PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Best Two Stage Trigger

hylander
06-02-2009, 7:51 AM
I want to replace me RRA single Stage with a two Stage.

Darklyte27
06-02-2009, 8:02 AM
how much you willing to spend? theres 2 stage RRA for 99$ shipped from ar15sales.com thats about 4 lbs. stock single stage is about 7-8 lbs.

or you can spend over 300$ for timed, tuned adjustable triggers under 1 lb.

IPSICK
06-02-2009, 8:04 AM

Never shot with one myself but I hear the Geissele trigger is the best two-stage out there. But it's quite a step up in price from a RRA. A Bill Springfield tuned trigger is supposed to be really good as well and comes at a better price point.

I shoot with an AR Gold trigger which isn't really a two-stage but it is very similar to my 1911 trigger. It has a very short and light take-up before a crisp 3lb break and a very short reset.

ocabj
06-02-2009, 8:28 AM
I use the Geissele. It's by far an excellent trigger.

That said, one of my friends uses a Jewell and he went Distinguished with it in just over a year (from his first EIC match to the one he legged out at).

X-Treme Shooting Products just came out with a new High Power SR legal trigger that you may want to look into:

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/

The name of the company may sound dumb (like you're supposed to pound a Mountain Dew while jumping out of a plane and then shoot on the way down), but the company knows what they're doing. They're the ones who are manufacturing the Chombart triggers Stateside. As a matter of fact, I own one for my Remington 700:

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/10540-2/IMG_2276-1024-pp.jpg

http://www.ocabj.net/gallery2/d/10792-2/IMG_3034-pp.jpg

So while the X-Treme AR trigger is new, it should be a good product. I know my CG Jackson trigger made by X-Treme is an awesome trigger. Crystal clear break.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 8:28 AM

The current "best" is the Geissele adjustable, about $300

Beofre that, KAC 2-stage was regarded as "the best".

alpha_romeo_XV
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
If you have been using a RRA single stage, you would notice a big difference in just a RRA 2 stage ($100-125). Keep in mind that if you want to compete in EIC match, maybe even NRA service rifle match?, your final trigger pull should be greater than 4.5 lbs. If they check triggers at a match, and sometimes they do, they use a simple go/no-go weight. If you're trigger is at 4.49 lbs it will fail. Ask me how I know. A disconector spring can weaken over a couple of years of use and cause a drop in trigger weight. For a match class rifle or non-competing build you can go as low as you can handle.

Jonathan Doe
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Jewell trigger is a nice one.

savasyn
06-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Another less expensive option that I like slightly better than the RRA 2-stage is the CMMG unit. I think they are around $150 or so and offer you take up and over travel adjustments. As an additional bonus(and the reason I got it) is that it has a rounded hammer than works fine with an unmodified 9mm bolt carrier.

It's definitely not as nice as the high end triggers listed above, but it seems to be the best of the lower priced units.

gewgaw
06-02-2009, 2:35 PM
+1 on the Geissele, but it's pricey. I have one on my AR10 and it's got a smooth 1st stage and a super crisp 2nd stage. Before the Geissele, I never knew what people were talking about when they said the trigger break should feel like breaking a glass rod... now I do.

Agro
06-02-2009, 6:25 PM
You should be able to get a RRA 2 stage for less than $100 new if you are patient and wait. I believe LANWorld had them for $90 or something. Then you can send it off to Bill Springfield and for $35 he will work his magic and make it break so cleanly and lighten it.

BTW, I heard Jewell triggers are nice but not worth the effort to get the damn things working right. Geiselle are rock solid. Timney are rock solid.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 6:27 PM
Why RRA? OP is asking for THE BEST.... RRA is good bang for the $$, no where "THE BEST"...

EBR Works
06-02-2009, 6:41 PM
I have never used a Giselle but I love my Jewell. About $200.

Pthfndr
06-02-2009, 7:25 PM

What's the intended purpose of the trigger. 3 gun? High Power Service Rifle? Match Rifle? Home Defense?

If it's for competition that's one thing. If it's for life protection don't use an adjustable trigger. As reliable as they are, Murphy will appear at the worst time.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 7:28 PM
What's the intended purpose of the trigger. 3 gun? High Power Service Rifle? Match Rifle? Home Defense?

If it's for competition that's one thing. If it's for life protection don't use an adjustable trigger. As reliable as they are, Murphy will appear at the worst time.

I tends to agree with that....

So.... look into Giessele SSA trigger... non-adjustable Giessele.... OR the KAC 2-stage trigger.... both of them had gone thru serious tests and are used in situation where life/death matters...

6172crew
06-02-2009, 8:55 PM
I have one of the older drop in, single stage, Timney (yes I know what the OP asked for) and if you want your rifle to double up on you when you dont want it to then this is the one.

At least 3 folks have a new eye brow from the Mark2 3x9 that sits on my SPRish setup.

If you dont have a sling setup to keep her tight it will bite you every now and again.

I bought it because it seemed like a trigger I could move from one platform to another but I need to send it back and have them look at it, Im tired of the follow ups..I have a M16 for that.:(

Oh, I talked to my brother who is shooting for the Marine Corps on the east coast and they are using the Giessele, said he has 4 uppers to switch to depending on the string of fire but the trigger stays the same. Must be nice to have the PWS build your rifles.

ocabj
06-02-2009, 9:07 PM
said he has 4 uppers to switch to depending on the string of fire but the trigger stays the same.

Whoa. That's not legal CMP or NRA matches.

NRA Rule 9.1, subsection a:

The changing of the upper barrel assembly on a Service Rifle (Rule 3.1.2) is not allowed. (See Rule 3.18).

If they allowed that in Divisionals or Interservice, I'd be surprised.

hylander
06-02-2009, 9:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys :thumbsup:
I should have been more specific :o
I meant standard Two Stage triggers like RRA, CMMG.
I just bought an RRA NM Two Stage.
The rifles main purpose is Yote hunting, Squirrel Poppin'

aplinker
06-02-2009, 9:46 PM
I tends to agree with that....

So.... look into Giessele SSA trigger... non-adjustable Giessele.... OR the KAC 2-stage trigger.... both of them had gone thru serious tests and are used in situation where life/death matters...

There's no way I'd pay the $ on a KAC.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 9:58 PM

Giessele is THE STANDARD.... you just have to pony up the $$....

Next time when you ask... list your $-range... like which is the BEST 2-stage trigger under $50 or something.... :rofl:

aplinker
06-02-2009, 9:59 PM
Giessele is THE STANDARD.... you just have to pony up the $$....

Next time when you ask... list your $-range... like which is the BEST 2-stage trigger under $50 or something.... :rofl:

For target/hunting... the RRA is a good trigger.

Jicko
06-02-2009, 10:25 PM
For target/hunting... the RRA is a good trigger.

Not disagreeing with that.... the RRA 2-stage is indeed a good trigger...

Pthfndr
06-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Send it to John Holliger at White Oak Precision and have him tune it. IIRC he charges $50 to tune your trigger. If you had asked about this before buying it you could have purchased it from him already tuned.

Tuned Rock River Arms Trigger, Complete $120

I have two of them from him in my High Power Service rifles. I had 2 Jewels. One was always causing problems no matter what I did. the other was ok. I think his tuned RRA trigger works great. Is it a Geisslle? No. But it costs a lot less and I think I can say with confidence I've never lost a point because the tune RRA wasn't good enough.

But then I only have Master rank, I'm not David Tubbs.

God Bless The Mauser
06-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I use the RRA 2-stage and it's SO much better than the stock trigger, my groups got a lot better right away.

akspetsnaz
06-03-2009, 10:24 PM
highend - KAC

budget - RRA

popeye4
06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
If you have been using a RRA single stage, you would notice a big difference in just a RRA 2 stage ($100-125). Keep in mind that if you want to compete in EIC match, maybe even NRA service rifle match?, your final trigger pull should be greater than 4.5 lbs. If they check triggers at a match, and sometimes they do, they use a simple go/no-go weight. If you're trigger is at 4.49 lbs it will fail. Ask me how I know. A disconector spring can weaken over a couple of years of use and cause a drop in trigger weight. For a match class rifle or non-competing build you can go as low as you can handle.

Usually they check after the fact if you win something (like the match or a leg). DQ at that point REALLY sucks.....

aplinker
06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
highend - KAC

budget - RRA

Ever handled a KAC? It's NOT worth the $. There are reports of it becoming single-staged, just like a RRA, too.

hylander
06-08-2009, 9:18 PM
Just installed an RRA NM Two Stage :cool:
What a Difference, Crisp at #4.75 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ajaffe
06-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Where is the trigger break found at for a RRA 2 Stage? I found a great pull but the break is all the way at the end of the pull. I am not sure if this is normal or not as before my RRA single stage was breaking halfway through the pull.

akspetsnaz
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Ever handled a KAC? It's NOT worth the $. There are reports of it becoming single-staged, just like a RRA, too.

Don't know the current MRSP but got my 2 sets directly from KAC years ago for $175 (? or less) per set.

hylander
06-09-2009, 6:08 PM
Where is the trigger break found at for a RRA 2 Stage? I found a great pull but the break is all the way at the end of the pull. I am not sure if this is normal or not as before my RRA single stage was breaking halfway through the pull.

Thats a Normal Two Stage.
First Stage is a smooth easy pull, About #2
Then you hit the second Stage, where the Trigger is harder to pull and it breaks Clean, mine breaks at #4.75 with little or no overtravel.

yock
06-09-2009, 6:32 PM
I am getting ready to buy a lower kit, should I get the single or 2 stage?

hylander
06-12-2009, 10:23 PM
I am getting ready to buy a lower kit, should I get the single or 2 stage?

I would definitely get the Two Stage.
No compairison

bombadillo
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Outside of a Kidd trigger for a 10/22, this is the best trigger i've ever felt. Better than the geissele (puts flame suit on.) http://www.americantrigger.com/

This thing is better than the geissele trigger on a few levels and falls short on some such as adjustments. It is what it is but its one sweet piece of machinery.