PDA

View Full Version : Seniority/union related question: does time in another union bridge over?

Digital_Boy
06-03-2009, 2:02 PM
Just curious. I was a dues paying member of CWA for 7 years during my time at PacBell/ATT, and I know that persons who'd worked in other union positions would bridge their prior time over after 5 years of service. Didn't mean much other than it gave them more seniority for vacation time picks and an extra incentive when pension buyouts or early retirement offers came around.

Would time served in CWA bridge over to whatever union body represents the police officers after a pre-determined period?

Fjold
06-03-2009, 2:12 PM
It depends on the both of the Unions involved. Some have deals between them to honor seniority and some don't. Sometimes if both Unions are members of the same larger organization (like the AFL-CIO) then they will have seniority agreements.

Lancear15
06-03-2009, 2:15 PM
I've been in the Teamsters, Laborers International, and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and have never heard of any union honoring seniority/vesting from another union. I can say with almost certainty it would not carry over.

nobody33
06-03-2009, 3:25 PM
Just curious. I was a dues paying member of CWA for 7 years during my time at PacBell/ATT, and I know that persons who'd worked in other union positions would bridge their prior time over after 5 years of service. Didn't mean much other than it gave them more seniority for vacation time picks and an extra incentive when pension buyouts or early retirement offers came around.

Would time served in CWA bridge over to whatever union body represents the police officers after a pre-determined period?

Nope. Government employee unions are very different... they have no authority over those things beyond collective bargaining.

SVT-40
06-03-2009, 4:12 PM
More specifically "safety employees" Police, Fire ect. are not unions members per say. They are association members. Associations act on behalf of their members in regards to labor contracts and working conditions. One BIG difference is safety members are prohibited from striking.

Any prior service or seniority with whatever agency would not transfer over to a new police agency. You would start over.

If your retirement was in the same system (in Calif most likely CALPERS) there may be some carryover depending on the PERS contract each city or state agency had.

You would be out of luck with the PacBell union. You start all over.

Jonathan Doe
06-03-2009, 7:00 PM
Some agencies allow you "buy back" time for retirement purpose, but they may not allow job seniority.