PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 1917 .30-06- Major Issues

BRYANDENNY71
06-02-2009, 11:34 AM
So I bought this rifle from a fellow Cal Gunner and it doesnt fire. It doesnt do much of anything. I think one of the magazine springs is toast because one is soft and smooth and the other is really stiff making it impossible to load the bullets. It forces the bullets to get kicked up at an angle when loading more than a round or two. When closing the bolt the blot gets hung up on the magazine spring plate. Then close the bolt....pull the trigger.....no bang. I've checked the bolt and the firing pin works fine but its almost like the bolt doesnt reach the bullet. It also doesnt release the bullet.....backing my thought of the bolt not reaching the bullet.

Just looking for some help. I'm new to this sport and would love to get this thing firing.

I'm in So Cal near Riverside so if any of you gurus are local and can help me out I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bryan

john323
06-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I can take a look at it.Seems to be several problems , bolt , extractor etc.Give me a call at 323-722-3903 johnsgunsmithing@live.com Sorry I'm not near Riverside but it wont cost you anything for me to look at it except gas.

TRICKSTER
06-03-2009, 8:44 AM
M1917 only has one magazine spring. Are you talking about two different springs that you have tried in the rifle? What are the markings on the bolt?
Could someone have replaced it with a P-14 bolt? They look the same but the
P-14 bolt wont work in a M1917 without modifications. Posting photo's of the bolt would be helpful.

Seesm
06-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Sounds like a mag and headspace issue (just quickly reading without looking at it) and no matter what it is we can fix it for you. You have Pm. Thanks!

BRYANDENNY71
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. I will check the numbers on the bolt. I checked the serial number on the barrel and for some reason it is out of the serial number range on here http://oldguns.net/sn_php/mildateslookup.php?file=us_m1917rem.dat

And I wasnt aware that there was only one magazine spring. Maybe its the guides or something because when you push on one end of the mag plate its soft and the other its stiff. I compared this with my Dads Remington 1903 and his is smooth.