PDA

View Full Version : Repercussions re POST suspension?

masameet
06-03-2009, 5:17 AM
Are there any if a PD lets its POST compliance go into suspension?

Just curious as to the hamlet of Isleton ... (quote excerpted from today's Sacramento Bee story (http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/1913931.html)):
[Police Chief] Jole was fired because he failed to respond to "numerous" efforts to persuade him to become a better administrator.

Jole let the city's compliance with the Commission on Police Officer Standards and Training fall into suspension and neglected to tell the City Council, Pope said.

The city wanted more in-town patrols and fewer stops of motorists headed down the highway, Pope said. But Jole failed to heed the request.

Jole disputed those reasons. "I spent 20 years on the streets of Sacramento," he said.

"My patrol experience and my experience in dealing with people is far superior to Mr. Pope's."

He called the POST suspension a matter of oversight coupled with a worker's family emergency.

Jonathan Doe
06-03-2009, 9:31 AM
POST can at least shut down academies.

sgtbuck
06-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I know that POST would come to our Department and do an audit of all training records. Our Reserve Captain was required to go back through a partial academy because his training records had been lost years before. Now that was a big bummer for him.

nobody33
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
POST participation is not a requirement for PD's in CA. They are required to meet certain requirements set out in CA law (gov/penal codes the constitution and ca codes).

The main requirements all peace officers are required to meet are: the basic academy before they are sworn, and 40 hour update training every two years. The training must be POST approved.

The major issue is all POST agencies are reimbursed for training expenses by POST ... only if they are a POST participating department. So the non POST agencies pay $$$ to be trained. The POST training budget comes from mostly fines. Training reimbursement is the carrot to joining POST. It's a lot of money.

SVT-40
06-03-2009, 4:15 PM
No real issue other than those agencies do not get POST training funds. In addition they tend to pay less, and attract less desirable Officers.

masameet
06-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Good info. Thanks, guys!

Tried calling the Commission of POST today but the person who probably could give me the definitive answer is out for the next few weeks. I suspect his reply would echo yours.