PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal SGL-20 Legality

Plisk
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
I posted an AK thread last week about what kind of AK I should get and someone reccomended the Arsenal SGL-20. So that's what I'm going for, and while poking around Gunbroker auctions for them, asking sellers if they're willing to ship to CA. One person said:

Saiga's are not banned by name (on the official list) by the CA Dept. of Justice; yet if you call them in Sacto you will find that they actually are banned by internal order of CA Dept. of Justice. Also, a lot of guy's believe they can get away w/ pulling the pistol grip and sealing it in a seperate plastic bag or shipping it seperately to cut down on the "Evil" features count and legally export ship to a CA FFL...However, if intercepted by the wrong people, legally this comes under the charge of "conspiracy"

FUD?

sorensen440
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I posted an AK thread last week about what kind of AK I should get and someone reccomended the Arsenal SGL-20. So that's what I'm going for, and while poking around Gunbroker auctions for them, asking sellers if they're willing to ship to CA. One person said:

FUD?
Yes Fud

bwiese
06-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Big FUD.

Arsenal SGL-20 Saigas are
(1) not listed
(2) possible to be configured for legal entry into CA.

Frijolito1988
06-03-2009, 11:27 AM
SGL20'S ARE GOOD TO GO :)

munkeeboi
06-03-2009, 11:53 AM
i have one...they are good to go...getting info from GB sellers is like going to turners or Big 5 for info

shooterdave
06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
sgl's are 100% offlist and one of the best ak variant available at this point in time.

thedrickel
06-03-2009, 9:04 PM
The Arsenal Saigas don't even say "SGL-__" anywhere on the gun . . . they are just Izhevsk Saigas.

lomalinda
06-03-2009, 9:32 PM
Here's the deal:

A while back, certain stores got skittish when you'd ask about transferring this firearm through them. The excuse was that they "knew" that the CA DOJ really wanted to ban the SGL, but a transposition resulted in the "SLG" series being banned.

Bottom line: we go by the letter of the law, which bans the "SLG" series.

Your SGL-20 is good to go as long as you manage the SB-23 aspect.

bwiese
06-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Here's the deal:

A while back, certain stores got skittish when you'd ask about transferring this firearm through them. The excuse was that they "knew" that the CA DOJ really wanted to ban the SGL, but a transposition resulted in the "SLG" series being banned.

FUD-Urban legend propagated by gunshops.

There were no transposition errors in model names.

When the Kasler list (11 CCR 5499) was compiled in Fall 2000, there were no "Arsenal Saigas", nor were there any "Arsenal SGL-xxx-anything" riflles. Most all Arsenal rifles were SLG-xxx or SLR-xxx models.

Wholly independently and likely completely unaware of CA law, Arsenal/importers gave this new gun a new model number that merely had different character sequence - for whatever reason; perhaps "SG..." introductory characters of model suggested "Saiga" style, who knows?