PDA

View Full Version : DOJ answer, QUESTION???

74man
07-08-2005, 7:23 PM
Ok, here is the answer I received from DOJ on Immediate Family Difinition:

In regard to your inquiry, the definition of "immediate family" can be found in Penal Code section 12078(c)(3). That Penal Code states that immediate family is defined as parent to child or grandparent to grandchild. Brothers to sisters, brothers to brothers, aunts to uncles, uncles to nephews, etcetera, are not considered "immediate family". A husband and wife may transfer firearms betweem themselves.

If you have any further questions, you may contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887.

Sincerely,

Leslie McGovern, Analyst
Firearms Division

TEXT OF COMPLAINT OR COMMENT: It states in your guideline, for transfer of ownership of a firearm that the transfer must be between "IMMEDIATE FAMILY". It also states as a reference that "Parent to child or grandparent to grandchild". Please explain to me what "Immediate Family" means and all the different options it includes. I have yet to have someone agree on this "IMMEDIATELY FAMILY" Definition. Can a child transfer a firearem to their parent, can a brother transfer a firearm to his sister and the reverse being also included. Can a husband transfer firearm tohis wife and the reverse being included????? Please give me all the different options. Thank you.
CAN WE SEND YOUR QUESTIONS/COMMENTS TO THE REFERENCED PARTY?: Yes

QUESTION; I have read the section but it seems very vague, OK. the parents of the wife transfer a gun to their daughter who then transfers the gun to her husband who then transfers the gun to his father, whats wrong here??? It doesn't state which grandparents or which parents. Clear this up for me, I like everything in black and white!!!

socalguns
07-09-2005, 5:53 AM
Originally posted by 74man:
Ok, here is the answer I received from DOJ on Immediate Family Difinition:

In regard to your inquiry, the definition of "immediate family" can be found in Penal Code section 12078(c)(3). That Penal Code states that immediate family is defined as parent to child or grandparent to grandchild. Brothers to sisters, brothers to brothers, aunts to uncles, uncles to nephews, etcetera, are not considered "immediate family". A husband and wife may transfer firearms betweem themselves.

If you have any further questions, you may contact the Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887.

Sincerely,

Leslie McGovern, Analyst
Firearms Division

TEXT OF COMPLAINT OR COMMENT: It states in your guideline, for transfer of ownership of a firearm that the transfer must be between "IMMEDIATE FAMILY". It also states as a reference that "Parent to child or grandparent to grandchild". Please explain to me what "Immediate Family" means and all the different options it includes. I have yet to have someone agree on this "IMMEDIATELY FAMILY" Definition. Can a child transfer a firearem to their parent, can a brother transfer a firearm to his sister and the reverse being also included. Can a husband transfer firearm tohis wife and the reverse being included????? Please give me all the different options. Thank you.
CAN WE SEND YOUR QUESTIONS/COMMENTS TO THE REFERENCED PARTY?: Yes

QUESTION; I have read the section but it seems very vague, OK. the parents of the wife transfer a gun to their daughter who then transfers the gun to her husband who then transfers the gun to his father, whats wrong here??? It doesn't state which grandparents or which parents. Clear this up for me, I like everything in black and white!!!

Its pretty stupid siblings aren't considered immediate family http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

railroader
07-09-2005, 6:14 AM
So a brother would have to transfer it to his parent then the parent to the other brother. Yes it is pretty lame. I had to do almost the same thing with a rifle and my step son. I gave the rifle to his mother then she gave it to him. One thing about the rifle is there are no fees or paperwork. Mark