PDA

View Full Version : Help: Private Party Transfer Needed ASAP!

mrhappy
06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Okay, so I'm trying to do a simple FTF PPT with a fellow CG'er for a pistol. We want to meet in Lancaster, and here's the problem:

On Target wants $25 fee + $25 DROS
Desert Shooter Supply wants $50 fee + $25 DROS
Ricks Pawn wants $15 fee + $25 DROS

Spoke with Desert, the old curmudgeon said that the PC is "horse****".
Spoke with Rick's, directed him to the DOJ FAQ, he says talk to Ray, who isn't there.
Can't get ahold of On Target, no one answers (comforting).

Anybody got a helpful FFL that knows the law and can help me get this transfer done tomorrow (Wednesday) at noon in Lancaster?
Barring any help from you guys, I will go with Ricks Pawn. ($15+$25).

Thanks guys!

tonelar
06-02-2009, 11:20 AM
At only $5 over the limit, Ricks sounds like the way to go. Plus with the fed requirement, all handguns must transfer with a lock now.

Vin496
06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Are you sure they understand it is a PPT and not a transfer?

By law the max they can charge is $35 for a PPT.

whobob
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Private person arrest after the PPT. They violated CPC 12028(a). You can make an arrest with a misdemeanor in your present, but a peace officer can't.

mrhappy
06-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Well seeing how its a LNIB Ruger P345 with the CA safety features and Ruger's provided locks, I don't think a lock is an issue.
Update; I just spoke with Grant Jaramillo, On Target, who promised to research his PPT transfer fee schedule--I am awaiting his reply.

mrhappy
06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh yes, I was quite polite and explicit in explaining to all parties contacted that this was a FTF PPT and pointed out the fact that it is Item 14 in the FAQ of the DOJ website. You can lead a horse to water....

BONECUTTER
06-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Well seeing how its a LNIB Ruger P345 with the CA safety features and Ruger's provided locks, I don't think a lock is an issue.
Update; I just spoke with Grant Jaramillo, On Target, who promised to research his PPT transfer fee schedule--I am awaiting his reply.

Still need a lock receipt within the last 30 days even if the gun comes with one. The seller can write you a receipt. Stupid, but its the law.

Gryff
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Go into Desert Shooter Supply, start the transfer, then when the ask for the illegal fee, tell them "Never mind" and walk out. Once they start the transfer, they owe the $25 DROS fee to the State.

Once you finally decide on a final place for the PPT, make sure you send a letter to the CA DOJ pointing out their illegal activity if they over-charged on the fee. FFLs need to learn that PPTs are not profit-making activities...they are obligations for having an FFL.

scobun
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Still need a lock receipt within the last 30 days even if the gun comes with one. The seller can write you a receipt. Stupid, but its the law.

And you can return the lock as well.

If you can't find a shop to do the $35 PPT, and then have them give you a receipt that states PPT somewhere and fees greater than $35 somewhere else. Let them know you'll be sending a copy to the DOJ BOF unless they give you a refund when you go in to pick it up. That should do it.

whobob
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Penal Code
837. A private person may arrest another:
1. For a public offense committed or attempted in his presence.
2. When the person arrested has committed a felony, although not
in his presence.
3. When a felony has been in fact committed, and he has reasonable
cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

cbrrdr44
06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
On Target Arms apologizes....misread on the verbage. PPT's are $35, thats total including DROS. Hope that clears things up.

Happy shooting.

mrhappy
06-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Grant, kudos for being a responsible FFL. Gary and I will be out your way tomorrow to complete our PPT.
I would love to be able to do a citizen's arrest; it's been 20+ years since I've had the privilege of arresting anyone (former State of California Firefighter/Guard, State Military Dept), but I'll pass. For now, just remember the names of those who continue to be ignorant FFL holders.

383green
06-02-2009, 12:21 PM
On Target Arms apologizes....misread on the verbage. PPT's are $35, thats total including DROS. Hope that clears things up.

Happy shooting.

:thumbsup:

CHS
06-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Go into Desert Shooter Supply, start the transfer, then when the ask for the illegal fee, tell them "Never mind" and walk out. Once they start the transfer, they owe the $25 DROS fee to the State.

That's a really good idea actually :)

Once the DROS is submitted, the state gets their money no matter what.

It's not your fault that you didn't realize they charge higher than the law allows.

gregorylucas
06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
And you can return the lock as well.

If you can't find a shop to do the $35 PPT, and then have them give you a receipt that states PPT somewhere and fees greater than $35 somewhere else. Let them know you'll be sending a copy to the DOJ BOF unless they give you a refund when you go in to pick it up. That should do it.

Can't you just sign a safe affidavit even for a handgun? It's been so long since I bought my 1911...

I'm just waiting for 2A to become incorporated so we can challenge the stupid safe storage laws but that is probably relatively low on the priority list.

Greg

foxtrotuniformlima
06-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Can't you just sign a safe affidavit even for a handgun? It's been so long since I bought my 1911...

I'm just waiting for 2A to become incorporated so we can challenge the stupid safe storage laws but that is probably relatively low on the priority list.

Greg

No. Not for a handgun.

383green
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Uh, in case you missed the memo, the 2nd Amendment is already incorporate here.

ke6guj
06-02-2009, 12:51 PM

Not anymore. Reason being is that federal law now requires locks to be supplied with a handgun transfer, and the CA safe affidavit does not comply with that.