PDA

View Full Version : How to do PPT from Oregon to California

crazy
06-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a friend in Oregon that has a Ruger 10/22 that I want to buy. Can he ship it to a California FFL or deliver it to a CA FFL to do a transfer? Any help would be appreciated.

gose
06-02-2009, 10:50 AM
A PPT is a face-to-face transaction between two California residents, which you can't do, since your friend is located in Oregon.
However, it's perfectly legal for him to ship the gun to an FFL in California. Not all FFLs will accept shipments from non-FFLs though, so you might want to double-check with the FFL first.
The FFL will likely charge you $40-$50 on top of the DROS for the transfer, so unless you're getting a really good deal, it might not be worth it for a cheap 10/22.

ke6guj
06-02-2009, 10:52 AM
he can either ship it or deliver it in person, both are legally acceptable.

You would need to check with your FFL to see if he will accept a firearms shipment from a non-licensee, and what paperwork requirements he has (such as a copy of your friend's DL in the shipment). Not all FFLs are willing to accept shipments from non-licensees.

And per CA law, it is not a PPT transfer, in which the FFL would be limited to a $35 total transfer fee, but is just a transfer in which he can charge whatever fee he wishes, could be $25-200 + DROS. So shop around with an eye on the FFL's fees.

crazy
06-02-2009, 11:15 AM
I get all these alphabets mixed up. I want to do this through a FFL. I did not want to do this face to face. So if he comes to CA, he can deliver it to a FFL of my choosing to do the transfer? Someone told me that because he was from out of state that he couldn't. That is why I don't really listen to people (who don't know) very much. I am in the Central Valley. Does anyone know of a FFL that would do it for a good price? The reason I want this 10/22 is that it is the Wally World Special. Stainless with a 22" barrel and a nice checkered stock. Can't get them anywhere else but Wally World and they don't sell guns in CA because we are not to be trusted. Thanks for the help.

crazy
06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Did I read right. Person to person through a FFL for CA (both) residents is $35 max per DOJ?

ke6guj
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM
I get all these alphabets mixed up. I want to do this through a FFL. I did not want to do this face to face. So if he comes to CA, he can deliver it to a FFL of my choosing to do the transfer? Someone told me that because he was from out of state that he couldn't..Both state and federal law allow for him to either ship or hand deliver the rifle to the FFL. It would be logged into the FFL's inventory and then DROSed out to you as if it was a purchase/transfer from the FFL. As such, the FFL can charge whatever fee he wishes.

What people may have been saying is that you can't do a CA-defined "Private Party Transfer" which is when two CA-residents go to a dealer to do the transfer. In that case, the FFL is limited to $35 total, and other stuff, like the handgun Roster do not apply (not an issue in this case).

ke6guj
06-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Did I read right. Person to person through a FFL for CA (both) residents is $35 max per DOJ?Correct, but since the seller is not a CA-resident, the FFL can charge as much as he wishes.

crazy
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Awesome. It's good to be informed. Thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

schizrade2
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Good to know. About to do this myself.