PDA

View Full Version : Why do we Fight for 2A Rights?

oaklander
06-02-2009, 10:46 PM
What motivates you to fight for Second Amendment rights?

For me, it was Hurricane Katrina. I'd been shooting off and on for years, but seeing the SHTF in N.O. made me realize how vulnerable my family was (we just had a new baby).

I vowed at that point to fight (not only looters), but also those who would take away the right of defense. . .

EDIT: this pic speaks for itself:

http://i39.tinypic.com/23svntc.jpg

oaklander
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
Don't all jump in at one time. . .

N6ATF
06-02-2009, 10:55 PM
No watershed event. Just knowing too many in government are criminals and want us to either be their slaves or dead is enough.

Hold your BLOODY HORSES. 8 MINUTES TOO MUCH? LOL

hoffmang
06-02-2009, 10:56 PM
How to keep this response to a forum post...

I lived in and near the heart of the civil rights movement - just 15 years later. I've experienced the feeling of being deprived the first amendment and being forced to retreat from supposedly banned firearms. If we can abrogate the second, then the first, and the fourth are surely not far behind.

The real reason the second amendment exists is to lower the chance it would ever be actually needed. That a said, I'm very, very glad it was there for the Deacons for Defense and Justice, SNIC, CORE, and NAACP, not to mention a few guys in Boston 235 years ago...

-Gene

DDT
06-02-2009, 11:05 PM
I've always been a strong advocate for civil rights and ALL of our constitutionally enumerated rights. I used to hunt as a kid but hadn't really shot a gun since I was 16 or 17. I had a kid and wanted him to enjoy the outdoors and shooting like I did as a youngster.

The world just sort of evolved to the point where firearms became the most important civil liberty that was being infringed in a massive, systematic way. When Heller came out I thought there was an opportunity to get involved and then when we elected someone I feared was a gun-grabber as president I felt that I couldn't NOT get involved.

Electricboy
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
I spent my youth shooting on my uncles ranch. after the navy i moved around northern california alot and left my guns with my dad. when i got back to mendocino county i got back into shooting and "where the hell did that law come from?" so now i'm fighting for the rights i didn't notice we lost.

Electricboy
06-02-2009, 11:11 PM
i am also an NRA member and read the forums here so i know what is happening around me.

Stryprod
06-02-2009, 11:21 PM
because the police have NO LEGAL obligation to protect me and more importantly, because I have a MORAL obligation to protect my family and especially my beautiful baby daughter.

joeyriv
06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Sometime after I left the military, I realized that the real fight for freedom isn't on a foreign shore, but right here within our own borders... Then I opened my eyes and realized that our gun rights had been seriously eroded while I was in the care of Uncle Sam.... Then Hillary announced her candidacy for the POTUS, and I finally figured that I was silent for far too long.

lioneaglegriffin
06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

or any variant you've heard.:
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for a few good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for a few good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for some good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for all good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that enough good men do nothing
All that is essential for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The only thing needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that’s necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that’s needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All that’s needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
For evil to prosper all it needs is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing
All that’s necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is for good [wo]men to do nothing
The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for enough good men [and women] to do nothing
The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men (and women!) to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (and women) do nothing
For evil to triumph it is necessary only that good men [and women] do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing
All that it takes for the triumph of evil is that good men and women do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men and women to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing
All that needs to be done for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing
The only thing that has to happen in this world for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph in the world is for enough good men and women to do nothing
Evil thrives when good men do nothing
For evil to triumph good men need do nothing
For evil to triumph good men have to do nothing
The best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The surest way to assure the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Evil will triumph so long as good men do nothing
It is necessary only for good men to say nothing for evil to triumph
It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph
For evil to triumph it is necessary for good men to do nothing
For evil to triumph it is sufficient for good men to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph over good is for good men to do nothing
Evil can triumph only if good men do nothing
The only thing evil men need to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil was for good men to do nothing
The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Evil prevails when good men do nothing

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke
Super Quote!

berto
06-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Defending myself and my loved ones from violence or oppression.

FEDUPWBS
06-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Defending myself and my loved ones from violence or oppression.

AND TYRANNY!

lioneaglegriffin
06-03-2009, 12:16 AM
nuff said

i thought it would make the perfect quote.

trilogy
06-03-2009, 1:16 AM
The police/army/.gov are going to be no where to be found when the zombie outbreak comes. :cool2:

And all that civil rights founding fathers type stuff :thumbsup:

--Matt

Lex Arma
06-03-2009, 2:40 AM
I was raised in a military family, my father was a Navy veteran. His three brothers also served. I served 6 years in the Naval Reserve myself. My brother is still in the military.

I am also a former Boy Scout. (Do they still have shooting/hunting merit badges?)

I was raised in the South (Texas, Louisiana, Virginia) and saw first hand the vestiges of the legacy of our "peculiar institution." It wasn't just the grinding poverty and disparate treatment of blacks in the South. It was the way my black friends felt that they had to act meek and subservient around "the man", while I (a white kid) was free to speak my mind, go where I wanted, buy what I wanted and even challenge authority without risking an *** whooping or worse.

My upbringing was patriotic. We hunted and were taught self-reliance as a virtue.

I always took "the right to keep and bear arms" for granted. It was like an arm or a leg, I couldn't imagine my life without it. (If the right is ever lost, I am sure I will have the phantom feelings of it still being there.)

I remember the exact moment when I stopped taking the Second Amendment for granted, and dedicated myself to "doing something."

It was after the Stockton massacre (1988/89). The CA legislature had just shoved Roberti-Roos down our throats. I was a mechanic at the time working at a Cadillac dealership. I was attending night school. I was going to major in History and try to get a job teaching High School or Junior College.

After the government of the State of CA said I couldn't own an appropriate firearm to defend my home and community, I changed my major to Political Science and set myself on a path to law school.

I echo Gene Hoffman's comments. The greatest social utility of the Second Amendment, from the standpoint of keeping this country free, is a vigorous defense of the ideals of that amendment, without having to actually resort to its practical application.

CitaDeL
06-03-2009, 5:30 AM
The greatest obligation of a free people, is to provide for themselves and their families- Dependancy on the state causes us to needlessly endure the deficiencies of their care. The prohibition of the emplements of self-defense only ensure dependancy on social welfare institutions such as police forces.

edwardm
06-03-2009, 6:21 AM
Amazing how having a child totally alters the calculus of what one will do to preserve their family's well-being and freedom, isn't it?

Seems even more true when that new baby is a little girl. All my friends make the requisite (and well-worn) joke of "Daddy has friends with shovels."

:D

In terms of core motivation, mine is to maximize self-reliance and self-determination. Always has been, always will be.

For me, it was Hurricane Katrina. I'd been shooting off and on for years, but seeing the SHTF in N.O. made me realize how vulnerable my family was (we just had a new baby).

squishyhead
06-03-2009, 6:53 AM
The simple reality of the importance of the 2nd Amendment is that without it, none of the other Amendments matter.

Bugei
06-03-2009, 7:11 AM
When I returned from the Army (having gone on scenic tours of several Third World hellholes), I noticed something odd; many of my fellow students just didn't get the "gun thing". They didn't shoot, even though you'd expect a great many of them to hunt in South Dakota. And they didn't get that any government can go bad.

But I started getting a little militant just about the time that Roberti-Roos was passed. When the government starts telling you that you can't have things, it's time to buy those things. Americans (and I ain't no damned "North American" or "United Statesian", I'm an American) just plain like to things the government disapproves of.

An example would be Concord Bridge.

Mute
06-03-2009, 7:12 AM
The 2nd Amendment represents one of the most important foundations of a free society, that is, the simple and basic right of self determination. It's very hard to take away a persons ability to determine his own fate when that person is armed and it seems every type of government that evolves eventually reach a point where it wants to take away some, if not all of that ability to choose.

Suvorov
06-03-2009, 7:15 AM
My Father and Grandparents survived the Bolshevik Revolution as well as the Stalin purges. They were eventually able to move to the US, but now without witnessing first hand the Nazi terror machine. I was raised with the stories of just how bad governments can be when the people give them absolute power. Fortunately, I was raised in a Free State where everyone shot (including the Libs) and thus was allowed to be steeped in the Shooting Sports and the brotherhood of arms. After 12 years in the Army, I realized what the Union Generals who founded the NRA knew - that a citizenry skilled at arms makes for better soldiers.

No government is perfect, but ours as framed by our Nation's founders is as close to perfection as is possible in this world. The 2nd Amendment is key to enabling all men the natural rights of self defense and self determination as well as the needed check on abusive government. My 10 year stay in Kalifornia has shown me that our 2nd Amendment rights are easily eroded and that if we are not willing to stand up for these rights, then they will be lost.

I have been given a wonderful opportunity by my family who endured much hardship so that I could be born in a free and prosperous nation. Hundreds of thousands of my brothers in arms have given their lives throughout history so that the original Constitution might still be in existence today. I would be doing dishonor to both if I failed in my life to do what I can to keep the American People free and our Constitution intact.

I truly hope that I will be able to pass on the same freedoms to my children and grandchildren.

AEC1
06-03-2009, 7:17 AM
Because of many things. Same reason I still serve in the military, this nation was once great, and can be again. It is worth fighting for and dieing for. Because I am ultimately responsible to my God and my family for their well being (from food and shelter to security). Because even in the best case scenario it will take the police at least 3 minutes to get my house from the donught shop that is just 3 blocks away, allot of bad things can happen in those three minutes. Lat two reasons, shooting is a BLAST, and I like the looks on liberals faces when I wear my NRA shirt to school board meetings...

WokMaster1
06-03-2009, 7:21 AM
I came from a country where rights of an individual were far & few. But these basic rights can be bought with money or association. I despised that even though I was amongst the priviledged few.

When I came to America, I was vey lucky to become friends with a very prominent family in the South. They have deep roots stemming from the Civil War days & are very involved in the politics of this country. They taught me about the history of this country, hunting, our rights & guns.:43:

I saw first hand the actions of the .gov during the Gainesville murders when the sales of firearms & ammo was banned in that county & parents had to go outside the county to buy them. I saw the look of relief on a father's face when I sold his daughter a Taurus 85 & showing her how to shoot.

When I moved to California, I was not active in the sport as I was so busy with my career. I regret not buying any "AW" for registration before the ban. When OLLs came up, I jumped in with both feet, head first:D.... I have realized that my 2A right is mine & my family's to lose if I don't stand up & do something to keep it. Calguns has provided me just the way to do it. Thank you.

M. D. Van Norman
06-03-2009, 8:00 AM
I want to be free. Even though the Second Amendment is not the only or even the most important of our Constitutional liberties, the right to arms proved ripe for action. That’s where I can do the most good for now.

M1A Rifleman
06-03-2009, 8:05 AM
Because I like my weapons/hobby and I'm not about to give them up because it makes some lib uncomfortable.

soundwave
06-03-2009, 8:17 AM
No. 1 - Protection from all things that would do me or my loved ones harm.

No. 2 - Hobby.

dilligaffrn
06-03-2009, 8:41 AM
YUP!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

or any variant you've heard.:
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for a few good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for a few good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for some good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for all good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that enough good men do nothing
All that is essential for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that is required for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The only thing needed for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing
The only thing needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
All that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All thatís necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All thatís needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good men to do nothing
All thatís needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing
For evil to prosper all it needs is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing
All thatís necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph is for good [wo]men to do nothing
The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for enough good men [and women] to do nothing
The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men (and women!) to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men (and women) do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men (and women) do nothing
For evil to triumph it is necessary only that good men [and women] do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing
All that it takes for the triumph of evil is that good men and women do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men and women to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good people do nothing
All that needs to be done for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing
The only thing that has to happen in this world for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is necessary for evil to triumph in the world is for enough good men and women to do nothing
Evil thrives when good men do nothing
For evil to triumph good men need do nothing
For evil to triumph good men have to do nothing
The best way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The surest way to assure the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
Evil will triumph so long as good men do nothing
It is necessary only for good men to say nothing for evil to triumph
It is necessary only for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph
For evil to triumph it is necessary for good men to do nothing
For evil to triumph it is sufficient for good men to do nothing
All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing
All that is necessary for the forces of evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
All that is required for evil to triumph over good is for good men to do nothing
Evil can triumph only if good men do nothing
The only thing evil men need to triumph is for good men to do nothing
The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for enough good men to do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men stand by and do nothing
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil was for good men to do nothing
The only way for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
Evil prevails when good men do nothing

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."
Edmund Burke
Super Quote!

7x57
06-03-2009, 8:54 AM
In rough chronological order:

1. Because a very liberal college professor assigned The Federalist, and it contained enough context for me to confidently interpret the Constitution for myself and know when an expert was simply engaging in expert lying, which is more or less the intent of having public laws and a social compact theory of government.

2. Because moving to California from Montana was such a dramatic and instant loss of freedom that the frog was no longer being cooked slowly, and I could recognize precisely the incremental process that I understood theoretically from The Federalist and other period documents.

3. Because I now have two boys who I have to raise in a bitterly racist and sexist society that hates boys in general and hates my boys' heritage and culture in particular, and nobody is going to make them ashamed of it or take away their rights as Americans without a fight.

4. Because hurting them is going to be as risky as I can possibly make it.

5. Because if the Constitution doesn't mean what it always meant then the Federal government has no legitimacy at all, only rule by force, and I believe in the rule of law.

6. Because Americans were willing to vote for the worst and most anti-American presidential candidate of my lifetime.

7. Because it annoys the worst and most anti-American government of my lifetime.

8. Because I too am a rowdy malcontent who doesn't play well with others.

9. Because James Madison and Thomas Jefferson appeared to me in a vision while I was riding to Damascus and said I am supposed to.

OK, maybe not that last one.

7x57

Turo
06-03-2009, 9:07 AM
Started shooting when I was 4 and I've been raised to always defend myself and my family. That, and very few people my age are actually interested in protecting their own freedoms.

Roadrunner
06-03-2009, 9:09 AM
Because the government is too big, is trying to gain more power by restricting more rights, and is attempting to twist the Bill of Rights into a Bill of Restrictions on personal liberty. The only representation from politicians that I see are their own interests. Our military is becoming spread thin with all of the attempts to protect the world from itself and spread democracy, and our police apparently have no obligation to protect me as an individual, but do have the obligation to protect me from myself, which is why our nanny state is attempting to make more laws in the name of public safety, and thereby justifies separating me from more of my money so that they can continue to protect me from myself.

BTF/PTM
06-03-2009, 9:13 AM
Two reasons.

First, the 2nd Amendment was put in place to allow Americans to guard themselves against criminals. Violent crimimals, governmental criminals, oppressive criminals, criminals of any sort. No population will ever be ideal, having no crime and a corruption free government. It's simply not in human nature to establish utopian conditions. The right of a population to be granted defense against those problems is what holds a society together and prevents it from falling into anarchy or total oppression. It is a noble right to uphold and fight for.

Second, the 2nd Amendment is under attack by the most assinine logic out there. Some people actually believe that limiting or eliminating access to arms by legislation will end crime and make society safer. The concept that Americans should simply stand by and support these arguments that laws against arms will prevent the lawless from acting is abhorrent and must be resisted with everything we have. I feel that in many ways the fight to uphold our 2nd Amendment is also a fight to uphold logic and reason.

PatriotnMore
06-03-2009, 9:13 AM
Because, without the teeth to bite, the dog is worthless in a dog fight.

If we loose, or give up the second, it's very easy for others to take them all.

Nate74
06-03-2009, 9:21 AM
There's really no reason for a group of average citizens to have the ability to protect themselves. Just ask the Armenians, Jews, Cambodians, Citizens of Darfur, etc.

tincan715
06-03-2009, 9:34 AM
For me it's more the principle than any specific issues I have with gun control laws. It's clear to me - I've done the reading - that the 2nd Amendment was written to protect the rights of individuals to arm themselves, and I simply want to be able to exercise the rights I'm guaranteed by the Constitution.

Lancear15
06-03-2009, 9:36 AM
Firearms are the only true equalizer available to us, weather you are talking about fighting crime or governments. Please see quote below.

hawk81
06-03-2009, 2:57 PM
So we aren't slaves.

madmike
06-03-2009, 3:14 PM
Because if we don't, who will?

-madmike..

Stan_Humphries
06-03-2009, 4:54 PM
Because guns are cool...

pnkssbtz
06-03-2009, 4:55 PM
To protect the other rights and safeguard against tyranny.

mossy
06-03-2009, 5:31 PM
no deep or profound reason, i just like to shoot and dont trust the government.

M. Sage
06-03-2009, 6:19 PM
I support the right to keep and bear arms because...

I cherish all the rights I have, whether enumerated in the Constitution or not, and the best only way to protect those rights, when it comes down to it, is through the implied threat or overt use of force against those who would strip us of them.

I cherish my life (and by extension my property), and the best way to protect them is through use of arms. The money I earn and the possessions I buy with that money represent a chunk of my life that I've traded away. Protecting my property from theft is no different than protecting my life from attack.

I cherish the lives of those I love, and the best way I can protect them from people who wish them harm is by being prepared (I've been told "eager" on occasion) to do violence in their defense. This is a big one for me. I feel sorry in advance for anybody who enters my home with the intent of harming me and my wife. To get to her, they'll have to come through me, and I don't plan on making that easy. I feel sorry for them... right now. Later there won't be any sympathy.

I cherish a system that protects my rights as listed above, and will fight to the death to defend it.

The Wingnut
06-03-2009, 6:36 PM
I can't pin my fight for my rights to any particular event or reason.

I was born and raised in what I consider the twilight of common sense. My memories of childhood recall a much more carefree world, although that's viewed through the eyes of nostalgia and the perception of a child at the time. I've watched personal responsibility disappear, accountability of the government to the citizen get progressively eroded, the blatant denial of natural rights through legislation, the growth of entitlement, shallow, meaningless pop culture and extremes of needless consumerism...

I was born into a world where as a child I was told that I could live as I saw fit, determine my own path in life and answer only to myself unless I posed significant harm to others without justification.

...now I am increasingly told that I must answer to those whom have little to no authority over me, who cannot represent me or have ever met me. My options in life are chipped away at, reduced, regulated, marginalized, banned, vilified, or condemned by both an increasingly power-hungry and self-serving government and by fellow citizens whom there is no precedent or law that obligates me to listen to them.

Firearms to me represent a last-stand hard line answer for the citizen against what is shaping up to be a government that will someday forget its purpose and re-define it as completely self-serving. Too many citizens have assumed 'it can't happen here' or have become entirely complacent and apathetic. Educators and media outlets have become indoctrinated and current generations moving into the administrative age are almost entirely state and media raised by hands-off workaholic proxy parents.

For those of us still retaining common sense, decency, a proper working knowledge of responsibility, accountability and individual liberty, the time may come soon to make the ultimate stand against a totalitarian force bent on oppression and subjugation under the false pretenses of of communal welfare and global unity.

When that time comes, it is the duty of the individual to be prepared to defend themselves and their own. In the meantime, the individual oppressor - thieves, predators, those of a violent nature - are well-deterred and halted in extreme cases by the armed and responsible individual.

Plus, guns make neat sounds and poke holes in stuff from far away. :p

Rob360
06-03-2009, 8:38 PM
To preserve Liberty.

To fight Tyranny.

To protect my family.

This is still one of the most articulate statements I have seen on the issue:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4069761537893819675&p

bulgron
06-03-2009, 9:18 PM
I grew up shooting with my dad, but never took it seriously.

Then I moved to California and three months later we had the Loma Prieta. That freaked me out a bit and, in addition to a few other "earthquake preparedness" things, I bought my first gun. But I still didn't take it very seriously.

Then Clinton got his AW ban passed, and that made me mad as hell. So I started to research the 2A just to make sure I had a right to be mad. And I did. But I still didn't take it seriously.

Then a long time passed and one day I woke up and I realized my little girls were growing up. And I started to think about how society sometimes treats women. And I had to admit that their best chance -- should things go south when the day comes that I'm not there to protect them -- is a gun. But there were all these scary stories coming out of NOLA post-Katrina. And I knew that if I did nothing, then uncaring government officials might one day deny my girls access to the most effective tool for self-defense.

And that's when I took it seriously.

Foulball
06-03-2009, 9:43 PM
Because my Grandfather (retired as a full bird) and two of his three brothers fought in WWII and all four fought in Korea. They fought against oppression and tyranny. My grandfather wanted to make sure of his children and grandchildren would have the same freedoms that this country was founded on.

My great-uncle Phil was in the 1st Ranger Bn (Company B) (Sgt) and was KIA Cisterna,Italy as a member of the 3rd Ranger Bn (Company E).

They didn't fight for England, France, Italy or Korea. They fought for the USA and the promise that it held. Our family continues to cherish the values that our founding fathers put in place for without them, all will have died in vain.
The 2nd Amendment guaranties that we will not go quietly into the night.

Theseus
06-03-2009, 10:00 PM
For me, I have to say that I have always had a strange and unexplainable disdain for authority.

I have for an unexplained reason always sought to square off with those that are in a position of power, especially so if they are of questionable judgment or character.

I have always believed that Government is as much a sentient being as we are. Once established the Government will do all in its power to grow and survive and that it will not stop unless there is a more powerful force to stop it or keep it in check.

I believe that the 2nd Amendment is the one amendment that most appropriately reflects the true spirit that is America. The idea that one person is in the position to make the greatest difference in their own life is a powerful thing that can motivate an individual to achieve great things. The free-thinking independent spirit of America is encapsulated in the 2nd Amendment because it is a means to ensure that the people also understand that with the great freedoms comes the responsibility of defending it, something that I think is always a valuable and important lesson.

I fight for it because in the famous words of John McClaine, "I just don't trust anyone else to do it."

Prc329
06-03-2009, 10:03 PM
2 words. My Family.

the_quark
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
I can't even remember when I started this fight - I remember my Granddad showing me his guns as a kid. I remember shooting as a teenager, and being angered by all the gun laws coming out in the mid-to-late 80s.

I'm involved to safeguard The Republic.

383green
06-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I'm rather pig-headed; once I get an idea through my thick skull, it's not easily dislodged.

I'm also an engineer. I'm not just talking about my job and my career; I was born an engineer. Seeing a pile of problems, figuring out their least common denominator and then focusing on that alone, is just the way I think. The fact that it nicely pays the bills is just a happy coincidence.

On top of all of that, I have always reacted very negatively to any perceived injustice.

As many have noted, the 2nd Amendment is the one that secures all of the other ones, and it's the last-resort tool when everything else fails in the defense of liberty. I guess I'm just hard-wired to focus on it for that reason.

It helps that I'm fascinated by well-made, complicated mechanical things.

I've known people who would say that my guns serve as surrogate phalluses and make me feel like a big man. I would find such comments to be offensive to my dignity and character. Not necessarily inaccurate, but definitely offensive. :whistling:

andalusi
06-04-2009, 12:12 AM

That it is a right is reason enough. I always thought the Second Amendment only made sense if meant as an individual right, not a collective one.

Even when I wasn't in the least bit interested in owning a gun (and I grew up in Texas!), I supported the right of my peers to do so. Being a gun owner now myself, I have a more immediately obvious vested interest, I suppose, but I'd feel the same even if I hadn't decided to take firearms training or purchase any firearms.

Texas Boy
06-04-2009, 12:35 AM
Because life without liberty is not worth living, and the 2A embodies the concept that liberty without the means of defending said liberty is not liberty at all.

TheDM
06-04-2009, 2:52 AM

So I don't have to use it for the reason it was put there.

cbn620
06-04-2009, 3:44 AM
I grew up shooting guns, with a father and uncle who both served in Vietnam. I fired my first real gun at 5 and it became a great hobby for me by the time I was 12 years old; not just shooting but working on and studying firearms. I always knew I supported peoples' right to own guns but in youthfulness I didn't really understand the complexities of why.

My bookishness led me to many philosophical studies throughout my teen years, and particularly after studying the American revolution, libertarianism, and anarchism I was led to think more about and appreciate civil rights. I realized the RKBA is one of those rights that does not get enough respect and is indeed by some people not even considered a true right. Being astounded by this, and having come of age during the Internet revolution, I was eventually led to discussion groups and bulletin boards, linking me up with likeminded people across the country. I guess the rest speaks for itself.

Not a particularly interesting story and probably very similar to most peoples' here, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

redneckshootist
06-04-2009, 6:20 AM
I fight for it because Ive seen first hand what a difference a firearm can and will make in a life or death situation, Im alive to tell about it.;)

Untamed1972
06-04-2009, 9:07 AM
Because it is my belief that it is the inborn hearts desire, and God given right of all persons to be free and live free, so as to seek their own destiny and personal evolvement. I beleive the Constitution was an inspired document which was meant to enumerate that inborn desire and attempt to protect it from those forces of evil and domination that would attempt to subjogate mankind and strip them of there freedom and impede or halt their personal evolution as persons and as souls.

Absolute domination can never be allowed to exist as it would interupt the evolutionary cycle of all souls. For those of a spiritual (or religious) nature, remember it is said that there was even war in heaven at one time when an attempt was made to seize control of that plane of existence. There will always be forces of evil seeking domination and it is the duty of all right-hearted individuals to resist and defeat those forces of evil with whatever means they have to do so.

This is why I have always liked the sheep/sheepdog/wolf analogy. Some people are not capable to defending themselves, and some of them might not even know they need to be defended. But it is still the obligation of those of who DO know that defense is needed to do so for the benefit of ourselves, our families and society as a whole....whether society knows it or appreciates it.

That is why I fight for ALL constitutional rights, 2A being the one that makes defense of those liberties possible in this plain of existence.

Davidwhitewolf
06-04-2009, 10:47 AM
It crystallized for me as a poor student in Whitebear's gun store in Concord (now long gone, sadly) as the AWB was about to take effect. A uniformed San Jose police officer who was a recent immigrant from Ukraine saw me looking wistfully at the AR he was buying and cheerfully told me not to worry, that as long as I could buy a .22 I could get any weapon I wanted if it came time to resist the government. Then he explained how.

That a uniformed cop was telling me this was electrifying.

That he'd lived until recently under one of the most oppressive regimes in world history, and was directly applying that life experience to California, was eye-opening. Changed my whole perspective on the Second Amendment.

high_revs
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I now fight and advocate fighting to friends/family becuase:

1) In the past few years, I've seen slow erosion of our rights and having a governtment dictate how we should live in their beliefs
2) I'd like to be able to defend myself/family/home if shtf happens. Of course, I can use a bat, knife, etc. But why when a firearm carries much more deterrent to criminals trying to do me/us harm. I know people who have had burglary, had that happened to me and I just so happen to be home, I shudder to think what I can do w/o my 2A.

Al_Gore
06-04-2009, 12:45 PM

I fight for the 2A because I've traveled around the world, and I've seen the rule of governments go beyond the control of the people.

I fight for the 2A because I've seen the corruption of police and military, I know first hand how incredible this country is and how free we really are even given all of the encroachment from DC and Sacramento.

I fight for the 2A because I've talked with people who have believed there is nothing they can do to stop governments, the same people who are not allowed to own guns... and I'm not willing to accept that in the country I love, not without a fight.

Oh... and I fight for the 2A because shooting is one hell of a good time.

Steyr_223
06-04-2009, 12:55 PM
The 2nd Amend enable us to protect the Four Freedoms. It's also known as the 5th Freedom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms

* Freedom of speech and expression
* Freedom of religion
* Freedom from want
* Freedom from fear
* Freedom to defend [by any means necessary] the first four freedoms

http://www.thewisdomjournal.com/Blog/wp-includes/images/fourfreedoms.jpg

Rob360
06-04-2009, 1:31 PM
I fight for the 2A because I've traveled around the world, and I've seen the rule of governments go beyond the control of the people.

I fight for the 2A because I've seen the corruption of police and military, I know first hand how incredible this country is and how free we really are even given all of the encroachment from DC and Sacramento.

I fight for the 2A because I've talked with people who have believed there is nothing they can do to stop governments, the same people who are not allowed to own guns... and I'm not willing to accept that in the country I love, not without a fight.

Oh... and I fight for the 2A because shooting is one hell of a good time.

You've come a long way Al! :thumbsup:

;)

socalsheepdog
06-04-2009, 2:56 PM
Second, the 2nd Amendment is under attack by the most assinine logic out there. Some people actually believe that limiting or eliminating access to arms by legislation will end crime and make society safer. The concept that Americans should simply stand by and support these arguments that laws against arms will prevent the lawless from acting is abhorrent and must be resisted with everything we have. I feel that in many ways the fight to uphold our 2nd Amendment is also a fight to uphold logic and reason.

I feel the same way. I get so angry at all the "nanny" laws that politicians pass in this state. They can't get real work done so they draft all this crap up that won't make a difference. All the pandering politicians do these days makes me sick.

I am also a former Boy Scout. (Do they still have shooting/hunting merit badges?)

I was in Boy Scouts of America also and really fell in love with the outdoors and shooting thanks to this organization. I turned 18 before I could get my Eagle and it has been my only regret in life. I learned everything I need to know to be a responsible firearms owner from Scouts. We had great parent volunteers that loved to shoot and made sure we were safe about it. Scouting taught how to be a good citizen, nothing I learned in school could compare. The skills I learned in the BSA will provide for me and my family for the rest of my life.

They do still have shooting merit badges these days but they are not as tough as they were in years past to earn. When I earned Rifle/Shotgun at summer camp at Lost Valley, myself and one other scout from my troop were the only ones to qualify high enough to earn the badge. Most other kids ran out of money before they made it. It's not that way anymore. I remember the pride the two of us had. We got to help run the range and we were able to shoot many other rifles owned by the Range Master at the time. I remember how much trust was given to us at such a young age and it felt great. Many other kids looked up to us. It was a great experience and it is directly tied to firearms. I will always fight for the right. It is just in me.

MrClamperSir
06-04-2009, 3:13 PM
I believe it is what keeps us free.

SubstanceP
06-04-2009, 4:13 PM
The 2nd Amendment represents one of the most important foundations of a free society, that is, the simple and basic right of self determination. It's very hard to take away a persons ability to determine his own fate when that person is armed and it seems every type of government that evolves devolves eventually reach a point where it wants to take away some, if not all of that ability to choose.

Very well said 'cept one minor detail.

There. Fixed it for ya.

McCrown
06-04-2009, 8:11 PM
To be able to protect my self and my family if I need to.

and because I don't know which is more true:

"the government fears its people" or "the people fear their government"

which scares me every time I think about it.

jacques
06-04-2009, 8:33 PM
The people who sacrificed their lives in the revolutionary war, to win our freedom and give us the greatest country ever, did not do so in vain.

Unfortunately, there are many who would like to change that. The constitution must stand and all rights must be fought for. Without the 2nd, tyranny will prevail. No rights will be protected. It is essential. It is also essential for individual protection and that of foreign invasion.

There is a ton to say on this. But most everything I have to say has been said in this thread.

This is a good thread oak. If anything, it shows that even with all the squabbling that can go on around here, everyone has a common interest.

luvtolean
06-04-2009, 8:36 PM
I'm not sure I do fight for the second honestly. I mean, I shoot, I own OLLs, I read and research, I help others get educated and buy OLLs, I belong to the NRA, I debate on the web...doesn't seem to exactly be fighting.

I don't really remember being taught to shoot, though my best early memories of shooting were with my grandpa in his orchard, and him turning me loose as an 11 year old with a .22...just as he had been. It's a fundamental character trait of me, not even a conscious decision, to be a shooter.

Getting Rifleshooting was pretty cool, most couldn't qualify when I got it either. I still have the 10/22 I got it with; Dad and I bought it at a pawn shop cash and carry like honest men.

I got turned off to guns by waking up from college to an AWB. When I moved in with my wife she wanted a pistol in the house and I couldn't believe the BS I had to go through to get it. Then I started getting educated on the .50BMG ban...and then really got serious about understanding the courts and government when I found out about OLLs. I did get much more serious around Katrina, as it occurred as I was assuming true head of household responsibilities too.

My reading and research on this stuff has made me a far better citizen. Honestly, even as a GATE/AP/IB and college educated student, who has always liked reading history, I couldn't have told you what the 14th Amendment was for were it not for the current events around the Second...

B Strong
06-05-2009, 7:34 AM
I'm a believer in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights as a whole, not just for the rights I exercise and support, but for all of 'em.

Growing up in the gun culture, and seeing the growing assault on the right I cherish, I can relate to those who are denied their rights by government sanction or popular opinion.

I fight in every way possible for the Second Amendment.

I refuse to allow my lifes course to be determined by third parties basing their beliefs on the lowest common denominator.

Untamed1972
06-05-2009, 7:36 AM
They do still have shooting merit badges these days but they are not as tough as they were in years past to earn. When I earned Rifle/Shotgun at summer camp at Lost Valley, myself and one other scout from my troop were the only ones to qualify high enough to earn the badge. Most other kids ran out of money before they made it. It's not that way anymore. I remember the pride the two of us had. We got to help run the range and we were able to shoot many other rifles owned by the Range Master at the time. I remember how much trust was given to us at such a young age and it felt great. Many other kids looked up to us. It was a great experience and it is directly tied to firearms. I will always fight for the right. It is just in me.

Oh the days of when if you wanted something you actually had to EARN it! But what came with that was the pride and satisfaction of personal accomplishment.

But instead of something meaningful like that....today we have "We're all winners!" :thumbsup:

Nodda Duma
06-05-2009, 8:15 AM
I work for 2A rights for the sake of future generations. While I hope and believe that in our lifetime we will not require the use of arms as was needed during the Revolutionary War, I am not arrogant enough to assume that future generations will not.

Unfortunately, there are those in America who would take that choice away from future generations for the sake of their own comfort.

More immediately, it is to ensure I can defend myself and my family, and teach my two daughters and unborn son to defend themselves as well.

-Jason

EDR
06-05-2009, 8:22 AM
I reserve the right to defend my family and myself from bodily harm or worse. I'm also more and more dismayed by legislators creating laws that will not affect the ones they're intended to deter but instead will criminalize those they're trying to protect. It's like planting land mines to deal with a bird problem. It's getting trickier and trickier to walk around these days.

USAFTS
06-05-2009, 2:34 PM
My Great-Grandfather...Both of my grandfathers...My Father...and I....all served this country in the protection of FREEDOM. MANY, MANY lives were sacrificed so that we could exercise ALL of the rights specifically itemized in and guaranteed by the Constitution. If we allow anyone, (let alone our own government), to take those rights away from us, then not only is FREEDOM lost but every life that was given to protect FREEDOM, was lost for no reason at all. the 2nd Amendment represents our FREEDOM.

THAT is why we fight for our 2nd Amendment rights.

Centurion_D
06-05-2009, 3:12 PM
Why do we Fight for 2A Rights?

Because it's the Good Fight!

slappomatt
06-05-2009, 5:18 PM

I vowed at that point to fight (not only looters), but also those who would take away the right of defense. . .

That picture tells me you should have used flash to freeze the blur :p JK cute kid! I have a 2yr old daughter myself. She will be well defended is all I will say.

hoffmang
06-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Because we can't let these guys down:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_1987.1100.501.jpg

-Gene

Al_Gore
06-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Because we can't let these guys down: ...

-Gene

or these ones...

http://www.va.gov/budget/report/2006/html/images/mcnaughton.jpg

7x57
06-06-2009, 6:23 PM
Because we can't let these guys down:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/images/h2/h2_1987.1100.501.jpg

:patriot:

Nearly every one of those boys grew up hunting, fishing, shooting, and it was regarded as a good thing for boys to do.

7x57

06-06-2009, 7:11 PM
Why do I Fight for 2A Rights?

Communism. I've seen it, I've lived it. I will hate it until the end of my life.
Most of you here say guns in the hands of people can defeat tyrants. Regardless of what you may hear from naysayers and firearms "hobbyists" who will tell you AR's and AK's in civilian hands are no match for tanks and machine guns (I remember one such hobbyist posting this here on Calguns), I come before you to tell you that what you believe to be true it is true: on December 22nd 1989 me and thousands of my compatriots we did just that.

http://supravietuitor.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/romanian-revolution-078-760x4761.jpg

We took up arms from the police forces who deserted their units, broke into the Patriotic Guards arms caches (some sort of communist reserve force), joined forces with a few Army units that refused to obey the order to fire upon the civilian population, kicked Ceausescu out of his palace and on Christmas Day 1989 shoot the bastard and his wife dead.

hoffmang
06-06-2009, 8:19 PM
I come before you to tell you that what you believe to be true it is true: on December 22nd 1989 me and thousands of my compatriots we did just that.

We took up arms from the police forces who deserted their units, broke into the Patriotic Guards arms caches (some sort of communist reserve force), joined forces with a few Army units that refused to obey the order to fire upon the civilian population, kicked Ceausescu out of his palace and on Christmas Day 1989 shoot the bastard and his wife dead.

That puts a very interesting gloss on all the Romanian G's that have been remanufactured based on the work of Calguns. My 1986 Romy just needs some Alumahyde and wood staining.

Thanks for helping everyone remember how the real world works.

-Gene

KylaGWolf
06-06-2009, 8:38 PM
While until recently I had never owned a gun I never had a problem with them either. Was more of a case of never finding anyone willing to teach me to shoot. We had a neighbor that was majorly unhinged and he had made threats so I made my boyfriend teach me to shoot so if I had to I could defend myself when he wasn't home. The other reason while I love my country I truly fear my government.

Oaklander your daughter is beautiful. I have to agree totally when one becomes a parent you will do anything within your power to protect them. The running joke in our house is her boyfriends better NOT mess up and they get the first impression of my boyfriend cleaning swords and knives and his dad cleaning and loading guns. LOL

7x57
06-06-2009, 9:17 PM
The running joke in our house is her boyfriends better NOT mess up and they get the first impression of my boyfriend cleaning swords and knives and his dad cleaning and loading guns. LOL

My wife rented some chick-flick vampire movie (her description) and called me in to see one scene. The daughter's date shows up while her dad is cleaning his guns, leading up to the point where he flicks a break-open SxS (I think) shotgun closed with that unmistakable ker-chink and says "send him in."

7x57

06-07-2009, 4:40 PM
That puts a very interesting gloss on all the Romanian G's that have been remanufactured based on the work of Calguns. My 1986 Romy just needs some Alumahyde and wood staining.

Thanks for helping everyone remember how the real world works.

-Gene
Thank you, Gene.
It is very important for the American gun owners to know that they shouldn't take any Constitutional right for granted, and that liberty is a lot easier to lose than to get it back. Between losing all the civil rights we have and preserving them for future generations there is but one thing that can tip the balance between the two: the rifle.
It took my compatriots less than 1 years to lose their freedom and dignity when the government formed by an alliance between socialists and communists passed the gun confiscation law in 1947; but it took 42 years to get their freedom, honor and dignity back. Along these 42 years, tens of millions of people lived in slavery and poverty and other millions died in the so called "reeducation camps" - my grand dad among them.
All these tragedies could have been avoided if more people belonging to my father and grandfather generation would have disobeyed and not surrendered their guns.
Let this be a lesson to those gun hobbysts like the one who had the nerve to declare that since he already has enough guns and plenty of ammunition, he could care less if his candidate for President will ban guns or not.

freeman
06-07-2009, 9:10 PM
If we stick together no one can defeat us...

7x57
06-07-2009, 11:58 PM
...kicked Ceausescu out of his palace and on Christmas Day 1989 shoot the bastard and his wife dead.

Thanks for that (the story, and the act). Sic semper tyrannus.

Oddly enough, I have a Romy G kit in precisely the same state as Gene, and the Alumahyde came a few days ago. I got grief for wanting to dress up an AK beyond simple parkerizing, too.

7x57

PatriotnMore
06-08-2009, 7:29 AM
It seems history is full of these examples, and the same mistakes are made over, and over. Once freedom is lost, and the real abuse starts, that's when people finally wake up and realize how precious freedom is, and it seems, only then are others willing to take back their freedom.

I will never understand our species, we simply are unwilling to learn from history. Nothing going on now, or in 1947 is new, yet we are slowly heading in the same direction, and many people, even here, refuse to believe it can happen here, or that there are those who scheme to take away the liberty of others, for the benefit of the takers.

Were all tin foil hat wearers. Nothing to see here, go back to your TV.

[quote=.454;2597381]
It took my compatriots less than 1 years to lose their freedom and dignity when the government formed by an alliance between socialists and communists passed the gun confiscation law in 1947; but it took 42 years to get their freedom, honor and dignity back.[quote]

DisgruntledReaper
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
...just look back at world history.......an ARMED man is a CITIZEN ,an UN armed man is a SUBJECT....

Besides WAY to many good quotes and reasons already posted......

besides it is the ultimate way to state'.....OH Yea?.....I don't THINK SO!......'--PC term for what we would all say--