PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with American defence? PIC added

Blacktail 8541
06-02-2009, 1:20 PM
I've tried to contact American Defence by email and phone. All I get is an answering machine and no call backs.

This is over a couple of days and trying multiple numbers.

I ordered a set of replacement rings and only received 1 ring. I also had an issue with one of the rings on a recon mount that I bought. It was chipped out on the top where the holes seemed to be drilled to close top the edge.
I just wanted to know if my other ring has been shipped and what they are going to do about the chipped ring.

I like their mounts, but if this is the service that they are giving customers I will sell what I have and buy LaRue. Marks attitude may be over the top at times, but his products and service are tops.

recshooter
06-02-2009, 1:28 PM
tag for info

EBR Works
06-02-2009, 2:12 PM
They sent replacement rings to me last month in less than a week. Great customer service for me.

Blacktail 8541
06-02-2009, 2:34 PM
I'm glad that they took care of you, What really gets me is the no communication.
Trying to get a hold of a company that does not answer phone lines is a pet peeve of mine.

aplinker
06-02-2009, 2:41 PM
there are a couple vendors here that are VERY pro-ADM. Maybe try to see if they have some info.

maxicon
06-02-2009, 5:28 PM
Did you buy from a vendor, or directly from ADM? If from a vendor, I'd go to them first.

Looking to see how this plays out.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 5:39 PM
there are a couple vendors here that are VERY pro-ADM. Maybe try to see if they have some info.

Cuz ADM give them good margain.... while LaRue don't even entertain vendors much....

EBR Works
06-02-2009, 5:47 PM
I bought mine from Midway and dealt with ADM directly for support. They were A+ IMO.

Blacktail 8541
06-02-2009, 9:02 PM
Bought the mounts from vendors. Bought the ring set from ADM direct.

Doesn't really matter though, they never should have made it past QC.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/JDSISCO6/000_3479.jpg

aplinker
06-02-2009, 9:42 PM
Cuz ADM give them good margain.... while LaRue don't even entertain vendors much....

I'm aware... ;)

At 10% before shipping it's tough to make anything, so it's no surprise there are essentially no LaRue vendors...

recshooter
06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I am :eek: at that pic.

Kind of embarrassing for their company--You are right, never should have come off the line and into the store.

I was looking at some of their mounts, but may give it a second thought (although I'm sure this is the exception, not the rule for their products).

supersonic
06-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Bought the mounts from vendors. Bought the ring set from ADM direct.

Doesn't really matter though, they never should have made it past QC.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/JDSISCO6/000_3479.jpg

Is it just me? WHY, oh WHY did you mount a defective ring??????? Are you sure you didn't damage it when you were installing it??? I just find it strange, considering the customer service reports of others (and personal experience) are so good. Either way, I think that once you get ahold of AD, it is going to be VERY hard to convince them that the ring came that way. If they DO decide to take care of you, you should report back with KUDOS.;)

taloft
06-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Not hard at all. Either the chipped areas are finished, indicating that this happened prior to reaching the finishing phase or they are shiny indicating that this occurred after the finishing phase of production. Could it have happened in shipping? I do find it strange that the chipped areas are both top dead center of the screw holes. Perhaps a bit is programmed to ride too low or seated too low during CNC milling? Possibly material was seated poorly in CNC? There are many ways for parts to be produced out of spec. It appears a little too precise to be caused by poor installation. Although, stranger things have happened. It would be too hard to determine with only this one picture. I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.

However, I do agree that mounting it wasn't a good idea.

supersonic
06-03-2009, 6:04 AM
The other thing that is just GLARING out at me is the non-matching bolt. THAT would have to be a major 'hiccup' for AD's QC, and if the mount actually can be proven to have been shipped like this: someone's job should be in SERIOUS jeopardy!;)

fliparch
06-03-2009, 6:24 AM
I have 2 AD mounts, for my Leupold Scope and my Harris Bi-pod and NO problems. You should return and get a new set, give them another try, at least this is what I would do. In my opinion, they make good products.

FWIW, there have been many items I've bought, gun and non-gun related I've received and returned for an exchange. I still haven't received a replacement that hasn't satisfied me...BUT IF, they fail you twice. I say ABANDON SHIP! Look at other rings for sure. Good Luck.

Blacktail 8541
06-03-2009, 7:22 AM
Is it just me? WHY, oh WHY did you mount a defective ring??????? Are you sure you didn't damage it when you were installing it??? I just find it strange, considering the customer service reports of others (and personal experience) are so good. Either way, I think that once you get ahold of AD, it is going to be VERY hard to convince them that the ring came that way. If they DO decide to take care of you, you should report back with KUDOS.;)

I guess you don't have your eyes open, There is clearly finish over the chipped out area. I mounted the rings because I needed them, I was just going to let it ride as it would not affect performance. But when installing them with an inch pound torque wrench the hole stripped at 8in lbs. They as supposed to be tightened to 20in lbs. So the hole had to be enlarged to a 10/32 size and re tapped and the head modified to the correct size.

Blacktail 8541
06-03-2009, 7:25 AM
I recieved this reply on the m4carbine board this moring:

ADM Offline
Manufacturer

blacktail 8541
your problem has been resolved and your parts are on the way . sorry for the mix up and delay in gettig back to you . we are extemely busy .
thanks
ADM

Blacktail 8541
06-03-2009, 7:36 AM
And just as an after thought on this thread. I generally do not post on minor trouble with manufactures concerning their products. But in this instance The product was clearly defective and they did not respond to phone calls or email after multiple attempts. While I can appreciate that they are busy, that does not excuse them. They do have a customer service department. If they had not replaced the ring because of the field modification to repair it. I could have accepted that. However, no communication is not acceptable.

This issue would not have even been brought up had they sent my complete order of 2 replacement rings that I ordered and paid for. I received 1. The re tapping of the hole on the damaged ring has held up fine and is serviceable. The replacement rings are for another of their mounts that I am replacing the scope and needed 30mm rings.

supersonic
06-03-2009, 7:51 AM
So: American Defense is as busy as every other firearms-related manufacturer (surprise, surprise!), so there was a delay in customer service. When American Defense caught up with their backlog, they contacted you and are sending you a new mount, FREE of charge, and you DON'T have to return the defective mount (that many manufacturers would have voided the warranty on since you decided to mount despite knowing they were defective) for proof of your claim. Sounds like American Defense is a stand-up company, and they came through with flying colors!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Blacktail 8541
06-03-2009, 10:15 AM
So: American Defense is as busy as every other firearms-related manufacturer (surprise, surprise!), so there was a delay in customer service. When American Defense caught up with their backlog, they contacted you and are sending you a new mount, FREE of charge, and you DON'T have to return the defective mount (that many manufacturers would have voided the warranty on since you decided to mount despite knowing they were defective) for proof of your claim. Sounds like American Defense is a stand-up company, and they came through with flying colors!!!!!!:thumbsup:

No it was not the delay that was the problem. It was the fact that they did not answer phones when they have a customer service department!
Busy or not they should have replied back within 48hrs. They only addressed this issue when it was posted on a board where they are an advitiser.

I'm not getting a new mount I am getting a new ring as they are replaceable.
The defect appeared cosmetic, but in reality was only a sign of a DEEPER DEFECT.

Once again the ring issue was only brought up when they messed up on my order and only sent 1 ring instead of the set that was ordered. They did come thru in the end, but only after some prodding.

supersonic
06-03-2009, 5:46 PM
Either way I would have to agree that it is frustrating, to say the least. I'm dealing with idiocy, myself, in the form of the customer support area of a very popular boutique 10mm Auto Ammo company. I can't even get my order because of their incompetence!:rolleyes: