PDA

View Full Version : Metal refinishing options.

armandolo
06-03-2009, 7:13 AM
I want to refinish a gray Parkerized AK74 rifle in black and want to know your opinions on a finish. If you have a smiths name or web address that would be great too.

1. Gunkote
2. DuraCoat
3. Ionbond (DLC)
4. Moly resin
5. Ceracote

drawn
06-03-2009, 7:21 AM
DuraCoat Combat Black.

ERdept
06-03-2009, 8:19 AM
I love the unusual NP3 color. Kind of a grayish silver color. Very unique.

JohnBrian
06-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I like Brownells Aluma-Hyde II. It is an epoxy paint. Takes about a week to cure. Comes in a rattle can. I finished my AR in parkerizing gray (looks greenish in the pic below but it is gray) and my FAL in matte black. Impervious to most solvents except brake cleaner & carb cleaner (ask me how I know!).

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117&title=ALUMA-HYDE~%20II

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt311/CG_johnbrian/AR15.jpg

ccr
06-04-2009, 5:09 AM
I guess it depends on whether you are going to do the work yourself. If you are looking to refinish your Ak yourself I would suggest at least the Gunkote or Moly Resin. Duracoat is just a two part epoxy paint type of finish. Cerakote is an epoxy type DIY product also.

Please let me know if I can help or answer and questions for you

wildcard
06-04-2009, 7:31 AM
IonBond would be overkill for an AK. I have the finish on my Surgeon rifle action and it is awesome. I used an X-acto knife on it cause I was bedding it and knew that I could. Rumors are true.. won't leave even a mark on it. The stuff is also super slick. Coefficient of friction of like .1 I think. Get it through Springer Precision. Awesome customer service.

uxo2
06-04-2009, 5:07 PM
KG Gunkote or Moly Resin :thumbsup:

Sthsdr13
06-05-2009, 4:48 PM
I've used Duracoat satin black on several rifles with good results.

coop44
06-08-2009, 6:55 AM
parkerize it, the best service,best price, is Texas Armament, google em.

tpowers
08-05-2009, 8:34 PM
Yo should really check out Cerakote a little better. It destroys Duracoat and KG in all field test areas. I'm a Cerakote applicator and if you go to my web site there is a link to the test results.
www.phantomfinishing.com
Check it out.

drawn
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
The competitors test samples say nothing of DuraCoat or any other brand name.
Also no mention if the test subjects were applied correctly.

tpowers
08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
competitor 1 is duracoat competitor 2 is kg. I used to use duracoat I've never used kg though and will now only use cerakote because of how well it holds up. Duracoat tends to flake off in some areas and I've even put cerakote on butler creek caps with great success. If u r planning on doing it yourself then duracoat may be the way to go. If u want something that will last and hold up you might want to think of having cerakote applied for you. Cerakote is what nighthawk uses on all of their firearms and they are top notch. Hope this helps.

customizedcreationz
09-11-2009, 4:27 AM
Yo should really check out Cerakote a little better. It destroys Duracoat and KG in all field test areas. I'm a Cerakote applicator and if you go to my web site there is a link to the test results.
www.phantomfinishing.com
Check it out.

I 100% agree with tpowers on Cerakote. In every test I've seen comparing Cerakote to other coatings it has come out WAY ahead. Not just a little margin, a big margin.

There is NOTHING I have tested myself that has been comparable to Cerakote. And I've tested a lot, because I wanted my customers to have the best coating for them.

Cerakote is used by many well known major firearms manufacturer's in the industry. Not to mention numerous custom shops around the world.

Sig Sauer has used Cerakote on Special guns ( this is straight from the rep's at Sig Sauer ). Springfield is in the works to replace its coatings with Cerakote, again straight from the reps at SA. Kimber , Nighthawk Customs and a few others I have heard also use Cerakote.

Here are the test results "destroying" ( tpowers, I liked you term so I used it :D) the most competitive products.

http://nicindustries.com/images/subpages/Image/nic_wear_cycles_proof.jpg
http://nicindustries.com/images/subpages/Image/nic_corrosion_proof.jpg

http://nicindustries.com/images/subpages/Image/nic_flex_dur_PROOF.jpg
http://nicindustries.com/images/subpages/Image/nic_cer_graph_PROOF.jpg

Directly off www.nicindustries.com test pages ( which are available for free if you email or call ).

"To prove CerakoteTM is the leading firearm coating, NIC hired an independent military testing facility to perform a blind side by side comparison between CerakoteTM, KG Gun-Kote (listed as competitor 1) and DuraCoat Firearm Finish (listed as competitor 2).

In every test CerakoteTM out performed both competitors products. All tests were performed in accordance to the ASTM test listed in the photo. The complete test report is available for review by contacting our CerakoteTM Customer Service department."

ar15barrels
09-11-2009, 9:09 AM
You left the best option out of your poll.
Oil over parkerizing.

fusionstar
09-11-2009, 9:16 AM
Whats the average cost of doing a full 2 tone color on lets say a scoped remington 700p in Cerakote vs Duracoat?

5hundo
09-11-2009, 9:18 AM
You also left out Electroless Nickel...

It's a good option if you want that stainless steel look...

Probably not appropriate for an AK but it would be unique...

ar15barrels
09-11-2009, 9:30 AM
You also left out Electroless Nickel...

It's a good option if you want that stainless steel look...

Probably not appropriate for an AK but it would be unique...

AK's should be gold plated.

http://images.mmosite.com/my/upload/6f/15/kazu/08/0812/2008081201043_533.jpg

customizedcreationz
09-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Shoot me an email. I can give you a quote on the electroless nickel or the Cerakote. I offer both.

tpowers
09-12-2009, 6:06 PM

Randal you are so gangster! If you do that to your comp rig you may not be able to claim it as a stock rifle beating some of the NorCal crew LOL.

On the pricing shoot me an e-mail or call and I will get you a quote, but I only do local. If you are in the bay area and you want Cerakote I can hook you up.
Thanks,

SJgunguy24
09-12-2009, 6:36 PM

Randall, you forgot the best part.

"AK's should be gold plated.........BBBBBBEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTCCCCCHH HHH:gun_bandana:

It cain't be gangsta wit out a bbeeoootttch in da hizzie.....fo sho

tommyid1
09-14-2009, 7:36 PM
how does moly resin hold up in your experiences. im building an ar45 and contemplating getting the whole thing done up in dark earth. upper lower barrel rail gas block etc.

Viagrow
09-19-2009, 10:12 AM
My personal choice is Cerakote.
(Personal exp. + 4 yrs.)
Hard as nails compared to the others. You'll need practice, proper material prep, a quality airbrush and clean regulated air to bring this baby to life. Well worth the effort and the practice. (needs to be particle blasted for removal)

Next goes to KG Gunkote.
(Personal exp. approx. 10 yrs.)
I use the same method as I do for Cerakote. Produces an even tough finish that looks good. I suspect Gunkote is used by some commercial shops under their own trade names. (needs to be particle blasted for removal)

Duracoat
(Personal exp.?, since whenever lauer stuck it in plastic bottles)
Easy to apply with a cheap airbrush since it's basically just paint, easy to scratch but easy to touch up. One of the best and easiest looking finishes I have ever applied, just not durable enough for hard use. Too much hardener and excessive air pressure and you'll be shooting cobwebs. (comes off with paint remover, easy for beginners to use)

Be sure to use a good respirator mask. The cheap dust mask won't work nearly as good. You don't need this stuff in you lungs folks.

customizedcreationz
09-20-2009, 4:37 AM
My personal choice is Cerakote.
(Personal exp. + 4 yrs.)
Hard as nails compared to the others. You'll need practice, proper material prep, a quality airbrush and clean regulated air to bring this baby to life. Well worth the effort and the practice. (needs to be particle blasted for removal)

Next goes to KG Gunkote.
(Personal exp. approx. 10 yrs.)
I use the same method as I do for Cerakote. Produces an even tough finish that looks good. I suspect Gunkote is used by some commercial shops under their own trade names. (needs to be particle blasted for removal)

Duracoat
(Personal exp.?, since whenever lauer stuck it in plastic bottles)
Easy to apply with a cheap airbrush since it's basically just paint, easy to scratch but easy to touch up. One of the best and easiest looking finishes I have ever applied, just not durable enough for hard use. Too much hardener and excessive air pressure and you'll be shooting cobwebs. (comes off with paint remover, easy for beginners to use)

Be sure to use a good respirator mask. The cheap dust mask won't work nearly as good. You don't need this stuff in you lungs folks.

Good Info and definite plus on the respirator. Don't skimp therre !

tpowers
10-09-2009, 6:15 PM
how does moly resin hold up in your experiences. im building an ar45 and contemplating getting the whole thing done up in dark earth. upper lower barrel rail gas block etc.

Go with Cerakote. Cerakote's FDE is the same as Magpul FDE.