PDA

View Full Version : Minors Shooting... Is it breaking the law?

RAW
06-02-2009, 7:34 PM
what are the laws for minors shooting with or without a parent?

ELEVENTH HOUR
06-02-2009, 7:37 PM
At my Range they allow jr. shooters accompanied by an adult.. My son is 13 YO but he's also almost 6ft. tall...http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg131/1InsideMan/Smileys/870.gif

RomanDad
06-02-2009, 7:42 PM
At my Range they allow jr. shooters accompanied by an adult.. My son is 13 YO but he's also almost 6ft. tall...
Seriously... take the gun out of his hand, replace it with a basketball, and plan your retirement in bimini.

RAW
06-02-2009, 7:45 PM
What are the laws? Can Me and my friend shoot without our parents? We are 16 and 17 and we are responsible so please don't say anthing about that, just wondering the laws

ELEVENTH HOUR
06-02-2009, 7:45 PM
Seriously... take the gun out of his hand, replace it with a basketball, and plan your retirement in bimini.
He plays baseball and just started going to the range with me last month... Agreed, I am trying to lure him to try Basketball....:thumbsup:

Quiet
06-02-2009, 8:06 PM
what are the laws for minors shooting with or without a parent?

Here is the CA law.

Penal Code 12101
(a)(1) A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(A) The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves this use of a firearm.
(B) The minor is accompanied by a responsible adult, the minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(C) The minor is at least 16 years of age, the minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(D) The minor has the prior written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian, the minor is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(b)(1) A minor shall not possess live ammunition.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply if one of the following circumstances exists:
(A) The minor has the written consent of his or her parent or legal guardian to possess live ammunition.
(B) The minor is accompanied by his or her parent or legal guardian.
(C) The minor is actively engaged in, or is going to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.
(c) Every minor who violates this section shall be punished as follows:
(1) By imprisonment in the state prison or in a county jail if one of the following applies:
(A) The minor has been found guilty previously of violating this section.
(B) The minor has been found guilty previously of an offense specified in subdivision (b) of Section 12021.1 or in Section 12020, 12220, 12520, or 12560.
(C) The minor has been found guilty of a violation of paragraph (1) of subdivision (a).
(2) Violations of this section other than those violations specified in paragraph (1) shall be punishable as a misdemeanor.
(d) In a proceeding to enforce this section brought pursuant to Article 14 (commencing with Section 601) of Chapter 2 of Part 1 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, the court may require the custodial parent or legal guardian of a minor who violates this section to participate in classes on parenting education that meet the requirements established in Section 16507.7 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(e) As used in this section, "responsible adult" means a person at least 21 years of age who is not within a class of persons prohibited from owning or possessing firearms by virtue of Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code, or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code.
(f) It is not the intent of the Legislature in enacting the amendments to this section or to Section 12078 to expand or narrow the application of current statutory or judicial authority as to the rights of minors to be loaned or to possess live ammunition or a firearm for the purpose of self-defense or the defense of others.

rulas41
06-02-2009, 8:15 PM
English please

Greg-Dawg
06-02-2009, 9:00 PM
You'll need to consider the ranges' policy regarding minors. Read their range rules and comply.

rabagley
06-02-2009, 9:39 PM
Alternatively, get a written permission slip from your parents to shoot firearms and possess ammunition and carry it while shooting. Should cover just about all of the cases. At the range, there's a "responsible adult", which covers just about everything else.

7x57
06-02-2009, 9:49 PM
From what I remember of "How to own a gun and stay out of jail," the permission slip is a very good idea no matter what. I don't have it handy, but I do remember thinking about it for when my boys are older. Here was my conclusion: get the slip and keep it with you any time you possess a gun. Iif you are responsible and your parents recognize that, it should not be a problem. If you don't have it, you may be vulnerable to how strictly the DA and the judge decide to interpret the law.

But best of all would be for you to get the book and read it yourself, and then discuss what you think it means here. That way you try to answer your own question, then get feedback.

7x57

RAW
06-02-2009, 9:58 PM
Penal code 12101 states i can carry a gun and ammunition as long as i have a written consent from my parents.

Quiet
06-03-2009, 1:00 AM
Penal code 12101 states i can carry a gun and ammunition as long as i have a written consent from my parents.

Yes.

Also keep in mind that along with the written permission slip from your parent/guardian, the following conditions also have to be met...

... is actively engaged in, or is going to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

... or...

... is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

... or...

... is on lands owned or lawfully possessed by his or her parent or legal guardian, and the minor is actively engaged in, or is in direct transit to or from, a lawful, recreational sport, including, but not limited to, competitive shooting, or agricultural, ranching, or hunting activity, or a motion picture, television, or video production, or entertainment or theatrical event, the nature of which involves the use of a firearm.

RAW
06-03-2009, 5:57 AM
is shooting at our lake, which i have been told is completely legal to do as long as you dont shoot over water. do you think i can do that.

Ralphie Parker
06-03-2009, 7:50 AM
At the lake, with written permission ON HAND, actively shooting, OR going DIRECTLY to and from home, PROBABLY. (assuming the lake was your parents)

Stopping along the way to do an errand, maybe even to get lunch, could be a very bad idea. In fact, without an adult it still might be unlawful. You may want an 18 year old friend enroute.

Glock22Fan
06-03-2009, 8:20 AM
I will take the word of the OP that he and his friend are responsible people. However, they should bear in mind that a large number of their age group are not particularly responsible and have had little or no gun training.

If I saw a 16 year old with a gun, I would be very concerned that he or she might not be responsible and may be about some nefarious undertaking.

So, I would caution the OP that, although he knows he is responsible, he might well get treated as if he's not. Dress smartly, carry the firearms in suitable cases when not using them, be prepared to be challenged and behave in a polite, safe and responsible way.

Greg-Dawg
06-03-2009, 8:46 AM
I will take the word of the OP that he and his friend are responsible people. However, they should bear in mind that a large number of their age group are not particularly responsible and have had little or no gun training.

+1.

Theseus
06-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Yes! If you see above, the law only pertains to CONCEALABLE FIREARMS and LIVE AMMUNITION.

For long guns you would only need permission for possession of live ammo.
For handguns and other concealable firearms you would need permission from parents for both the concealable firearm AND live ammunition.

Although I don't believe there is any legal requirement, when I have a friend hose-sit or borrow my firearms minor or otherwise I always provide written permission for the firearms to avoid issues.

Curiosity would be HSC? I will look it up.

rabagley
06-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Theseus is right. You need the written permission to possess live ammunition, but you can possess a rifle or shotgun without written permission since 12101 doesn't mention long guns at all.

Quiet is incorrect that you are taking a risk if you do something else other than travel to and from a sporting event as long as you're just carrying long guns and ammunition (with written permission). As soon as you add a handgun to the pile, those cautions are quite relevant.

I've already written the permission cards for my kids, printed them up on business card stock, signed/dated, and laminated them so they can put 'em in their wallet and just always have it on hand.

E Pluribus Unum
06-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Although I don't believe there is any legal requirement, when I have a friend hose-sit or borrow my firearms minor or otherwise I always provide written permission for the firearms to avoid issues.

You have a local burglar stealing your garden hoses??? I hate that; the good ones are expensive!

M198
06-03-2009, 4:05 PM

If I saw a 16 year old with a gun, I would be very concerned that he or she might not be responsible and may be about some nefarious undertaking.

So, I would caution the OP that, although he knows he is responsible, he might well get treated as if he's not. Dress smartly, carry the firearms in suitable cases when not using them, be prepared to be challenged and behave in a polite, safe and responsible way.

We let 17 year olds join the Marines. I do agree that I might give an unsupervised 16 with a gun a second look at the range however.

M198
06-03-2009, 4:07 PM
Yes! If you see above, the law only pertains to CONCEALABLE FIREARMS and LIVE AMMUNITION.

For long guns you would only need permission for possession of live ammo.
For handguns and other concealable firearms you would need permission from parents for both the concealable firearm AND live ammunition.

Curiosity would be HSC? I will look it up.

I belive the HSC would be in effect for purchasing (21+) or transferring (18+) but not possession.

alpha_romeo_XV
06-03-2009, 4:26 PM
I would rather be shooting in the vicinity of a responsible 16 Y/O than an irresponsilble 36 Y/O. That being said there is a reason that car insurance rates are higher for teenagers or new drivers (regardless of age) Statisically they have more "accidents" due to their lack of maturity or experience. Throw in "under the influence" and all bets are off.

Went out to the Orosco Ridge shooting area of Cleveland NF near Ramona a couple Saturdays ago. We saw "mature" shooters that were shooting at rocks and off the top of a hill without a good backstop. There were ricochets and overhead rounds frequent enough to seem like a war zone. Couldn't get out there fast enough. On the way out took note of all the trash/junk that "adults" haul up and leave there - saw a shot up treadmill this time around instead of the usual TV and washing machine.

Be sober, safe and keep the place clean and you will give young shooters a good image.

Theseus
06-03-2009, 6:40 PM
You have a local burglar stealing your garden hoses??? I hate that; the good ones are expensive!

No, don't steal it. It is a n evil black hose. . . Has a tendency to go around the neighborhood and strangle small furry animals without provocation. I need someone to keep an eye on it. . . Haha.

I knew when I wrote it something was not quite right but couldn't put my nose on it!