PDA

View Full Version : first OLL build, kit or piece together?

yock
06-02-2009, 1:22 AM
I was wondering if I should wait the 2-4 months (or more) to order a kit or should I buy all the parts & build it myself? I have never built an OLL but I have a lot of mechanical abilities & am willing to do the work. I have read about head spacing & the other stuff/tools involved.

Just looking for opinions & pro/cons of a build.

Thanks,
yock

247Nino
06-02-2009, 2:39 AM
build it yourself, it will mean a lot more to you, source out each part and accessory and then if you dont like it when youre done then change something out...

headspacing is probably the hardest thing to check for, meaning with guages =EASY...

good luck, have fun

AlliedArmory
06-02-2009, 2:52 AM
build it yourself.

you will learn the rifle very well in case you ever need to replace anything.

Mississippi
06-02-2009, 7:47 AM
Build it yourself. I just finished my second build. Take your time and you will save a lot of money.

tomd1584
06-02-2009, 8:52 AM
I say build it yourself. Its fun, and for me I know how everything works now, since i never did it before. BUT, marksarmory has complete CMMG's for $880. not too bad.

Richie Caketown
06-02-2009, 9:06 AM
build your lower yourself and just a complete upper

yock
06-02-2009, 10:09 AM
build it yourself, it will mean a lot more to you, source out each part and accessory and then if you dont like it when youre done then change something out...

headspacing is probably the hardest thing to check for, meaning with guages =EASY...

good luck, have fun

what gauges/tools do I need?

gun toting monkeyboy
06-02-2009, 1:27 PM
For the lower? I put two together last week with a padded vise, a pair of needle-nosed pliers, a hammer and a punch. None of which were anything other than tools I had laying around. I used masking tape to protect the finish on the first one, but didn't bother with the second one. Those were my first two builds. As for wait times, what are you talking about? Anvil Arms has LPKs in stock for $80. I was able to scrounge parts for my next build for about $72, less the trigger guard, which everybody was out of. I had Anvil ship me another one for $7, along with the LPK I am getting from them. So it comes down to $79 vs. $80. They really aren't that hard. Just remember that the cone-shaped disconnect spring goes large end DOWN in the trigger. I spent over 2 hours trying to get it to fit the other way. Duh. Also, there is a really, really good how-to video on youtube. I used that as a step-by-step guide, and did fine. Just look for "AR lower assembly" in the search. It is a 2 part video.

-Mb

aplinker
06-02-2009, 1:29 PM
Skip building your own complete upper, but do everything else. That eliminates 90% of the tools.

Get an LPK, complete upper and stock kit.

domokun
06-02-2009, 1:32 PM
Built my own lower, bought complete upper and slapped it on the lower.

pt606
06-02-2009, 2:37 PM
Yeah, save yourself the trouble of headspacing and get a complete upper receiver. Building your lower and piecing the rest of your weapon together makes it that much more satisfying when you complete it.

I liken it to cars; that is, most people are perfectly content buying complete cars at the car lot, then there are those who want to take the time and care to find a beat-up Camaro at the junkyard then piece it back together to make a *****in' ride.

Both options end with a functioning item, but the means by which the ends were achieved can (and most likely will) result in a much more meaningful possession.

MasterYong
06-02-2009, 2:49 PM
You seem concerned that it will take longer to build the rifle from a complete upper because of lead times than it would to just build it from parts.

It WILL take WAY longer to get all the parts in this current market than it will to find a suitable complete upper. When I wanted to build some OLL ARs, I found the three uppers I wanted in less than two weeks, to my door. That was early April I believe, and I hear that supply has actually loosened up since then.

The hardest parts to get in my experience are LPKs, and I still found five sets in that two week period.

yock
06-02-2009, 3:25 PM
Skip building your own complete upper, but do everything else. That eliminates 90% of the tools.

Get an LPK, complete upper and stock kit.

I'm not worried about the tools I don't mind buying them.

You seem concerned that it will take longer to build the rifle from a complete upper because of lead times than it would to just build it from parts.

It WILL take WAY longer to get all the parts in this current market than it will to find a suitable complete upper. When I wanted to build some OLL ARs, I found the three uppers I wanted in less than two weeks, to my door. That was early April I believe, and I hear that supply has actually loosened up since then.

The hardest parts to get in my experience are LPKs, and I still found five sets in that two week period.

That is what I'm seeing on most of the web sites I have looked at is a 2,4 or 6 month wait.

MasterYong
06-02-2009, 3:35 PM
I'm not worried about the tools I don't mind buying them.

That is what I'm seeing on most of the web sites I have looked at is a 2,4 or 6 month wait.

Look harder. I thought the same thing, and I have found that many CalGunners are convinced that the lead time cannot be avoided. That's just outright false. NOW- I will concede that you may have to compromise on what kind of upper you want- for example, one upper I bought had a 16" bull barrel and I would have preferred something more lightweight but I can always change that later. For now, I have a 16" upper to shoot that is VERY high quality.

When I hadn't bought my lowers yet and I was just browsing I too was convinced that the lead times were that long, but once I got my lowers and actively started looking I was able to find everything I wanted.

The key is to look EVERYWHERE at ALL TIMES. During breaks from work (or if you're the IT guy like me you can just... nevermind.) Check all the sites. Check in the morning, evening, whenever you can without driving yourself crazy. As a result of the recent (and in many ways still current) panic int he market, a lot of sites have adopted a policy of not taking backorders. Just because a site says "no backorders" doesn't mean that they aren't going to get any uppers soon. One of my uppers was not available on one day, then the very next day was on the site with 50 available- then I ordered one. Twenty minutes later they were out of stock again and I got my upper about 5 days later, 2 days after I started looking.

You have to dedicate time in order to accomplish this in this market. BUT, you DO have a choice: dedicate time to looking for an upper, OR dedicate time to waiting for an upper.

nicoroshi
06-02-2009, 3:42 PM
I built my first rifle from parts.
Still one of my favorite to shoot.
Birth of a black rifle at my other home....Firingsquad.us (http://firingsquad.us/PHP/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=710)

yock
06-02-2009, 4:50 PM
Look harder. I thought the same thing, and I have found that many CalGunners are convinced that the lead time cannot be avoided. That's just outright false. NOW- I will concede that you may have to compromise on what kind of upper you want- for example, one upper I bought had a 16" bull barrel and I would have preferred something more lightweight but I can always change that later. For now, I have a 16" upper to shoot that is VERY high quality.

When I hadn't bought my lowers yet and I was just browsing I too was convinced that the lead times were that long, but once I got my lowers and actively started looking I was able to find everything I wanted.

The key is to look EVERYWHERE at ALL TIMES. During breaks from work (or if you're the IT guy like me you can just... nevermind.) Check all the sites. Check in the morning, evening, whenever you can without driving yourself crazy. As a result of the recent (and in many ways still current) panic int he market, a lot of sites have adopted a policy of not taking backorders. Just because a site says "no backorders" doesn't mean that they aren't going to get any uppers soon. One of my uppers was not available on one day, then the very next day was on the site with 50 available- then I ordered one. Twenty minutes later they were out of stock again and I got my upper about 5 days later, 2 days after I started looking.

You have to dedicate time in order to accomplish this in this market. BUT, you DO have a choice: dedicate time to looking for an upper, OR dedicate time to waiting for an upper.

That makes me feel better but the hunt is over for now my wife just got laid off from her job (more cut backs), till she gets a new job.

SJgunguy24
06-02-2009, 5:27 PM
Build the lower your self and buy the upper. I don't know what the lead times are and from what i've seen the prices are still inflated. Makes me glad I built my AR in October. My complete upper was 320 shipped:43: Your not gonna find deals like that anymore.

I was pricing parts for a buddy a couple months ago and it was a wash, build vs complete rifle. At that time lowers were 250$-350$

Your talking AR I assume, if not and you want AK then get a Saiga and convert back to AK configuration.