PDA

View Full Version : can i put a 10rnd detachable mag on a yugo in california?

lostark374
08-12-2005, 9:24 PM
will the rifle be deemed illegal if i do this? there are no other modifications to the gun other then cleaning it.
the only reason i want to use a detachable is ease of reloading at the range.
as far as the quality and functionality of detachable mags in a sks. i know what im getting into ive used them for years. some are good some are bad.
just looking for a a solid no BS answer

toolman9000
08-12-2005, 10:07 PM
YES it is illegal.

Do not put a detachable mag on a sks... a big no-no.

lostark374
08-13-2005, 12:30 AM
thank you for the replies looks like i will invest in some stripper clips (again)

lostark374
08-13-2005, 1:47 AM
ok one more question.. i have a few other sks rifles some i do not have the factory mags for. my russie and chinese..are they legal to shoot in california assuming i put the factory 10rnd back in?

Mssr. Eleganté
08-13-2005, 11:11 AM
SKS rifles are perfectly legal in California as long as...

they don't have a detachable magzine.

you don't add a fixed magazine with a capacity over 10 rounds after Dec. 31, 1999.

the rifle is at least 30 inches long.

So if you have a fixed 10 round magazine and a non-folding stock on your Russian and Chinese SKS rifles, then they are California legal.

icormba
08-13-2005, 1:07 PM
so basically... just having a 10 rd removable SKS mag could get you into trouble if you just happened to be "taking down" your sks for it's yearly cleaning... which could include removing the fixed 10rd mag to reach those hard spots.

Mike Searson
08-13-2005, 2:45 PM
No...it's just like removing a fixed magazine from a FAL like clone or even a fixed AR15.

According to their law they forced upon us...if it requires a tool to remove a magazine...it is not considered detachable.

To the disappointment of many (liberals and the various legal curmudgeons who wring their hands about this sort of thing)...you are not in "lawbreaker/felon" status...when you remove the magazine using tools, etc.

Keep it up and that's the path this state is guiding it, though.

Life will be so much better on the other side of the Sierras!

rkt88edmo
08-14-2005, 1:13 PM
Thank goodness Simonov didn't make it too easy to push that trigger group take down button. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Charliegone
08-14-2005, 2:17 PM
So basically I can take any rifle (no ar's or ak's or roberti-roos guns) and fix the mag that requires a tool for removal like a bullet and it will be legal? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Why didn't they just let us have the pistol grip? geez even with that I would be happy. Stoopid politicians http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

bwiese
08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Charliegone,

Originally posted by Charliegone:
So basically I can take any rifle (no ar's or ak's or roberti-roos guns) and fix the mag that requires a tool for removal like a bullet and it will be legal? http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

If it's a Type III A.W. in California (meaning not one of the original 52? 56?? Roberti-Roos guns, nor any AR or AK), broadly speaking, you can essentially just have one 'evil feature'. Thus, if you have a pistol grip, you can't have a detachable magazine - or vice versa.

Also remember, it's an AW even with a fixed magazine if it holds more than 10 rds.

So, if you have a Type III AW, you can affix a low-capacity magazine that's not readily detachable (i.e., takes tools and a bit of time to remove) and that removes one evil feature - you can then have another evil feature instead, like the pistol grip. This is how the California FALs are legal.

Why didn't they just let us have the pistol grip? geez even with that I would be happy. Stoopid politicians http://www.calguns.net/banghead.gif

Type III 'generic' AWs were banned by CA's SB23 law passed in 1999, which became active 1 Jan 2000.

This law was written to address supposed failures in Federal Assualt weapons law at the time - which had still essentially allowed anything with two evil features to be sold (i.e., a pistol grip + detachable mag). The Federal AW ban essentially just removed folding stocks and flash hiders from postban guns, and stopped new hicap mags from getting into citizens' hands - but it allowed preban guns to exist without fees, penalties and registration, and allowed hicap mags to be possessed, traded, sold, etc.

In 1999 you could buy AR, AK, FAL, HK, Uzi clones that took hicap mags. They just had fixed stocks and no flash hiders if they were postban. Prebans sold at a premium. People were lined up at the time (in CA) buying all sorts of AWs and receivers. I couldn't reliably order a Bushmaster AR lower in 1998 or 1999 due to backlog - had to get Colt lowers and ASA lowers.

It should be noted that even if SB23 had not passed out of legislature in 1999, ARs and AKs would've still been banned due to Kasler court decision (August 2000) which threw them back into Roberti-Roos "AR series" and "AK series" weapons. These still would've required registration, etc. This was a poorly though-out lawsuit (like Silviera): these risk digging gun folks deeper in the hole....

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Charliegone
08-15-2005, 6:57 PM
Well thanks Bill that cleared it up a bit.

Hypothetical scenario lets say I want to build an hk-91 (clone). I have either a) cut the pistol grip off, or b) fix the magazine so that it can only be removed with a tool?

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb23.htm

this is from the DOJ website link is above.

"detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine."

so am I reading this correct that a non-detachable magazine, must require a tool for removal? So lets say I fixed the mag, but to load it I would have to use a tool to remove the magazine, load the magazine than place the mag again( in the fixed position of course). You see what I was thinking lets say the magazine is fixed with a pin everytime it was put in. It would be non removable, since the pin would be holding it in place. Now to remove it, it would require the use of a tool, but everytime the magazine was put back it would be locked in place by this pin and thus non-detachable again. I hope I have explained my self alright?

bwiese
08-15-2005, 8:38 PM
Charliegone...

First thing, even if legal, I'd be wary of possessing a gun like a gripless FAL clone or HK clone and a separate grip. I'd certainly not travel with them together unless both were locked separately. Some DA could perhaps try 'constructive possession' charge - and remember, there are 58 DAs in CA, some of whom may push to interpret law different than DOJ.

Let's back up and talk broadly about removable vs. fixed magazines. Don't get hung up on tool requirements on removal vs installation. That's again something that could be kinda-sorta OK with DOJ but a local DA might have an issue.

So best not to be too tricky. Part of the 'legislative intent' of SB23 was to ban new guns with detachable hicap mags. So having something easier to deal with is NOT good (legally). My opinion is that the mag on a post-2000 pistol-gripped rifle should be removable only for repair or cleaning at the bench, but should not need to be manipulated during loading or unloading process.

The CaliFALs are clearly legal because that mag is fed from stripper clips above and the mag is fixed and never moves during normal operation of that rifle.

I do not know how to make an HK91 (clone) work with a fixed mag, since that receiver can't really be opened up to feed w/stripper clip. I'd advise moving away from HK-style platform while in California - besides, parts supply is fairly expensive, and factory barrels w/fluted chamber destroy brass.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stillbigmac
08-16-2005, 5:20 PM
I feel a need to clear up a couple things.

We are not allowed any "evil" features on a semiauto detachable mag rifle. On a fixed ten round mag rifle with an overall length over 30 in you can have all the "evil" features your heart desires, because it cannot be an assault weapon.

Semi automatic and detachable are qualifying features not "evil" features. (thanks Hanko for originally pointing this out to me).

Charliegone
08-18-2005, 9:57 PM
I C! Well, guess I'll buy my fal parts now and see what I can do. Getting my Feather at-22 next month (finally seesh)! Had on lay away for a while. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Thanks fellas!