants, which courts deemed unconstitutional.

"You know something, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that they can get the services," he said Friday. "Because I would like to have the services if I'm somewhere in another country ... if I have an accident with a motorcycle and I go to an emergency room, I don't want someone to say, 'Is he here legally?' "

Schwarzenegger also highlighted the economic contributions of illegal immigrants.

"Everything we eat today is picked and created by undocumented immigrants, to a large extent," he said. "And every time we go to a restaurant and every time we go and move into a building, a lot of those buildings are built by undocumented immigrants' hands."

Schwarzenegger has two budget proposals that affect immigrants. He proposed asking the federal government to deport up to 8,000 illegal immigrants in state prisons to save $182 million. He also wants to save $120 million by eliminating benefits for newly legal low-income immigrants who do not yet qualify for federal assistance.

The governor has said he believes the United States should enforce tougher border controls, and he has advocated for immigration changes such as a guest worker program.

A Federation for American Immigration Reform study released in 2004 said illegal immigrants cost the state $9 billion annually, including $7.7 billion on education. But University of Southern California demographer Dowell Myers has disputed that number and said it is difficult to quantify the full economic impact of illegal immigrants.

Jim Gilchrist, president of the Minuteman Project, accused the governor of "pandering to political correctness." He acknowledged that costs of some goods and services could increase without illegal immigrants, but he said that would be outweighed by tax savings.

"The money for services comes from increased sales taxes, increased property taxes, increased DMV fees," he said.

Sen. Gil Cedillo, D-Los Angeles, praised the governor for saying immigrants are not to blame. "Our economy is very, very dependent on the immigrant work force," he said. "They're a very disciplined, very stable, very productive work force. Our economy would collapse without them."

Facing a $24.3 billion deficit after signing a $92 billion spending plan in February, the Republican governor accepted some blame for what has transpired since he was elected on the promise of fiscal rescue.

But he said the world's economic meltdown and the state's unbalanced tax system are largely responsible. He also said he has been unable to overcome the state's governance problems despite trying to use his celebrity status and bully pulpit to convince voters.

"It's not like it's a one-man show where I can make all the decisions," Schwarzenegger said.

Asked whether California could survive with a part-time Legislature, Schwarzenegger said he is sure it could. "If Texas can be governed by a part-time Legislature, so can California." Though he said full-time status is not the problem, he noted it could force lawmakers to focus on serious work rather than "creating a blueberry commission and all those kind of things."

motorhead
06-07-2009, 8:47 AM
what countrie(s) does arnie sneak into with his motorcycle? it's only a portion, like 20%. ironically, isn't that about the same amount arnie has managed to come up with by threatening to cut NEEDED services?

Roadrunner
06-07-2009, 5:37 PM
It's not a bad idea but it ain't going to happen. No one has the will or authority to eliminate all the waste that has accumulated through poor legislation over the last 40+ years. Laws, agencies, boards, and commissions are created with the best of intentions by less-than-clear-thinking lawmakers. Once created, they bloat and take on a life of their own. Like Frankenstein's monster, it will take the people marching with pitchforks and torches to kill it. But this is CA, so that ain't going to happen either.

I couldn't disagree with this statement more. Politicians are attracted to money and power. The problem is, the more money and power they get, the more they want. In the media spotlight, politicians will express the need for money and laws to benefit the public in general, but anything that benefits you or I is the furthest thing from their mind. Laws are designed to wrest power from the constituents, and so they can claim that they are doing something. Money in the form of taxes, is to keep financially solvent so that they can continue to acquire more power. None of the laws, agencies, boards or commissions are created with their best intentions.